Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why are toddlers imprisoned in their house?

You never realize, cause the game is only at focus at your own sims and active household and you for sure take your toddlers out every now and then. But at some point I asked myself: Where are all the toddlers at?!

I never see other parents taking their toddlers out of the house, walk around in the neighborhood, park or any lot type. There is no lot trait to attract toddlers, only kids, so making a day care or playground with all those nice equipment are for what? Who places these giant things in their house or garden anyway?!
Creating a club for mommies with toddlers and have them meet up, so they can play with each other is out of reach. So disappointing.
We can only throw those play date parties, but then you first would have to know parents who actually have toddlers! How are you supposed to do that if there is NO WAY to meet sims that qualify these requirements. It's like a gap in this given 'chance'.

Maybe I am missing something here, but as far as I am aware, there is no way to ever see toddlers around in the world. And then also.. meet sims that have them. I think it is a point that needs far more attention and care than what it has been given till now.

How do you deal with this?

Comments

• SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    It makes no sense to me cause they have the toddler play date option in social events on the phone but my toddlers never meet any other toddlers so I can never invite any toddlers to the event. I would love to see them at parks and maybe some other locations.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    This is another example of how Sims 4's shortcomings simply do not apply to me. When I start a save, I introduce more than one family and by the time my sims are ready to have offspring, they have already formed bonds with their friends, neighbors or co-workers. Therefore they will actively visit the other families with their toddlers, meet their babies etc.
    If ever I felt short on toddlers, I'd check who my sims's co-workers are, put them in a house, give them one or more offspring, bake something nice and go visit them.

I can see how it can become a problem for different playstyles, though.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I agree but there are ways around it even without the daycare mods.

You have to basically travel to sims homes that have toddlers in them and knock on the door and introduce yourself. After that you can invite them to the park or whatever.. It seems creepy but it works haha
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member

You have to basically travel to sims homes that have toddlers in them and knock on the door and introduce yourself. After that you can invite them to the park or whatever.. It seems creepy but it works haha

Thats an option when you know of sims who are having toddlers. But when you see sims in the park and you just want to make friends with other parents, you can simply not meet and greet all the sims just in case they might have toddlers that you can later visit. It should not be asked from players to handle this poor situation like this.

I do this with one household, since I know their entire sub hood has newly wed families with toddlers, but thats only because i have put them there and i know. There are also parents out there that are not living in a house but they have toddlers. There needs to be a fix for this lacking gameplay.
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    Yeah, it's shame that you don't see toddlers out and about with parents. If only we could invite the entire household over would cure this. Even if I travel with my toddler to another house I have to get the two toddlers to play dolls together. Depending on the toddler toddler taits you might get the toddler to talk to stranger. The best way that I know of is to from a group and bob to music together. The toddlers and gain relationship though dance and then can play dolls together and eventually become friends.
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    For those not averse to small mods, there's a nice one here that brings more toddlers and children to parks: https://deichschafblog.de/bienchen/sonstige-mods-misc-mods/ (You'll need to scroll down a bit).
    I do agree though, it'd be lovely to see families out more with the children and toddlers <3
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,096 Member
    I do see kids at restaurants but not toddlers and i wonder if this has to do with no high chairs? None of my restaurants have a high chair at any table. If we put a high chair at a couple of tables I wonder if that would bring more toddlers to public venues.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I always assumed it was from the way the game works. Like if you invite a toddler over they come without parents. I figured you would go to the park and see toddlers running up and down the street with their parents on the other side of the map. And that to me would be even more immersion breaking. Another reason I desperately want strollers.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    edited February 2020
    aaronrulz wrote: »
    I do see kids at restaurants but not toddlers and i wonder if this has to do with no high chairs? None of my restaurants have a high chair at any table. If we put a high chair at a couple of tables I wonder if that would bring more toddlers to public venues.
    I always add high chairs to my restaurants so that my sims can take their toddlers out with them. I have never ever seen another toddler there though. I think they are just excluded from being generated at any community lot.

It is a very sad thing that EA have not managed to program this in so we can enjoy the delights of seeing the little cuties at the park.

They have set it up for townie families and couples to dine out together, so I would have thought they could set it up for families with toddlers to attend restaurants or parks together.

Edit: they also need to fix the invite over thing - how would a toddler manage to visit your home alone?
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    No thanks, I don't want to have to deal with other sims misbehaved brats in my saves. Keep treating them like occults and lock them away unless the player specifically uses a mod or invites them over.
    It's bad enough I have to murder all the child ones that turn up on retail lots just to make a mess.
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    "Why are toddlers imprisoned in their house?"

Because they're too little to know better and will slip out and play in the street.

I'm totes ok with no toddlers in restaurants, in some cases that rule would be nice in real life too. ;)
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member

Thats an option when you know of sims who are having toddlers. But when you see sims in the park and you just want to make friends with other parents, you can simply not meet and greet all the sims just in case they might have toddlers that you can later visit. It should not be asked from players to handle this poor situation like this.

I do this with one household, since I know their entire sub hood has newly wed families with toddlers, but thats only because i have put them there and i know. There are also parents out there that are not living in a house but they have toddlers. There needs to be a fix for this lacking gameplay.

Oh I do it without knowing haha but I check every house by hovering over it to see if there are any in manage worlds first
  • cmbaker16cmbaker16 Posts: 9,172 Member
    aaronrulz wrote: »
    I always add high chairs to my restaurants so that my sims can take their toddlers out with them. I have never ever seen another toddler there though. I think they are just excluded from being generated at any community lot.

It is a very sad thing that EA have not managed to program this in so we can enjoy the delights of seeing the little cuties at the park.

They have set it up for townie families and couples to dine out together, so I would have thought they could set it up for families with toddlers to attend restaurants or parks together.

Edit: they also need to fix the invite over thing - how would a toddler manage to visit your home alone?

I didn't think toddlers were allowed at restaurants? I tried making a restaurant with a play area for toddlers/children and when I tried bringing my toddlers the hostess wouldn't seat my family even though there was highchairs.
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    edited February 2020
    It is not about how you treat your own toddlers on community lots. You can bring toddlers anywhere with you, put them in high chair in a restaurant and serve them regular food, inventory food etc. You can get creative with that.
    BUT this question goes for families other then you own houehold with toddlers that never take their child outside.. ever! Not in the park behind their house, not being able to be invited to birthday parties, club invites (they could simply come along with their caretaker, parent or teen-or above sim from their household). I do not see an issue here, other than lack of realism by locking those most wanted toddlers into their house.
    I'd call social services if this was real. They need daylight..
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    My sims almost never leave the house anyways, I didn't realize this.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    @cmbaker16 *shrugs* it's always worked for me.

I pick a table that has a high chair and request that table by clicking on it, whilst one parent is doing that the other parent will be putting the toddler into the high chair and then the rest of them get seated there.

You have to feed the toddler yourself of course, they get no dinner from the chef!
  • AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,033 Member
    edited February 2020
    I use a mod, the same MissyHissy recommended. With this, I see plenty of toddlers around. Why they are never at park with their families in vanilla game, I have no clue.
    Post edited by AngeliqueAdelaide on
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    It mostly all comes down to the fact that toddlers were introduced so late and they barely updated the game to reflect their addition. Households don't automatically generate toddlers, you never see any toddlers out and about, none of the worlds are updated to have toddler related items, the packs that came out before they were released were never updated to include them, etc.

I think another major overhaul the game needs is actually reflecting the fact that toddlers exist in the worlds.
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    I've built a restaurant that is toddlers, children & even teens friendly, but the toddlers can't have a play date session at the restaurant.
    It is not about how you treat your own toddlers on community lots. You can bring toddlers anywhere with you, put them in high chair in a restaurant and serve them regular food, inventory food etc. You can get creative with that.
    BUT this question goes for families other then you own houehold with toddlers that never take their child outside.. ever! Not in the park behind their house, not being able to be invited to birthday parties, club invites (they could simply come along with their caretaker, parent or teen-or above sim from their household). I do not see an issue here, other than lack of realism by locking those most wanted toddlers into their house.
    I'd call social services if this was real. They need daylight..

I can't bring my Sims toddler to a restaurant. They seem automatically be sent to the day care once the rest of the family arrived at the restaurant.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • juliekayejuliekaye Posts: 108 Member
    xamira99 wrote: »
    I can't bring my Sims toddler to a restaurant. They seem automatically be sent to the day care once the rest of the family arrived at the restaurant.

Once they're at daycare, I believe you then have to do the "bring here" option from their photo panel. The game won't automatically let you travel with them but it will bring them to you once you are at the venue. At least, I believe that's how I've done it in the past.
  • Emo-usagi2187Emo-usagi2187 Posts: 600 Member
    I take them out to the beach is play in the sand or water or take park nearby watches big kids play. so my tot is free going somewhere unless a parent with them. so no not stuck at home or both parents are out sending them to daycare as Julie said in her post.
    [img][/img]48163509141_6d283a2fcb.jpg06-30-19_1-14-16 AM by Jeannita Szalai, on Flickr
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    edited February 2020
    Because this is not Sims 3, and toddlers were a bother to add to begin with. Sims 4 is about young adults, looks and careers. And maybe a bit of building..

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    It mostly all comes down to the fact that toddlers were introduced so late and they barely updated the game to reflect their addition. Households don't automatically generate toddlers, you never see any toddlers out and about, none of the worlds are updated to have toddler related items, the packs that came out before they were released were never updated to include them, etc.

I think another major overhaul the game needs is actually reflecting the fact that toddlers exist in the worlds.

This was always my reasoning too. Sure they added toddlers later. Just the ability to have them, and not the rest that goes with them. :/

It bugs me that townies can't generate and have toddlers. I'd love to see some toddlers using the playgrounds I've built besides just my own sims. It's lonely for the poor kids. It would be nice if they updated to address this but it's been years so I doubt we will see it now.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited February 2020
    Nindigo wrote: »
    Because this is not Sims 3, and toddlers were a bother to add to begin with. Sims 4 is about young adults, looks and careers. And maybe a bit of building..

Not for me it isn't. Sims has always been about families and generations. I find playing only young adults and adults boring. EA thinks your description is what players want and sure for many players they're probably right but there is also a huge portion of their player base that enjoys playing with all the other life stages that inhabit their game.

I don't speak for anybody but myself here but honestly I'm getting sick of seeing all the other life stages being ignored, left out and feeling like they don't matter. I want real babies that can leave their bassinet for more than a quick cuddle. I want to see toddlers at parks and other venues. I want to see more activities for kids, teens and elders. I'm actually so sick of everything revolving around young adults and adults.
  • ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    When my sim was putting their nameplate on starlane, 2 toddler friends arrived to congratulate. So not entirely correct, I guess.
    Other that that - yeah, they are pretty much trapped. Have you noticed that you get less guests when you have toddlers in your house?
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.