Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Nobility homes - how is your policy re family paintings?

So, knowing many of you play either a royal family or noble households such as dukes ad barons. In such homes there will normally be some large painting showing a larger group or just the regent/peer. In my houses they mostly have a large painting of the first Duke, and I forget to get the following peers on the wall. And if I remember, I constantly need to debate with myself whether painting only the Duke (maybe Duke + Duchess), or a bigger line up including all their children. Even more delicate would be to involve close relatives as well, perhaps when they are all in their regalia (I use that stuff for the dukes, although they might belong more to the royals).

Anyway, do you follow any kind of rules when it comes to those formal paintings? What age, how often, how big a group?

Btw, I'm no longer doing those paintings through actual painting them. I rather use Sims4Studio to add the pictures to one of those larger frames, I find it looks more impressive, LOL. In my 3 minutes NEWS video linked here you can see 2 of those older family paintings. They are only showing a single sim, though. Sorry, don't have a screenshot.
Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg

Comments

• SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    We have child photographs of Queen Elizabeth II, because even when her father was merely Albert, Duke of York, his daughter as a Royal Highness and the daughter of a peer was considered worth documenting in portraiture. There are paintings as well, such as by the notable portrait painter, Philip de László.

Noble or royal households would feature galleries not only of the incumbent peer, but all of their ancestors, and the longer the lineage, the better,
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,659 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »
    We have child photographs of Queen Elizabeth II, because even when her father was merely Albert, Duke of York, his daughter as a Royal Highness and the daughter of a peer was considered worth documenting in portraiture. There are paintings as well, such as by the notable portrait painter, Philip de László.

Noble or royal households would feature galleries not only of the incumbent peer, but all of their ancestors, and the longer the lineage, the better,

Thanks! But in my game I need a way to limit the number of paintings, so I try to paint each peer only once. Just wanted to know if others produce frequent paintings. And if other family members than peers (and spouse) are involved. And like if the painting is done on coronation day or later, and like if a peer has 5 kids, if they all get portrait, or only main heir, etc.

It's so much easier these days when we simply can take a photo how often we like. Rigging for a family painting is a bit more tedious :) I tend to do it only once per household, but might then make one group painting and one single person portrait.
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    edited February 2020
    I don't have nobles or rules, but I do kind of have a legacy and a sim who thinks he's something special so I have his portrait (it's CC) in one of their homes.

If I had rules, I'd probably do it like this: a portrait of him, one of him + wife, individual portrait of each vampire child, group generational picture that includes him, his wife, and the children of that generation once they're young adults.

That's what I'm actually trying to go with, but I'm not that particular and my sims just have lots of family pictures up.

Here are two samples to give everyone a better idea. These are random screencaps, but you can sort of see what I have in the background of these two pictures.
    U24dHNt.jpg

(vampire children)
    KNznpxY.jpg
    haneul wrote: »
    I don't have nobles or rules, but I do kind of have a legacy and a sim who thinks he's something special so I have his portrait (it's CC) in one of their homes.

If I had rules, I'd probably do it like this: a portrait of him, one of him + wife, individual portrait of each vampire child, group generational picture that includes him, his wife, and the children of that generation once they're young adults.

That's what I'm actually trying to go with, but I'm not that particular and my sims just have lots of family pictures up.

Here are two samples to give everyone a better idea. These are random screencaps, but you can sort of see what I have in the background of these two pictures.
    U24dHNt.jpg

(vampire children)
    KNznpxY.jpg

Thanks for sharing! Love your interior and photos! I recall that open door, I might follow you on tumblr, must check :)

I too prefer cc portraits over paintings, but I try doing a mix, and I have some great cc frames to add to the painted works making them look quite proper for the rooms they are meant to decorate. I also take photos, the large one is still small compared to the massive paintings, though. But the medium and small are super for surfaces like a fire place or office desk etc. Nobles would probably avoid the typical selfies, though :)
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,142 Member
    I always try to paint them when they are young adults, each of them alone.

But If they were a royal family, I would paint them a lot - in every life stage, alone and together. I mean especially the ruler, his partner and the heir, maybe the inner family together too. The other members I would try alone and in an official group portrait after a big event like a wedding. Basically I would do what real-life royalties do.
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member
    How do you make CC paintings to add to the game. That is something I may like to do.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

Admiral8Q wrote: »
    How do you make CC paintings to add to the game. That is something I may like to do.

You will need sims4studio, free fan software. Then you can add swatches to existing EA made paintings, by importing your own jpg files. It helps to be a bit tech savvy, but it's not very difficult. If you know your way around PhotoShop you will get the rest easily.
    edited February 2020
    Cheers.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• LuxuryLuxury Posts: 127 Member
    I take a new family portrait every time the youngest in the family ages up, individually everyone gets a picture upon age up starting at toddler and going up.

I don't include extended family or other nobles and mainly focus on the main royal family, so if the sister to my Monarch is still living in the castle as an unmarried YA she won't be included in pictures because she's no longer in the main family.
    I just stopped laughing :lol: I was planning a new routine for those paintings and photos, and thought it would be cool to have all ladies of the house on the walls of a specially dedicated room. Then I automatically named that room the "Ladies Room", but I guess I'll need to come up with a better name :lol:
    I just stopped laughing :lol: I was planning a new routine for those paintings and photos, and thought it would be cool to have all ladies of the house on the walls of a specially dedicated room. Then I automatically named that room the "Ladies Room", but I guess I'll need to come up with a better name :lol:

That is funny!
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    About to make a non important sim to make one portrait of the Royal family I created for Windenburg.
    Did it. Took longer than it should have.
    edited April 2020
    Rosysimmer wrote: »

Just keep in mind that if you delete that less important painter after the job is done, the artist's name will no longer show on the paintings. Normally that will probably be fine, unless that name is a biggie and part of your story. If a played sim dies and gravestone is kept, I think the artist name will still be displayed in painting info.

Also adding that photos and paintings can be enlarged/upscaled. The quality of a medium photo is remarkable good even if upscaled a couple times. If you have CC frames they can be upscaled too, and I had no problem finding matching sizes as they probably use the same steps for resizing.
    Post edited by Simmerville on
    @Simmerville I know. I just typed random letters since she isn't a necessary sim. Just needed her for the painting, none else.
    Rosysimmer wrote: »

Just keep in mind that if you delete that less important painter after the job is done, the artist's name will no longer show on the paintings. Normally that will probably be fine, unless that name is a biggie and part of your story. If a played sim dies and gravestone is kept, I think the artist name will still be displayed in painting info.

Also adding that photos and paintings can be enlarged/upscaled. The quality of a medium photo is remarkable good even if upscaled a couple times. If you have CC frames they can be upscaled too, and I had no problem finding matching sizes as they probably use the same steps for resizing.

Where can you get CC frames for paintings? :o
    I'm a bit tired of the boring standard ones.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

Check out this link to see frames by Jools. They are quite many, I found it smart to limit the total number a bit. They will take up several rows in your game catalog. Each comes in various colors, so there will still be a good variety to choose from.

Jools also have nice frames for photos + a lot of other nice stuff.

https://jools-simming.tumblr.com/post/125864279590/frames-this-is-a-set-of-7-different-frames-that