Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Seasons Pros and Cons

lzbthnndglslzbthnndgls Posts: 285 Member
Recently, I've been collecting packs that I want to add into my gameplay and I think would go well with my style of play. I am an architect/play willy nilly kind of simmer. There are packs I know I will never get, like Dine Out and Parenthood because I know I will not enjoy playing with those. Seasons used to be on the list, but I think it might be fun to do holidays. I already know I'm in love with some of the build/buy mode objects but I'm not sold on the whole weather thing. I actually enjoy it to be sunny all the time and not have to worry about the temperature. I also know that you can't turn off things like snow when building and that disgusts me. Basically, long story short, I like holidays and the BM items and the skills and gardening and other activities but I'm not thrilled about the weather part. Is there a way to turn the weather off permanently? And without the weather, do you think that Seasons is worth it?

TLDR: If you have Seasons, what is your favorite part and your least favorite part? For someone who doesn't care about the weather changing, is Seasons worth it?

Edit: Great feedback so far guys. Enjoying reading all your opinions and learning about how it works. More questions:
How does Seasons work with your other packs? Does it enhance gameplay with certain packs or does it interfere?
Favorite Build mode Item?
Favorite CAS item?
Favorite Holiday?
Least favorite holiday?
Check out my builds on the gallery by searching my username: lzbthnndgls
Post edited by lzbthnndgls on

Comments

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited September 2019
    In options, you can disable Sims being affected by the weather. So no longer will Sims die from extreme cold or extreme hot. You can also disable rain, thunderstorms, snow, and blizzards. So the temperature will still change to what it’s supposed to, you just won’t have any precipitation or deaths with these options turned off. So some days may still be cloudy and cold for example depending on the season. There’s also an object in the game where you can set the temperature and weather to whatever you want.

When I first got the pack, I loved the snow and the holidays. I even downloaded some mods to have even more holidays. Over time though, I realized I don’t care about holidays anymore. Idk, maybe I just grew tired of them. I didn’t delete them from my calendar though incase I change my mind one day, but my Sims don’t participate in the traditions, not on purpose anyway.

I really like the new items and clothes that came with the pack.
  • bubbajoe621bubbajoe621 Posts: 86 Member
    Too many cloudy days. The Sims 4 worlds are gorgeous and I get my lots all beautifully landscaped only to have a large percentage of the week gray and miserable. Also, as a builder, I may need to have a Sim on a lot to test stuff and I go to build mode and it's still showing the weather. It always seems to be cloudy, and that makes building really annoying. You can't turn it all the way off.

Also the deaths. The parent of a small child was walking home from a fishing trip and got struck by lightning twice. Don't go to the gym in a blizzard because everyone is in their gym clothes. First one will freeze to death on the sidewalk, then the rest will rush out to see and they will drop like flies. My Sim was happily exercising away when there was some commotion outside. We go to see and Holy Cow it's Geoffrey Landgraab. Then J. Huntington III, Don Lothario and some random townie drop. It was carnage.

I wish a hadn't bought it but I was lured by the build items. I sold my soul for a garden sprinkler and a stone column.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    In settings, you can disable temperature effects, rain, snow, thunderstorms and blizzards.

My favorite part of Seasons is the Create-A-Sim. It's absolutely gorgeous and has loads of stuff for toddlers. Most of it is just for fun though, like the Christmas Tree outfit.

My least favorite part is the Holidays. They're pretty intrusive, but you can always delete them.

And even without weather, it's totally worth it. The B/B is beautiful, the CAS is beautiful, and it adds a lot of meaningful gameplay.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Pros: Holidays, Weather, Calendar, CAS, and BB.

Cons: Lack of traditions/decorations for holidays I guess (and even then, I don't think it was too few). I can't think of too many cons here.

I think the pack is definitely still worth it even without the weather. The seasonal changes to the worlds are still gorgeous and fun to experience.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    For me, the weather is absolutely one of the pros of Seasons. As are the holidays (though they can be exhausting and complicate things sometimes). The calendar and having more of a sense of time within the game is great too.
    As many others pointed out, the CAS items are pretty and since I'm a builder, the BB items definitely are a pro for the pack.
    Overall, I really love Seasons for so many reasons. The worlds are beautiful with the season changes, the build items are awesome (skating rinks!!) and it adds so much to gameplay with holidays and a proper way to track passing time.

The cons can be some of the game-added holidays (which you can delete the day before though, but not permanently so it can get tedious) and indeed the inability to change the weather when you access build mode from live mode. However, weather doesn't affect map view so if you enter build mode from there, at most you'll see snow piles or snowpeople/snow angels on the ground. And you can absolutely turn snow off completely if you don't want it in your game at all. Same goes for rain and thunderstorms.

(also, as a frequent builder, the build/buy stuff in Parenthood was a big part of the reason why I got that GP. just thought I'd throw that in).
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    edited September 2019
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    In options, you can disable Sims being affected by the weather. So no longer will Sims die from extreme cold or extreme hot. You can also disable rain, thunderstorms, snow, and blizzards. So the temperature will still change to what it’s supposed to, you just won’t have any precipitation or deaths with these options turned off. So some days may still be cloudy and cold for example depending on the season. There’s also an object in the game where you can set the temperature and weather to whatever you want.

When I first got the pack, I loved the snow and the holidays. I even downloaded some mods to have even more holidays. Over time though, I realized I don’t care about holidays anymore. Idk, maybe I just grew tired of them. I didn’t delete them from my calendar though incase I change my mind one day, but my Sims don’t participate in the traditions, not on purpose anyway.

How is the game fun if you disable everything in Seasons? Isn't the point of Seasons is the weather?

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    The main con to me is all the townies dropping dead in the winter lol. That and everyone being terrified of Thunder. But I do love the pack
  • LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,827 Member
    @darrenfroggy you can absolutely delete holidays permanently

• SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member

I meant the randomly popping up one like Prank Day and Neighbourhood Brawl. I thought those can be deleted when they show up but then there's still a chance that they come back. It's something I'd happily be proven wrong about though :D
  • WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    I see no cons except the rain cause I always forget to buy umbrellas xD
    edited September 2019

How is the game fun if you disable everything in Seasons? Isn't the point of Seasons is the weather?

Maybe some people only wanted the holiday calendar? Maybe some people don’t want Sims dying from extreme cold/heat? Maybe some people don’t want Sims autonomously trying to shovel snow and have mud fights every few hours?

I’m glad they added the option to disable these things.

I meant the randomly popping up one like Prank Day and Neighbourhood Brawl. I thought those can be deleted when they show up but then there's still a chance that they come back. It's something I'd happily be proven wrong about though :D

They will randomly pop back up on the calendar. I had to download a mod to completely disable them from appearing.
  • Jon the WizardJon the Wizard Posts: 268 Member
    My favorite thing about Seasons is the seasons themselves and the weather. Love the snow, love the rain, love everything about 'em. That said, my biggest con is when the weather messing with other stuff. Like if it's raining when GeekCon rolls around (provided you've got City Living installed and you should because it's a good pack), the rain will fry all the computers and the VR mats, so there's essentially no way of doing the Hack-a-thon or the Ultimate Gaming Challenge.
  • LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,827 Member

They will randomly pop back up on the calendar. I had to download a mod to completely disable them from appearing.

I've never had them pop back up. I guess I've just been lucky.
  • lzbthnndglslzbthnndgls Posts: 285 Member
    I sold my soul for a garden sprinkler and a stone column.

I am still laughing so hard rn

Maybe some people only wanted the holiday calendar? Maybe some people don’t want Sims dying from extreme cold/heat? Maybe some people don’t want Sims autonomously trying to shovel snow and have mud fights every few hours?

I’m glad they added the option to disable these things.

This is exactly what I want to hear. Sure, in some saves I want the weather and I want to experiment with it and everything but in some of my existing saves, I just want it to be summer year round and enjoy some holidays sans weather.

@pepperjax1230 I know it seems a bit confusing but the weather isn't the main attraction for me in Seasons. Holidays sound awesome, like the one with the gnomes and those windows and doors in BM are what I lust for.
    My favorite thing about Seasons is the seasons themselves and the weather. Love the snow, love the rain, love everything about 'em. That said, my biggest con is when the weather messing with other stuff. Like if it's raining when GeekCon rolls around (provided you've got City Living installed and you should because it's a good pack), the rain will fry all the computers and the VR mats, so there's essentially no way of doing the Hack-a-thon or the Ultimate Gaming Challenge.

I do have City Living. And this is good to know. So rain will fry all electronics outside? Will it affect anything else?
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    For someone who doesn't care about the weather changing, is Seasons worth it?

probably not
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
    edited September 2019
    As far as building goes I start a new save set in summer for 28 days. Once I'm done I add the lot to my regular game. Or if I need the weather to be decent for pics and it's cloudy in summer, I change it with the weather machine to clear skies. I wish there was a weather cheat like in ts3.
  • lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
    Anyhoo Seasons is more thsn just the weather changing. Getting that pack totally changed the game for me although I still have my issues but that's for another thread. I add my own holidays because I never celebrated Christmas and things like that so winterfest isn't a thing. Along with spooky day or whatever that me*ss is called.
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    edited September 2019
    One thing to consider:

I've found that when the weather's freezing (or sometimes just cold) you'll often find that if you want to plant something, the 'plant' option is greyed out, and hovering over it produces a message saying 'too cold to plant'.

I've hand this happen many times, even when planting indoors where the plant is sheltered, with a thermostat present that's set to warm.

I only plant fruit, veg and a few herbs though, and each one only gets planted in one season so I most often experience this trying to plant spinach in winter.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
    @BabySquare That's good to know. I usually do a lot of gardening with my sims.
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    @BabySquare That's good to know. I usually do a lot of gardening with my sims.

Yeah, and thanks; glad I could help.

I probably manage gardening a bit differently than you do;
    each plant either:
    - has 1 season when it's 'in season' (ie spinach = winter)
    - has 2 seasons (ie carrot = spring & autumn)
    - doesn't have a set season (ie, plasma fruit, grow fruit etc)

I've sorted by plants into little rooms I keep in my library, 1 for each season, and each plant only falls into 1 season category (for example, I decided carrots were more autumnal so I chose not to plant them in spring. I also rotate households every sim week) - when I rotate households, I plonk down the room for the current season and move the plants to the relevant places for my sims to plant.

Therefore, if it's a very cold winter and all week temperatures stay at freezing it's a pain because I can't get that household to plant, grow or harvest spinach (sometimes onions & potatoes too) that winter.

As I said, I probably do things differently than you so you might not have this problem. :)
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • akasevenakaseven Posts: 279 Member
    For me the best thing about seasons is the calendar you can put together your seasonal events, and of course it's the only expansion that affects the whole game and future packages.

My cons of the expansion is something in particular, at the sims 3 every season had a seasonal festival in the central park of the world, I loved it so much and miss it at four. (although we have something similar to city living)
    I love the effects and especially the lighting but I am bothered by the fact that when it rains no water or drips on the roof, I loved those little details that existed in ts2 and ts3.

Other than that it is a necessary expansion, to configure some things as I remember, like if you want rain ou snow and some other things.
  • thistle0tattoothistle0tattoo Posts: 10 New Member
    The part of seasons that I find annoying is that calendar and that decoration in and around the house that 'the game' always hangs on the house without being asked. How do I get rid of that? That entire calendar and those assignments do not interest me. The weather types are nice, especially with those heavy snowstorms and the sims that literally turn blue from the cold.