Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Orient Express community collab

Comments

• SandraelleSandraelle Posts: 6,146 Member
    I prefer A with the walking path. :)
  • JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    edited January 2020
    This might make things a little easier. I took a zoomed out screenshot in CAW, to use as a map.
    dfe8c5746e3c4b7cdd35239c90faf62d8fc426d3.png

Proposed station locations and directions crudely drawn in red.
    6526cbfedf2aacf4f4e43722ec555372de11dedf.png

• romagi1romagi1 Posts: 6,988 Member
    I don't really have a preference on options A or B just whichever one works the best. :D

However on the car width I prefer the 5 tile and would be OK with the 6 tile but the 4 tile would just be to congested to work well.
    edited January 2020
    622ab478da711d008eba3fd9ef79976bde131022.png

16x24 or 20x24 might work best over the tracks

Here's the lot size track test: http://www.simfileshare.net/download/1544476/

Now that I've loaded it up, 15x24 centered the best.

Here's the current CAW files, at least the version of the world before I drew the train test lots. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1DhvC4ogkGGru0awJ1O8xKAhtnjQDw7P2?usp=sharing

It will likely be Monday before I do more with the world. I'm open to any suggestions about it, it doesn't take long to try things out.
    Post edited by Jessabeans on
  • soocoolsimsoocoolsim Posts: 6,261 Member
    edited January 2020
    Thanks for getting back to me so quickly @Jessabeans . I'm still amazed at what an excellent grasp you have on this project. Looking at the CAW pics... the track wouldn't be a long continual line joining the 3 stations, but will appear and reappear in and out of tunnels near the station lots and perhaps a few other picturesque places within the world, right? I'm OK with that since realism is great, but optics and functionality are even better. Am thinking though should not the London and Venice directional arrows be reversed?

Re your earlier post... for the number of train lots... since you indicated we have a max of 100 total for the world let's try to pare this down a bit. Thanks for your input everyone. The walking path could also allow us more flexibility to add additional train car lots later if we have allowance remaining so it's a great choice.

I'm thinking each train doesn't need to have all 3 dining cars so here's what I'm proposing. Open to other suggestions:

London station with shorter British Pullman train = 1 large lot or 2 lots (Version B )
    I envision this train built into the station lot (engine + 2 or 3 cars). This is the only station lot crossing over the tracks. Am thinking we could fit this within a 64x40 lot (perhaps a standard 64 x 64 if space allows) since the cars will be butted together with 1 space in between and could also be a tad shorter. If using Version B, we could put the whole train into 1 lot across from the station.

Paris station lot plus 6 side-by-side lots behind it (VSOE, Version A) = 7 lots (engine + mix of car types)

Venice station plus 6 side-by-side lots behind it (VSOE, Version A) = 7 lots (engine + mix of car types)

I've started creating a list of potential lots for everyone to input for inclusion. Will post that soon.

Unfortunately my poor old computer doesn't like CAW so it crashed. Thank you for providing the lot size testing file. Going to check that out tomorrow :smiley:
    Hi! I just got the test tracks loaded and set my 14 x 24 on the 14 x 24 lot that was there and I think it lined up nicely.

7gZRI9m.jpg
    edited January 2020
    I can still try out an island with the continual track. I liked the idea. Or I could try out having the track leave paris, converge at venice, go over into the alps area and down into London. Possibly. I'm not sure how it would work, but I'm interested in trying.

something like this? (sorry it's messy)
    78a606eeace22f670e202c1445c62b08dd787474.png
    Note: I didn't draw in Venice's track because it's already there. I need Paris' track to go into the tunnel so the hill can hide Paris from Vence's sight lines. The sight lines will work better once I start putting in trees.

I'm going to try it out with the game/expansion tracks first but I know Midnight Hollow comes with some more train tracks too, so I can install that to my CAW game folder and try it out. So far I only have Monte Vista installed.

Oh I should say there's not really a max number of lots, per say, in the ballpark of 100 is a good place to aim for, 120 is fine, 200 might cause lag if they are close together, but spread out it should be fine.

I haven't done a rabbit hole count, but I was thinking in the ballpark of 20ish lots per city, 4-6 standalone rural homes, 2 ports, the train and station lots. I would like to have a 4th train somewhere along the line is possible, really I think it would be great in the mountain area if can fit it. It would just depend on how many lots it takes to fill in the cities. I have a nice PC, so I need someone else to tell me how we are doing on performance as it progresses. Your potential lot list will be very helpful.

Since the world is being built for the trains, don't skimp on your train ideas. It's much easier to scale back in decor or city density.

As far as the directions, I was assuming the train was departing from London, stopping by Paris in the south and traveling South East and arriving in Venice. You are correct that departing from each station, Venice and London arrows are backwards.
    edited January 2020
    @romagi1 ... hmm... that size would allow us to keep the lower platform and does line up nicely. At that height you wouldn't see the wheels though right and the train does sit pretty low on the tracks. Do we need to care about the optics of having the edges of the tracks show ? The higher platform version does look more finished but we would need to go up to 15 wide to accommodate the stairs for access. Did you try placing that version as well?
    edited January 2020
    I don't have the taller version. Are you meaning the bottom foundation would need to be taller?

This is from the side.

BJhLjjp.jpg

This is the close up I have at the station.

hztHDYR.jpg
    edited January 2020
    @soocoolsim I can switch out the tracks if the lip effects the lot. I originally was using those because they have a built in bridge to go across the island and they match the train tunnel.

There are some that fit on the ground, they are a little narrower if that matters.

I can set up some test lots with the other track in the morning. I was just about to go to bed. I can redo the same lot sizes or leave a response if you'd like to try out any others.

6628848690b349e3c0c1e383c70ced1b9860a12e.png

The light brown track is from some expansion likely Ambitions, the darker brown is from Midnight Hollow. I had planned to use them decoratively for the curves anyway.
    Awesome re upping the # of train lots @Jessabeans . OK, so let's say Paris and Venice go full out with the train lots, i.e. 1 engine + 3 sleepers + 1 piano/bar car + up to 3 dining cars the total would be a 8 train lots per station. That's a lot of terrain but if you can make it work it would be awesome. I still think it would be great to have a combo stand-alone station/train lot for the London destination. Would be great to have another train in the mountain area even with 5 lots. We just need enough folks on board to help design the sleepers :wink:

I've started a potential list on page 1page 1page 1 based on input throughout this thread. Will edit to include additional input as we go along.

May I ask folks to input into what destination attractions they would like included in this world. We'll likely need several more builders to help create the new lots or contribute pre-built lots for inclusion in the world. Folks can also start identifying any train or world lots they are keen on creating and estimated lot sizes. Let's try to stick with the standard sized lots as much as we can. I'll do my best to keep track but please don't hesitate to set me straight if I miss something :smiley:
    Yes! I would like to do a piano/bar car and a sleeper car Please! :)

Thanks Rox, added you to the list on page 1 @romagi1 :smile:

@Jessabeans , I think the other tracks will be too small to scale with the train but if you're willing to test them with the same lot sizes that would be great to check out. Now I'm really heading off to bed lol. Nite all :wink:
    I’ll do 2 sleeper cars and the L’Orientale dining car.
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited January 2020
    I'd love to do the Cote d' Azur dining car, a sleeper, and a piano bar, if we need another one.
    I can also do a few lots once we know what we'd like.

And, I just want to say that once again I am amazed at the speed and proficiency. You all are amazing!

Thanks ladies. Both of you added @Sandraelle and @ciane 😃
    edited January 2020
    Thank you for the lot list. I'll try out a few street layout ideas to see what should go where. Once the train lot sizes are settled I'll put in the trains and build out from them.

The Eiffel Tower and Arc de Triomphe are currently placed as world deco, and not on lots. I could move them onto lots if someone would like to decorate them or I can just place trees and lights around them in CAW.

I'd tentatively like to decorate a sleeper car, and a dining car. I will wait and see what hasn't been claimed.

Should the Fishing spot lot be located in a pond in the mountain area, or in along the ocean?

I'm trying to figure out which plants will be in each area of the world, I will get you all a plant list soon if you like to have the plants match the area.

I know for sure I will be using the monte vista poppies, small Redwood Dawn tree, and White Fir tree in the mountain area.
    Paris Area; Red Oak along sidewalks, Lavender from WA
    I'm considering the Chestnut Tree, Juniper Tree and possibly the Olive Tree from Monte Vista but I won't really know until I get the rest of the hills in.

Destination ideas so far;

If we are going to do the showtime venue lots, I think it would be fun to build a cabaret in paris. Maybe based on Crazy Horse or the Moulin Rouge. Or the Garnier paris opera house, if so, I can place a lot for it by the Louvre. Alternately, London is well known for theater and there are plenty of theaters to model after. There is also Teatro La Fenice in Venice so really they would work in any of the areas.

I think for the pool lot an indoor bath would be great in Venice. HollownessDevour has the Rococo Bath House already https://imgur.com/a/ROVAKZb, if she would like to include it in the world with credit. Or I could build something similar.
    I've placed the day spa rabbithole in Venice, but I think it would be nice to include a visitable spa with the Serenity Retreat venue items. I think that would go nicely in either Venice of Paris.

I have a couple of Haussmann community lots and Haussmann apartments built for a french style world, I'm still in the process of saving them to the library and exporting them from my other WIP world. I can upload the apartments as shells if anyone would like to makeover the interior and add landscaping so we have a lot of variety in housing, but the city still looks cohesive and saves time.

I started on the Louvre a while back, if one of you wants to build it I can hand over what I've started for you to finish. Or I can finish it later if no one else is interested.

I or one of you could work on an apartment shell or two for London if we wanted to do something similar there. There are some great brick victorian townhomes that would go well near the City Hall and Hospital lot.

I'd like to place a few subways around, either we can put them in the basement of the train stations, or I can just add them as stops to make travel more convenient.

I think the Fire station would look good in London, maybe a victorian brick style to go along with the townhomes? The Junkyard I could put down by the Chunnel entrance/London dock area. If anyone wants to build it, let me know what size lot you'd like for it otherwise I'll put a 20x30.

I can put the Arboretum in a garden around Paris. I'll go ahead and place it once I get the city layout. I don't know if we want to take on building Notre Dame Cathedral or Sacre Coeur but I can place the graveyard lot near where either of those would be.

Rabbitholes I've placed so far (They are not in their final spots, just placed for now):
    London
    Military, Police, City Hall combo (Supernatural) 40x30
    Hospital, Science Center (Supernatural) 30x30
    School/Stadium (Supernatural) 60x50
    Theater 20x30
    Paris
    School (Monte Vista) 30x40
    Venice
    Business (Monte Vista) 30x20
    Day Spa (Monte Vista) 20x20
    Grocery/Diner (Monte Vista) 20x30
    Criminal Hideout (Monte Vista) 30x20

*I have the military/police from Monte Vista placed on a 20x30, and the Hopital/Science Center on a 40x40 but I don't think we will need two of those in the world, and I like the ones in the London area a little better. But peek at them and give me your thoughts if you are downloading the railroad track test.

I'm uploading the track test version with the smaller tracks, Sims File Share takes a while so I'll edit the post with the link to it soon.

I went ahead and placed a train station lot 50x25 and 7 14x24's in the Venice area. If that works out, I'll fix the rest of the track, islands and road that approach to line up with the station. I think it might need to be moved further inland.
    OMG @Jessabeans, are you Super Woman???? LOL Your creativity and speed at which you think and do is amazing! I don't know how you do it, lol.
    Looking forward to the file @Jessabeans . You indeed are superwoman! I’ll update the front page to reflect all your awesome ideas. Yes, let’s leave the Eiffel Tower and Arc as world deco since they’re so large. The bath house is so beautiful. It would be awesome if HD lets us add it.

So everyone... my world vision keeps evolving lol. I’m thinking not all 4 trains need to be designed like the Orient Express. That would open up even more creative opportunities. For example we could have a fun Alpine Express in the mountain area. It could pull passengers as well as freight. There are such a variety of train cars to choose from. And we could try to replicate another train that leaves the Paris station like the Paris-Moscow Express. Once we release the base car and folks get started with the VSOE I’ll post the additional design opportunities.
    edited January 2020
    Thank you, Sorry I got caught up making lunch. Here it is: http://www.simfileshare.net/download/1545434/

The road leading to Venice is a mess now, but having the train lots potentially in place could help with planning.

Now that I've seen it, the track is up too high under the train lots in the Venice area. I was in a rush earlier and didn't check it in game before uploading it. I've fixed it in CAW.

Thank you @Jessabeans . No apologies needed. We're just super excited :smiley:
  • HollownessDevourHollownessDevour Posts: 8,011 Member
    I haven't read the whole thread, but if you guys let me know what kind of lot or lots could help with lemme know. I could do a Venice Station or community lot or a compilation of resident lots (sizes, what store content you are allowing or not allowing). I can at least sketch plans even if I am not home (I have a grid paper pad I take with me) and once I am able to get in game I won't be on square one.

These themes (Venice, European, etc.) I might even use or would create for my worlds/themes anyways- so this isn't out of my way. But I don't want to take away or overlap from what others are planning to work on.
    edited January 2020
    Hi everyone, I've updated page 1 to list who has been assigned to each train. If you would prefer a car on different train, please let me know.

In prep for the release of the train car shell, below are draft design notes. Please tell me if you would like anything changed for clarity.

(Edit! Removed draft text. Please refer to page 1 for design notes.)
    Post edited by soocoolsim on
    edited January 2020
    I haven't read the whole thread, but if you guys let me know what kind of lot or lots could help with lemme know. I could do a Venice Station or community lot or a compilation of resident lots (sizes, what store content you are allowing or not allowing). I can at least sketch plans even if I am not home (I have a grid paper pad I take with me) and once I am able to get in game I won't be on square one.

These themes (Venice, European, etc.) I might even use or would create for my worlds/themes anyways- so this isn't out of my way. But I don't want to take away or overlap from what others are planning to work on.

Hi @HollownessDevour,

We've only claimed the train cars so far, so the world lots are open. I've tossed out a few ideas, but I've only placed the rabbit holes in the world so far. Are there any of the community lots for a world you are particularly interested in? If you check the first 3 comments on the first page there is a lot idea/claim list.

If you don't mind, I'd love to use your Rococo Bath House for Venice's pool. Would you be okay with that?

We aren't using stuff packs or Into the Future. I only have a few things installed in my CAW folder (Monte Vista and last venue of amore so far) so if you could make a note of store content you use in your builds it would help me know what to have installed when placing the lots.

Soocoolsim claimed the London station, but the Venice station is open if you'd like to claim it. It's a 50 wide x 25 lot for now. Would you want to build some of the residential lots for Venice? I wanted to have the residential lots along the canal have water access so I was going to draw the lots partially over the water, just enough for a small dock. They won't be a standard size, but if you had a size in mind you wanted to build I could add the overhang onto the dimensions. I was thinking 30x20 or 30x30 for the residential lots in Paris, I don't have any idea for London yet. I'm still putting in the streets in the areas so I don't know lot sizes just yet to tell you.
    Venice currently looks like this, I only started the world 5 days ago. I'm removing some of the minor canals that boats won't fit in. Once I do I'll have a better idea what lots will fit. Those are the Monte Vista rabbitholes, if that gives you an idea of the scale of the island.
    caa242de0aedf41929c9e94e63ef488dc4202613.png
    The Venice train station lot is in the lower corner.

@Jessabeans , would it be possible to change the London station from a combo train lot to Option A like the others? That way it opens up more design opportunities with individual car lots. Thoughts?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top