Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are your sims rich or poor?

Comments

• SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    Both (no preference)
    I do try to have a good mix. Those who are wealthy normally own stocks etc, they don't necessarily live in huuuge mansions.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • lacianalaciana Posts: 29 Member
    Both (no preference)
    It depends on the story I have in mind for them. I have an elder Sim who started out poor and became a best selling author. She now lives in a mansion with her materialistic and snobby granddaughter. I have another Sim who started out as a barista, and is still a barista.
  • orangehippogrifforangehippogriff Posts: 946 Member
    keekee53 wrote: »
    I would say I am a rags to riches type player. All of my sims start off poor and make their way. Some get rich faster than others but some also lose money along the way depending on their lifestyle.

On a side note we really need more things to spend money on. When my sims get rich, I have a hard time getting rid of the money without cheating it away. I have been having some of my more wealthier sims stop working because they really don't need anymore money. The landgraabs are sitting with 8 million in a vault and 6 million in their household funds. HOW AM I GOING TO GET RID OF ALL THAT MONEY??

If you have Seasons you could give random sims money as a gift, but then again that doesn't really seem like the Landgraabs
  • CherryBerryCloudCherryBerryCloud Posts: 689 Member
    edited September 2020
    Rags to riches (but I continue playing them / generational play)
    Deleted
    Post edited by CherryBerryCloud on
    Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too truly to be fearful of the night.

Ha'aheo, e hoʻomau i kō kāua aloha, kau a kau.
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member
    edited February 2020
    Both (no preference)
    What about riches to rags? Let's say a Sim, or household goes down to 0 silmoleons. Can you still play them? Or do they just go to off world as npc's?
    I mean could they live on the street, (not a house or apartment), busking, or something?
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    My sims are usually poor
    If my sims aren't scraping pennies out of the laundry just to afford a decent meal, I'm not having a good time.
  • PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    My sims are usually rich
    Motherlode baby!
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    My sims are usually rich
    Motherlode is my friend. I don't have time to watch my sims play out the struggle. I do that every day. This is my escape.
  • Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    Both (no preference)
    It depends on my plan for the household. I have a mix of poor, middle and upper class sims.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I really enjoy playing rags to riches. I just wish there were more rags and worn out things for Sims to build and wear and decorate with that's all. Sims 1 and 2 and 3 it was much easier to play poorer Sims with.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • TeeSeaTeeSea Posts: 1,556 Member
    Both (no preference)
    It depends on how I want to play.
  • KerrigannKerrigann Posts: 7 New Member
    It used to depend on the story I was trying to make. I've had extremely wealthy families, and poor families. When I do a poor family though, it tends to turn into an unofficial rags to riches.

I have found through the family I'm playing right now that a modified rags to riches (modified by combining it with other challenges) that is off the grid with a solar panels mod is how I enjoy playing the game the most. I plan to continue playing this family for a long time as I haven't lost interest anywhere near as quickly as I usually do.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited February 2020
    Both (no preference)
    I play with all different socioeconomic levels. I do sometimes use motherlode and kaching to set up households or to maintain certain characters' positions in the save. There is generally a background for it.

I do have some poorer households that scrape by. There's also sometimes drama about who marries who. I let the sims fall in love with whoever they really seem to click with, that sometimes creates drama for the parents.

For example, Sergio's determined that his daughters will marry wealthy young men with high status who will help them to get ahead. The older daughter, Viviana, fell for "the hottest guy at school", Bastien de Claire, who has the right social background. It's practically an arranged marriage but Bastien can't stop thinking about the cute science nerd at school, Greta Munch. Yes, that's the plot to a lot of 80's teen movies but that's just kind of what has happened. Will Bastien break Viviana's heart and shock his parents or will he do what's expected?

Meh, it's entertaining. There are a lot of different households and plotlines. They aren't all 80's movies. Having households from different backgrounds makes it more interesting. I also now make it so that the plot is driven by the characters running into each other randomly a lot.

Two sims only date if they meet each other in some logical way. I'm generally not forcing the plot to happen in certain directions most of the time. It's not all drama but drama is part of life sometimes. Bjorn seemed to constantly get into drama and there are still a few sims like that. There are plenty of happy and mellow families too.

In terms of poverty, I have a few households. I have a character who is just a part-time baby sitter living in a trailer in StrangerVille. She barely has money and is probably going to be a single parent. There's also the guy living in the shipwreck who scavenges and doesn't even know there is a town in Sulani. There are some sims who are "house poor" with nice houses but not a lot of cash.

Several households are criminals. Those households are genuinely devious in numerous ways. Most of my sims are functional and happy, but if they are evil then there's typically an explanation. They aren't like the other households.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • blueyblueskyblueybluesky Posts: 1,372 Member
    Both (no preference)
    I've been playing rotationally, so it's kind of a mix. One is rich, while another struggles to pay the bills, then I have one that's sort of inbetween.
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,374 Member
    edited February 2020
    Both (no preference)
    They start poor and get richer later. I don't use cheats to give them money, they earn everything themselves, except if they marry a rich person. My actor Sim married Judith Ward because of money and more fame, but he divorced her later.
    Post edited by Kimmer on
  • misty4mmisty4m Posts: 2,266 Member
    Mixed really, some are rich, some or middle class and some are doing okay not poor but enough money to make it.
    new.png
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited February 2020
    Rags to riches, baby (then I ditch them)
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    Glad I'm not the only one who does this. And yes, retire probably sounds better than ditch :joy: I also agree that it's super nice to live in a world full of families like that, and I also tend to drop most sims into existing saves. Actually, nearly all my sims eventually end up in my oldest save and I always enjoy returning to it for that very reason. There are sooo many families in it with great backstories, so many sims that started out poor, worked their way up, had families, sometimes I managed to get to the third generation or so. They marry each other, etc. It's definitely better than having a world full of townies and premades, that's for sure!

I really envy people who can go from poor to rich, then stick with the families through multiple generations. I've never been able to do this in any of the sims games actually :(

I totally understand what you are saying about envying players who can stick with a family throughout the generations, but at least for me, the fact that rich Sims are boring to play for me is only part of the reason I play this way. Otherwise I would just be starting new saves when I get bored. The other reason is, I really get attached to my Sims. But if I keep playing them, they have to age up and at some point the Sim I started out with will turn into Elders and die. I have a hard time with that, so I mark them as unplayed when their lives are perfect. I switch between turning aging on and off for unplayed Sims and on long lifespan, and because I switch betweeen saves a lot all my Sims are around for a really long time. But I have to be able to make and add new Sims, so for me this is the best way to play without having hundreds of active households and it keeps the game interesting for me.

That is such a good idea though!! I feel almost exactly the same as you :D I hate it when they really start to age and die out one by one. And I also noticed that once they've gotten to a certain point in wealth and story, I feel a bit paralised as to what I should do next with them. So maybe I should try this, mark them as unplayed, then turn on MCCC and see how their little lives continue on without me.
  • zozzozozzo Posts: 4 New Member
    My sims are usually rich
    I like to start my games off and pull the "motherlode" out right away! lol i guess i just like to start in the middle of their lives. (when they already have had well paying jobs for many years or have rich parents)
  • simskicosimskico Posts: 41 Member
    Both (no preference)
    I've played with all kinds of households tbh. When I was younger, I would spam the motherload until I hit over a few millions lmao, but recently I've been enjoying playing the game with my households actually surviving on their income - which can go both ways. I've ended up with super successful families, but I've also had families that have been struggling to get by, so yeah, I guess it depends for me!
  • alyssa123alyssa123 Posts: 323 Member
    Both (no preference)
    depends on their careers and how often i play their household
    when gravity falls and the earth becomes sky, fear the beast with just one eye
  • FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    I like seeing my sims succeed, and there's usually enough in their personal life, hobbies and family to keep things interesting for me. I never find even the most extreme "rags" starting condition all that difficult, so it's not a substantial difference in terms of challenge once they have money anyway.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Rags to riches, baby (then I ditch them)
    So for those that picked rich, I kinda wonder if your sims live in big houses? Maybe this should be a separate poll but I actually wondered about this after I moved my awesome survived-through-college-with-parttime-job-sim and her new fiancee to a penthouse and lost nearly all interest in playing them 😂 the thing about big houses is that sims take soooo 🐸🐸🐸🐸 long to walk from a to b, and everything looks far less cozy around the home. So I just can't be bothered anymore? So do your rich sims still live in small cozy places or do they just have it all? And if they do have it all, what's your motivation to ever get them out of the house?
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    My sims are usually rich
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    So for those that picked rich, I kinda wonder if your sims live in big houses? Maybe this should be a separate poll but I actually wondered about this after I moved my awesome survived-through-college-with-parttime-job-sim and her new fiancee to a penthouse and lost nearly all interest in playing them 😂 the thing about big houses is that sims take soooo 🌺🌺🌺🌺 long to walk from a to b, and everything looks far less cozy around the home. So I just can't be bothered anymore? So do your rich sims still live in small cozy places or do they just have it all? And if they do have it all, what's your motivation to ever get them out of the house?

some have bigger homes and some have smaller homes, it depends on what they need, I don't tend to give them everything just because they can afford it. Not a fan of gigantic houses and rooms either, they tend to look empty and cold...I need my clutter to feel cozy.
    I mostly make them rich so I don't have to worry about money, and so I can move them into the home I want for them at the start, but not to make them live large and all that.
    For example Vlad has almost 200.000 Simoleons in my game and I have him living in one of the tiny, rundown apartments with the "needs TLC" trait with a roommate.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    Both (no preference)
    In my case, I play the first generation sims and they become a rich. then they get a baby. After that, I notice some bugs around whole town. Then I save them into library and open them in the new game. Most of the bugs have gone but my sim family become poor again, then they start to earn money from the entirely beginning and it repeats. Recent sims I've been playing moved into the new game 5 or 6 times already. So they are currently poor again. I don't use motherlode. That's why my sims get rich and poor over and over.
  • keene61keene61 Posts: 259 Member
    Both (no preference)
    When I play with generations of sims, I'll go back and forth between a working generation and a non-working generation. They only go back to work when they get low on funds and it gives me the chance to build up employable skills, too.