Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Tubs in your Sim's Bathrooms

emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member
I was remodeling a pre-made home the other day and once again I was met with the standard, ridiculous, EA built, home bathroom...

Screenshot-20.jpg

Where you have the cheapest toilet, sink, and bathtub. Y'all know the kind. (At least this one had a nice sink. Brownie points for that).

Maybe it's the perfectionist in me, but I HATE these standard EA bathrooms! :angry: (And yes, I know they are standard to make the home cheaper for sims to buy up front). But the reason I hate them the most is... there's no shower!!! Every. Single. Time. :confounded: Seriously folks, every bathroom out there has at least a shower/tub combo. I have yet to see a home where there's only a tub, but no shower head above it, or separate shower. :confused: I mean, to me that's just silly!

(Yes, I recognize that turn of the 19th century or older sim homes would be accurate to have just a tub. ;) But 98% of all the pre-made EA homes aren't that old... )

ALL my sim bathrooms have to have a shower! (Except for half baths of course ;) ). Often times I ditch the bathtub because I'm not a bath kind of girl and only place a shower. :blush: But I'll sometimes do the shower/tub combos for families to make it more realistic.
I also can't stand how slloooooow it takes sims to bathe... :weary:

So what do you guys do with the bathtubs in your Sim's bathrooms when you are faced with the Standard EA bathroom in a pre-made home? :mrgreen:

(Sorry, there's no "Other" option this time around. :p I've found those tend to get the most votes and that never makes polls fun. Tee hee! So, please choose the closest one and then if you'd like to explain more in the comments feel free. :blush: )

52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg

The Tubs in your Sim's Bathrooms 68 votes

I don't care and leave it the way EA built it.
4%
Hejixking_of_simcity7izecson 3 votes
I replace the tub with a shower/tub combo.
63%
Lianuh1104Emily4331suzsesjaletu2005bklienhartsuetoopEarcatSimburianAnmirlaCororondreamerz13monjr8302zagboorulesJoAnne65cwaddellGabbyGirlJlisasc360starguruAnthonydyerkorset 43 votes
I find a way to add in a separate shower while also keeping the tub.
17%
SimsplyRuthParyemorrilljillbgAlexaKryKarritzSindocatTreyNutzZeeGeethuggishsplicershnailehWaterdragon 12 votes
Sims bathe too slow in tubs, so I only have showers. :-P
14%
Evalencarlystur03GraceyManorPuddinroyLissyK9MadDoctor61readypostNikkei_SimmerpuzzlezaddictChi5678 10 votes

Comments

• Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    Sometimes i go for the bath shower combo if the bathroom is really little.

I also upgrade everything else in the bathroom if funds permit.
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    edited February 2019
    I would vote, but there's no other option.So instead of voting, I'll just explain.
    I can't use bathtubs in my house as it causes this weird glitch with dogs, where my sim loses her free will if I own a dog and have a bath tub in the house.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    I would vote, but there's no other option.So instead of voting, I'll just explain.
    I can't use bathtubs in my house as it causes this weird glitch with dogs, where my sim loses her free will if I own a dog and have a bath tub in the house.

I remember you talking about that and... that's so odd. :confused:

It's gotta be some kind of CC in your game that's doing that. :confused: Because I've found that even CC that is considered safe in Custard can still cause weird glitches throughout the game.

:kissing_heart:

Edit: You could chose Option #4 as it would seem you can only use showers. :p
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    @emorrill
    Its not, its a known glitch.Lots of people have it, some don't.According to Igazor, for some reason when owning a large dog, it causes the bathtub to keep creating a route for the dog to get to the tub, in turn it slows the game down, causing sims to become idle blobs of nothing.XD

Edit: I qoute from Igazor(from a thread by another simmer with same issue)
    But there is another possible explanation that came to light since this thread started. Some players who have large dogs in the household have reported that FW stops working for them for no reason. This is a game bug going back to when Pets was released that apparently never got fixed all the way, but the solution (strange though it sounds) is to replace all of the bathtubs in the house with showers and keep a tub in the family inventory only for when the dogs need a bath. Of course, if your sims don't have large dogs, none of this applies.

and
    he issue involves any tub in which you can bathe a dog so the answer is yes it does include those if such is possible. Apparently the game keeps checking to see if there is enough space around the tubs to get the dog inside, like a thousand times a minute, even when the dog doesn't need a bath and uses up too many resources in the process. Or something like that.

I really thought this bug was solved by a patch long ago, but a few players have come to us with it resurfacing again.
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I try to keep tubs in the house, for submarine adventures and bubble baths and so try to add a shower. Particularly for the master bath where sometimes it's helpful to have both. Otherwise, if I can't fit in a shower in addition to the existing bath, I'll substitute a shower/bath combo.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I usually leave bathrooms alone if it is temporary. Years ago I used to go overboard with bathrooms and put the old hot tub in back in the TS1 days!

Also the lack of shower would not bother me as the house I grew up in the crawling was too low to put a shower in so we o lot had a bath
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    None of the options fit what I do, mainly because I don't always do the same thing. In a cheap starter house, I'll replace the bathtub with a cheap shower, which actually costs less than the cheapest bathtub. When playing sims that can afford something better, it depends on how large the bathroom is. If there's room for both a tub and a shower, I'll get both, but there also has to be enough room for a hamper if/when I get my sims a washing machine. With a small bathroom, there may only be room for a shower and a hamper, in addition to the toilet and sink, so they get only a shower. In my current game, the main floor and basement bathrooms have only a shower, no tub, while two of the three upstairs bathrooms have both tub and shower, and the third has a combo tub/shower. That's because I wasn't planning on adding on to the house, but unexpected circumstances made it necessary, so I used a blueprint bathroom and bedroom for the new household member, to save time I didn't want to spend in building.

I don't like my sims spending so much time in the bathtub when showers are so much quicker, but I do like having bathtubs when there are children, so they can do submarine adventures or play with rubber ducks in the tub. They're also good to have around for sims in stressful rabbithole careers, so they can take bubble baths when they come home in high stress and there's no better way for them to relieve stress.
  • Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    I chose this option because I prefer the shower/tub combos, but I actually don't play premade houses because I don't like them for many more reasons than the bathroom appliances. I'm another who likes to have a tub for submarine adventures and bubble baths (usually the former for the kids), but I also agree with the sentiment that baths just take too dang long.

I think I may have recently met up with the large dog/bathtub problem, but so far I'm firmly resisting changing out my combos (and it's definitely not CC because I have none except one hairstyle I've had for years).
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited February 2019
    Most of the time I replace it with a combo. Sometimes I find a way to add in a separate shower and keep the tub. I do really like having the option to let my sims take a bubble bath or to play with the rubber ducky. :smile: But I definitely need a shower too.

On a side note, when my husband and I were having our house built a few years ago, we had to make a special request for a separate soaking tub in the master bath (by default the model we wanted only had a shower stall). The builder told us that it's really not that common these days. They said that most of the homes they're building have large shower stalls or shower/tub combos.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    LunBeautyLunBeauty Posts: 2,734 Member
    I have to go with the shower/tub combo. Sometimes I might have one bathroom with a separate shower and tub. I don't like how long it takes for sims to take baths, especially in the mornings when they have work or school. It's always a quick shower for them. I might let them take bubble baths on the weekends when there isn't really much of a routine going on or if I'm staging a pose for story purposes that requires there to be a tub. I'll also let my pregnant sims enjoy a bubble bath as well as a way of relaxing them.

I hate taking baths in real life because I still feel dirty afterwards. More often than not, if I am going to take a bath, after I get out of the tub, I'm going to hop straight into the shower for an extra rinse off.
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I try to have both shower & bath separately, especially if there is only one bathroom. That way, sims in relationships can both get clean at the same time, which saves them some time on a morning, getting ready for work.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    Shower/tub combo alllll the way.

Just a shower if, and only if space, is too tight. Otherwise nah gotta have both. Never ever ever just a bath.

• Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    The house I used to live in is on Rightmove. Since we have moved the bathroom has changed with the bath repositioned so a shower can be in the highest part of the room:

10875_101438015969_IMG_10_0000_max_656x437.jpg

Boring bathroom though. When we live3d there it was the 1980s blue. When my parents first moved in there was no bathroom though, the bath was just in the kitchen. Old Skool working class life! :D
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
    I like shower/bath combos so my sims can take showers for faster mornings, but my sim kids can also still play submarine adventures. :3 I sometimes also like to have my sims take bubbles baths on less busy days.
  • Options
    MiupplayMiupplay Posts: 24 Member
    Usually I build my bathrooms in a way where I can fit both, a shower and a tub. Tub is mainly for bathing toddlers and dogs, though.
  • Options
    BrandontaylorBrandontaylor Posts: 4,773 Member

Sometimes I just switch a tub for a shower but usually I use the combo.
  • Options
    PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    I usually replace the tub with a shower/bath combo or ad an extra shower, but just because baths take so long and sometimes I need my sims to get clean quickly. If the sim is not a hurry, I will direct them to take a bubble bath instead. It makes them happy and relaxed - exactly how it makes me feel in real life! (In real life I only take a shower if I'm really, really in a hurry. Baths are like chocolate, something that never fails to make me feel good.)
  • Options
    WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    I love bath in rl, so my sims need to have a bathtub! I also always give them the rubber ducky and the bubble bath. If there´s enough room they get a separate bathtub, if not, they get a combo. Never just a tub, though.

Also, thank you @GraceyManor for bringing up that bug! I remember reading about it, but totally forgot about it. I´m playing with dogs (big ones) for the first time (my sims tend to have cats, not dogs), and some of my sims in the family seem to be very... docile at the moment, just moving if their needs force them to. I will remove all tubs in that house posthaste, and see if that helps!
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • Options
    stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    I don’t care for “bathtub only” bathrooms and will always change them, although I rarely use premade homes.

On the occasions I have used them, it’s a toss-up between your second and third options—replacing the tub with a shower/tub combo or adding in a separate shower. Which one I go with depends on the size and shape of the room, regardless of whether I’m renovating another build or building my own. I voted option two because that’s what I do in smaller bathrooms like the one in your screenshot, although that’s one I would enlarge if possible once I had the funds. I prefer bathrooms to be a bit more spacious.

I agree that Sim baths take too long sometimes, but I enjoy the submarine adventure for kids and the bubble bath/rubber ducky option, so I do like them available in case my Sims find the time—the tranquil and duck time moodlets are nice.

Another option I’ve sometimes used instead is to just put in a shower stall and have no bathtub. That works well enough for Sims, but it’s not so fun in RL. Along with other necessary renovations, the bathrooms in my home were remodeled a couple years back for accessibility (when my husband became disabled), and both bathrooms now have only showers. :confused: I really missed my own tranquil moodlet! But I got an inflatable tub to temporarily place in the roll-in shower, so my tranquility has been restored and I can bathe my toddler grandkids when they’re visiting. Now I just need that rubber ducky! :lol:
  • Options
    jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    This is actually my favorite - so Boho chic!

FebMM_shabbybath01.jpg
    NymlADp.jpg
  • Options
    KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    Miupplay wrote: »
    Usually I build my bathrooms in a way where I can fit both, a shower and a tub. Tub is mainly for bathing toddlers and dogs, though.

Wait, what?? You can bathe a toddler in a tub? Today I learned.... I've always used the baby changing table to bathe my toddlers. :o

For dogs I cheat and get the grooming station and put it somewhere the dog can get it themselves.

For my sims I will replace tubs with tub/shower combos, or even all-in-one bathrooms.

I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • Options
    KevinL5275 wrote: »

Wait, what?? You can bathe a toddler in a tub? Today I learned.... I've always used the baby changing table to bathe my toddlers. :o

I've never been able to bathe my toddlers in the tub. :confused: Which is silly because...I think you could in Sims 2. You can in REAL LIFE so it should've been an option in the game.
    Again, my desire for more realism in the game coming out. :p

@Jillbg OMGosh I LOVE that curtain above the tub like that! :love:

By the way, you referred me to a site by some guy? that has some gorgeous CC clothes that sparkle, but.......when I tried to download stuff it wouldn't let me. :cry: Said I didn't have the permission to in my country or something like that. Bummer because that site has some righteous clothing that I want! :star:
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,284 Member
    I voted for replacing the tubs with the tub/shower combo as I like for my Sims to do both at different times. I like for my sims to take a bubble bath when I need them to relax and to relieve some stress. And showers are for when I want them to get clean quicker plus for other things that I shall not mention... ;):blush:
  • Options
    lisasc360 wrote: »
    I voted for replacing the tubs with the tub/shower combo as I like for my Sims to do both at different times. I like for my sims to take a bubble bath when I need them to relax and to relieve some stress. And showers are for when I want them to get clean quicker plus for other things that I shall not mention... ;):blush:

@lisasc360 Exactly! :smiley:
  • Options
    emorrill wrote: »
    KevinL5275 wrote: »

I've never been able to bathe my toddlers in the tub. :confused: Which is silly because...I think you could in Sims 2. You can in REAL LIFE so it should've been an option in the game.
    Again, my desire for more realism in the game coming out. :p

@Jillbg OMGosh I LOVE that curtain above the tub like that! :love:

By the way, you referred me to a site by some guy? that has some gorgeous CC clothes that sparkle, but.......when I tried to download stuff it wouldn't let me. :cry: Said I didn't have the permission to in my country or something like that. Bummer because that site has some righteous clothing that I want! :star:

Which site is it?