Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sim HAS to change dorm upon re-enrollment?

My sim just finished their first term, and I wanted to keep them in their same dorm. When I had my re-enrollment menu pop up, the only housing options were Drake Hall, Darkwing House, Off Campus or At Home...None of these are my sims current dorm. Are you forced to switch housing each term?

Comments

• Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,183 Member
    Well, mine wasn't. He even kept his assigned bed and the doors were locked as I set them.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Your current dorm should already be highlighted on the menu. All I had to do was continue and my sim stayed put.
  • Coley666Coley666 Posts: 119 Member
    Same as above. I was able to stay in my current housing which didn't "reset" as a new dorm. I just continued as if nothing had happened.
    Sims Builder - Coley666
    jWIA95z.png
  • KHS12KHS12 Posts: 3,023 Member
    Ugh I wonder why my sims didn't get the option...
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    KHS12 wrote: »
    Ugh I wonder why my sims didn't get the option...

If your sim is in University Housing then they shouldn’t be getting the option to stay at home, maybe something is wrong 🤔
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    Dude don't switch houses it's glitched especially the packing up omg what a nightmare I lost all my progress like really!?!?
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    edited November 2019
    Briana2425 wrote: »
    Dude don't switch houses it's glitched especially the packing up omg what a nightmare I lost all my progress like really!?!?

Seriously, what a nightmare. :s
    Fortunately this was a test save and not my original save.
    I had two sims that had finished their first term and I wanted to move them into my custom dorm.

I don't know why this game won't let you move out both sims at the same time.
    One went over and the other removed the first one when she went over. The first one was homeless and I could not move her into the new dorm and I was having trouble moving her anywhere. I finally got them back into their original home with family members, but the game would not let me transfer them to the custom dorm. I had them visit and it was nice seeing dormies moving in, but I want to play it dang it.

This was funny though.
    While my sim was visiting, she grabbed that soccer ball from the trophy case and started playing with it.
    11-18-19_1-08-43nbspAM.png

I am starting over with a copy of my original save and I will leave them in the custom dorm until they graduate.
    This was just a test to learn from living in the pre-made dorm so I could improve my custom dorm.
    Maybe I want start my original save until another patch comes out to fix these bugs.
    I'll just work on creating and editing various lots.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    My sim didn't have a problem, even after I sent her home to her mum's house for Christmas between terms.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    CK213 wrote: »

I had two sims that had finished their first term and I wanted to move them into my custom dorm.

One went over and the other removed the first one when she went over. The first one was homeless and I could not move her into the new dorm and I was having trouble moving her anywhere. I finally got them back into their original home with family members, but the game would not let me transfer them to the custom dorm. I had them visit and it was nice seeing dormies moving in, but I want to play it dang it.

This was funny though.
    While my sim was visiting, she grabbed that soccer ball from the trophy case and started playing with it.

I am starting over with a copy of my original save and I will leave them in the custom dorm until they graduate.
    This was just a test to learn from living in the pre-made dorm so I could improve my custom dorm.
    Maybe I want start my original save until another patch comes out to fix these bugs.

@CK213 I only had one sim he finished his term but I was curious about the other form and roommates so I wanted to move out of that dorm and move into another but it wouldn't let me it kept saying packing up with that timer and when the timer ran out it wouldn't let me go on my phone to move out it went back to that packing up menu over and over. I couldn't exit to the neighborhood I couldn't even save my progress. So I had exit to the main menu without saving and lost all my progress of him going to school.
  • MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member

Oh so it is a glitch! I thought I screwed up somewhere. I wanted to move my sim into a sorority next term but it evicted her and I couldn’t move back into the dorms cause the term already started, so she was homeless. Fortunately I had a backup save.
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I tested this out and created a bug report here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Changing-university-housing-at-end-of-term-with-2-sims-in-same/m-p/8444665#M110800

Don’t know if any of you tried it under the same circumstances I did... I was trying to keep 2 sims together and move them into different university housing. One time, I got the “packing up & moving out” event on a loop. Most of the time, though, when Sim 2 arrived at the new housing, Sim 1 was no longer there.

I can work around it by NOT re-enrolling them, but moving them both to regular residential housing, then re-enrolling each of them from there. They didn’t lose their merritt scholarships, despite the warning (but maybe other types of scholarships can be lost this way).
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,284 Member
    What happens if you elect to have your Sim live off-campus?
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    What happens if you elect to have your Sim live off-campus?
    Not sure if your question is about moving between terms with 1 Sim or 2, but I just tested it out since this scenario is saved and handy to test for me.
    With 2 Sims living in a dorm together, at the end of their term I can re-enroll them and move them each into the same regular residential lot without a problem. They’re both still controllable and enrolled.

It’s when you try to move them both to a different uni housing that it’s buggy.

I even tried moving each of them to separate, new uni housing and that was fine.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    My sim lives on campus in a house that was university housing but I changed it to a residential lot and she gets to stay.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641

This was funny though.

Make sure you have the number of beds listed and the requirements are met. That’s the issue I had with mine not showing up

• CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member

This was funny though.

Make sure you have the number of beds listed and the requirements are met. That’s the issue I had with mine not showing up

That was something odd I noticed about the game.
    I read or heard that you can have up to 10 sims in the dorm, but the count only goes up to 9.
    I can't input 10.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    Do we have to make dorms fit for 8 sims or can we reduce the number of available beds? I want to build a dorm with single occupancy rooms so I was thinking of making 4-6 bedrooms and allowing more space for communal areas.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • CAF84CAF84 Posts: 113 Member
    So I hadn’t planned on buying this till it was on sale, but Friday was payday and after a few too many drinks I caved.

Now I regret it! Intensely!

It was okay, I was getting into it. I have the master controller mod And changed all the roommates in the dorm using Edit in CAS, to make them the sort of dorm mates I wanted for my sim.

They had a term, went great, all became good friends, my sim just started a fling with one of them and then the term ended. I got the option to stay in the dorm for the next term and kept the same bed and everything. The problem was that I travelled with my sim before the new term started. The game had a problem and recommended I restart. I didn’t think anything of it last night And closed the game as I was going to bed anyway. Today, I opened the game and she was at the venue she’d failed to get to last night. I sent her home and all her roommates have swapped to others. I have tried so many things to get her old roommates back (making it a residential property, getting them as regular roommates, bringing them into the family to get them all enrolled again - as they weren’t enrolled anymore - etc.). I tried for an hour and then gave up. What the hell is the point in trying to build an immersive uni experience if the friendship/dorm group I’d started to build disappears after 5 days each term? Rubbish. I cannot be bothered with this till someone makes a nod for dorm roommates allowing you to assign them.

For now, I’m out.

This was funny though.

That was something odd I noticed about the game.
    I read or heard that you can have up to 10 sims in the dorm, but the count only goes up to 9.
    I can't input 10.

It’s fine to have just 9, there just needs to be beds period or it doesn’t recognize it.

• ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    This is good info. I just kept my current sim (kind of a tester though I'll keep him) in the same dorm but moved him to a different room. He happened to join the dorm with the Best of Friends and I decided that they were going their separate ways so I didn't re-enroll those two and just let them move out.

I was thinking of having Tester Sim switch to another dorm or move off campus next semester but it is good to know that it is a little buggy. Most of the same sims stayed in the same dorm with a few new ones moving in. I was fine with that because I think it is realistic but it sounds like there are real bug issues with moving during the semester transition. I'll need to remember to save.

In this case, I hadn't bothered gathering up his stuff beforehand so I just kept him in the same dorm but I'll do that in the future.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • DerpDevilDerpDevil Posts: 1 New Member
    > @KHS12 said:
    > My sim just finished their first term, and I wanted to keep them in their same dorm. When I had my re-enrollment menu pop up, the only housing options were Drake Hall, Darkwing House, Off Campus or At Home...None of these are my sims current dorm. Are you forced to switch housing each term?

Same thing happened to me. Turns out, when I was messing around with freebuild to make the dorms more to my liking, I'd added an item not allowed on University Housing lots, which made it "incomplete". I went back to my last save, fixed the lot, and when my sim signed up for the next term, her dorm was back on the list. Easy peasy.
  • bloodmunbloodmun Posts: 26 Member
    > @DerpDevil said:
    > Same thing happened to me. Turns out, when I was messing around with freebuild to make the dorms more to my liking, I'd added an item not allowed on University Housing lots, which made it "incomplete". I went back to my last save, fixed the lot, and when my sim signed up for the next term, her dorm was back on the list. Easy peasy.

OMG thank you for this!! This was my whole problem.
  • cooperxmurraycooperxmurray Posts: 1 New Member
    [quote="DerpDevil;c-17320309"]> @KHS12 said:
    > My sim just finished their first term, and I wanted to keep them in their same dorm. When I had my re-enrollment menu pop up, the only housing options were Drake Hall, Darkwing House, Off Campus or At Home...None of these are my sims current dorm. Are you forced to switch housing each term?

Same thing happened to me. Turns out, when I was messing around with freebuild to make the dorms more to my liking, I'd added an item not allowed on University Housing lots, which made it "incomplete". I went back to my last save, fixed the lot, and when my sim signed up for the next term, her dorm was back on the list. Easy peasy.[/quote]

Thank you for this!! My issue was that, even though my Sims are at Brichester and their dorm is in Brichester on the map, in build mode under the settings it was ticked as a Foxbury dorm! So I changed it to Brichester and it’s now available!