Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Skills As Hobbies

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    @darrenfroggy - How cool would it be to gift a FO? (finished object for those not in the know) And maybe it doesn’t look great all the time, lol.
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    @babajayne oh that would be awesome! Sims wearing weirdly shaped hats all of a sudden (well, more so than the random townies already do haha)

In all honesty though, I'd love if we at least got it as an activity that doesn't produce any 'craftables'. It wouldn't really make sense that way though but I imagine having the rewards be CAS items might get complicated. Let alone things like wearables that can be chosen during live mode.

If you think about it though: we can already unlock CAS items via careers or skills. And we do have umbrellas that Sims choose in live mode. So... please, devs? ;)
  • Options
    Yeah, I’m down for any and all new activities. I don’t love that some of them are hidden skills, though, it makes them feel less real.
  • Options
    MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    edited November 2019
    I've also been breaking down the Programming skill into separate hobbies. Once you get to the top level, you've got options to hack, mod games, make plugins, even making computer/video games which gives a few extra hobbies under the programming cateogory. So I've been updating the list I'm using:

Arts & Crafts
    • Painting
    • Photography
    Cuisine
    • Baking
    • Canning
    • Cooking
    • Gourmet Cooking
    • Mixology
    • Nectar Making
    Film & Literature
    • Acting
    • Comedy
    • Writing
    Fitness
    • Fitness
    Boxing
    Diving
    Rock Climbing
     Running
     Swimming
     Weight Training

• Wellness
    Yoga
     Meditation

Games
    • Bowling
    • Logic
    Board Games
     Chess

• Mischief
    • Video Gaming
    Learning & Discovery
    • Archaeology
    • Selvadoradian Culture
    Music & Dance
    • Dance
    • DJ
    • Guitar
    • Media Production
    • Piano
    • Singing
    • Violin
    Nature
    • Archaeology
    • Flower Arranging
    • Gardening
    • Herbalism
    Science
    • Logic
    Astronomy
     Chess
     Chemistry

• Robotics
    • Rocket Science
    Sports ~ No specific skills but activities instead
    • Basketball
    • Football (Soccer)
    Tinkering
    • Handiness
    Woodworking
     Tinkering & Upgrading

• Programming
    Modding
     Creating Plugins
     Game Development
     Hacking

I think a hobby pack would definitely still be welcome because, like others have said, there are still so many other hobbies out there to include and I'd especially love something for the elders to be able to do.
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    @babajayne okay, so time to vote knitting into existence now :D
  • Options
    @babajayne okay, so time to vote knitting into existence now :D

I couldn't believe it when I saw that on the Maxis Monthly just now a045.gif
  • Options
    @darrenfroggy - Yes, I really hope we can make this happen!
  • Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    I remember seeing a pictue of the skill panel updated to add not only the skill levels to it, but also the hobby enthusiasm each sim had for certain hobbies. I would love that in the game. Some sims hating, some sims loving certain skills...
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    Karon wrote: »
    I remember seeing a pictue of the skill panel updated to add not only the skill levels to it, but also the hobby enthusiasm each sim had for certain hobbies. I would love that in the game. Some sims hating, some sims loving certain skills...

Hopefully this time we'd be able to choose which activity a sim has a natural talent for.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    MrsbumblebeeMrsbumblebee Posts: 7 New Member
    I like the way to make skills as hobbies but i think something whould make it even better. If the higher your skillpoints are the more likely it is that the sim whould do the activity autonomously. As a baker your sim whoul bake feekwently. I love the way the roommates in Discover university show of their personality by cleaning or bringing in foods all the time. I would like the sims interests to affect what they do. And I think that if you whoud get that if you make the skillbuilding activities more autonomously the more they do it.
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    My Sims use learning as a hobby. I just feel like if my Sims aren't learning something there is no point in doing it unless it's related to needs. Even filling the fun bar is educational. Skills are hobbies. The more they know the more they can do. They can even open up more if the hobby is related to a job or an aspiration. It's progressive! With some skills they can make money and that amount goes up with skill. Even with singing your Sim can win a karaoke contest outside of the job as an entertainer. There are programming and gaming competitions at Geekcon and the list goes on. My point is that skills are hobbies. No matter what is added to the game it's still a grind to do it no matter what object they are using or by just reading a book. Adding more hobbies/skills to the game would just be a change in scenery and how I build to incorporate the objects into my build. I welcome any to the game but it still feels like a grind. Sometimes I just want to play the game and tell a story. Oh, my Sim that is not creative was visiting a friend. My Sim just walked over and started playing the violin. He must like that. So my Sim just picked his own hobby and now it's part of my story. It no longer feels like a grind. More hobbies that can be picked up autonomously would be great. So I take my Sim home and buy him a violin so he can play it in his free time but I'm not pushing him into doing it because the grind will set in again.
  • Options
    AnnLee87 wrote: »
    My Sims use learning as a hobby. I just feel like if my Sims aren't learning something there is no point in doing it unless it's related to needs. Even filling the fun bar is educational. Skills are hobbies. The more they know the more they can do. They can even open up more if the hobby is related to a job or an aspiration. It's progressive! With some skills they can make money and that amount goes up with skill. Even with singing your Sim can win a karaoke contest outside of the job as an entertainer. There are programming and gaming competitions at Geekcon and the list goes on. My point is that skills are hobbies. No matter what is added to the game it's still a grind to do it no matter what object they are using or by just reading a book. Adding more hobbies/skills to the game would just be a change in scenery and how I build to incorporate the objects into my build. I welcome any to the game but it still feels like a grind. Sometimes I just want to play the game and tell a story. Oh, my Sim that is not creative was visiting a friend. My Sim just walked over and started playing the violin. He must like that. So my Sim just picked his own hobby and now it's part of my story. It no longer feels like a grind. More hobbies that can be picked up autonomously would be great. So I take my Sim home and buy him a violin so he can play it in his free time but I'm not pushing him into doing it because the grind will set in again.

I agree with this, I love it when my Sims *pick* their own hobby. So a certain level of autonomy is definitely welcome!