Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

(solved & closed) Getting new computer but is it okay for TS4?

SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,887 Member
Soo my family is considering getting new computer
which will be mainly for my mom and dad to watch shows and browse things

((so obviously I am not looking at like pro gamer specs or anything here))

but I would still love if it could possibly run TS4 with all packs
so I could take some burden off my poor old bad performance laptop
(I don't play other games so those no worry)

so if someone knows is following specs enough for that?

ACER NITRO N50-600 GTX1050

Windows 10
64 bit
Intel Core i5-9400F (2,9 GHz, 6 processors)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (3 GB GDDR5)
RAM: 8 GB DDR4 RAM
Storage: 256 GB M.2 SSD

(also sorry probably wrong category but I dunno what is right one)
⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
Post edited by Simmingal on

Comments

• SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    If you're buying this to only play The Sims 4 and its expansion packs (on high settings) I think it's absolutely fine. You can check out the recommended specs for The Sims 4 here: https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/system-requirements and see that they are fully met.
    Now I find it also depends on your playstyle. When I play I do a lot of scrolling around, zooming in and out and it does drop the frame rate occasionally (I have a gtx 1060 6gb). But it's barely noticeable.

Also if you are planning to invest in a PC that you're gonna have for a long time and let's say in a few years The Sims 5 comes out you're probably going to still be able to play but maybe you'll need to upgrade your graphics for the ultra settings, just a guess.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,887 Member
    If you're buying this to only play The Sims 4 and its expansion packs (on high settings) I think it's absolutely fine. You can check out the recommended specs for The Sims 4 here: https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/system-requirements and see that they are fully met.
    Now I find it also depends on your playstyle. When I play I do a lot of scrolling around, zooming in and out and it does drop the frame rate occasionally (I have a gtx 1060 6gb). But it's barely noticeable.

Also if you are planning to invest in a PC that you're gonna have for a long time and let's say in a few years The Sims 5 comes out you're probably going to still be able to play but maybe you'll need to upgrade your graphics for the ultra settings, just a guess.

thank you for answers :blush:

and yeah its mostly just going to be used by my parents for small things and me playing sims since my trash laptop just can't handle amount of packs anymore and I need quick solution :sweat_smile:

for ts5 I may even get new laptop (or i may not even jump on bandwagon) so that is not a big issue of the moment

just needs to handle ts4 and its many many packs :joy:
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Just two thoughts - first, Sims 5 is probably not coming out for three or four more years.

And second, laptops will always fail with games. You know those people who complain about loading times? They're all playing on a Laptop. You can't upgrade a laptop, and that means that you're stuck if the specs go up again.

So depending on your budget, always future proof.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
    Loanet wrote: »
    Just two thoughts - first, Sims 5 is probably not coming out for three or four more years.

And second, laptops will always fail with games. You know those people who complain about loading times? They're all playing on a Laptop. You can't upgrade a laptop, and that means that you're stuck if the specs go up again.

Yeah I meant if you buy a PC you want to have it for more than 2-3 years. When I bought mine I wanted it to be good enough for games that might come out in 2-3 years from now.

Also laptops are a major mistake. I played Sims on laptops for 10 years and I always had massive issues with overheating, I could never play in higher graphics than low/medium and the biggest problem was that they were too expensive.
    Buying a laptop with as high specs as a PC is much more expensive so PCs are almost always better and cheaper.
  • MrSunshineMrSunshine Posts: 99 Member
    Your laptop is adequate, I think. The SSD for the storage means your loading time will be quite fast. However, GTX 1050 couldn't make you able to play sims 4 on high or ultra setting comfortably. The size of your SSD could give you problem in the future, especially when you love to save screenshots or videos.

If you have bigger budget, I suggest you to find laptop with better graphic card. Storage drive could always be upgraded, but it is not the case with graphic card.
    edited May 2020
    Oh the computer i put specs for is desktop though so no worries :sweat_smile:

sorry i got yall confused with laptop talk~

I was just noting that my laptop needs change before ts5 too so I don't really look for ts5/future big games kind of specs rn just ones to play ts4 and its packs nice enough :smile:

the computer will stay with my parents if i move out so it really doesnt need to be all "future gaming gear" just needs to work for my sims 4 needs while I am at home and haven't yet completely broken my old laptop to justify replacing it :sweat_smile:
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited May 2020
    Loanet wrote: »

Yeah I meant if you buy a PC you want to have it for more than 2-3 years. When I bought mine I wanted it to be good enough for games that might come out in 2-3 years from now.

Also laptops are a major mistake. I played Sims on laptops for 10 years and I always had massive issues with overheating, I could never play in higher graphics than low/medium and the biggest problem was that they were too expensive.
    Buying a laptop with as high specs as a PC is much more expensive so PCs are almost always better and cheaper.

That lapdop is adequate right now. Will it be adequate next year when Farm Life turns up? A single upgradable PC is much better value than having to buy two laptops (and better for the environment too!). Heck, a laptop will always be more expensive than a PC of the same power. Sure, it's portable, but you're looking to play a single-player game here. And your parents want to share anyway.

Do you know why Laptops get hot? If a laptop gets hot, that means it's working too hard. That's why laptops aren't for gaming. Plus games wipe out batteries much faster. The most powerful are meant for graphics designers and don't get as hot. I can leave my PC on all night and it will be fine because they have real cooling fans.

Occasionally when I've just loaded up a game, the screen can stock for a few seconds as it finishes the job, but most of the time the frame's fine - on my five-year-PC.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
    Simmingal wrote: »

I was just noting that my laptop needs change before ts5 too so I don't really look for ts5/future big games kind of specs rn just ones to play ts4 and its packs nice enough :smile:

the computer will stay with my parents if i move out so it really doesnt need to be all "future gaming gear" just needs to work for my sims 4 needs while I am at home and haven't yet completely broken my old laptop to justify replacing it :sweat_smile:

Sorry we kinda got off-topic. When The Sims 5 comes out I would really advise you to reconsider buying a laptop for it. I know it's kind of early but I bought a laptop just for The Sims 4 and I went through hell I don't want it to happen to you too. I got one that was just good enough to play The Sims 4 paid 700 Euros and after they did the graphics update and I also installed some expansions that laptop was melting. Then I bought a PC for the same price (700 Euros) and I run Sims 4 with all the expansions on ultra settings.
    If the Sims 5 ever comes out you can think about that again :lol:

But yeah you're gonna be fine with the PC you want to buy, maybe it won't be as smooth on ultra settings and as far as the storage on the SSD goes, I think you'll be fine since Sims 4 is not very big even with expansions but if you find yourself running out of space you can always buy an extra hard drive.
    Simmingal wrote: »

Sorry we kinda got off-topic. When The Sims 5 comes out I would really advise you to reconsider buying a laptop for it. I know it's kind of early but I bought a laptop just for The Sims 4 and I went through hell I don't want it to happen to you too. I got one that was just good enough to play The Sims 4 paid 700 Euros and after they did the graphics update and I also installed some expansions that laptop was melting. Then I bought a PC for the same price (700 Euros) and I run Sims 4 with all the expansions on ultra settings.
    If the Sims 5 ever comes out you can think about that again :lol:

aw its okay i get what you mean
    aren't I after all another player that has been playing ts4 on cursed laptop for few years now :lol:

anything can happen before ts5 really
    I may just not like ts5 too or there can be new types of computers to solve my never ending portability + sims problem

future is a mystery

• RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Laptops can be great too. My 2015 MacBook Pro can play on Ultra with lots of CC, and I get to play in bed. :)
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley: