Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rotational Play and University

julienrob2004julienrob2004 Posts: 4,172 Member
I am just wondering if anyone has tried rotational playing of families while one of their sims is at Uni , Does the sim already there finish and fail or just be in a waiting phase until played again . I ask because both my wife and I play on the same save and wondered what will happen to mine if i enrol them at Uni and then she plays hers before mine has finished there .
I know if mine are on vacation and she plays hers then mine return from the vacation and are back home when i play mine again
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• lauradean89lauradean89 Posts: 20 Member
    I’m interested in finding out how this works as well. I don’t share a game but have several families I rotate around with. I usually change my family at 6am on a Sunday morning to try and avoid sims being late for work/school. I’ve seen a few comments on another thread but they didn’t really make much sense to me.
    I understand that if your sim is at uni when you rotate away they will continue to ‘go to class’ and you will only get the bare minimum reward from that enrolled term. So from what I was previously reading you need to complete your rotation with the sim whose enrolled at university for the whole term and then swap to a different household before you re enrol to stop this from happening.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited November 2019
    The term continues even if it’s not the active household. In my experience, they automatically re-enrolled and got a B and B-. It seems to have given them a random number of classes.
    ** ETA: Sorry, I was confused about this. That is how it works for other playable sims, but not the sims you’ve played yourself. For the sims you’ve played yourself, I’ve experienced 2 different things when rotating back to them. In one, I was immediately given a chance to re-enroll, and it appeared he got an average grade because his GPA went from an A+ to an A. In the other household (another dorm), I returned to find them On Probation, but I get an option to enroll again and the Merit Scholarships are still there, so that’s weird. **

So if you want your sims to graduate with honors, make sure you play them through their entire term each time. You will lose scholarships if you do not immediately re-enroll when the term ends, though I believe you can re-apply later, and you’ll be given 4 hours to pack up your things if you are living in Uni housing.
    Post edited by babajayne on
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,654 Member
    edited November 2019
    I'm interested, too. But from my understanding so far (without having the pack yet), I'm planning to play a full term (5-7 days) without rotating, and with aging turned off for everybody. Then the student must enroll again for the next term, but I think there is no problem to wait with the next enrolling. Game will not push a non-enrolled student forward, so next time playing the student I'll enroll + play through 1 term.

This way I believe rotating between houses is no problem. It will even be cute if the student visits parents between terms. I need to find out what happens to their dorm room if they take a break to visit their hometown, though.

Added: uhuuu, just read the post by @babajayne - if breaks are too complicated, I will rather play my students through the full thing with aging off, but limit how often I will send students. Would be so much easier if we could switch households between terms...
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
    @Simmerville - It seems to me that a break in between terms is totally reasonable and a nice excuse to send them home, you can easily move them back to the same dorm and reclaim your preferred bed. You’ll lose any scholarships you have, but I don’t see why you can’t get them back, and it’s not prohibitively expensive to begin with. The roommate NPCs are going to change either way. I believe this is what I am going to do. Right now I’ve just been practicing with the premades. Just keep 1 household enrolled at a time if you want full control over their GPA and the classes they are signing up for.
  • lauradean89lauradean89 Posts: 20 Member
    University sounds awesome (I’m a console player so have to wait until it’s released) but the rotational play bit is a bit of a bummer now I’m used to that style of play. But you can’t have everything!
  • FreechheitFreechheit Posts: 128 Member
    babajayne wrote: »
    The term continues even if it’s not the active household.

Soooo annoying. :(

I hoped the term would freeze in played households, when I'm not actively playing them. What a bummer. :s

• MHsimsFanMHsimsFan Posts: 154 Member
    I'm still a bit confused by rotational play and university. Based on the comments above, I am under the impression that even if you do play a sim through a whole term and don't enroll them in the next term, there are consequences. Does anyone know if MCC has managed to mod this? I always pause pregnancies with it when I rotate families and I'm wondering if something similar will be developed for pausing uni progress???
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I didn't know you could pause pregnancies with MCCC. That is good news. I bet eventually we will be able to pause Uni too.

I bet it is too early to be available yet.
  • mischiefluvermischiefluver Posts: 738 Member
    I am a rotational player. Is that why I can't enroll any of my other sims in university after enrolling the first? My other sims turned in their applications almost a week ago and still have not heard back. So annoying! Do they have to go one at a time? How am I supposed to populate the world if they can only go one at a time?
  • FreechheitFreechheit Posts: 128 Member
    I am a rotational player. Is that why I can't enroll any of my other sims in university after enrolling the first? My other sims turned in their applications almost a week ago and still have not heard back. So annoying! Do they have to go one at a time? How am I supposed to populate the world if they can only go one at a time?

@mischiefluver
    Try to check on the computer, if your Sim is accepted. There is an option for that. Then you don't have to wait for the letter, it's a lot faster. :)
  • julienrob2004julienrob2004 Posts: 4,172 Member
    You can also check on your phone if your sim had got the scholarships or been accepted at Uni
  • gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    Freechheit wrote: »
    babajayne wrote: »
    The term continues even if it’s not the active household.

Soooo annoying. :(

I hoped the term would freeze in played households, when I'm not actively playing them. What a bummer. :s

Gosh, this is annoying indeed... I'll avoid rotational gameplay for my most beloved households then.
  • ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    This seems like a ridiculous oversight. The devs have to know how many rotational players there are. I just learned this lesson the hard way myself. Glad I decided to test things with the premades before sending my own sims to college.
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I read the above thread but just so I'm clear on it, if I play rotationally and have a sim conclude a semester, I can rotate. I'll just have to reapply for scholarships and choose new housing? The sim won't auto-enroll in a new term with poor grades, right?

I definitely don't want to send them one at a time but I can deal with easing some of them into university, so that eventually, I'll have a bunch of my own sims on campus together with some new roommates and townies.

Yes, they definitely need to remember that some sims play rotationally. It's also annoying that pets are basically always sick when I return to a household. I've started having the owners stockpile wellness treats so that they can give a treat when I play them again.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
    I'm so sorry about this but I was mistaken about something in my original comment. I just went back and edited it, so I wanted to let you know. The way they set this up is pretty confusing and I apologize if I confused you further.
  • joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    telemwill wrote: »
    I didn't know you could pause pregnancies with MCCC. That is good news. I bet eventually we will be able to pause Uni too.

I bet it is too early to be available yet.

I am hoping for a pause option with MCCC for uni too, I'm sure it can be done somehow.

I pause pregnancies with MCCC, and because I play quite a few households I see my poor "pregnant forever" sims waddling around all the time. I just know they hate me.
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • craterdwellercraterdweller Posts: 59 Member
    I’m trying out the “rotate after completing a term” but it sounds like it may have already been tested. I’m working with a relatively new save that I haven’t gotten too attached to yet as I ran into issues setting the neighborhood up using story mode (I didn’t know the “story” disappeared if you moved the family into the library instead of placing immediately onto a lot).

Crossing fingers but setting expectations low ...

Other than the possible rotation headaches I am quite enjoying the content.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Any videos out there with people playing rotationally? There seems to be so much confusion.
  • QueenBreeQueenBree Posts: 3 New Member
    I learned this the hardway, I was playing two different sims. I enrolled my 1st sim to foxbury for 1 term then enrolled my 2nd sim in ubrite for another term. When I went back to my 1st sim, he got suspended.

I was under the impression that since aging was off the term for unplayed household would be paused too BUT it is not! So be careful in playing rotational play.

This is a struggle for me because I already have a storyline in mind. I hope EA will address this and give us an option to pause the term on the unplayed sim.
  • ksimmiesksimmies Posts: 77 Member
    I think they need to do something about this.

I'm playing the Pleasants household and a Sim in the city rotationally. Well, the Pleasants got suspended while I was with the city sim, even though all of their homework was completed and studied on top of it. I don't know if they missed class or what.

I believe in Sims 2 the other sims got like average grades if you didn't play them. I think you should be able to pause households or something in this. The only other way I can think to play is to have all uni sims move in together. That's what I used to do in sims 2. But that defeats the purpose of being able to do uni at other world's.
  • rudolpharudolpha Posts: 997 Member
    The way I'm playing rotationally is to have a family complete a full term before switching. When the enrollment question comes up I x it out and if in a dorm move back home. Then I can play another family. It's working out well. Uni is hard enough without leaving mid term. I'm playing each family a bit longer now but that's OK. I leave aging on and don't think it's a factor here but I'm only rotating between two families so perhaps if some rotate more families per game it will be.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,654 Member
    If playing just one household on campus, will all the other dorms be filled up with NPCs? If I categorize some dorms as residential, will there be less NPC students and less activity in the world, or will there be the same amount of NPC students even if they have no place to stay?
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • SarahTheRedSarahTheRed Posts: 388 Member
    I wish it could pause class progress while the Sim isn't played. I had planned on sending two cousins to uni at once one at Foxbury and one at UBrite and they were gonna hang out with each other even though the were going to different Unis. I'd be interested to see how people make rotational play work. If this becomes an issue it seems like this is the kind of mod Little Ms. Sam could make, she's good at making mods that fix little game annoyances.
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    rudolpha wrote: »
    The way I'm playing rotationally is to have a family complete a full term before switching. When the enrollment question comes up I x it out and if in a dorm move back home. Then I can play another family. It's working out well. Uni is hard enough without leaving mid term. I'm playing each family a bit longer now but that's OK. I leave aging on and don't think it's a factor here but I'm only rotating between two families so perhaps if some rotate more families per game it will be.

This way of playing makes more sense. Finishing up the term, then moving sims back into their own house before switching households. Thank you.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • VageniusVagenius Posts: 487 Member
    I want to take multiple sims to school together. I made a whole new save of teens and got them all into friendships/relationships. This is a huge oversight by the devs and I won't buy the pack unless it is fixed or a modder at least figures out a fix. I was pretty 🐸🐸🐸🐸 that I had to put all my sims in different dorms unless I wanted to play them all in one family (the dorms should have been more like apartments than a penthouse.) I've already had to redo a bunch of neighborhoods and turn them into college towns with dorms. I always wait a week or so to get a pack to see what people have to say and this is pretty much the worst part of the whole pack for me. University has always been my favorite ep next to Seasons and I am struggling to even want to buy it with news like this.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top