Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What Skills Can Kids Get? What else can they do?

SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
I'm working on a sort of Super Sim Challenge and don't want to miss anything. (I say sort of because I'm playing with aging off)

I always play large families and haven't ever maxed any of the jobs etc, in fact I only just maxed aspirations for the first time recently, and I've decided I want to try everything out. I have all the packs except vampires so no vampire skills.

So far Callie, my "Super Sim" maxed out all her toddler skills for the happy toddler or whatever you get trait, and then aged into child.

She has now completed all 4 aspirations for kids and maxed out the related skills as well as started on the skills for:
Charisma, Logic, Fishing, Mischief, Video Gaming, Singing, Violin & Photography. (Some she's maxed, some just started)

She's also completed the Scout Career, has an A in school, and found all the voidcritter cards (though 7 to go in Foil Still, not sure if I'll go for that or not) and the My first pet postcard set, as well as the Holiday Cracker Plushie set. Working on MySims dolls still. She is working on Drama Club but despite having all the promotion requirements complete has NEVER gotten a promotion in drama club for some reason.

She is also working on full personality traits (like the responsiblity stuff)

What I want to know is,

1.Are there any other skills that kids who have completed aspirations, can learn? I don't want to miss any that she can do while she is a child.
2. What else should she be doing as a kid?
3. Is Drama Club bugged? She has the daily task and promotion requirements but still hasn't gotten a promotion after 3 days of club.
4. When she reaches teen is there anything particular she should do? I'm thinking that after she gets an A in school and completes all the teen jobs to highest level, and if her traits are still in range I should age her up so we don't have to worry about school anymore, but don't want to miss some teen only activities.

Playing this challenge without any mods.

N6HXzX2.png

*Edit, I know she can do piano as well as a child, but are there any other pack related skills for example she can learn now?

Comments

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,502 Member
    What an intriguing and time-consuming challenge you have set for yourself. I do wish I could answer your question, but the fact is I do not know. I just get dismayed when I make posts to learn x amount of people have read it or viewed it and none have responded. I will respond, even if I haven't got the answer, so you won't see x amount have read it. It's simply disheartening. I wish you great good luck in your quest, and I do hope someone who has an answer comes along to help you. :)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    What an intriguing and time-consuming challenge you have set for yourself. I do wish I could answer your question, but the fact is I do not know. I just get dismayed when I make posts to learn x amount of people have read it or viewed it and none have responded. I will respond, even if I haven't got the answer, so you won't see x amount have read it. It's simply disheartening. I wish you great good luck in your quest, and I do hope someone who has an answer comes along to help you. :)

Haha 😂 awesome! Thanks for the reply :)
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    So I didn't remember and I went digging. Per Carl's guide and the Sims Wiki, the Child skills open up the following:

Mental: Fishing, Logic, Video Gaming.
    Social: Charisma, Mischief
    Creativity: Piano, Violin
    Motor: none.

I can't find any info on Bowling, but as children can play it, maybe they gain the skill? (I don't have the pack so I can't test)
    If you have the Vampires pack, Vampire Lore is a skill children can acquire without needing to max any of their Child Skills.
    I don't think Children can learn any of the other skills until they age up to Teens. (besides Photography which you already mentioned)

The Drama Club lack of promotion seems like a bug, especially if she's never progressed from the first level. I've managed to get a child Sim to lvl3 (not lvl4 though, I wonder if that one's only for Teens, but I can't find info on it anywhere) by the usual promotion method of maxing out performance.

As for Teens, I don't think that there are skills or aspirations that can't be completed as Young Adults. The only thing that goes after that stage is the personality traits as far as I'm aware.
    Hope that helps and good luck with the challenge!
    So I didn't remember and I went digging. Per Carl's guide and the Sims Wiki, the Child skills open up the following:

I can't find any info on Bowling, but as children can play it, maybe they gain the skill? (I don't have the pack so I can't test)
    If you have the Vampires pack, Vampire Lore is a skill children can acquire without needing to max any of their Child Skills.
    I don't think Children can learn any of the other skills until they age up to Teens. (besides Photography which you already mentioned)

The Drama Club lack of promotion seems like a bug, especially if she's never progressed from the first level. I've managed to get a child Sim to lvl3 (not lvl4 though, I wonder if that one's only for Teens, but I can't find info on it anywhere) by the usual promotion method of maxing out performance.

As for Teens, I don't think that there are skills or aspirations that can't be completed as Young Adults. The only thing that goes after that stage is the personality traits as far as I'm aware.

Vampires is the only pack I don't have and don't wanted so I'll skip that one. I'll try out bowling though! Thanks!!

If my sim doesn't get promoted in drama I will try again as a teen i guess and if still now ill have to skip that one maybe. I'll give her a week though as a child in it first I think to see what happens.
  • CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member

They can learn the bowling skill 👌
  • akaniki0akaniki0 Posts: 470 Member
    Isn't playing with blocks for motor?
  • AmandèleAmandèle Posts: 378 Member
    Kids can also learn the pet training skill I think :)
    Sorry for the mistakes, English is not my first language ^^'
    Thanks guys! Time to find a bowling alley in the gallery and adopt a pet I guess haha! But I think I'll max her other skills before getting a pet.

In the meantime, She's finally moving up in the drama club so I just it just takes several days. She's level 3 or 4 now. :) Clicking on her mum allowed her mum to attend her performance.
  • JediMuppetJediMuppet Posts: 98 Member
    Can kids learn the dancing skill?
    JediMuppet wrote: »
    Can kids learn the dancing skill?

Ooh maybe. I will try! Thanks for the suggestion.

Okay so far my child Sim has maxed out

Motor
    Creativity
    Mental
    Social
    Charisma
    Mischief
    Violin
    Video Games
    Singing
    Fishing
    Logic

Working on Piano

I tried skating but no skill points so I guess I gotta wait on that one.

Pet training we just got a pet but I don't see how to train it yet. I might be missing something so will update.

Gonna try dancing & bowling soon

If anyone else has any ideas let me know haha.

• Fallenxroses7Fallenxroses7 Posts: 92 Member
    I believe kids can learn photography skill, also that's a really cool challenge! you should post rules for that challenge so other players can try it out :smile:
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    I tried out all the skills with my forever-kid recently, even with books for skills that I knew she couldn't learn otherwise, and this is what I found:

Maxed Creativity unlocks: Media Production, Photography, Piano, Pipe Organ, Singing, Violin.
    Maxed Mental unlocks: Fishing, Logic, Video Gaming.
    Maxed Social unlocks: Charisma, Mischief. (Not Comedy for some reason.)
    Maxed Motor unlocks nothing.
    Available from the start: Bowling, Pet Training, Vampire Lore.
    I couldn't teach her any of the other skills, not even with books.

Keep in mind that you don't have to complete the aspirations to unlock these skills, just max the corresponding child skills. However, it makes sense to do both hand in hand as completing the aspiration will also allow kids to build these adult skills faster.

As for your "super sim", you could have had yet another advantage by having her with Father Winter, so she would have gotten an extra trait that makes it easier to gain satisfaction points.
    I believe kids can learn photography skill, also that's a really cool challenge! you should post rules for that challenge so other players can try it out :smile:

Oh right, I forgot but yes you are right and we've already maxed it haha.

I don't really have rules yet, just combining a few challenges, but as I finish each stage maybe I'll do that :D
    I tried out all the skills with my forever-kid recently, even with books for skills that I knew she couldn't learn otherwise, and this is what I found:

Maxed Creativity unlocks: Media Production, Photography, Piano, Pipe Organ, Singing, Violin.
    Maxed Mental unlocks: Fishing, Logic, Video Gaming.
    Maxed Social unlocks: Charisma, Mischief. (Not Comedy for some reason.)
    Maxed Motor unlocks nothing.
    Available from the start: Bowling, Pet Training, Vampire Lore.
    I couldn't teach her any of the other skills, not even with books.

Keep in mind that you don't have to complete the aspirations to unlock these skills, just max the corresponding child skills. However, it makes sense to do both hand in hand as completing the aspiration will also allow kids to build these adult skills faster.

As for your "super sim", you could have had yet another advantage by having her with Father Winter, so she would have gotten an extra trait that makes it easier to gain satisfaction points.

That's true, haha. Oh well. Too late for that lol!

Pipe Organ is a vampire pack though, right? Or can any Sim get it? I don't have the vampire pack so won't be doing the vampire lore one.

Thanks for the help!!! I didn't think about Media Production. Adding that to my list! Completing the aspirations is part of my challenge so I did it at the same time.

So far before she becomes a teen I think I still have left:
    Pet Training
    Bowling
    Media Production
    Piano

As well as finish the My Sims doll collectables. And I'm thinking of finishing the void critters collectables in limited edition foil versions as well (She's finished them in the "normal" versions but is missing the foil versions of 5 of them still. )

And then finally get all her values in max trait range.

Maybe make her famous as well haha.

So still away to go before she becomes a teen but about 2/3 of the way there haha.

My Sim (on the left) with a few of her friends:
    xMwS3lz.png
  • Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    I'd suggest maybe buying level one skills books or going to a library, for things that seem likely they can learn, for the kid to read and see if any give skill?
    Rae357 wrote: »
    I'd suggest maybe buying level one skills books or going to a library, for things that seem likely they can learn, for the kid to read and see if any give skill?

Wait, you can read skill books at the library?!?!
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited September 2019

That's exactly what I did to come up with the list I posted before.

@SimAlexandria I forgot to say, yes, Pipe Organ is a skill from the Vampires GP.

That's exactly what I did to come up with the list I posted before.

@SimAlexandria I forgot to say, yes, Pipe Organ is a skill from the Vampires GP.

Okay thanks :) I'll have to skip that one then. I aim to get her to be the most possibly skilled Sim for my particular version of the Sims game, but I don't plan to buy packs and change my game just for the challenge haha!!!
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited September 2019
    This may not be 100% relevant to your purposes but I thought that this was cool so I had to share.

Kids can learn the vampire lore skill and it’s amazing for getting that A in school extra fast. You don’t even need to have completed any childhood aspirations in order to learn it.

For a start, it’s an eligible skill for getting an A at school for both children and teens. So if a child sim gets their vampire lore skill up to level 4 they will not only be eligible for an A at school as a child, but when they become a teen they will already have a skill high enough to get an A in high school. In contrast, because childhood skills don’t carry over to teenagehood, if you have a child get to level 4 of a childhood skill in order to get an A at school, once they become a teen they will have to level an adult skill to ever 3 before they can get an A.

Also, vampire lore skill levels up much more quickly than other skills (probably because 15 levels rather than 10), which makes getting to level 4 much quicker.

You can level up a child’s vampire lore skill even faster if one of their parents has high vampire lore skill. In that case, the parent can “share vampire lore” with the child only 3 times and BAM instant level 4 vampire lore and helloooo A at school.

So, if your only goal is to get an A at school ASAP, vampire lore is your friend. I’m utilising this in my 100 baby challenge.

You said your sim already has an A so these considerations probably don’t matter to you but still, vampire lore is skill that kids can learn and which you may therefore want to try with your future super sim.

ETA: Just saw you don’t have Vampires. My bad!
    This may not be 100% relevant to your purposes but I thought that this was cool so I had to share.

Kids can learn the vampire lore skill and it’s amazing for getting that A in school extra fast. You don’t even need to have completed any childhood aspirations in order to learn it.

For a start, it’s an eligible skill for getting an A at school for both children and teens. So if a child sim gets their vampire lore skill up to level 4 they will not only be eligible for an A at school as a child, but when they become a teen they will already have a skill high enough to get an A in high school. In contrast, because childhood skills don’t carry over to teenagehood, if you have a child get to level 4 of a childhood skill in order to get an A at school, once they become a teen they will have to level an adult skill to ever 3 before they can get an A.

Also, vampire lore skill levels up much more quickly than other skills (probably because 15 levels rather than 10), which makes getting to level 4 much quicker.

You can level up a child’s vampire lore skill even faster if one of their parents has high vampire lore skill. In that case, the parent can “share vampire lore” with the child only 3 times and BAM instant level 4 vampire lore and helloooo A at school.

So, if your only goal is to get an A at school ASAP, vampire lore is your friend. I’m utilising this in my 100 baby challenge.

You said your sim already has an A so these considerations probably don’t matter to you but still, vampire lore is skill that kids can learn and which you may therefore want to try with your future super sim.

Interesting facts anyways, so thanks!!! But yeah, I don't have vampires and don't want them in my game so won't be getting that pack. And I finished my 100 baby challenge last week hahaha!!! But I still like learning fun facts about other packs.

I found school projects or mentoring teens in painting worked super good too. If you have a level 10 painter (which my 100baby matriarch was), your teens can get their lvl 3 skill in about 5-7 seconds haha. The bar pretty much fills up instantly to lvl 2 when they start to paint with a mentor and a few seconds later lvl 3.
  • bandit5bandit5 Posts: 919 Member
    In sims 3 or sims 2 the kid oven gave them a boost on cooking skill
    bandit5 wrote: »
    In sims 3 or sims 2 the kid oven gave them a boost on cooking skill

That's neat :) This is for Sims 4 though, I don't really enjoy the earlier versions so I rarely play them haha! Thanks for the tip anyways though.

Okay I finally figured out why I couldn't get any pet training skill for my kid. Apparently you can only train dogs, not cats lol! I got my Sim to adopt a dog now.
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member

Interesting facts anyways, so thanks!!! But yeah, I don't have vampires and don't want them in my game so won't be getting that pack. And I finished my 100 baby challenge last week hahaha!!! But I still like learning fun facts about other packs.

I found school projects or mentoring teens in painting worked super good too. If you have a level 10 painter (which my 100baby matriarch was), your teens can get their lvl 3 skill in about 5-7 seconds haha. The bar pretty much fills up instantly to lvl 2 when they start to paint with a mentor and a few seconds later lvl 3.

Off topic but congrats! I’ve been buying the kids lots of extra school projects so that the school progress bar goes up faster (lucky kids). My ‘matriarch’ is Vlad :D and he is a level 10 painter so that’s great to know about the painting skill :)