Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are your sims rich or poor?

SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
I was just curious how many of you play with poor vs. rich sims and why. I tend to love my sims most when they're struggling, but then I do want them to advance in their lives etc. It's just that once they're rich, and they've got everything they need at home, they also usually become kind of uninteresting to me :D So any tips as to what I can do to handle that are also welcome!
Post edited by SimTrippy on

Are your sims rich or poor? 218 votes

My sims are usually rich
23%
LeGardePourpreCamkatshadyladynzIsb917Simburianilovejewel17simgirl1010SxcDannii202Javi182JodainbluelightingPlumbobCrossingphantasmkissMistress_LuxafullspiralLoriTSppammiechickcatitude5ChuChuExpressLyrie 51 votes
My sims are usually poor
7%
OneAdorkableGirlxbecky685xCorkysPetalsasimbsimSageRainWillowelanorbretonthecatsredbizuktagNationalPokedexmusteniSeaDragonSonghappyopiidoliseQueenofMyshunollamasflueilemaTheRepoManSam 17 votes
Rags to riches, baby (then I ditch them)
6%
GdurmaleashahamptonCarlottleGirklAnnLee87NetzspannungKarababy52EnkiSchmidtStutumMDianaSimsSimTrippyJojoMOMSTERminkydpainthatsnotswegPlacebo7 15 votes
Rags to riches (but I continue playing them / generational play)
23%
Frn0731GoldmoldarEuphorialQueenlisamwittMi9shaoscarkeekee53MeteoraStormchrstal27haneulIrdiwenBeardedgeekMariefoxprice83BoergeAarg61alanmichael1cmbaker16MiaSkywalkerLustianiciaAquariusMomCary1213motdk 52 votes
Both (no preference)
38%
bshag4lvverlainemLaBlue0314jeepjeepcatIceyJSimmervilleCabelle1863mollymegan82TWSimGamer82Colorist40Reaper1340mcruddBloosmooThunderbat87Jeansooluthienrisinggoodcakebaker62icftlduwitchypieMindofy 83 votes

Comments

• ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    Start poor, earn everything by merit and work, become filthily rich. No cheating.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I try to get to the 10th generation. Then i start a new save.
  • OriginalNameOriginalName Posts: 347 Member
    Both (no preference)
    Both. Some make money anyway possible; Dragon Fruit, Painting, Writing Books, etc. It still has to sort of fit their "personality", but I have a few renaissance sims.

Other's can only make money in certain ways. So those take longer to start leading a life were money becomes less of a problem.

And I have a Rags to Riches sim in my play order now. He can't make any money by selling stuff out of his inventory, so it'll take a little longer for him to have a proper house and stuff. Also no gardening other than to grow food for himself, and no painting.
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    I like to use the word "retire" when I mark a household as unplayed, but essentially that is what I do. I have 10 saves in which I actively play between 5-8 households. I start out with a single Sim on an empty lot (maybe a trash can, if I feel generous) and then I set the funds to 0. By the time they are established in their careers, have a nice house, 6 figures in the household funds and usually a family I retire the household. I love to see my Sims around town and see their kids grow up. Sometimes I will go back in and play them again or move out a child when they reached YA stage and then play them. I get bored with rich Sims but they do make great townies for my new Sims to meet. I don't start new saves anymore. When I make a new Sim they go into one of my existing saves. One of my saves goes way back to when I started playing TS4 in December 2015.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I would say I am a rags to riches type player. All of my sims start off poor and make their way. Some get rich faster than others but some also lose money along the way depending on their lifestyle.

On a side note we really need more things to spend money on. When my sims get rich, I have a hard time getting rid of the money without cheating it away. I have been having some of my more wealthier sims stop working because they really don't need anymore money. The landgraabs are sitting with 8 million in a vault and 6 million in their household funds. HOW AM I GOING TO GET RID OF ALL THAT MONEY??
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    My sims are usually rich
    All it takes is for one sim to make it big and his brethren live forever rich.
  • BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    I use money cheats when they are too poor to pay their bills and carry on with their story lines.

I like their struggles to be about everything but money. For instance, most of my sims have no romance nor sex in their lives.
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    Both (no preference)
    It depends on what I am trying to do as an objective for my sim. Sometimes I cheat in lots of money so they are rich. Other times I have poor sims.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Both (no preference)
    Both.
    If I'm playing rags to riches I tend to get tired of them when they are comfortable and skilled because that was my focus.
    If I'm telling a story or playing out some sort of fanfiction they might start off with everything they need or even be rich depending on the character then I focus on their story and skills more. Like I have a Stardew Valley world and I cheated to get them houses that match how it is in that game. I play them rotationally and in character. I rarely play generational though and play with aging off.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    I prefer building up my sims lives and focus on skills, jobs, raising kids and expanding their very basic house.

I usually loose interest once they reach a certain amount of money. But the words 'ditch them' sound too hard. I still care about them even if I eventually move on to a new Sim.
  • llamasflullamasflu Posts: 221 Member
    My sims are usually poor
    drakharis wrote: »
    It depends on what I am trying to do as an objective for my sim. Sometimes I cheat in lots of money so they are rich. Other times I have poor sims.

same, but i'll cheat money if they're poor and i can't afford their house
    tumblr_nvyznq2a181tiiy96o2_400.gifv
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited February 2020
    I always start off with no cheats, no "story based" money. However Sims 4 is always so easy to make money in that by the time my first generation dies they can buy any house in the game. By the death of the second generation they could bulldoze San Myshuno and get away with it. Because the game just doesn't do challenges.

Lately I have compensated by living in a tiny-living house, take a freelancer career and only work when I need money (so maybe do one job every three Sim weeks).
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    Both (no preference)
    Money is not really a main focus of my gameplay. For me it's all about storytelling, drama and relationships. It depends on the household and their story how wealthy my sims are/become. Some are rich, others are poor, but usually I prefer to have it somewhere in between. My main household live fairly comfortably, but still have to work to pay the rent and provide for their family.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    Both (no preference)
    My sim family in my current save are stupidly rich, so I focus on getting career satisfaction (in multiple careers, since I play on long life) and completing collections (harder than it sounds since the collection counter resets every time you move someone out) and aspirations, since money is not an issue.

My next save once I finish up this one, I'm doing a pseudo Rags to Riches (They have a house - it's just burned out with the only things still working being the bathroom and a laptop) and future generations won't be living in the same house, so there won't be the same accumulation of generational wealth. (I'm going to try a story challenge where every generation is the protagonist in one of Booker's Seven Basic Plots. Rags to Riches is one of them, so it's the easiest to set up at start.) But other than the Rags to Riches story, I am going to try to have everyone living reasonably comfortably.
  • LquinnLquinn Posts: 385 Member
    Both (no preference)
    My current Sim has 30,000 simoliens. I started them in my non cheat game using a micro house. They are about half way through their young adult stage.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I like to use the word "retire" when I mark a household as unplayed, but essentially that is what I do. I have 10 saves in which I actively play between 5-8 households. I start out with a single Sim on an empty lot (maybe a trash can, if I feel generous) and then I set the funds to 0. By the time they are established in their careers, have a nice house, 6 figures in the household funds and usually a family I retire the household. I love to see my Sims around town and see their kids grow up. Sometimes I will go back in and play them again or move out a child when they reached YA stage and then play them. I get bored with rich Sims but they do make great townies for my new Sims to meet. I don't start new saves anymore. When I make a new Sim they go into one of my existing saves. One of my saves goes way back to when I started playing TS4 in December 2015.

Glad I'm not the only one who does this. And yes, retire probably sounds better than ditch :joy: I also agree that it's super nice to live in a world full of families like that, and I also tend to drop most sims into existing saves. Actually, nearly all my sims eventually end up in my oldest save and I always enjoy returning to it for that very reason. There are sooo many families in it with great backstories, so many sims that started out poor, worked their way up, had families, sometimes I managed to get to the third generation or so. They marry each other, etc. It's definitely better than having a world full of townies and premades, that's for sure!

I really envy people who can go from poor to rich, then stick with the families through multiple generations. I've never been able to do this in any of the sims games actually :(
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Both (no preference)
    Some of my sim families are rich and some aren't. I play and love them all regardless.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,949 Member
    edited February 2020
    My sims are usually rich
    I tend to like doing things that cause my sims to gain lots of moneys
    and I don't really build them big houses often so they end up being ridiculously rich

in my current save I did run into some finance problems though due to vlads mansion having big as heck bills
    + me wanting to renovate straud mansion

but vlad also just won lottery so idk what to do atm since it feels waste to put it into just paying bills and furnitures
    maybe I'll have spawns move out with it
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    Glad I'm not the only one who does this. And yes, retire probably sounds better than ditch :joy: I also agree that it's super nice to live in a world full of families like that, and I also tend to drop most sims into existing saves. Actually, nearly all my sims eventually end up in my oldest save and I always enjoy returning to it for that very reason. There are sooo many families in it with great backstories, so many sims that started out poor, worked their way up, had families, sometimes I managed to get to the third generation or so. They marry each other, etc. It's definitely better than having a world full of townies and premades, that's for sure!

I really envy people who can go from poor to rich, then stick with the families through multiple generations. I've never been able to do this in any of the sims games actually :(

I totally understand what you are saying about envying players who can stick with a family throughout the generations, but at least for me, the fact that rich Sims are boring to play for me is only part of the reason I play this way. Otherwise I would just be starting new saves when I get bored. The other reason is, I really get attached to my Sims. But if I keep playing them, they have to age up and at some point the Sim I started out with will turn into Elders and die. I have a hard time with that, so I mark them as unplayed when their lives are perfect. I switch between turning aging on and off for unplayed Sims and on long lifespan, and because I switch betweeen saves a lot all my Sims are around for a really long time. But I have to be able to make and add new Sims, so for me this is the best way to play without having hundreds of active households and it keeps the game interesting for me.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Both (no preference)
    Both. I like to play realistically so I create some sims broke and some with money In the same neighbourhood.
  • Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    They always start poor , it's so easy for sims to make money that I never use the money cheat.
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    My sims are usually poor
    I keep my sims poor, or else I get bored and move on. If they work, it's almost always a part-time job.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member
    Both (no preference)
    I'm a bit different I guess. I give my sims a boost to get things beyond the grind. It was fun and interesting, and enjoyable when I was learning the game at first. But doing that and having to focus on one household at a time to do the "lather, rinse, repeat" over and over and over for every household or sim, no thank you. Then go to another household, they are all dead or skill-less...

I prefer focusing on building, role-playing, jobs, careers. Skills. Why I have long life on now. It's like 20 days pregnancy now? So if I focus on one household for awhile, it's not total chaos of un-skilled when I check other ones. I do get members of a household for my main sims to be productive.

For the rich/poor, there is an in-between. I rarely use the money cheat anymore. When splitting households, the money gets split too, depending on the story that I am "God" of lol.

If a brand new household, I may give the money cheat to allow me to modify it enough before playing it. Like what I'm doing with the "Orphanage" I'm working on in Sulani. They had like 17,000 simoleons, impossible to work on the lot with that unless I boot the characters and have an open lot, so I gave +200,000.

Once I'm satisfied with a lot and the characters, I lay off on cheats. What's there and in the household is what is there now. Get skills and a way to earn income.

For example, the Ebabits, I modified from Landgraabs, had 3 mil starting. They are down to like 700,000 and dropping now, so they better get something on the go. I spent a whole day working on that. Now that I have the dancing and singing stuff from one or two of the packs, since they are uneducated, it's gotta be the entertainment jobs and careers.

People who want to spend 10 generations of grinding to get things on the go, hey, if that's what you like, cool. Not for me in a Sim game though. :)

I hope that's helpful. This is my opinion. The way I play will most likely change and evolve if I keep playing. ;)
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I've used cheats to make my existing sims rich.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    My sims are usually poor
    Ideally my worlds are balanced, but I do enjoy the struggling YA in small houses/apartments the most.