The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Simmers, welcome! - Community’s tips & tricks to get started

Comments

• tischidlytischidly Posts: 18 Member
    > What are the things you wished you had known when you were getting started with The Sims?

I know I'm new to the forums, but I've been playing the sims for a long time---for the past seven years I think? Holy, haha

Anyways, as I've gotten older, I've realized just how much money I could save with the sims 4. Like, don't buy anything full price. The Sims are on sale every two seconds, it feels like, so literally just exercise some patience and you'll get some great deals. For instance, I got the Sims 4 base game for five dollars! And I know others who got it for free. So chill friends, your patience will be rewarded.

Second, mods are literally the best thing ever. Some people complain that they don't know what to do in the Sims, or that they get bored, but I feel like mods are literally the best way to overcome any sort of boredom. The modding community is so large and great so literally take advantage of it. I wouldn't say that I have a large mod collection (in comparison to some 😂) but the mods that I do have make the experience so much more enjoyable. Also it isn't even hard to put mods in anymore haha. Mods are just so great & I <3 modders.

CC too omg!! CC is so wonderful. Me, I'm a maxis match girly, but I've seen people use CC to make the most Barbie Doll looking characters. Idk I think CC makes the CAS experience so diverse, and it's so fun! Like dressing up your characters in all of these beautiful pieces. Babe, if I wasn't worried about my laptop puffpuffpuffing away my library would be so large. So love for my cc homies too <3

Read 😭 Okay, this might seem obvious, but when I was younger I literally read little and then just assumed I understood things and made up the details that I didn't know and then gaslit myself into believing that those details were the truth. Like when I got my mum to buy me the Sims 3, I was like "yeah, with Supernatural comes all of these features" but, in fact, those features came from different packs... anyways understand what it is you're buying friends <3

Lastly, Deaderpool's MCCC is essential for the sims 4. Like, it seems confusing but it really isn't and even if you don't use it's soo good with background things. But honestly, if you learn MCCC and its features, your sims game experience will be so much improved. And the cool part about MCCC is the way it offers clarification for Last Exceptions and issues you might run into. So yar.
  • AshCatSimsAshCatSims Posts: 1 New Member
    I don’t know if this is the correct place to ask but there seems to be a bug in my game since the update where I can’t publish my books. Self publishing nor selling to a publisher works. When I click the mailbox both options show up but the book is all greyed out and I can’t click on it. Idk what to do. I don’t have a crazy amount of mods installed and it’s only been happening since the patch update
  • GageaGagea Posts: 1,275 Member
    AshCatSims wrote: »
    I don’t know if this is the correct place to ask but there seems to be a bug in my game since the update where I can’t publish my books. Self publishing nor selling to a publisher works. When I click the mailbox both options show up but the book is all greyed out and I can’t click on it. Idk what to do. I don’t have a crazy amount of mods installed and it’s only been happening since the patch update

Even if you only have just a few mods/CC installed, tzthey could need an update after the last patch. So move your mods folder to the desktop, delete localthumbcache.package in your user folder and then check the game. If the issue is there without mods/cc you can report it over at AHQ.
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member

For the "Get to Work" Expansion, if playing the Detective career, should save the game before going to the crime scene. (Before joining the Sim at work actually) Then when you find out which lot it chooses, it's possible there will not be enough electronics and/or appliances to gather enough clues/evidence.
    If so, load the save, got to that lot in build mode first, add a few random electronics/appliances like a TV or Fridge or whatever.

When you then go to the scene there will be enough to complete the gather evidence.

(A glitch, I know)
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,467 Member
    A essential gameplay tip if you have a toddler in game. Sell the high chair and drag food from the to floor or table. Toddlers can pick it up from the floor or grab it off the table and eat it. Also if you have a gardener sim, toddlers can eat fresh fruit and veg you put in their inventory and they get a buff from it.

The high chair animations are really cute, but it's a nightmare to use, as every adult in the house including guests will interrupt you trying to feed the toddler in it.

I believe, although I haven't yet experienced it, that this highchair drama was fixed for the new EP.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,836 Member
    edited March 2023
    Yes! Yes! Minisprite and I have used the highchair in a save with an infant that we're playing and it works pretty much the way it should! At long last!
    (We don't have Growing Together)
    Post edited by mightysprite on
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member
    I believe, although I haven't yet experienced it, that this highchair drama was fixed for the new EP.

I've been wondering about that too. Though I've been assuming it has been fixed/improved with the last major upgrade patch.

Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Simmy21Simmy21 Posts: 2 New Member
    A bit odd to ask, but I'm finding it very hard to create a sim that looks like me and my girlfriend, would any kind, nice person be willing to do such a thing and by any chance post it on the gallery for me?
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,277 Member
    Simmy21 wrote: »
    A bit odd to ask, but I'm finding it very hard to create a sim that looks like me and my girlfriend, would any kind, nice person be willing to do such a thing and by any chance post it on the gallery for me?

Hello @Simmy2... :)

You can post your request for sims that you want made over in the thread that I will provide for you... :)
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/1000051/dna-request-team-bringing-ideas-to-life/p1
  • HeyJewelHeyJewel Posts: 13 New Member
    @morpo
    I'm not 100% sure this will work, but could you add a separate platform and put walls on that and then raise the terrain? Or put the part of the house that does have a foundation on a platform instead, paint the sides of the platform to look like foundation, and then have a flat platform for the lower part? I may be totally wrong, sorry if I am!
  • AlleyKat213AlleyKat213 Posts: 58 Member
    It took me until Sims 4 to learn how to build a roof on top of the house! I always thought the roofs were complicated to add and hardly ever messed with them, but now, I'm adding them as a champ... Also, if you have Seasons, a thermostat would come in handy during the winter and summer months
  • gamingWstakczgamingWstakcz Posts: 2 New Member
    I’m new here can y’all add me
  • RieferballRieferball Posts: 36 Member
    Hi everyone, I don't know if this is a stupid question, but I just found this forum today and I wanted to add a new discussion. But I can't see how. Or maybe I need to find an appropriate existing discussion, not sure. Basically I want to ask if anyone's seeing the same bug I am, before I open a ticket with EA about it. Although I opened one about a month ago on another issue and haven't had any response, so not sure how fast those move. I've searched for both my issues on google and didn't see anyone mentioning either of them, but I wanted to ask here.
    Rieferball wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I don't know if this is a stupid question, but I just found this forum today and I wanted to add a new discussion. But I can't see how. Or maybe I need to find an appropriate existing discussion, not sure. Basically I want to ask if anyone's seeing the same bug I am, before I open a ticket with EA about it. Although I opened one about a month ago on another issue and haven't had any response, so not sure how fast those move. I've searched for both my issues on google and didn't see anyone mentioning either of them, but I wanted to ask here.

@Rieferball, I've posted on your wall on how to become a full member on the site so that you can eventually start a new thread and such... 😀
    Ah, so it's simply because I'm not a full member yet? Makes sense that I couldn't see how, then. Thank you for your reply!
    And I just found my wall, I didn't know what you were talking about at first. Thanks so much again, lots of good tips there!
    Rieferball wrote: »
    And I just found my wall, I didn't know what you were talking about at first. Thanks so much again, lots of good tips there!

You're welcome @Rieferball... :)
  • Behappy1stBehappy1st Posts: 711 Member
    If you're thinking about trying the 100 baby challenge here's a couple of things I do that helps. First I don't try for baby on the first day. Instead I talk to as many men as I can find, even travel to different worlds. That way I can invite them over even when I have a ton of kids to look after. And when things slow down I go out and do it again. The second thing I do is after a successful try for baby I ask to just be friends. Then you keep a friend but have no anger or jealousy issues. I have my teens learn to cook for the skill they need to age up. Now I have a frig full of food. And it helps them when they move out. They will know how to cook. And did you know kids can teach toddlers on the blocks ( it goes up faster if they are helped). The garbage can that pays, easy money. Instead of teens getting jobs I just have them help keep order so I have more time to go out and meet men. Or work in the house paint, write, hack, etc. I hop around on Aspirations depending on what I'm doing to get as many points that I can. Then I buy the traits incredibly friendly and observant, boy does that help a lot. Its the little things that help a lot.
  • Leilaxx22Leilaxx22 Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi I’m new
  • Behappy1stBehappy1st Posts: 711 Member
    Leilaxx22 wrote: »
    Hi I’m new

Welcome !!!
  • AthenaditeAthenadite Posts: 9 New Member
    Hello! I've been playing Sims for a couple of years and finally have made a Sims Forum account. I look forward to being here!
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,836 Member
    Hi and welcome @Athenadite :)