Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mods/CC Hidden Behind Patreon

ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
I’ve been coming across more and more modders hiding their mods/CC behind their Patreon for longer than what is allowed. EA has stated they are ok with them hiding mods/CC behind paywalls for a maximum of 3 weeks. After 3 weeks they HAVE to release that content so that it is available to the public.

The problem is many of these modders are NOT releasing the content to the public after 3 weeks. Some wait 4 weeks, 5, or whenever they get around to it. And others don’t release them AT ALL. The only way to download is to become a Patreon member.

Why do you think EA is refusing to hold these modders accountable? They are clearly going against their rules but no one is policing them. Why?

Comments

• DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    Yeah, at the end of April I noticed some CC I'd come across was locked behind Patreon's paywall until sometime in June.
    I thought that was excessive, and I've always wondered the legality behind it. I had no idea 3 weeks was an official rule from EA.

Maybe these particular ones just haven't gotten the attention of EA yet? I can't imagine why else they wouldn't be taking action.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Yeah, at the end of April I noticed some CC I'd come across was locked behind Patreon's paywall until sometime in June.
    I thought that was excessive, and I've always wondered the legality behind it. I had no idea 3 weeks was an official rule from EA.

Maybe these particular ones just haven't gotten the attention of EA yet? I can't imagine why else they wouldn't be taking action.

EA said that they would never create a team just to police the modding community. So I can only assume that they don’t really care either way. I guess unless they are overwhelmed with complaints about a particular mod or modder, they will just let it be which is unfortunate for us.
  • VikVik Posts: 125 Member
    I'm confused on why EA has a say in this. Modders are independent creators and they make something available or not because it's their creation and I have every right to. I usually wait for the public release and if it's not on their main page or some Sims cc or mod side, I check out their Patron and it's available to public.
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,144 Member
    Vik wrote: »
    I'm confused on why EA has a say in this. Modders are independent creators and they make something available or not because it's their creation and I have every right to. I usually wait for the public release and if it's not on their main page or some Sims cc or mod side, I check out their Patron and it's available to public.

Unless they have the permission from ea/maxis, they make money with a product named Sims 4, which they don't owned the intellectual property rights. The modders products are based on the work from Sims 4.

There a long list of legal cases from companies who sued people because of that issue. Mostly it started as fan service for a product but then these people want to makes money without paying the shares to the legal owner.
    edited May 2020
    Vik wrote: »

These modders are using this game to create the mods. This means they have to abide by the company who owns the game. In this case, EA has said modders can create mods for their game using things from the game AND profit from these creations IF they release these creations for public use for FREE within 3 weeks. As I said, the problem is some of these modders are NOT releasing the creations after 3 weeks, leaving them LOCKED behind the Patreon which is against the rules. This means the only way to download these particular mods is to JOIN their Patreon which is not following by the rules.

I am wondering why EA is not holding modders accountable to this 3 week rule.
  • FreshMeatFreshMeat Posts: 28 Member
    I agree, EA should not be involved in idepend creators and their mods. They have a lot important things to worry about, that they still don't.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    TSR and Mod The Sims have lost several of their top creators in the past year, and most of those creators moved to Patreon. But I haven't noticed how many of those are breaking the rule of never charging for access to their downloads. I know a few of them do give early access to their downloads if one donates through Patreon, though. I donate to a few creators through Patreon, and some I donate to directly through other means. And you're right, @Chazzzy, locking content behind a paywall is a big no-no in EA's mind. So it appears someone is not keeping track of what is happening. I'll be keeping my eye on the ones I am donating to, and if I see any indication of rule breaking, I won't donate another dime to that creator. My donation goes to help the creator create, not to line his/her pocket and force others to donate before getting access to stuff that has always been free in the past. Hearing this is going on really ticks me off. Thanks for the heads up.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Maybe if we make ea know... like it was said, ea said they wouldn't have a team policing modders. Maybe they don't know this is going on. I didn't and i used to look for new mods all the time...

Good think i've started playing vanilla again.
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    Paid mods/CC has been around since TS1. EA isn’t suddenly going to police something they largely ignored for 20 years.

Back in TS1 days, early access was not really a thing. Most TS1 CC sites had content that required you of paying. Be glad that most creators only have early access these days.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    One of the things about Mods is that they break as soon as a new patch comes out - all mods are about to be broken with the next big patch, and any firefighter or Ladder mods will be totally defunct.

Thing is, you do have to buy the game to use the mods.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I guess it's just because nobody really bothers to check, EA generally leaves modders to do their own thing. The regulations sound like they're probably done as more of a warning to scare people off of trying to charge for content than anything else. I think if a big modder started selling all of their mods individually though and it was getting a lot of attention then EA would step in but otherwise they just leave modders alone
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Everything I used pre-Sims4, was free. The one and only pay site I have ever paid a fee to use, is TSR. And that is mainly so I am not overrun with ads plus they have the best CC creators all in one place. TSR also keeps a history of my downloaded content so if something I am using no longer works, I have a file name to use which makes finding and deleting that content easy and fast. However, Sims4 has needed a lot of help to keep me loyal and I am using more mods now than I ever did in the past. I donate to those creators because I feel they deserve to be rewarded for their time and effort. It's my choice. But if some of these creators are creating mods and CC just for profit, I can't get on board with that. CC and mods have always been considered to be free content. And I guess one could say donating is the same as paying, but I still don't care for the idea of hiding content behind a paywall so the content is not available for everyone to download.
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    OK I don't know what gives anyone the idea that EA controls custom content because they don't. Think about it. Some of these modders hand draw content and they use a program (probably created by a modder) to turn it into content for the game. EA can not tell modders what to do with their content. I look as patreon as buying the creator a cup of coffee. Twitch has a similar way to monetize livestreams. It's not required. It's just saying thanks for great content and entertaining me for 3 hours. It's like they provided me a service.

The great debate between free content and paid content has been around for a longtime. Paysites have existed since the Sims 1. I look at Patreon differently than just a "paysite" because of the way it is presented to me. As far as I know they can provide exclusive content if they choose. Some players refuse to pay for cc and that's ok. To my understanding it is up to the creator to do what they want to do with their own content. There is no set timeframes that I am aware of. It's totally what the creator offers.

I am not a content creator and this is what I understand about cc/mods. If I am wrong. Shout out!
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    They are making unlawful money then if they dont abide by the rules.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
    AnnLee87 wrote: »
    OK I don't know what gives anyone the idea that EA controls custom content because they don't. Think about it. Some of these modders hand draw content and they use a program (probably created by a modder) to turn it into content for the game. EA can not tell modders what to do with their content. I look as patreon as buying the creator a cup of coffee. Twitch has a similar way to monetize livestreams. It's not required. It's just saying thanks for great content and entertaining me for 3 hours. It's like they provided me a service.

The great debate between free content and paid content has been around for a longtime. Paysites have existed since the Sims 1. I look at Patreon differently than just a "paysite" because of the way it is presented to me. As far as I know they can provide exclusive content if they choose. Some players refuse to pay for cc and that's ok. To my understanding it is up to the creator to do what they want to do with their own content. There is no set timeframes that I am aware of. It's totally what the creator offers.

I am not a content creator and this is what I understand about cc/mods. If I am wrong. Shout out!

You are incorrect. There is a timeframe. It is 3 weeks. This comes straight from EA. Modders have 3 weeks to release whatever content they create using The Sims games and assets to the public for free. Not doing so means they are going against the rules they have agreed to. This thread is saying that a lot of modders are NOT abiding by this 3 week rule. I am asking why would EA choose not to enforce this 3 week rule. It confounds me.
    izecson wrote: »
    They are making unlawful money then if they dont abide by the rules.

Exactly. And without anyone to enforce the 3 week rule, everyone will continue to do whatever they want.
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »
    Paid mods/CC has been around since TS1. EA isn’t suddenly going to police something they largely ignored for 20 years.

Back in TS1 days, early access was not really a thing. Most TS1 CC sites had content that required you of paying. Be glad that most creators only have early access these days.

This is how it was back then. You had sites like Simfreaks, 7/8 Deadly Sims, Simsnobs, loads of sites under the SimsHost umbrella. They had free stuff also, but the "best" stuff was only available to those who paid (also donations). I don't know if EA had the 3-week-rule at the time, though.

The creators (myself included) don't have ownership over the assets they are using, that is the intellectual property of EA. It doesn't matter if they make something from scratch, mesh and all, it still belongs to EA. If creators know EA is not going to enforce said rule .... some will of course push it. Money talks.
  • candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    I have noticed a lot of modders are putting their creations on patron I do not support this there are plenty of talented people who do not do this and they give it for free. I have downloaded items after they have been released from Patron and they didn't work in the game. Why would I pay money for something that does not work properly I then had to find the file and delete it. If you want me to spend my money then you better test it in your game before you put it up for purchase, regardless of an EA patch or not. They should make sure that it does work with a patch bad enough I have to pay top dollar for EA junk. At least it works.
  • shorty943pshorty943p Posts: 255 Member
    Some of the top modders, once respected, are now guilty of this. Don't hide behind the tag "prerelease" for 2 months.

Also content creation tools that demand more personal information than the FBI, before allowing you to download? S4S Guilty here.

And the reason, is simply a lack of ethics and morals. Or, education in that respect.
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited May 2020
    Well, not terribly concerned about it other than the 'creators' that are either taking the CAS clothing from packs for people to download who don't want to pay for the packs and the ones that's basically stealing others creations and selling it. (Name escapes me for the moment, but they rip meshes from other games and from things like IMVU, Second life and shove the majority of it all behind a pay wall.) OR my favorite thing. Creators who ask you to either pay for their patreon or go through multiple ad-fly links for the download to get that .0001 cent for each click. That's crazy if not scummy with the risks.

Honestly majority of creations from CC creators locked completely behind a paywall completely of are not of any quality. Between photo skinning clothing and skins, flat textures with 'fake' meshes for afro texture alpha hairs, deceiving preview pictures of CC, incomplete LODS, clothing /hair with holes in meshes, insanely high poly meshes with no optimization, clothing that only fits a certain body type for the sim because the creator was too lazy to add the proper morphs...I'd say good riddance. Odd people will still pay for it since it looks 'unique' even if it's rubbish, but people like what they like.

Eventually people that do have it for longer than two weeks will eventually release it regardless. It's just playing the waiting game.

Or if you're REALLY just wanting that item there are forums and Discords that do leaks patreon related CC and mods.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    EA has the rule so that when it starts cutting into earnings, they can shut them all down at once.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • peragogoperagogo Posts: 223 Member
    Kathykins wrote: »
    You had sites like Simfreaks, 7/8 Deadly Sims, Simsnobs, loads of sites under the SimsHost umbrella.
    Was not ready for those flashbacks.

• HoneyMcHoneyHoneyMcHoney Posts: 29 Member
    Can someone link me or tell me what EA's policy on this is now please? I heard on Tumblr that the Gurus had recently set out the dos and don'ts very specifically but I can't find it anywhere. Some creators are saying that if they make a new mesh then the creation is theirs and they can do with it what they want. I don't believe in paying for anything on the internet, it's purpose was to share information originally, however saying that I don't mind buying someone the equivalent of a coffee if I can especially if the product is particularly good or I know they need help. If I find something I like that charges and will not release in 3 weeks it usually pops up on pirate sites across the internet at some point.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Can someone link me or tell me what EA's policy on this is now please? I heard on Tumblr that the Gurus had recently set out the dos and don'ts very specifically but I can't find it anywhere. Some creators are saying that if they make a new mesh then the creation is theirs and they can do with it what they want. I don't believe in paying for anything on the internet, it's purpose was to share information originally, however saying that I don't mind buying someone the equivalent of a coffee if I can especially if the product is particularly good or I know they need help. If I find something I like that charges and will not release in 3 weeks it usually pops up on pirate sites across the internet at some point.

Well the creator is owner of the actual 3D mesh asset, that is true. But in order to get "their" mesh into the game and be functioning, they must clone a game asset made by EA, which essentially replaces the shape of an item with the creator's mesh. So that is why EA technically "owns" a creator's CC. Without EA allowing their assets to be cloned then there would be no feasible way for a creator to get their new asset into the game.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited September 2020
    elelunicy wrote: »

That’s funny, I don’t remember any paid cc sites in the TS1 days. I remember everything being free. I downloaded cc back then, and I couldn’t have paid for it at that time.

Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley: