Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Phantasmal Reading Circle III: Newness Returns!

Comments

• NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    edited February 2020
    @lone_cat @15aewar OMG Screaming Puffballs is freaking awesome! B) Not very punk/emo but still cute. Guess I'll fire up a fresh test save and see what he does... or stick him in my Bloodline save and see what kind of damage he does there. ;)
    It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
    @katrinasforest @Firande @15aewar @lone_cat My laptop broke and I'm sharing my boyfriend's computer until it's fixed. I don't know how active I'll be here or on Tumblr. Just giving a head's up.
  • lone_catlone_cat Posts: 417 Member
    @15aewar @NyteRose
    Sorry about your laptop, NyteRose. :(
    Yeah, Screaming Puffballs sounds more like a metal band, LOL.
    I tried that random name generator that 15aewar suggested and got some funny ones, so I thought I'd share some of them.

School of the 666 Cat
    My Heart Your Tail
    Puddle of Cat
    The Love of Cats
    Flight of the Cats
    Ambrose and the Angry Cats
    Twilight of the Cat Gods
    Why Cat, Why?

The last one cracked me up. :D I suppose you could substitute feline for cat in any of those.
    I don't have any more suggestions for Ambrose, but sometimes letting a sim just run amuck in the game helps figure out what to write.
  • 15aewar15aewar Posts: 1,051 Member
    lone_cat wrote: »
    @15aewar @NyteRose
    Sorry about your laptop, NyteRose. :(
    Yeah, Screaming Puffballs sounds more like a metal band, LOL.
    I tried that random name generator that 15aewar suggested and got some funny ones, so I thought I'd share some of them.

School of the 666 Cat
    My Heart Your Tail
    Puddle of Cat
    The Love of Cats
    Flight of the Cats
    Ambrose and the Angry Cats
    Twilight of the Cat Gods
    Why Cat, Why?

The last one cracked me up. :D I suppose you could substitute feline for cat in any of those.
    I don't have any more suggestions for Ambrose, but sometimes letting a sim just run amuck in the game helps figure out what to write.

Yeah, @NyteRose . I hope you get a new one soon. :)

My favorite of the list is Puddle Cat. It reminds me of Phoebe Buffay's Smelly Cat.
    edited February 2020
    @15aewar Haha, it's a Friends reference (had to look it up, LOL). I'm probably one of the few people I know, who hasn't watched all of Friends (I've only seen a few sporadic episodes), but Phoebe was always my favorite. :)
    This also reminds me of Sheldon Cooper singing Soft Kitty.

I totally didn't see your spoiler with your names. OMG, I was cracking up over this. Some of my favorites are below.

Lord of the Emo Cats
    Of Men and Cats (reminds me of that Steinbeck novel)
    Rage against the Plasma
    The Plasma Cats
    Disciples of Brindleton Bay
    Super Emo Cats
    Post edited by lone_cat on
    edited February 2020
    @katrinasforest @lone_cat @15aewar @Firande
    I should have my laptop back next week. I got a very nasty virus that required professional removal; luckily none of my files were damaged. (Word of caution: some of those CC sites can hide nasties, even with antivirus/popup blockers.) Anyway, since I can't really play, I wrote up a character sheet for Ambrose (it's still a WIP, good thing for WP phone app!)

Name- Ambrose Cornelius

Oçcult Status- Vampire

Age- 24. Turned- 3.5 years ago (subject to change)

Hometown- Brindleton Bay

Education- Veterinary School

Occupation- Vocalist/songwriter for the emo/punk band Crimson Veil and nightshift barista at a waterfront cafe. When not serving lattes or performing, Ambrose volunteers at Bayside City Animal Shelter. He helps raise funds for the shelter and partially sponsors a spay/neuter clinic through his band.

Ambrose suffers from ailurophobia (fear of cats.) His phobia was triggered by an attack from a rabid cat at age seven. The ensuring trauma (and unpleasant experience of rabies treatment) caused not only fear but a near-extreme hatred for cats. But with medication and exposure therapy over the intervening years, Ambrose slowly conquered his phobia. He still has occasional bouts of anxiety and fear when exposed to strays (and there are a lot of stray cats wandering the wharf) but in an ironic twist of fate, he went from hating the creatures to truly enjoying their companionship. Six months ago, Ambrose found a tiny, sick kitten cruelly abandoned in the dumpster behind the cafe where he works. All it took was one look into Athena's (named after the Greek goddess of wisdom) mismatched eyes and he knew couldn't let her go.
    Post edited by NyteRose on
    @NyteRose I love what you came up with. It's awesome!
    Also, I'm really glad you'll be getting your computer back relatively soon. Do you know which site caused the virus? I'm really scared of getting one myself. :grimace:
    edited February 2020
    @15aewar I don't think it came from a site directly, but a virus-ridden Adfly/short.est link. I don't remember the site's name, sorry :# But I think I was grabbing some poses/CC for a photo op...

Anyway, looking for opinions/feedback: what occult should the heroine of this new, possible work be? I really don't want to work with witches since Stars and Bloodline deal with spellcasters. Ghosts and aliens are meh in my opinion, so that leaves either mermaids or human. Or mod my game for fairies ( and the fairy mod is outdated/broken I believe.) Thoughts?
    NyteRose wrote: »
    @15aewar I don't think it came from a site directly, but a virus-ridden Adfly/short.est link. I don't remember the site's name, sorry :# But I think I was grabbing some poses/CC for a photo op...

Anyway, looking for opinions/feedback: what occult should the heroine of this new, possible work be? I really don't want to work with witches since Stars and Bloodline deal with spellcasters. Ghosts and aliens are meh in my opinion, so that leaves either mermaids or human. Or mod my game for fairies ( and the fairy mod is outdated/broken I believe.) Thoughts?

Mermaids are cool. I think there are plenty of humans in the story already :lol:
    Oh, and the reason I asked about the virus is because I was eyeing some CC from Historical Sims Blog, but holy moly, the link shortener she uses is like Adfly on energized potions.
    I'll definitely be doing a deep virus scan whenever I download CC.
    @NyteRose
    I hate those adfly links; I used to never download CC if it had to go through adfly. So instead, I downloaded Universal Bypass to help skip those links.

Maybe mermaid, since a vampire/mermaid pairing might be interesting.
    @15aewar Be very careful with some of those historical CC sites, I *think* that is where I picked up a virus previously ( I was able to get rid of it quickly.) But I think the virus I'm dealing with now came from one of those background downloaders some links try to install on your computer before you can grab the CC file and run. Almost positive it was a background downloader that did me in.

@lone_cat Yeah, mermaid/vampire pairing would be quite interesting. And if I run with mermaids that gives me an excuse to research Polynesian mermaid myths (hard to find but very interesting,) or siren lore from the British Isles (since Brindleton Bay is based off New England.) And I'll look into Universal Bypass when I get my laptop back :)
    edited February 2020
    @NyteRose
    For my Sulani story, I was researching some Polynesian and Hawaiian myths, not really mermaid, just general goddess/god mythology. It is a very interesting culture. There are lots of different versions of mermaids, so lots of information to work with. @15aewar mentioned the Ningyo earlier, from Japan, there are selkies from Ireland Scotland (they're seals though that shed their skin, so not really mermaid, but fish like). I know the original Sirens from Greek mythology were not half- fish, but half-bird. Don't know a lot about British Isles mermaids, only that they liked to lure sailors to their deaths with their beautiful singing voices.

Correction, selkies are Scottish, not Irish.
    edited February 2020
    @lone_cat Irish mermaids are called merrows.
    And I got my laptop back tonight :)
    So I have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to do with my vampire story. I'm thinking it will be story 5 in Supernatural Misadventures, so it won't be for a while. I created the main vampire baddie; I really like how he turned out and wanted to share. He's been trapped in an Omiscan ruin for centuries (I should probably give him a beard), and he's very hangry when he gets out. Here are some pics of him.

wLGZsQDl.png
    Il4gMIRl.png
    dbY39uhl.png
    edited February 2020
    So I have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to do with my vampire story. I'm thinking it will be story 5 in Supernatural Misadventures, so it won't be for a while. I created the main vampire baddie; I really like how he turned out and wanted to share. He's been trapped in an Omiscan ruin for centuries (I should probably give him a beard), and he's very hangry when he gets out. Here are some pics of him.
    wLGZsQDl.png
    Il4gMIRl.png
    dbY39uhl.png

I don't think he needs the beard. He's cute (and creepy) in a Dwight Frye kind of way. I love it!

EDIT: I somehow forgot the word "don't" in that sentence. He's adorable as-is/
    Post edited by 15aewar on
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    @NyteRose
    For my Sulani story, I was researching some Polynesian and Hawaiian myths, not really mermaid, just general goddess/god mythology. It is a very interesting culture. There are lots of different versions of mermaids, so lots of information to work with. @15aewar mentioned the Ningyo earlier, from Japan, there are selkies from Ireland Scotland (they're seals though that shed their skin, so not really mermaid, but fish like). I know the original Sirens from Greek mythology were not half- fish, but half-bird. Don't know a lot about British Isles mermaids, only that they liked to lure sailors to their deaths with their beautiful singing voices.

Correction, selkies are Scottish, not Irish.

These sounds really neat. I just watched Song of the Sea recently, which is about the selkies. It's a beautiful film, if you ever get the chance to watch it. +2 Inspired Moodlet, at least. :)

I thought it was harpies that were half-bird. Or maybe there were two mythological Greek monsters that were half-bird ladies. I can't quite remember.

@NyteRose Thanks so much for the Medusa links. I've just got to bite the bullet and install the legacy game on my computer. That way I'll have everything backed up, and I can mess around with CC and mods as much as I like. I'm sorry to hear about your computer, but I'm glad your files are okay.

@lone_cat So...I went from being only a few chapters into your story to reading everything that's up so far yesterday. You really know how to tell a tight story that keeps readers scrolling. (I want to say "turning the pages," but it didn't seem to quite apply. ^_^;; )

Anyways, answers to your questions...

1. Okay, I know I'm being a total cynic, but I thought it was Ian while I was reading. I still think Ian is up to something. At the very least, I think he might owe somebody something and he's trying to get out of it.

2. Not too many suggestions, really. I think the occasional recap is helpful; I didn't really need it, since I was reading almost everything at once, but I can see how waiting in between chapters might cause a few of your readers to need a refresher. You've got a very relatable protagonist (especially when she was stumbling in those high heels--I hate those things, and I never move right when I have to wear them!). I think your supporting cast is also nicely done. The characters are easy to distinguish and remember; they have their own little quirks, but there's not an overwhelming number of them, either.

3. I normally don't lean towards the protagonist on these types of questions. (I seem to have the amazing ability to gravitate towards minor characters with barely any screen time, no matter what I'm reading/watching). But in this case, I'd have to say Hailey. I get her, I sympathize with her, and she seems like the type of person I'd just generally have fun hanging out with. We could chat about unsolved mysteries and the woes of stilettos. ^_^

4. I'm up for any of them. I loved the way you've introduced doppelgangers. It's not a supernatural that exists in Sims 4 yet (I guess unless you count the clones from Get to Work or Realm of Magic), but the game lends itself to them very nicely. It was a cool idea. I do love vampires, but I like to see the less-popular supernaturals get attention to. I'm still sad real fairies never made their way to the Sims 4. Sirens/mermaids/selkies/some sort of aquatic creature would be awesome to see.
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
    @lone_cat He's cute. Can I have a link to his hair, please?
    @lone_cat @katrinasforest @15aewar @Firande
    I can't decide if she's cute or not... today has been a very crummy CAS day.
    49566317846_bb9d44aca4.jpg

This is Helena, she's human for now while I make adjustments and stuff while in CAS but I'll mermaid her with MCCC. I'm tempted to humanize one of the lady vamps I have in my Library/Gallery, turn that Sim into a mermaid, and use them in this girl's place. But that would be 1-2 hours down the drain...
    @lone_cat @katrinasforest @15aewar @Firande
    I can't decide if she's cute or not... today has been a very crummy CAS day.
    49566317846_bb9d44aca4.jpg

This is Helena, she's human for now while I make adjustments and stuff while in CAS but I'll mermaid her with MCCC. I'm tempted to humanize one of the lady vamps I have in my Library/Gallery, turn that Sim into a mermaid, and use them in this girl's place. But that would be 1-2 hours down the drain...

I like how she looks. She has this girl next door vibe to her. She kinda reminds me of Ginny from Harry Potter.
    @15aewar I'm not too familiar with Harry Potter so I'll take your word for it. I'll see if I can fix her up more :)
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    @NyteRose @15aewar I can see the Ginny vibe a little bit, although she's only a little kid in the first book, so this would more be her by the end of the series.

I think she's very pretty. If that's a crummy CAS day, you're in pretty good shape, I'd say. :)
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
    edited February 2020
    @katrinasforest
    I'm glad you're liking the story so far! I agree with you on your third point, I seldom like the main protagonist(s) of stories I read. I usually like side characters, I think because side characters usually end up being underdogs, or sometimes underappreciated. I'm always a sucker for an underdog. When I wrote Hailey, I wanted a likable/relatable person with some quirkiness. She's the only POV, so I think it's important that she's likable. The recap is a good suggestion. I'll see if I can start incorporating it in.

On a completely random tangent, the siren bird thing is from Homer's Odyssey. Odysseus (the protagonist of the story) was tied to the mast of his ship and his crew had to plug their ears with wax to keep from wrecking their ship from the Siren's song. There are harpies too, that are half-bird, so it's confusing, but I think harpies don't sing and are very ugly. Then sirens got changed to be half fish, I suppose through cultural differences and retellings of stories. Sorry, I went completely off-topic.
    I'll have to check out that movie, it sounds good. :)

@NyteRose Link to hair: wingssims TSR
    I think she's cute, she has a sweet/innocent look to her. I do see an older Ginny like 15aewar suggested.

@15aewar
    I thought a beard would be a more realistic touch since he's been locked away for so long, but I think I'll leave him without a beard, I like him better as is. He is definitely a deranged character (being a hungry vampire might do that :) ).

I'm thinking up a whole backstory for my vampire. I was thinking he was Selvadoradan, but now, I think I'm going to make him like a Sims version of a Spanish Conquistador (I know there's no such thing, but I guess for my own world-building there were conquistadors in Selvadorada). He was turned after he and his party got ambushed in the jungles of Selvadorada and then he was captured and locked away by an Omiscan tribe. I think I might actually give him a prologue for his backstory.

edited February 2020
    @15aewar @katrinasforest @lone_cat @Firande I created Ambrose's cat in CAS, I'm still setting up the game (MCCC settings, background townies/builds, and I still need to finish up Helena.) Meet Athena (based on a kitten I owned at one point.) She's an Abyssinian.

As a Kitten
    49571552297_dd34aacb9a.jpg

Adult
    49571323231_9c87dbd819.jpg

Also, I'm still at a loss as to what Helena's backstory should be. I'm toying with the idea that she's been banished from her tribe (pod) for a crime she didn't commit, there's a shortage of males to breed with and she's permitted a year on land to find a mate, or she's a black widow-type femme fatale who lives up to the old legends.
    @15aewar @katrinasforest @lone_cat @Firande I created Ambrose's cat in CAS, I'm still setting up the game (MCCC settings, background townies/builds, and I still need to finish up Helena.) Meet Athena (based on a kitten I owned at one point.) She's an Abyssinian.

Also, I'm still at a loss as to what Helena's backstory should be. I'm toying with the idea that she's been banished from her tribe (pod) for a crime she didn't commit, there's a shortage of males to breed with and she's permitted a year on land to find a mate, or she's a black widow-type femme fatale who lives up to the old legends.

She's so cute! I just want to pet her. <3
    Helena looks too nice to be a black widow - of course, that could just mean no one suspects her. I like the idea of her being falsely accused of a crime, or having just one year to find a boyfriend.
    I do see an older Ginny like 15aewar suggested.

Hooray! I'm remembering things correctly. :smiley:

@15aewar
    I thought a beard would be a more realistic touch since he's been locked away for so long, but I think I'll leave him without a beard, I like him better as is. He is definitely a deranged character (being a hungry vampire might do that :) ).

I'm thinking up a whole backstory for my vampire. I was thinking he was Selvadoradan, but now, I think I'm going to make him like a Sims version of a Spanish Conquistador (I know there's no such thing, but I guess for my own world-building there were conquistadors in Selvadorada). He was turned after he and his party got ambushed in the jungles of Selvadorada and then he was captured and locked away by an Omniscan tribe. I think I might actually give him a prologue for his backstory.

I agree. No beard = better. I'm already excited for this story. Does he strike up a friendship with a skeleton while he's trapped?

Oh, and the Selvadorada story is perfect. That jungle is swarming with plasma bats. I imagine this is how he got imprisoned:
    giphy.gif
    @15aewar @katrinasforest @lone_cat @Firande Helena in mermaid form.
    CAS Closeup
    49572267687_694118fb0d.jpg
    Fullbody Shot
    49572267827_54018a13a9.jpg