Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Preferred content release format for TS5?

How would you like to see content released for The Sims 5? Free patches are assumed to come with all release formats.

Preferred content release format for TS5? 80 votes

Base game with expansion packs (TS1, TS4)
57% 46 votes
Base game with expansion packs & item store (TS2, TS3)
35% 28 votes
Base game with monthly live service
2% 2 votes
Other
5% 4 votes

Comments

• Options
    cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    The base game with expansion packs is the best way; as long as they are better thought out; and better items included; instead of splitting them between several Game and Stuff Packs. I can see the TS2/TS3 Item Store working; but I have no interest whatsoever in a live service. I am NOT paying a subscription. I buy the game, and I buy the expansion packs as I please.
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Zero interest in live service/subscription model. And the store reeks of TSM/SFP micro transactions - items end up costing more individually & the totals would be way higher than DLCs.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited February 2020
    Expansion packs for in depth gameplay, no more stuff packs. I much prefer a store system where I can go shopping and pick what I want. I hated the overpricing and I hated I had to buy bundles for the Store, but the system as such I prefer to stuff packs I need to buy because I like one particular item.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    AyeffenAyeffen Posts: 258 Member
    Personally would opt for a TS2/TS3 style framework.
    1NraNSJ.png
    My Gallery 🏠 | Gamer 🎮 | Husband 👬
  • Options
    TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    Personally, I'm all for the base+pack model.

A $10 TS4 stuff pack gets you a "hero item", around 60 other assets, and often a new gameplay element. TS3 premium store content is $5 a pop, and individual build/buy objects can cost up to a dollar per item.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited February 2020
    Considering that Sims 3 still refuses to accept that I bought a lot of items from the store, even Barnacle Bay. I prefer the first option. At least I get a receipt for those bought via the Origin App.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I refuse to go back to a store system. I never bought anything from the TS3 store and still won't.
  • Options
    Vivi_WillowTreeVivi_WillowTree Posts: 452 Member
    TS1, TS2
  • Options
    rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,339 Member
    What they are doing now is good. I would never buy from an item store.
  • Options
    AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    I am not a fan of a game store. It is microtransactions in disguise. Also once the game is at the end of life and the store gone, how do you obtain store items now? As for a subscription service, I will never pay a subscription. Don't even try it.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I am not a fan of a game store. It is microtransactions in disguise. Also once the game is at the end of life and the store gone, how do you obtain store items now? As for a subscription service, I will never pay a subscription. Don't even try it.
    In the Downloads folder. You can copy it, keep it somewhere safe and reinstall everything that way if necessary.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited February 2020
    I'm tired of basegames that have to wait on weather, a dog or cat, cars, and some open lots like clubs/bars. I think this type of system has out lived itself. I think a basegame should come with weather, some strays to adopt and some transportation. The world is full of cars, let's not pretend they all disappeared and why TS4 doesn't represent a life simulator to me as much as others because we've gone back to TS1 days where they couldn't even own a car. (Eyeroll).

EPs should enhance a game not be the actual gameplay in my opinion. The actual deep gameplay should be the core. EPs should expad the core in all areas. If there is weather in a base than an EP should enhance that maybe with extreme weather. If there are cars in a base then an EP should enhance transporation maybe with public transit, and or airplanes, and hover boards and expand a core feature for all areas of the game. You get the idea.

I never considered the TS3 store microtransactions. Nope, microtranactions are like needing to pay more for something your Sim needs to be able to level up, get a promotion, a better partner, etc. TS3's store was highly expensive, I couldn't afford most stuff, but it allows people to customize their games with what they want in their own games. It was a rip off many times, lol, but no one's game had to be the same.

That was the beauty of it. This endless need for everyone's game to be the same is so not The Sims in so many ways. It's like MS wanting everyone in the world to use one OS, Windows 10, when there are so many ways to do it better with something else. I don't need to share or get everything everyone else has. Individuals should remember that. Just because it has The Sims on it, doesn't mean you need to buy it. :p eta: I'm so over collective mind gameplay.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    I think Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 has a pretty good system. The base game is pretty much complete as it had a lot of rides and a good structure to the game. There are two EPs. One added water park functionality and another added zoos. It complemented the game well.
  • Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    I love the item store but I also love being able to buy stuff, game and expansion packs too. I hate the idea of a subscription for The Sims franchise. I don't see it working for the sims. It doesn't bother me for some (online) games like World of Warcraft.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    No to Sims 5!
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    I like the TS2/TS3 packs and store combo. For me, I missed out on the Sims 2 store but I really do love what is offered in the Sims 3 store - it had a wide variety of things so you can set up your worlds for any historical time, for different countries, as well as different genres such as goth, fantasy and sci fi.

I'm not sure why people get salty about the store. No one is forced to buy from it. I certainly didn't when the Sims 2 store was opened, but when I saw the potential settings and scenarios I can set up with the items in the Sims 3 store, I bought most of it and will eventually get everything. The key thing is to wait it out for the best lowest prices. I didn't buy everything all at once but I watched for several things:
    1. Daily Deals - very discounted prices
    2. Make a Deal - not as discounted, but I bought only things that were 40% or more off
    3. Compilations - oftentimes compilations are so much cheaper than if you get things seperately. It's even more of a great deal when a compilation goes on sale.

So yeah, I would love TS5 to be set up with the jam-packed EPs and SPs like TS2 and TS3 had in combo with their respective stores that add more gameplay and scenario possibilities.
  • Options
    lana44lana44 Posts: 60 Member
    I loved the direct control options instead of using the go here option.
  • Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    While I did not mind ts3 store as much as others, I think they should just stick to the base game and expansion pack format. It's worked well so far.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn