The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA CEO: The Sims 4 has now passed $1 billion lifetime revenue

The CEO just stated this in this quarter's earnings call:

https://event.on24.com/wcc/r/1912472/EC17404244BC5CFFF01FB13246282131
qidpmcvgek8y.png

Comments

• duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    In one quarter? Wow. That's pretty cool. :)
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    duhboy2u2 wrote: »
    In one quarter? Wow. That's pretty cool. :)
    Lifetime revenue, so since TS4's release.

For comparison, the entire Sims franchise passed $2.5 billion lifetime revenue in 2010. That included TS1 (and its EPs), TS2 (and its EPs/SPs), TS3 (base game + 1EP + 8 months of store content), and many other spin-off games and console games.
    Between the three major installments of The Sims, and their numerous expansions, add-ons, and spin-offs, the publisher said its flagship franchise has brought in more than $2.5 billion in revenues, with more than 125 million copies sold to date.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-sims-turns-10-tops-125-million-units/1100-6249485/
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    LOL wow.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    I'd say that's a good return on their investment.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Good. Now they should invest that money back into Sims 4's development instead of giving us content droughts or mediocre cash grabs like MFPS 🤔
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    Cool. Maybe this will translate to consumer savings.
    Or maybe not.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Is this the only thing that's gonna make EA money now that lootboxes are getting illegalized? Haha
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    Good. Now they should invest that money back into Sims 4's development instead of giving us content droughts or mediocre cash grabs like MFPS 🤔

I couldn't agree with you more.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,442 Member
    Whoa. Wait... so the Sims 4 has just - by itself - made almost half of what the entirety of the franchise that came before it has made altogether? Am I understanding that correctly?

Holy smokes. :o
    #Team Occult
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,950 Member
    Please bring back stuff packs..... I miss them!
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,819 Member
    edited February 2019
    Our Sims franchise continues to thrive in live services – our Sims 4 community grew by 4.8 million unique players last year, our monthly active players continue to grow year-over-year, and we just crossed $1 billion in lifetime revenue for the game.

We continue to have strong expectations for The Sims going forward, and in FY20 we’re bringing at least 20 new content drops and expansion packs to our Sims games across PC, mobile and console. We plan to bring a lot of great new content to the passionate and growing player base in The Sims 4.

https://s22.q4cdn.com/894350492/files/doc_financials/2019/q3/Q3-FY19-Prepared-Remarks-FINAL.pdf
    Page 8

FY20 is the 12 month period ending March 31, 2020.
    Our Sims franchise continues to thrive in live services – our Sims 4 community grew by 4.8 million unique players last year, our monthly active players continue to grow year-over-year, and we just crossed $1 billion in lifetime revenue for the game.

We continue to have strong expectations for The Sims going forward, and in FY20 we’re bringing at least 20 new content drops and expansion packs to our Sims games across PC, mobile and console. We plan to bring a lot of great new content to the passionate and growing player base in The Sims 4.

https://s22.q4cdn.com/894350492/files/doc_financials/2019/q3/Q3-FY19-Prepared-Remarks-FINAL.pdf
    Page 8

So in the next year we're getting tons of stuff (between the three game mediums).

Nice! Anyone think we'll get three EPs by next March? It's possible. But even two would be awesome.
    #Team Occult
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    Since EA is raking in the big bucks, the Sims 4 team should have all the resources necessary to give us more and better content. Better content = more money for EA. More content = more money for EA. I can dream, right?
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited February 2019
    Good, now where are the bigger teams and all those packs? Shouldn't they get started? And how about hiring more people to check for the amount of bugs that plague this game. What is going to be the excuse, EA doesn't give them a big enough budget..well, then, I won't be taken for another billion. :D
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,819 Member
    LiELF wrote: »

Nice! Anyone think we'll get three EPs by next March? It's possible. But even two would be awesome.

My guess would be two EPs and a GP, along with some free content thrown in.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Good, now where are the bigger teams and all those packs? Shouldn't they get started? And how about hiring more people to check for the amount of bugs that plague this game. What is going to be the excuse, EA doesn't give them a big enough budget..well, then, I won't be taken for another billion. :D

They have already started. They are always working on content. And we just got a patch today for bug fixes, lol. But there are always going to be more bugs that come up, as long as they keep adding more DLC. This isn't new. If people want lots of content, we have to deal with the occasional bugs that come with it. It's annoying, yes, but that's life.
    #Team Occult
  • ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »

They have already started. They are always working on content. And we just got a patch today for bug fixes, lol. But there are always going to be more bugs that come up, as long as they keep adding more DLC. This isn't new. If people want lots of content, we have to deal with the occasional bugs that come with it. It's annoying, yes, but that's life.

Meh, plenty of bugs that are 6 months to 3 years old and quite annoying at that not fixed, this so called bug fix patch was rather miserable in the amount of fixes and the type of bugs it targeted. Luckily, where this development team fails miserably, single modders fix them quite fast, a shame to say the least.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Very nice to hear some actual numbers. I guess it's not ending anytime soon :). Good to hear that such a great game is doing so well.
    I wonder if content drops include free stuff. If not maybe that means well get 4 to 5 more packs in the next year overall. Bring it on!
    egTcBMc.png
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    Great to hear, I hope this means that their team gets more resources and a larger budget. Given that people are worried how it will go for games like Anthem and Battlefield, it's great to hear that the sims franchise is going strong.
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    edited February 2019

how do you think it got this profitable? Cut back all costs possible, piecemeal content as much as possible and you got your money cow.

Page 8

also kind of important - does the number of 4.8 million include those on Origin access?
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »

how do you think it got this profitable? Cut back all costs possible, piecemeal content as much as possible and you got your money cow.

Page 8

also kind of important - does the number of 4.8 million include those on Origin access?

The $1 billion is revenue, not profit. You can make a billion dollars and still lose money (though I suspect that this is not the case). They are not a charity. Investors have a right to expect a return on their investment.

Of course, they can't make money unless they give us stuff to buy - you would hope that positive results would give them reason to put more resources toward the Sims. We're literally begging for more content, EA - build it, and we will buy it.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »

True, that's just how EA is. But I can't imagine that being sustainable in the long run. Well, maybe as long as they have a monopoly on the life sim genre
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    Good news though I’ll keep my expectations low. They said 20 new content drops across all platforms, pc, console and mobile. They said nothing about how that number is to be distributed among the three.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited February 2019
    JoBass24us wrote: »
    Good news though I’ll keep my expectations low. They said 20 new content drops across all platforms, pc, console and mobile. They said nothing about how that number is to be distributed among the three.

They indicated eps actually and free content. I was actually hoping for some gps though.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    JoBass24us wrote: »

They indicated eps actually and free content. I was actually hoping for some gps though.

Right, but expansions are also released for console and free content is added to mobile as well? Didn’t see where they explicitly designated a content release quantity per platform.