Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Favorite Lighting Mod?

Hey everyone. :)

I'm looking into a lighting Mod again for my game and I know BrntWaffles has some amazing ones but...there are SO many to choose from! :confounded: How do I decide? This is where I ask for your help. :)

Which lighting Mod is your favorite and why?

Thanks. :)
52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg

Comments

• GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    edited February 2019
    This one right here is the only one I use
    http://modthesims.info/d/367164/outdoor-lighting-tweaks-v2-2.html
    I use the one that makes my nights darker.However, if you prefer not to have pitch black nights, they have other options,
    you can also select longer days, shorter nights, etc.

53111187_255306895393570_7200957832219328512_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-1.xx&oh=ba5a535a4791e008286adf722cf67498&oe=5D1A6575

52598855_253129965611263_420888129080131584_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-1.xx&oh=94bd243ad04ba44e7b90400e6abc9a75&oe=5D1A14CC
  • Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    Oh, my... I use different lighting mods in all my worlds to suit the general feeling...
    NymlADp.jpg
  • stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    You’re right that we are spoiled for choice with environmental mods! Besides improving lighting in general, they can offer different water types to suit individual worlds, add chances for auroras, larger sun/moon options or different sunrise/sunset times, so you can enjoy a wide variety of lighting options no matter which you choose. It really comes down to aesthetics/personal preference, but it can be fun to experiment!

I personally started with BrntWaffles and went from there. Of them all, I think I use various flavors of BW’s Fresh Cut Day 3.0 the most, although I do use others to enhance the vibe and harmonize with individual worlds. I usually combine one of BW’s lighting mods with other environmental mods that change the default clouds and other features, like Nilxis’ Realistic Clouds and some of Wasset’s Enchanted Environment mods for things like the the enchanted moon and stars, better snow and rainbows, etc. Some examples:

BW’s Fresh Cut Day 3.0:

scenicglen_zpsuwg8tp1t.jpg

nightsky_zpstqbu2hgk.jpg

bridgeport_zps3heqvkt7.jpg

BW’s Dream Dimension 2.5:

Frenzy_zpshvtlgkss.jpg

BW’s Dystopian Lighting:

BuildPE4laundromat1_zpsfjabhuv0.jpg

Nilxis’ Uranesian Weather also looks pretty cool.

I will occasionally use dDefinder’s Outdoor Lighting Tweaks instead (even though I prefer BW’s lighting mods, most of which also include these tweaks) paired with the cloud and other environmental mods listed above if I intend to travel to other worlds often in a save. The reason for this is mostly due to the different water options in some lighting mods which override the water in all worlds. For example, if you’re playing a world with a lighting mod that uses Bridgeport water and then travel to Isla Paradiso, it naturally looks strange with the dark water as well as the mismatch between that and the tropical water terrain paint used along the shorelines. Because I love the extra options in BW’s lighting, I will usually save as and quit just before and after traveling and swap out one of the lighting mods for another with a more suitable water type. But if you don’t want to fiddle with changes like this, dDefinder’s mod is a great way to improve the lighting, shadows and weather without altering the water.

I also found a thread you might find helpful where other simmers have shared what lighting mods they use with screenshots, as well as some good comparison pix that might help you decide where to begin:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/912853/show-me-your-lighting-mods/p1
  • cocococo Posts: 2,726 Member
    I also use Fresh Cut Day with a few other tweaks like Nilxis' Clouds and the Outdoor Lighting Tweaks mod. I guess it's my favourite because I've never felt the need to change and it fits in pretty naturally without whatever worlds I'm playing in. Sometimes the clouds can go a weird colour which can be slightly annoying.

In that link starguru posted I said exactly the same thing and that was two years ago :lol:
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    @starguru
    Do you know of any that include the darker nights from the outdoor tweaks?
    I love the other lighting mods, but like this one for the dark nights.
    @starguru
    Do you know of any that include the darker nights from the outdoor tweaks?
    I love the other lighting mods, but like this one for the dark nights.
    I’m afraid not. I know many of BW’s use dDefinder’s dynamic shadows and some also have the longer days and/or lowered bloom included, but not darker nights.
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member
    Thanks everyone. :)

I remember now why I removed the last Lighting Mod I downloaded from BrntWaffles...I didn't like that the days lasted until 9pm. (Heck I don't even like the days being that long during the "Spring Forward" part of Daylight Savings Time - HATE DST with a passion! :rage: - so why would I have that going on in my sims game? :p )

I do see that with the Fresh Day Cut the later nights came with the 3.0 Version so if I download the 2.5 version maybe the night will show up at 6 or whenever it does??

@coco @starguru
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
    emorrill wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. :)

I remember now why I removed the last Lighting Mod I downloaded from BrntWaffles...I didn't like that the days lasted until 9pm. (Heck I don't even like the days being that long during the "Spring Forward" part of Daylight Savings Time - HATE DST with a passion! :rage: - so why would I have that going on in my sims game? :p )

I do see that with the Fresh Day Cut the later nights came with the 3.0 Version so if I download the 2.5 version maybe the night will show up at 6 or whenever it does??

@coco @starguru
    Lol, I dislike DST in RL (more due to forced schedule change than anything else), but I do like having longer daylight hours in Sims.

But yeah, I would guess that if the longer days were added to FCD 3.0, then nighttime in 2.5 should be the default. If you like the mod otherwise or think you might, it's worth trying out.