Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's the worst expansion pack and game pack and why?

Comments

• ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    edited January 2020
    EP: Island Living-barely any content
    GP: Strangerville-forced RPG story
  • DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    The GP that annoys me the most is Parenthood. I get tired of the messes and the phases, and you can't discipline the children for their misbehavior during their phases. Discipline overall annoys me because the choice of discipline style doesn't seem to affect anything but some text in the relationship panel. While I like the character values, it's irritating that the cumulative affect of behavior and discipline over time affects the sims as young adults, but child and teen behavior does not reflect where the sim is on any given value at that time. And it's much harder to get a sim's character values in the red than it should be. But I do like a lot of the new interactions, and the character value system overall gives me more goals during the child and teen stages. So I wouldn't get rid of it but it does drive me crazy sometimes.

For EP, probably Cats and Dogs. I know it's more realistic, but not being able to train cats like you can dogs means that there's a lot less to do with a cat. I feel like so many resources were spent on the veterinarian career that the experience of just being a pet owner feels a bit lacking. I miss pet jobs, and I miss being able to encourage your pets to be bad as well as good. Pet CAS is great and I'll be trying out the vet career soon, but the basic reason I bought the pack was just to own pets, and they aren't as much fun as I wish they were.

I don't have DU or RoM yet, so they weren't in consideration for my votes.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I don't know which packs I haven't bought are my least favorites, so it's hard to vote on those. I will say "Vampires" because they have never appealed to me. Dead, or alive - pick one. That in-between stuff is oogie.

I will say that Spa Day was my second acquisition, and while I seldom even place a spa venue, I use the pack activities and skills ALL THE TIME. I will avoid spamming this thread with screenies of my sexy guys doing yoga, but believe me - I have a lot of screenies. I use yoga to set long-lasting, durable moods, improve body-tone, and gain fun at the same time. Of course my lux homes have a sauna in the pool house or adjacent to the gym. They have a massage table, too, though I don't find it as all-compelling as the one in TS3. The incense is also a nice option, for many reasons, but I find I have to be careful with placement.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,425 Member
    For me the worst EP is get Famous, fame does not interest me in the slightest and I really dislike the world to the point where I never visit it.
    Island living might take it's place but I don't own that one yet so it seems unfair to pick this one.

For the game packs vampires is the one I can easily miss since the release of RoM. Had those two supernatural game packs been released in reverse order I probably would not have bought vampires. I just prefer spellcasters over undead plasma drinking creatures of the night.
    I also don't use outdoor retreat and spa day a lot.
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    They kind of fell short with Island living. It's great we have mermaids. However, I would have liked to have abilities for mermaids like singing that have effects on other sims. A flirty song, a sad song, a happy song, an energizing song etc. that would give other non-mermaid sims those buffs. I would have liked to have had an underwater world for the mermaids. I would have liked the beaches added to all worlds.

Seasons broke the game for me where there were too many bugs. When a new pack comes out I play vanilla and slowly add back in my mods. However, instead of it taking a few days, it took a few months.

I like spa day but it was lacking. It was more like a game pack than an expansion pack.

University I guess is the ones I like best followed by City Living.

Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    I would pick Cats and Dogs and Dine Out. I really liked these packs from the beginning, but playing these packs now feels more like a chore. Every time I load a household with pets they are all sick, every time I visit a restaurant the waiters do not pick up the plates and my sims does not eat the food. Island Living, Outdoor Retreat or Strangerville are not perfect but at least I do not have to clean the plates or cure my pet for the 1000th time with them.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    MelFox wrote: »
    Stutum wrote: »
    I'd say the spa game pack and the island expansion. I don't think they're bad in themselves, but I find them the least interesting ones compared to the others.

I wanted to get island expansion for the mermaids, but doesnt seem worth it for the price, maybe one day I'll get it when it's on sale again

I got the Island pack in the sale.. its a pretty world for sure, and I like the objects you can build and furnish with, but I'm so "meh" about the mermaids, I can't even tall you.

I've been given some money for my birthday, enough for two stuff packs or one expansion or game pack, and I can't choose, so I am interested in this kind of discussion. I have Outdoor (not tried it yet, just downloaded), Island, Laundry, Cats & Dogs, and Get To Work. I do like that last one, and the Laundry Day stuff is nice.

Let me know how outdoor is, I missed the sims sale :( was saving so didnt get any then got extra money but the sale had ended the day before :( I was tempted to get outdoor as I never use my simd work vacation days and then my sims get stressed out so it would be nice to have an actual vacation .
    Why are the mermaids so meh? I hear others saying the same. I loved fairies and mermaids of sims 3

Mermaids may be better than their sims 3 counter parts, but what is the point if you can only swim on the oceans surface and not drive down below?
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Worst game pack Vampires so boring cant even stake them its like they thought what's fun about Vampires lets not do any of that. For expansions I cant just pick 1 its Get to Work and Island Living which truly had the best themes and decided to go with the worst ideas ever to fill those packs such as trash Island and spending time building a alien world that's not even an active world on the menu over something like a working cash register that could of really helped story telling and simply improved all retail.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    edited January 2020
    For me it's Get Famous and Spa Day. I'm not interested in celebrities at all and hate how they disrupt my sims lives. Spa Day isn't bad, it's just not my lifestyle IRL so in the game it doesn't even play a small part in their lives. I never think about it at all, never played it and basically just forgot it existed.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    edited January 2020
    Island Living and Realm of Magic. Zero gameplay in IL and very boring "gameplay" in RoM. The fact that they came out one after the other made me quit the game (still haven't gone back to it yet)
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    edited January 2020
    For me it's Cats & Dogs. I don't like the focus of the pack over all (veterinary career, sick pets, expanded pet CAS), but there are some issues that really bother me:
    1. In rotational play pets are often sick when you get back to the household. This feels like an undeserved punishment and also takes away from the time when pets actually get sick. Pets should not get sick while I'm not playing them.
    2. Walking a dog takes incredibly long time in some neighbourhoods, even just a short walk. All the walk lengths should be re-estimated.
    3. When pets are bred the puppies/kittens end up being completely copies of either of their parent. There should be variation in the colour at least.
  • Prink34320V2Prink34320V2 Posts: 156 Member
    EP: Get Together - I just feel like it's a random mesh of content. So many activities, but none with actual depth, DJ Mixing is fun but Dancing is so lackluster. The world is the best part in my opinion, it's lovely, but I find everything else in the pack kind of boring.

GP: Outdoor Retreat - I just expected more from a camping based pack. No Scouts, no swimming, no kayaking, mountain areas, interactable animals, flying foxes, climbing etc. The world is one of my favorites though, but I just wish there was more to do.
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    EP: Island Living-barely any content
    GP: Strangerville-forced RPG story

this.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • AbraKadabraAbraKadabra Posts: 304 Member
    worst EP- Get to work- I don't really like the three careers and owning a business doesn't interest me at all.
    worst GP- Strangerville- I love how they tried something new with it but boy did the miss. The world is ugly and the storyline is very repetitive. The only good thing that came with it is the military career.
  • TamaekTamaek Posts: 440 Member
    Island Living was a big disappointment because there really isn't much to the mermaids. The island is lovely and I like the odd jobs and the furniture and fashion but for an expansion pack it didn't have much in it. For the game pack I'm going to say Strangerville. I loved the idea of the storyline and saving the town and all that but really it was so awkward and railroaded with no options and no real noticable effects on the world for winning that it wasn't all that great. After beating it I left because I really just don't like the neighborhood. And, for the record, stuff pack I HATE Laundry Day. I do enough landry in real life I do not want to do laundry in the sims, too.

I really love City Living and my sims usually live there. I can't say why I just really like the city. I love most of the packs, haven't really gotten into Discover University yet but I'm getting there.
    As of 12-18-16 I joined the Own The Store Club! Now I get to pay it forward! Thanks to everyone who helped me get here. You guys are amazing. ^_^ Love to you all!! <3

Looking to make the most of your Simpoints and maybe make some great friends along the way?

Check out the DD Rotation Thread for tips, tricks, tools and the whole DD rotation schedule.

Need a little help owning the store or want to help others? Head over to The Gifting Directory!
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    My least favourite EP is Get Famous. It's not necessarily the worst pack, but the fame theme just doesn't appeal to me. My least favourite GP is Strangerville. I prefer more versatile sandbox gameplay.
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    edited January 2020
    My least favourite EP is Get Famous. It's not necessarily the worst pack, but the fame theme just doesn't appeal to me. My least favourite GP is Strangerville. I prefer more versatile sandbox gameplay.

This here would be nice. Like when I send my sims to the science lab, I'd like to be able to decide what my sim do instead of the game telling me. I kinda do what I want anyway. But then my sim doesn't get paid much.

I know OR is my least fav game pack. I love the objects and world but I know I'm comparing the gameplay to all the fun my sims had in sims2 camping. The unique activities to do with the family.

I can't really say what my least favorite EP is because I really enjoy them all. But there are things I wish we could do or have in other worlds such as apartments, or for life guards to be an active career.

Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Get to Work- never use the active careers or aliens, the world is very forgetable and I rarely visit it and I found owning a retail boring
    Realm of Magic- Although I love the world and cas items I don't like the magic gameplay and find the magic realm very laggy and buggy. I always used to not like Parenthood but since I've had Realm of Magic it's knocked it off my top spot for least favourite pack alltogether. However oddly the packs other simmers seem to mention as their worst expansion and game packs are some of my favourite/best ones (Island Living, Outdoor Retreat and Strangerville). I guess it all comes down to personal taste and what each individual player looks for in their gameplay.
  • Becka28Becka28 Posts: 1,870 Member
    Outdoor retrest for gsmepack only because it was first and needs a lot of tweaking to come up to the level of tge others. Plus ROM needs a significant expansion of glimmerbrook. If you want sims to appear in the reslm they have to live in glimmerbrook since the patch (why this was a terrible decision!!!) But it is such a small world you cant fit all your families in. And so the realm fills up with ugly npcs instead of your sims and premades. Please change it back to what i paid for or expand glimmerbrook.

I love get famous but the awards need repair plus the jumpy csmera glitch on the pinnacles as well as adding more lots to the skimpy world. Bands and singing career would be good too.
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    For Expansion Packs, (EP), for worst, I would say "Cats & Dogs". I love the idea of having a virtual pet, but getting the people Sims to do things is enough of a challenge. Then having virtual animals running around... Hmm...
    Unless of course there was a new superhero career, CAT-MAN! :D
    5o7ZhOc.jpg
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

And, of course, Cat-Woman!
    LFt7jTI.jpg
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,126 Member
    I love Catwoman
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I love Catwoman

I could just see it in Sims 4. Catwoman and Catman encounter each other for the first time. They hiss and meow and growl at each other and fight a little bit, get scratched up, then end up going out on a date. Heh heh!
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    edited January 2020
    Depends on your criteria. The world of Del Sol was extremely disappointing, Island Living was bare bones for content, and University was an absolute mess in terms of gameplay, balance, and what worked and what didn't, but had a lot of content.