Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Share your Island Living builds!

Comments

• NachoqtpieNachoqtpie Posts: 16 Member
    So I know this is a building post... but since I can't make a new post (arrrg!!) I thought I would ask here.

Has anyone seen like a glowing blue.... something??? in the ocean on the island where you clean everything? I just got the "yay! It's clean!" pop up and then I went down to look at the ocean and there was like a blue glowing algae (or something... LOL). I would post a picture... but... :D
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    @Nachoqtpie that's bioluminescent algae, as briefly explained in this thread: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17134867#Comment_17134867

it's considered a good thing and a sign that the island's local marine ecosystem is healthy
  • ShadyLady_DQShadyLady_DQ Posts: 476 Member
    edited June 2019
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    @ShadyLady_DQ :astonished: that is beautiful! Especially the kitchen!

The kitchen and greenhouse are my fav parts of the house, I've never built a connecting indoor outdoor area like that and I LOVE it! <3 I also really love the crazy colorful artist master suite upstairs, there is an en suite bathroom I didn't show.
  • NachoqtpieNachoqtpie Posts: 16 Member
    kalaksed wrote: »
    @Nachoqtpie that's bioluminescent algae, as briefly explained in this thread: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17134867#Comment_17134867

it's considered a good thing and a sign that the island's local marine ecosystem is healthy

OH! Well... awesome!! Thank you :smile:
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    edited July 2019
    Wrong thread.
    Post edited by simgirl1010 on
  • miss_simlishmiss_simlish Posts: 460 Member

Well, it took awhile, but I finally finished the Mua Pel'Am Conservation Research Lab. More pictures under the spoiler - there is a bit of a story. I hope you all like it! Sorry if the pictures aren't the best quality, I'm not really sure why they didn't save very well. It's not on the gallery, because I've honestly never uploaded anything to the gallery before, I just wanted to share here. If anyone is interested though, I'll try and figure it out :D

oKnRmT2.jpg

Located on the site of the former shipwreck on Mua Pel'Am, this state of the art facility is the headquarters to all conservation efforts on the island. The main floor of the building acts as a public space with a small display of local artifacts, as well as native fish species. The main attraction is the large aquarium used as a training site for rescue divers.
    CxLQLqd.jpg
    A drone image of the facility showcases the grounds. Guests should be mindful of the shark pond, which the staff uses to raise pups until they are large enough to be released back to the ocean. While young, these sharks can still be very dangerous.

09eNcQz.jpg
    nJeGUJE.jpg
    Rear entrance to the building. Locals have reported the sightings of military vehicles. It is currently unknown the purpose of the increased security personnel.

FEadSQS.jpg
    The main entrance displaying the small aquariums which house native fish species.

TmKJ4Gu.jpg
    WkijIrj.jpg
    Inside the main entrance leads directly to the large aquarium.

cM7GiXn.jpg
    PDOrfuA.jpg
    To the left is the artifacts room, with local fish types.

5rdELCq.jpg
    The second floor is staff only, the first area of which being the access to the main floor aquarium. A small bathroom with a disinfection shower is around the corner, to ensure the water remains clean and free of contaminates.

bzEEtJc.jpg
    Also upstairs is a research lab for conservationists...

5IkgT60.jpg
    And a private office for the Chief Environmentalist to meet and discuss island policies.

pOuT8Qc.jpg
    The basement of the building is also restricted to the public. These exclusive images were obtained by an unnamed employee of the facility.

hIBuSvq.jpg
    A security door prevents access without the proper key code. It has been reported that the military has taken over this section of the building, restricting even the researchers who work here.

FRexChG.jpg
    Behind the door is a large industrial tank. It appears that the water is being prepared to house an unknown species, perhaps for further research.

1guDadW.jpg
    DO2vAWn.jpg
    Rf5u0Bg.jpg
    Around the tank is another set of stairs, leading to the main laboratory. A strange plant seems to be housed here. Perhaps a recent discovery. It appears that experiments are being conducted on the plant. Surely samples of the local waters are being analyzed as well.

USHQ6jC.jpg
    Or9plcR.jpg
    Across the corridor is a second lab, where it would seem that the industrial tank is being monitored. What are they planning on housing there?

LErYi4G.jpg
    The military has reportedly brought in this special equipment. It appears to be an X-Ray machine surrounding a water tank? Perhaps if a new species was discovered, they are using this device to study the skeletal structure. A treadmill is waiting near by, which would suggest experiments on the endurance. What kind of fish could run on a treadmill, though?

Thanks for checking it out! Hope you liked my little story. In case I wasn't obvious enough, I think maybe they've got mermaids locked up in the basement. Sorry for the really long post, I'm just pretty proud of this build. :D
    @LaurenLoser16 you've got a right to be proud of that build, it's quite impressive. (i'm also happy to see another research center, though am jealous of both how nice the exterior looks and how well it blends into the scenery compared with mine) and it's got a great story to it, too. that x-ray machine paired with the scientist display shelf is pretty ingenious, too
  • miss_simlishmiss_simlish Posts: 460 Member
    kalaksed wrote: »
    @LaurenLoser16 you've got a right to be proud of that build, it's quite impressive. (i'm also happy to see another research center, though am jealous of both how nice the exterior looks and how well it blends into the scenery compared with mine) and it's got a great story to it, too. that x-ray machine paired with the scientist display shelf is pretty ingenious, too

Thanks so much! I was just starting the interior when I saw your lab. I tried so hard to hide fish in my tank like yours, and also use your “diving platform”, I just couldn’t get it to look right! So sadly my aquarium is just a big empty pool, lol 😆

• MorriSanMorriSan Posts: 412 Member
    edited July 2019
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    @MorriSan holy simplum, The Nereus is absolutely incredible! How long did it take you to build that?! Excellent job!

I was just looking at that in-game, it's awesomely incredible :)

I wanted to place it on that empty 50x50 lot on the left-hand island but when I clicked on it to go into build mode it totally crashed my entire computer (the EA empty Lot, not MorriSan's) - is there something wrong with that Lot?

I'm so stoked that people like that yacht! I hope it is working for you now? I have some difficulties with lots ATM but all in other location, Sulani is working fine. There's a well known but unfixed terrain elevetation bug going around one reason why I did not use that tool in my latest builds. But this reminds me to always include my 'home lot' name in the descriptions, I guess Sulani builds more than any other tend to fit one lot and would require tweaking on others. Imagine placing Nereus on a Willow Creek lot....

Someone else commented that it gave them no problems but we all know that lot placement can be temperamental. Have you placed it with active bb.moveobjects cheat?

@Amapola76 Thank you! Ships/Boats/Submarines... they are something of a faible of mine. And practise helps to avoid frustration because I know from experience what works.... most if the time. Sometimes I find new ways to deal with a building problem, which always delights me. But alas, boats, I love them. Don't ask me to build a commercial lot, I'll fail miserably.

@SimTrippy, thank you! It took me about 5 days (good thing I did not need to invent the wheel anew thanks to my boat mania, so to speak) with little sleep. We've got a heatwave where I'm living which makes everythign but sitting still (even sleeping) a chore. Lots of time to Sim!

@djacquelynstew *smiles* Thanks! The link should be in the blue colored 'The Nereus' name above the first pic!

@83bienchen, @Kathykins *blushes*

@ShadyLady_DQ Beautiful! Especially the kitchen/greenhouse combo, I will download it for my game!
    Post edited by MorriSan on
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    I don't know how can I share a link for my build?
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • ShadyLady_DQShadyLady_DQ Posts: 476 Member

First save/upload the lot to your gallery in game then go to the gallery on your web browser, not in game, find the build you want to share and then click on it and copy the link. Then paste the link into the link button in the forums. Hope this helps!

• SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Hey btw guys, did anyone get around to making a Sulani-themed vet clinic by any chance? I could really use one :joy:
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    @MorriSan wow 5 days for a build! You must have a lot of patience, but it shows because that lot is totally amazing.

I am just doing some more editing in that world, I will have another go at placing the yacht. I thing some of the areas in the world are a bit buggy as there are reports over at the AHQ about it, particularly the 50x50 lot, so I will see how it goes. I hope EA provides a fix soon.
    @LaurenLoser16 slightly late response, but now that i'm back to sims on sulani i can try to show a bit more detail about a few of the things i've done in that lot...

we'll start with the fishing signs. this shows how i've 'hidden' one in the top of a light (the other is in a similar location)
    bccab7fbc192a8c509bcdf4213a0034d.png
    this means they're just slightly beneath the floor of the level above. i wound up doing this so they could be seen on both levels... if you just put them on the same level as the top of the pool, you'll see the fish swimming and jumping from that level but everything will be hidden if viewed from the level below
    this next shot shows just how far away from the pool the sign has to be (it's at the top of the light in the bottom part of the image while you can see the fish jumping way up at the top)
    7e49dd612de8eaa150f45aed2a5034da.png

next up, we'll show the coffee table from my first pet stuff. it's what started my whole 'shrink and hide things' idea, actually
    this shot shows a regular one on the left, a shrunk down version on the right
    838ef83bbc0df09ce154b7e0e74d81f7.jpg
    you can see the table itself and the 'attached' decor shrank while the seaweed and animated fish didn't. i was able to use this to my advantage, hiding the shrunk down table among rocks and plants in the bottom of one tank while leaving it moved high enough up that the fish were swimming visibly
    here you can actually see parts of the table beneath this plant, while also seeing the fish swimming around (...and partially inside the plant). the plant and another surrounding it also help hide the fact that those bits of seaweed are actually floating (that was the hardest part to deal with for me, the floating vegetation)
    037f713fa9de18b56f225edb4eb5bb2d.jpg

the aquariums were similar, shrunk down and hidden among rocks and things. i did leave them slightly poking out their camouflage when i uploaded my lot so people could find them easily to put fish in (if they wanted to)
    4d565095ae0879f352b4eb6f10bdf6d3.jpg
    this last shot shows 3 of the 4 available aquariums and then shrunk down versions in front of them so you see just how few plants/coral are left for decor purposes (i skipped the one from cats and dogs because the stuff in it looks so obviously plastic that it didn't work for my purposes)
    d7a575f0b89c92385c77dfae7a82a782.jpg

an interesting thing that wound up both being somewhat helpful and somewhat annoying is the way pools and foundations work (or don't work...) together. since i built on a coastal lot, i couldn't use basements which hurt some of my ideas (like putting things just barely poking above the lower floor like with the fishing signs) but it seems pools placed in the middle of rooms on foundations either delete the foundations beneath them or the bottoms of the pools just don't know how to act when you try to place things on them... a lot of stuff 'falls through' the bottom when you try to place it, settling on the ground below the foundation. with move objects on, though, you can alt + 9 to raise items to where you want them... so was able to put just the vegetation just above the visible ground in a few cases (though that makes it hard, if not impossible to recover the aquariums later if you forgot to put fish in them first...)
  • JojoMOMSTERJojoMOMSTER Posts: 1,957 Member
    edited July 2019
    So I thought I would build a simple shack on Key Point lot.

I ended up with a $44011 A-Frame Beach House. This is an off-grid compliant one bed, one bath home. gallery price 36511 (unfurnished it's 10535 which placed on Key Point is $17535)

8tsLOPP.png
    saAZtV6.png
    A-Frame with a cutaway at the back for an ocean view and lots of light.

vG5RS5h.png
    The build is diagonal to the lot, this is the "land entrance" where the porch wraps around one side leading to the stairs. The stairs face towards the front of the lot. I decided not to lanscape and just leave the lot as sand.

dJDK447.png
    The main floor has dormers (is that the correct term on the main floor?) in the bedroom and bathroom to allow for more windoow.

QlTyEBV.png
    From the front because the land side is the front of the lot

O0NAjIu.png
    Top-Down, main floor

cDvHBsC.png?1
    Top-Down, upper floor

zpvjmo6.png
    Front door on the back deck over the water

6rOAgTw.png
    Indoor dining and simple seating in the open plan room

KAJ7tXk.png
    Off-grid kitchen, hopefully they will grill most of the time and not run the oven when it's hot outside.

FYAutz0.png
    The door on the left leads to the bathroom, the door on the right to the bedroom

Fx2ep6N.png
    nLD7RXF.png
    SIM tested, all good, art is by MandyKay77

asuN2T3.png
    Where's my view of a waterfall from my bedroom window? I don't have that.

3XmWtck.png
    Opposite end of the bedroom, art by MandyKay77

YasVxPY.png
    This is a view from outside the bedroom window looking through to the kitchen window showing how the main floor is designed to allow for a cross breeze.

WORSPpC.png
    Little upstairs balcony looking into the office.

j6Dr7XE.png
    Simple office, art is by roseymow and tiya33

vSAs540.png
    from the office looking towards the empty room

owRJoiq.png
    not sure what goes in here yet

NGMVVrK.png
    from the outside of the empty room, all the way through to the office side window, the upstairs, like the lower floor is designed for a cross breeze

KXQ7w0E.png
    I could live here!
    Thanks for checking out my A-Frame Beach House.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member

First save/upload the lot to your gallery in game then go to the gallery on your web browser, not in game, find the build you want to share and then click on it and copy the link. Then paste the link into the link button in the forums. Hope this helps!

Okay I'll try, by the way sorry I take time to share it but for the moment I don't really enjoy playing the game so it's the reason why haha. Anyway, I'll share it at some point.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • JojoMOMSTERJojoMOMSTER Posts: 1,957 Member
    Does anyone know about the combination higher pitch and lower pitch roof? Does it have to do with clearing monsoon rain away fro the building without eaves? Is it to slow rain so it does not immediately fall on someone’s head? I’m wondering if it’s a real thing for a real purpose.
  • CerryddCerrydd Posts: 471 Member
    2 more builds before I'm off to enjoy the final days of my vacation :D

tumblr_pu1kowFxNf1s873l7o1_1280.jpg

Pierfect Start is *drumroll* a starter with 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom. Very bare and simple, fairly hard to build a starter when the original lot cost is $4000 :oGallery link here

tumblr_pu1l5n2nXv1s873l7o2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_pu1l5n2nXv1s873l7o3_1280.jpg

I thought the beaches could use some more entertainment, so I built one myself. It's called Ebb & Glow and I built it on the 50x50 Sapphire Shores lot. Aside from the standard beachy things, I added an extra high platform so sims can do a super high swan dive, chess table, cards table, guitar, easel, waterballoon bucket, bonfire, big grill, swing, a bar, radio and tv. It meets the requirements for a bar, so the lot type can be changed. Eh, I hope I didn't forget anything... :DGallery link here
    Oh, and while trying to come up with a name for this lot, I realized there aren't any tides. Or big waves, for that matter. Would be cool if sims could go surfing in a world inspired by Hawaï. Oh well, can't have everything :smiley:
    What have I been up to lately? Cerrydd / #cerrydd in the gallery
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    @Cerrydd lovely builds!!
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,307 Member
    Thank you @kalaksed for the table Tip, so I created this...

Gallery Name: Magical Shell Fountain
    Gallery Link: https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/29306BE19D6111E98AC5B3C1D9958589?category=all&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=luckyheather&max=50&maxis=false
    Notes: Shells are from GrumpylynnSims
    The little fish swimming around are from downsized coffee table from my first pet stuff

It looks like a gorgeous cake!

• floridameerkatfloridameerkat Posts: 1,190 Member
    Does anyone have a good sized family home that would fit in Sulani? I have a family of four looking for a vacation home, but I can't find a house I like.
    Gallery ID: floridameerkat
    Family trees:
    Young
    Pearce
    Niner
  • Mr_SlimstaMr_Slimsta Posts: 31 Member
    > @floridameerkat said:
    > Does anyone have a good sized family home that would fit in Sulani? I have a family of four looking for a vacation home, but I can't find a house I like.

Search my name on the Gallery: Mr_Slimsta

I have a couple houses that I build for Sulani, they may fit what you like or may not.
    Check out my latest build "Origami" - Build Showcase!

SmFZ6Dl.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top