Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Two people can't play on same account at same time now?

Heyo. My grand-niece plays occasionally on her laptop using my account & today she decided to play while I was online. This hasn't been a problem in the past; one of us plays online the other plays offline. However, when she chose the "offline" option after entering id & password she got the "Well that didn't go as expected" message & couldn't do anything. When we reversed it (her online me trying to play offline) I got the same. Was just wondering if anyone who shares their account with family/friend also had a problem with playing at the same time today.

Comments

• AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    I don’t think you could ever do that. On Steam you can’t play on the same account at the same time either.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• RebbilinaRebbilina Posts: 377 Member
    I’m not sure you’re allowed to share an account, I would honestly be a bit careful with writing about it on the official forum
  • ClassicalSimClassicalSim Posts: 1,535 Member
    I haven't done it for a few weeks, but occasionally I will have The Sims 4 playing on two different computers at the same time. Sometimes I'll be building on one computer while trying to raise a sim's skills on another computer. As long as I play with one offline, it's never been a problem.

I know I've read somewhere, maybe at EA.com, that it was okay to do, at least for people in the same household. I wonder if something has changed. I'll test it and see if I can still do it.
  • RebbilinaRebbilina Posts: 377 Member
    I haven't done it for a few weeks, but occasionally I will have The Sims 4 playing on two different computers at the same time. Sometimes I'll be building on one computer while trying to raise a sim's skills on another computer. As long as I play with one offline, it's never been a problem.

I know I've read somewhere, maybe at EA.com, that it was okay to do, at least for people in the same household. I wonder if something has changed. I'll test it and see if I can still do it.

Yeah, but I assumed that they weren’t in the same household, since it’s OPs grand niece. My bad if they are.
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    edited November 2018
    It worked fine for me and my daughter last night. She was on my desktop playing with Get Famous and I was on my laptop playing Get Famous. We was both offline, at the time, though.

Usually I am online on my desktop or laptop while she plays offline on her desktop, but she hasn't downloaded Get Famous yet, so she was playing on my desktop.

I will test this Sunday when she's home, cause me and her share my account now and I'll be upset if we both have to be offline for it to work now.

ETA: You are not suppose to share accounts with outside family members, but computers in your same household, yes, you can share accounts. Me and my daughter has done it since after City Living when I quit spending double for her a copy and me a copy when she spends most of her time in CAS with CC.

She still feels she needs all the content, so she just shares my account. The only reason she had her own account is cause she bought her the bases game with birthday money and wanted to get online at the same time as me.

Yes, you can share accounts with household family members and yes you can (or could, have to test) have one person online while the other is offline. We have 4 desktops and 3 laptops in this house. Sims 4 from my account is installed on 3 desktops and 1 laptop. Me, my husband, and my daughter have all played at the same time on our own computers. My son now uses my daughters old account since he doesn't care to have all content, only what interests him.
    p8L4V6v.png
    Rebbilina wrote: »

Yeah, but I assumed that they weren’t in the same household, since it’s OPs grand niece. My bad if they are.

I thought too they probably weren't in the same household, but I would assume it would still work unless something has changed.
    @Starfree I just tested it and I was able to play on two computers at the same time. I turned the internet off on one computer before I logged in so maybe that makes a difference, or maybe it was just a temporary glitch for you.
  • irishluck1986irishluck1986 Posts: 309 Member
    I never knew you could do this.
  • StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,445 Member
    Thanks for all the responses :smile: . @ClassicalSim, thanks for testing; I'll have to see what happens tomorrow. My great-niece (sorry for mixup) doesn't live here, as some guessed correctly, but she is here for at least a few hours most days. Could be her laptop (my old one, which stays here) too; will have to check a few things. Eh, if it comes down to it I can always reinstall Origin. Thanks again for all the replies!
  • StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,445 Member
    I never knew you could do this.

@irishluck1986, you can. Only one person can be online though (ie: use gallery & other online features) the other person has to play offline & won't be able to access the gallery or other online features.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2018
    Starfree wrote: »
    Heyo. My grand-niece plays occasionally on her laptop using my account & today she decided to play while I was online. This hasn't been a problem in the past; one of us plays online the other plays offline. However, when she chose the "offline" option after entering id & password she got the "Well that didn't go as expected" message & couldn't do anything. When we reversed it (her online me trying to play offline) I got the same. Was just wondering if anyone who shares their account with family/friend also had a problem with playing at the same time today.

It's been like that for my family since Sims 4 came out - so you are lucky you could do that at all. They made my granddaughters get their own game and account on top of it when they reached 16. They could not even use their moms account at all even when she wasn't using it after their birthdays. So you are really lucky you had been able to do that at all. The girls were always fighting over who could play before they got their own games and accounts.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    I don’t think you could ever do that. On Steam you can’t play on the same account at the same time either.
    Just an FYI, you can with Steam too. Just have to put one of them in offline mode (which in Steam is super simple..just use the menu and select "offline mode" or select "offline" from the system tray icon if you have it setup to show there.

Origin has a similiar feature, just select "Go Offline" from the menu. No need to actually disable/turn off internet.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods