Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gridlines?

One more silly poll for you guys. :blush:

So when you're in Build/Buy mode do you have the Indoor Gridlines present/turned ON?

Gridlines-1.jpg

Or removed/turned OFF?

Gridlines-2.jpg

For me, I can't stand those darn things :confounded: so I immediately click on that checkered box down on the lower left corner of the UI to turn them off if they aren't already. :p

Now, every once in a while if I want to make sure furniture is lined up properly with each other or with pictures on the wall then I will turn them on for a moment to see, and then click 'em right back off. Me no likey! :lol:
Is it a perfectionist thing??? They seriously drive me nuts being present!!! :confounded:

Would love to hear how many of you remove them too...or don't. ;)
52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg

Gridlines? 68 votes

Turned On
52%
Emily4331Jaline33Jessa_Dakkaryoashmodreamerz13cwaddellGabbyGirlJlisasc360Meela_PashtigazorSimoleon13becomingjennCravenLestatSindocat3KNPenTadOlsonluxsylvanthuggishsplicerjordandMoonandStars83 36 votes
Turned Off
30%
suzsesstoryyStormkeepGraceyManorParyemorrilljillbgAlexaKryLunBeauty60smusicluvrillustratahTreyNutzcocoPlumDiddyEA_MaimysterionzChi5678Lilypink79RobotBeesKynan 21 votes
I didn't know you could turn them off! :-O
16%
HejixJoAnne65February11xxnearlyperfectxtretheraTinySpaceFoxSummerRoxy[Deleted User]SimTresaPatriceemilys 11 votes

Comments

• LunBeautyLunBeauty Posts: 2,734 Member
    Turned Off
    I turn them off. I mostly use moveobjects when placing furniture as well as alt. Plus the inside gridlines annoy me just a little bit. :)
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    Turned Off
    Is it a perfectionist thing??? They seriously drive me nuts being present!!! :confounded:

Mmmaybe . . . I feel exactly the same about them.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,224 Member
    I always had them on. Didn't know they could be turned off. I would still leave them on though.
    image.png
  • GoulsquashGoulsquash Posts: 715 Member
    Turned On
    My vote is kind of both? When building walls and wallpapering, I have them on. When putting in flooring and decorating with furniture, I have them off. Though I will sometimes turn then on briefly to see if a sim will have room to route properly past something.
    My Blog - Currently updating Aurora Skies!
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2019
    I mean, I know you have an option to choose more gridlines and less, but to make them completely disappear only happens when I choose the terrain paint tool :o Am I missing an option? I’m not bothered by them btw and quite often I find them useful.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    Turned Off
    Always off, unless I need to count squares for a reproduction or something, like I did when rebuilding some Veronaville houses from TS2
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Lilypink79Lilypink79 Posts: 115 Member
    Turned Off
    They make my eyes go dizzy lol
    I've got 99 problems and TS4 glitches are 99 of them
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    Turned Off
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I mean, I know you have an option to choose more gridlines and less, but to make them completely disappear only happens when I choose the terrain paint tool :o Am I missing an option? I’m not bothered by them btw and quite often I find them useful.

You're not missing anything. You can only turn off the inside grid - or use the terrain paint tool for outside, like you already know.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    Turned On
    I'm with JoAnne, Goul and Tresa. I find them useful and I turn off to see the big picture or screenshots in buildmode.
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    Turned Off
    90% of the time I have them turned off. It's only when I'm working in a rather large space and trying to center or space things in a particular way that I turn on gridlines so I can count the tiles and check spacing. In all other cases I find all the extra lines distracting.
  • cocococo Posts: 2,726 Member
    Turned Off
    They get in the way and make the screen look too busy so I turn them off. It's kind of obvious where the grid lines are anyway. I would only have them on if I was building something precise, otherwise I wish there was a way to have them off outside as well.
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    edited January 2019
    Turned Off
    No hesitation whatsoever - off. And when I take pics from build mode, I always switch to terrain paint, so they don't show outside. It is really ugly to have pics with the grid showing, however beautiful the build... :#

@coco Use "terrain paint" and hide the circle! :) No more grids... And there is a mod that does the trick, too.
    NymlADp.jpg
    Turned Off
    @jillbg Ooh thanks for the tip! :smiley:
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    Turned Off
    @coco You're welcome! :) I can't find the mod, though. It was something concerning hiding the grids when you added several floors...
    NymlADp.jpg
    Turned Off
    @jillbg That's ok, I will have a look for it some other time. Thanks for the help :smile:
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    Turned On
    I use them a lot to help with alignment. Even using MOO and alt to place objects around not necessarily on the lines (which I do a lot) but it helps ensure things are spaced properly.

IDK see the perfectionist in me needs them on because I need my stuff placed certain ways.

• emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,119 Member
    Turned Off
    @suzses Thanks for answering that for @JoAnne65 :) Sorry I wasn't more clear on that...
    But yeah if we could get rid of them on the outside while building & decorating that would be great too! :blush:

@jillbg I never even thought of using the terrain paints to get rid of the grids for pictures until @CravenLestat suggested it to me and then I was like: :open_mouth:
    WHY didn't I figure that out sooner!? :lol:
    dreamerz13 wrote: »

IDK see the perfectionist in me needs them on because I need my stuff placed certain ways.

@dreamerz13 Ohhhh that makes sense.
    I guess there's different kinds of perfectionists. :p
    Cause yeah as said above all the grids make it look too "busy" and that bothers me... And my eyes. ;)

I love polls! :smiley: They are just too much fun! And I enjoy getting an inside look on how other simmers play. :)

Carry on.
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    Turned On
    The grid lines are useful in build/buy. Although I don't usually take pictures in build/buy mode, when I do they are off.
    edited January 2019
    Turned Off
    8am Mountain Standard Time and currently Turned Off and Turned On are tied! :mrgreen:

Which one will be the ultimate winner??

:p

• RobotBeesRobotBees Posts: 145 Member
    Turned Off
    Absolutely hate grid lines I want to see and enjoy my expensive hardwood floors!
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    Turned On
    For those who turn them off in build/buy mode I'm wondering how much time you spend in that mode. I'm usually in live mode.
    Turned Off
    cwaddell wrote: »
    For those who turn them off in build/buy mode I'm wondering how much time you spend in that mode. I'm usually in live mode.

I'm usually in LIVE mode too.
    I like to play the game instead of create ;) but I go through phases.
  • HejixHejix Posts: 1,056 Member
    edited January 2019
    Haha! Better now than never. Thanks! I love those forums!

Grids ruined so many building screenshots!
    I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...
  • AlexaKryAlexaKry Posts: 2,706 Member
    Turned Off
    Most of the time I turn them off, because they hinder me to see how the end result will turn out in the room.
    But sometimes I have them on, especially, when I use MOO, because then I have to have a measure to regard if the Sims can route around the thing I´ll place or if they will get stuck and shout at me. (I don´t want to be shouted at by my Sims, I can´t shout back! :D )
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    edited January 2019
    Turned On
    I'm just "you-know-what-retentive". Every piece of furniture has to be in the RIGHT space. If not, I'll spend about an hour trying to line things up. Gridlines help me, at least, when I'm building because I can make certain walls a certain size.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~