Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims Four Live Mode is Lacking

Comments

  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,533 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    jooxis wrote: »
    @CK213 "Blurry" is not the same thing as "smooth" or "lacking detail"...

    @JoAnne65 Yep, pretty much :)

    Uh, when you blur something, basically making it out of focus, you lose detail and it looks smooth.
    The end result comes across as blurry looking. The evidence is in the game, not in talk.
    When I say I use TS4 textures when I want a smooth look, it means something with a subtle texture.

    Take a nicely detailed wood panel into Photoshop and add a blur filter to it until the wood grain details are lost and you will get something that looks like this TS4 wood panel-hence, blurry.
    07-24-18_10-15-58nbspAM.png

    I have 3 carpet textures here:
    Right: TS2 converted texture
    Middle TS4 base game carpet
    Left: TS4 Dinning out carpet.

    The TS2 texture is nice and sharp. The Base Game TS4 texture is truly lacking detail and doesn't even come across as carpet to me.
    I like the Dinning out texture and it shows an effort to bring more detail to textures.
    07-24-18_10-21-34nbspAM.png

    Be looking closer, things do look a little blurred with no sense of actual fibers.
    07-24-18_10-22-00nbspAM.png

    The TS2 texture is more detailed.
    07-24-18_10-22-06nbspAM.png

    The grey chair is a CC chair I added to the game because it has a better sense of fabric textures than the orange furniture that has the barest suggestion of being fabric.
    07-24-18_10-21-15nbspAM.png

    07-24-18_10-15-52nbspAM.png

    Yup, Sims 2, a much older game, has better graphics than Sims 4.

    It's not the graphics though, it's the art. The rug specifically is an example of a more photorealistic texture vs stylized art. Some people prefer a "realistic" look and try to judge the graphics based on realism so if that's your preference, then you are probably always going to gravitate towards photorealism no matter how new or old the actual graphics are. The Sims 4 is a completely different art style all its own. Objects, background, CAS, etc are all created in the same style to blend together. This is why it tends to look awkward when photorealistic CC textures are put into the game. It's like sticking a real picture of a person into a cartoon. You can tell when it doesn't match.

    But I too, hated the textures in Sims 3. They didn't even always match each other, especially when seeing the Sims themselves against some of those ultra realistic, unmatching backgrounds. The Sims 3 art style was certainly not its strongest quality, lol. It's obvious the focus went elsewhere. The Sims 2 was a bit more uniform and somewhat in-between, but now, of course, as a whole, looks outdated.

    I've personally come to favor the Sims 4's art style and I think the overall aesthetic is where it really shines. I feel like less CC is actually needed in Sims 4, and CAS is a huge upgrade.

    I wish I could say the same for the live gameplay. It seems that, from the game's inception, there have been a fair share of strange programming decisions, or lack thereof, that have resulted in the general gameplay just not making sense. The missing individuality of each Sim, lack of any presence of fear, the repetitive impulses, object obsessions, generic whims, and default state of happiness are just some of the things that make playing for any length of time very frustrating. The game actually feels like it was created by people who never play it themselves and just don't "get it". And that's a little depressing.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    LiELF wrote: »

    The game actually feels like it was created by people who never play it themselves and just don't "get it".

    Whenever I try to play TS4, I come away from the experience with the same sensation and it is depressing to see how far such an excellent franchise has fallen. It's also frustrating because, by watching the live streams, it's obvious that the gurus know the pitfalls and gaping holes in the game play. However, their normal response is to steer the camera somewhere else and to avoid the issue altogether.

    The issues with the game are known. It's been known and discussed for so long. However, up to now, there has been precious little done about it that didn't come from the modding community.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    (we’re completely derailing, hope it’s not a problem; this all has got nothing to do with gameplay)

    I strongly disagree Sims 3’s graphics are ‘trash’. Calling it that annoys me to no end because it’s utterly over the top. On highest settings the game looks totally fine (understatement, I love taking screenshots in the game because I so often love what I see) and the lighting often is stunning as well. I understand the difference between art style and graphics, but I also understand the confusion because what’s the point in great graphics when they did such a sloppy job on some aspects like what CK213 is pointing out and the ugly legs I showed compared to the detailed legs in Sims 3? Or a ball pit with the most laughable balls in it in the history of gaming. What do I care about graphics when that’s the result?

    That being said, this is not the subject of this topic. Gameplay is. I don’t understand anyone quiting a game because of graphics anyway but that’s me.

    I completely agree about the gameplay. I'm not defending the Sims 4 in that regard. It will never live up to Sims 1 and 2 for me.

    I'll just have to agree to disagree with everyone here about Sims 3 graphics. Of course I would quit a game that's terrible to look at. Why play a game with virtual people when I can't make them look nice? The lighting is probably the worst I've seen in a modern game (again, my job is literally making art for video games) but whatever.

    So anyway, the gameplay in Sims 4 is lacking and most here agree.
  • Options
    poplopfloppoplopflop Posts: 6 New Member
    I personally hate the graphics in Sims 3. The environments are pretty, but the sims themselves(even with cc) are pretty ugly. Sims 2 gameplay is on another level compared to both 3 and 4. I would love a Sims 2: Remastered.
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    LiELF wrote: »

    It's not the graphics though, it's the art. The rug specifically is an example of a more photorealistic texture vs stylized art. Some people prefer a "realistic" look and try to judge the graphics based on realism so if that's your preference, then you are probably always going to gravitate towards photorealism no matter how new or old the actual graphics are. The Sims 4 is a completely different art style all its own. Objects, background, CAS, etc are all created in the same style to blend together. This is why it tends to look awkward when photorealistic CC textures are put into the game. It's like sticking a real picture of a person into a cartoon. You can tell when it doesn't match.

    I think Sims 4 graphics are what they are because of the limitations of the engine it's built on. Everything about that game is limited. So things are colorful and don't have much of a range from darks to lights so it comes out cartoonish and bright no matter what art style is applied to it. Whereas with Sims 2 and 3, even if the art style was different would still have contrasts and just look better.
    LiELF wrote: »

    But I too, hated the textures in Sims 3. They didn't even always match each other, especially when seeing the Sims themselves against some of those ultra realistic, unmatching backgrounds. The Sims 3 art style was certainly not its strongest quality, lol. It's obvious the focus went elsewhere. The Sims 2 was a bit more uniform and somewhat in-between, but now, of course, as a whole, looks outdated.

    I'm not sure what you mean by unmatching backgrounds? In Sims 3 you can change the color, patterns and texture of just about everything, so not sure what you're talking about. What you prefer in art style is subjective so just saying the art style of Sims 3 is not its strongest quality isn't fact. I think it's art style is great considering how large and complex the worlds can get and the computer has to render all these things. I'm glad that the focus in Sims 3 however is on game play though, which is far more important. Something that Sims 4 still severely lacks 4 years in.

    I also like Sims 2 graphics and art style with it's lovely textures (although I honestly prefer Sims 3 graphics and art style) and how it is rendered. It may only look outdated because of it's art style but lets say that they changed it to look more like Sims 4 art style. Given that it has better textures, I think it would look better than Sims 4 itself.
    LiELF wrote: »

    I've personally come to favor the Sims 4's art style and I think the overall aesthetic is where it really shines. I feel like less CC is actually needed in Sims 4, and CAS is a huge upgrade.

    I'm glad that you like those things, but honestly for me, they're not enough to want me to buy this game. I don't want to pay $40 - $60 for game (plus other packs) just to look at it.
    LiELF wrote: »

    I wish I could say the same for the live gameplay. It seems that, from the game's inception, there have been a fair share of strange programming decisions, or lack thereof, that have resulted in the general gameplay just not making sense. The missing individuality of each Sim, lack of any presence of fear, the repetitive impulses, object obsessions, generic whims, and default state of happiness are just some of the things that make playing for any length of time very frustrating. The game actually feels like it was created by people who never play it themselves and just don't "get it". And that's a little depressing.

    You know what's upsetting about all this? Some of those developers came from Sims 3! I don't place much blame on them, the developers, but on the big wigs up on top in EA. They are the ones "who never play it themselves and just don't "get it". They just want the money generated from it and I think they are the ones killing this game. The reason why there aren't more features in Sims 4 that it should is because they cut down so much on resources. Less animators to give the sims more depth, less programmers to add game play, less creators to make the meshes and objects.
  • Options
    Charlotta11Charlotta11 Posts: 399 Member
    edited July 2018
    agree that graphicts in sims 3 are bad
    i love sims 4 live mod when i play whit big family, but i have to say that if i play only whit one sim its get boring. i would need more challenge, fears, allergies, danger and exiting turning point that i cant easily avoid (but whit out that it need something supernatural etc)
    For me sims 4 sims feel alive, but the world around of them isn't. Game automaticly generate townies (yep, there is mod for that) and if u play whit aging on u got townies who don't have job, relatives, nothing. they just are there.
    apartment were nice since maybe u get rats, cockroach, noisy neighbors. And almost every time i play only just one sim i go to san myshuno, there is more things going on, town look semi alive but don't feel alive at all. I love day to day life of sims 4 and how detailed is it in my opinion but it will need more dramatic life situation that i don't have to always create and is harder to avoid. I don't want that everything is always fine and happy
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • Options
    Laura_JonesLaura_Jones Posts: 485 Member
    poplopflop wrote: »
    I would love a Sims 2: Remastered.
    Man, me too, but seeing as how it's near impossible to even buy the ultimate edition, I think they're trying to keep people as far away from it as possible.

  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,533 Member
    LiELF wrote: »

    It's not the graphics though, it's the art. The rug specifically is an example of a more photorealistic texture vs stylized art. Some people prefer a "realistic" look and try to judge the graphics based on realism so if that's your preference, then you are probably always going to gravitate towards photorealism no matter how new or old the actual graphics are. The Sims 4 is a completely different art style all its own. Objects, background, CAS, etc are all created in the same style to blend together. This is why it tends to look awkward when photorealistic CC textures are put into the game. It's like sticking a real picture of a person into a cartoon. You can tell when it doesn't match.

    I think Sims 4 graphics are what they are because of the limitations of the engine it's built on. Everything about that game is limited. So things are colorful and don't have much of a range from darks to lights so it comes out cartoonish and bright no matter what art style is applied to it. Whereas with Sims 2 and 3, even if the art style was different would still have contrasts and just look better.
    LiELF wrote: »

    But I too, hated the textures in Sims 3. They didn't even always match each other, especially when seeing the Sims themselves against some of those ultra realistic, unmatching backgrounds. The Sims 3 art style was certainly not its strongest quality, lol. It's obvious the focus went elsewhere. The Sims 2 was a bit more uniform and somewhat in-between, but now, of course, as a whole, looks outdated.

    I'm not sure what you mean by unmatching backgrounds? In Sims 3 you can change the color, patterns and texture of just about everything, so not sure what you're talking about. What you prefer in art style is subjective so just saying the art style of Sims 3 is not its strongest quality isn't fact. I think it's art style is great considering how large and complex the worlds can get and the computer has to render all these things. I'm glad that the focus in Sims 3 however is on game play though, which is far more important. Something that Sims 4 still severely lacks 4 years in.

    I also like Sims 2 graphics and art style with it's lovely textures (although I honestly prefer Sims 3 graphics and art style) and how it is rendered. It may only look outdated because of it's art style but lets say that they changed it to look more like Sims 4 art style. Given that it has better textures, I think it would look better than Sims 4 itself.
    LiELF wrote: »

    I've personally come to favor the Sims 4's art style and I think the overall aesthetic is where it really shines. I feel like less CC is actually needed in Sims 4, and CAS is a huge upgrade.

    I'm glad that you like those things, but honestly for me, they're not enough to want me to buy this game. I don't want to pay $40 - $60 for game (plus other packs) just to look at it.
    LiELF wrote: »

    I wish I could say the same for the live gameplay. It seems that, from the game's inception, there have been a fair share of strange programming decisions, or lack thereof, that have resulted in the general gameplay just not making sense. The missing individuality of each Sim, lack of any presence of fear, the repetitive impulses, object obsessions, generic whims, and default state of happiness are just some of the things that make playing for any length of time very frustrating. The game actually feels like it was created by people who never play it themselves and just don't "get it". And that's a little depressing.

    You know what's upsetting about all this? Some of those developers came from Sims 3! I don't place much blame on them, the developers, but on the big wigs up on top in EA. They are the ones "who never play it themselves and just don't "get it". They just want the money generated from it and I think they are the ones killing this game. The reason why there aren't more features in Sims 4 that it should is because they cut down so much on resources. Less animators to give the sims more depth, less programmers to add game play, less creators to make the meshes and objects.

    It's hard to describe, but what I mean by mismatched backrounds is, for example, whenever I look at a screenshot of Sims at the beach, the sand textures look really weird behind the Sims, as if the grains are the wrong size in comparison to the ocean and especially in comparison to the Sims themselves. And the Sims always look like they're kind of pasted onto this background that they don't belong in. I also think that the variety of textures in the game are part of what throws things off. I've seen many a screenshot where they really just don't look consistent and I personally wasn't into the CaST feature.

    I'm not sure why you felt the need to tell me that my opinion isn't fact? Of course it isn't. Neither is yours. That's what most of these threads are about: opinion, perspective, and personal experience. I don't think that a comparison statement of opinion that disfavors Sims 3 should make you feel defensive enough to try to invalidate my perspective, though. Criticizing any of the games for the sake of pointing out personal preferences and showing what's favorable in a constructive way and how it pertains to what we want now or in the future is how feedback works. Our experiences and perspectives are just different, that's all.

    It really would be interesting to see an updated Sims 2. Or better yet, a complete Sims 2 remake. But if they were going to go for that, I'd still like to have the map-jumping ability, CAS, build features and Vampires (and toddlers I guess too) from Sims 4. Add the gallery and art style too, plus the pack themes from Sims 3 and that would probably be very nearly my perfect Sims game.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,552 Member
    edited July 2018
    Don't get me wrong here. TS4 does have a nice graphics engine.
    It's the art style that is going for stylized and performance friendly with low detailed meshes and textures.
    I have issues with it, but I can live with it.

    I do find myself amazed how good it looks despite low detailed meshes and textures.
    07-22-18_4-57-09nbspPM.png

    Even more so when I put in custom textures and objects. It made me sit up and say: This is not a tablet game.
    I just want to see fibers and grain in textures, and curves and bevels on objects, as well as toning down the cartoon level, so that's how I am customizing it and I am happy with it.
    04-15-17_2-41-13nbspPM.png

    09-11-16_3-57-26nbspPM.png

    08-27-16_9-13-01nbspPM_1.png

    It's the game play that I want to see improved.
    Not much feels like it really matters. You can have social situations in the game that just evaporate and they might as well have never happened at all. I want so see traits matter more, social awareness and social dynamics (especially compatible and incompatible trait dynamics), choices with short and long term consequences, risk and reward, unexpected events, set backs, more trait and circumstance driven whims. I want to see sims so angry that they refuse to speak to the other sim for a certain period of time.

    Basically more simulation, less doll house.
    What keeping me playing is story telling. I have done that with TS2 and TS3, but I am leaning on it heavily in TS4, because nothing interesting happens on it's own. I have to make it up or force it.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2018
    jooxis wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    (we’re completely derailing, hope it’s not a problem; this all has got nothing to do with gameplay)

    I strongly disagree Sims 3’s graphics are ‘trash’. Calling it that annoys me to no end because it’s utterly over the top. On highest settings the game looks totally fine (understatement, I love taking screenshots in the game because I so often love what I see) and the lighting often is stunning as well. I understand the difference between art style and graphics, but I also understand the confusion because what’s the point in great graphics when they did such a sloppy job on some aspects like what CK213 is pointing out and the ugly legs I showed compared to the detailed legs in Sims 3? Or a ball pit with the most laughable balls in it in the history of gaming. What do I care about graphics when that’s the result?

    That being said, this is not the subject of this topic. Gameplay is. I don’t understand anyone quiting a game because of graphics anyway but that’s me.

    I completely agree about the gameplay. I'm not defending the Sims 4 in that regard. It will never live up to Sims 1 and 2 for me.

    I'll just have to agree to disagree with everyone here about Sims 3 graphics. Of course I would quit a game that's terrible to look at. Why play a game with virtual people when I can't make them look nice? The lighting is probably the worst I've seen in a modern game (again, my job is literally making art for video games) but whatever.

    So anyway, the gameplay in Sims 4 is lacking and most here agree.
    I’m not even sure if we’re disagreeing about the graphics. I played Sims 3 on medium the first years (and had missed the option to smoothen the edges or what’s it called in English ;)) and that looked pretty bad. I didn’t mind back then - I also didn’t know any better I must add - but I couldn’t go back to that (play everything on highest now) so yes, looks do matter to me. The way however people keep insisting “The Sims 3 art style was certainly not its strongest quality, lol” comes across condescending to me (quoting LiELF there, not you). Because ‘lol’ I happen to really like that art style and prefer it to Sims 4’s (though I do manage to embrace and appreciate the cartoony look when playing fortunately). Besides, Sims 2’s and Sims 3’s art style are completely similar. If anything some textures in Sims 2 are even more realistic than in Sims 3. Yet the sims are not and it wasn’t a problem in that game then? The Sims 3 slating comes in inimitable ways sometimes, from my perspective obviously. I’ve never seen any strange discrepancy in the game myself anyway (nor in Sims 2). Preferring one art style doesn’t necessarily make another art style poor just because you happen to prefer it. I’d love the Sims 3 art style to return in a next iteration, with better graphics. And as for the sims, one of the reasons I can’t get into Sims 4 completely except for the game play (though really happy with how my vampire turned out, but I’m feeling so miserable about the males in the game :disappointed: ) is in fact the sims. If only people could get their head around the fact personal preference isn’t a status quo but just that, a preference. I’ve posted this comparison before and I’m convinced everyone will pick a different sim as their favourite.

    mrOUPkb.png

    But you’ll have to believe me that for me it’s most definitely the middle one ;) And he matches perfectly with his ‘ultra realistic’ (they aren’t ultra realistic at all) surroundings.

    As for gameplay, I think preferences play a part there too and I’m still trying to pinpoint why exactly it isn’t working for me in Sims 4. I still think for most people it really comes down to lacking personalities. Those were superior in Sims 2. I’d love it if they could find a way to tone down the emotion system and level up the personalities.

    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    It's very repetitive, Sims are all the same, and the REAL live mode (autonomy all the way) is absolutely horrible.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,533 Member
    edited July 2018
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    jooxis wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    (we’re completely derailing, hope it’s not a problem; this all has got nothing to do with gameplay)

    I strongly disagree Sims 3’s graphics are ‘trash’. Calling it that annoys me to no end because it’s utterly over the top. On highest settings the game looks totally fine (understatement, I love taking screenshots in the game because I so often love what I see) and the lighting often is stunning as well. I understand the difference between art style and graphics, but I also understand the confusion because what’s the point in great graphics when they did such a sloppy job on some aspects like what CK213 is pointing out and the ugly legs I showed compared to the detailed legs in Sims 3? Or a ball pit with the most laughable balls in it in the history of gaming. What do I care about graphics when that’s the result?

    That being said, this is not the subject of this topic. Gameplay is. I don’t understand anyone quiting a game because of graphics anyway but that’s me.

    I completely agree about the gameplay. I'm not defending the Sims 4 in that regard. It will never live up to Sims 1 and 2 for me.

    I'll just have to agree to disagree with everyone here about Sims 3 graphics. Of course I would quit a game that's terrible to look at. Why play a game with virtual people when I can't make them look nice? The lighting is probably the worst I've seen in a modern game (again, my job is literally making art for video games) but whatever.

    So anyway, the gameplay in Sims 4 is lacking and most here agree.
    I’m not even sure if we’re disagreeing about the graphics. I played Sims 3 on medium the first years (and had missed the option to smoothen the edges or what’s it called in English ;)) and that looked pretty bad. I didn’t mind back then - I also didn’t know any better I must add - but I couldn’t go back to that (play everything on highest now) so yes, looks do matter to me. The way however people keep insisting “The Sims 3 art style was certainly not its strongest quality, lol” comes across condescending to me (quoting LiELF there, not you). Because ‘lol’ I happen to really like that art style and prefer it to Sims 4’s (though I do manage to embrace and appreciate the cartoony look when playing fortunately). Besides, Sims 2’s and Sims 3’s art style are completely similar. If anything some textures in Sims 2 are even more realistic than in Sims 3. Yet the sims are not and it wasn’t a problem in that game then? The Sims 3 slating comes in inimitable ways sometimes, from my perspective obviously. I’ve never seen any strange discrepancy in the game myself anyway (nor in Sims 2). Preferring one art style doesn’t necessarily make another art style poor just because you happen to prefer it. I’d love the Sims 3 art style to return in a next iteration, with better graphics. And as for the sims, one of the reasons I can’t get into Sims 4 completely except for the game play (though really happy with how my vampire turned out, but I’m feeling so miserable about the males in the game :disappointed: ) is in fact the sims. If only people could get their head around the fact personal preference isn’t a status quo but just that, a preference. I’ve posted this comparison before and I’m convinced everyone will pick a different sim as their favourite.

    mrOUPkb.png

    But you’ll have to believe me that for me it’s most definitely the middle one ;) And he matches perfectly with his ‘ultra realistic’ (they aren’t ultra realistic at all) surroundings.

    As for gameplay, I think preferences play a part there too and I’m still trying to pinpoint why exactly it isn’t working for me in Sims 4. I still think for most people it really comes down to lacking personalities. Those were superior in Sims 2. I’d love it if they could find a way to tone down the emotion system and level up the personalities.

    @JoAnne65 Just popping in real quick to clarify something. My intention was not to be condescending, it was more of a playful reference to a common perspective. It would have been in the same manner as if I had said, "Sims 4's base game wasn't exactly up to par with its predecessors, lol." It's a common thing that people have remarked on, and even though I don't necessarily agree, it's still understood as an opinion shared by many. Maybe I should have included this; :p
    Post edited by LiELF on
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    SimChessackSimChessack Posts: 182 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Sims are all the same, and the REAL live mode (autonomy all the way) is absolutely horrible.

    Man I cannot even picture what it would be like if you just let Sims be autonomous all the time. They're so stupid they'd probably all be dead in a week.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    jooxis wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    (we’re completely derailing, hope it’s not a problem; this all has got nothing to do with gameplay)

    I strongly disagree Sims 3’s graphics are ‘trash’. Calling it that annoys me to no end because it’s utterly over the top. On highest settings the game looks totally fine (understatement, I love taking screenshots in the game because I so often love what I see) and the lighting often is stunning as well. I understand the difference between art style and graphics, but I also understand the confusion because what’s the point in great graphics when they did such a sloppy job on some aspects like what CK213 is pointing out and the ugly legs I showed compared to the detailed legs in Sims 3? Or a ball pit with the most laughable balls in it in the history of gaming. What do I care about graphics when that’s the result?

    That being said, this is not the subject of this topic. Gameplay is. I don’t understand anyone quiting a game because of graphics anyway but that’s me.

    I completely agree about the gameplay. I'm not defending the Sims 4 in that regard. It will never live up to Sims 1 and 2 for me.

    I'll just have to agree to disagree with everyone here about Sims 3 graphics. Of course I would quit a game that's terrible to look at. Why play a game with virtual people when I can't make them look nice? The lighting is probably the worst I've seen in a modern game (again, my job is literally making art for video games) but whatever.

    So anyway, the gameplay in Sims 4 is lacking and most here agree.
    I’m not even sure if we’re disagreeing about the graphics. I played Sims 3 on medium the first years (and had missed the option to smoothen the edges or what’s it called in English ;)) and that looked pretty bad. I didn’t mind back then - I also didn’t know any better I must add - but I couldn’t go back to that (play everything on highest now) so yes, looks do matter to me. The way however people keep insisting “The Sims 3 art style was certainly not its strongest quality, lol” comes across condescending to me (quoting LiELF there, not you). Because ‘lol’ I happen to really like that art style and prefer it to Sims 4’s (though I do manage to embrace and appreciate the cartoony look when playing fortunately). Besides, Sims 2’s and Sims 3’s art style are completely similar. If anything some textures in Sims 2 are even more realistic than in Sims 3. Yet the sims are not and it wasn’t a problem in that game then? The Sims 3 slating comes in inimitable ways sometimes, from my perspective obviously. I’ve never seen any strange discrepancy in the game myself anyway (nor in Sims 2). Preferring one art style doesn’t necessarily make another art style poor just because you happen to prefer it. I’d love the Sims 3 art style to return in a next iteration, with better graphics. And as for the sims, one of the reasons I can’t get into Sims 4 completely except for the game play (though really happy with how my vampire turned out, but I’m feeling so miserable about the males in the game :disappointed: ) is in fact the sims. If only people could get their head around the fact personal preference isn’t a status quo but just that, a preference. I’ve posted this comparison before and I’m convinced everyone will pick a different sim as their favourite.

    mrOUPkb.png

    But you’ll have to believe me that for me it’s most definitely the middle one ;) And he matches perfectly with his ‘ultra realistic’ (they aren’t ultra realistic at all) surroundings.

    As for gameplay, I think preferences play a part there too and I’m still trying to pinpoint why exactly it isn’t working for me in Sims 4. I still think for most people it really comes down to lacking personalities. Those were superior in Sims 2. I’d love it if they could find a way to tone down the emotion system and level up the personalities.

    @JoAnne65 Just popping in real quick to clarify something. My intention was not to be condescending, it was more of a playful reference to a common perspective. It would have been in the same manner as if I had said, "Sims 4's base game wasn't exactly up to par with its predecessors, lol." It's a common thing that people have remarked on, and even though I don't necessarily agree, it's still understood as an opinion shared by many. Maybe I should have included this; :p
    I guess the reason it came across condescending to me, is because it’s indeed not the first time I see it presented in such a definite tone (so the feeling was rather in general than specifically directed at you). That doesn’t make it true though ;) What definitely is not true by the way (preferences and opinions aside), is the statement Sims 3 is ultra realistic. It’s just really not. The sims can be with certain CC, but in fact they look totally out of place to me in the game then because their environment is still stylized.

    To bring it back to the subject by the way: I’ve noticed that when I enjoy a game, I will also find a way to embrace its art style and graphics.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Charlotta11Charlotta11 Posts: 399 Member
    well i like sims 4 family game play really much but i kinda feel that its fun as long as they keep creating new content.
    Its not that long time ago when they release seasons, i waited that for so LONG and now i want something else, like university or something like that. Its really fun to play and it keep me hooked and i feel like i got so much to do. But then its just over and im waiting to get something new.
    idk maybe it's just because after they release seasons this game start having a lot of bugs or maybe because i played this game too much for past couple of days.
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,533 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    jooxis wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    (we’re completely derailing, hope it’s not a problem; this all has got nothing to do with gameplay)

    I strongly disagree Sims 3’s graphics are ‘trash’. Calling it that annoys me to no end because it’s utterly over the top. On highest settings the game looks totally fine (understatement, I love taking screenshots in the game because I so often love what I see) and the lighting often is stunning as well. I understand the difference between art style and graphics, but I also understand the confusion because what’s the point in great graphics when they did such a sloppy job on some aspects like what CK213 is pointing out and the ugly legs I showed compared to the detailed legs in Sims 3? Or a ball pit with the most laughable balls in it in the history of gaming. What do I care about graphics when that’s the result?

    That being said, this is not the subject of this topic. Gameplay is. I don’t understand anyone quiting a game because of graphics anyway but that’s me.

    I completely agree about the gameplay. I'm not defending the Sims 4 in that regard. It will never live up to Sims 1 and 2 for me.

    I'll just have to agree to disagree with everyone here about Sims 3 graphics. Of course I would quit a game that's terrible to look at. Why play a game with virtual people when I can't make them look nice? The lighting is probably the worst I've seen in a modern game (again, my job is literally making art for video games) but whatever.

    So anyway, the gameplay in Sims 4 is lacking and most here agree.
    I’m not even sure if we’re disagreeing about the graphics. I played Sims 3 on medium the first years (and had missed the option to smoothen the edges or what’s it called in English ;)) and that looked pretty bad. I didn’t mind back then - I also didn’t know any better I must add - but I couldn’t go back to that (play everything on highest now) so yes, looks do matter to me. The way however people keep insisting “The Sims 3 art style was certainly not its strongest quality, lol” comes across condescending to me (quoting LiELF there, not you). Because ‘lol’ I happen to really like that art style and prefer it to Sims 4’s (though I do manage to embrace and appreciate the cartoony look when playing fortunately). Besides, Sims 2’s and Sims 3’s art style are completely similar. If anything some textures in Sims 2 are even more realistic than in Sims 3. Yet the sims are not and it wasn’t a problem in that game then? The Sims 3 slating comes in inimitable ways sometimes, from my perspective obviously. I’ve never seen any strange discrepancy in the game myself anyway (nor in Sims 2). Preferring one art style doesn’t necessarily make another art style poor just because you happen to prefer it. I’d love the Sims 3 art style to return in a next iteration, with better graphics. And as for the sims, one of the reasons I can’t get into Sims 4 completely except for the game play (though really happy with how my vampire turned out, but I’m feeling so miserable about the males in the game :disappointed: ) is in fact the sims. If only people could get their head around the fact personal preference isn’t a status quo but just that, a preference. I’ve posted this comparison before and I’m convinced everyone will pick a different sim as their favourite.

    mrOUPkb.png

    But you’ll have to believe me that for me it’s most definitely the middle one ;) And he matches perfectly with his ‘ultra realistic’ (they aren’t ultra realistic at all) surroundings.

    As for gameplay, I think preferences play a part there too and I’m still trying to pinpoint why exactly it isn’t working for me in Sims 4. I still think for most people it really comes down to lacking personalities. Those were superior in Sims 2. I’d love it if they could find a way to tone down the emotion system and level up the personalities.

    @JoAnne65 Just popping in real quick to clarify something. My intention was not to be condescending, it was more of a playful reference to a common perspective. It would have been in the same manner as if I had said, "Sims 4's base game wasn't exactly up to par with its predecessors, lol." It's a common thing that people have remarked on, and even though I don't necessarily agree, it's still understood as an opinion shared by many. Maybe I should have included this; :p
    I guess the reason it came across condescending to me, is because it’s indeed not the first time I see it presented in such a definite tone (so the feeling was rather in general than specifically directed at you). That doesn’t make it true though ;) What definitely is not true by the way (preferences and opinions aside), is the statement Sims 3 is ultra realistic. It’s just really not. The sims can be with certain CC, but in fact they look totally out of place to me in the game then because their environment is still stylized.

    To bring it back to the subject by the way: I’ve noticed that when I enjoy a game, I will also find a way to embrace its art style and graphics.

    Except that it actually does make it true for some people. It may not be true for you, but it's certainly true for me.

    See, this is the problem that I'm seeing way too frequently whenever someone wants to give their personal feedback, which they are absolutely entitled to, and someone else has issues with seeing one of their favorite games criticized. Instead of the thread moving on to share and respect a variety of opinions, we have people jumping on other posters' comments, picking out something that isn't even the topic of the thread, to defend and make some kind of counterpoint and refute these opinions as "not fact" or "not true" in an attempt to invalidate the other person's perspective because their experience is completely different.

    Please stop trying to tell me what is true and what isn't. We are all stating opinions. Yours is not any more valid than mine. That is a fact. I think it's awesome that you love Sims 3. I really wanted to love it. Just look at all of the content that came out for it, the game was filled with the kind of DLC that I love. But the very design of the game failed me in several ways, so yes, sometimes I am going to use it as an example when stating what I like/dislike about Sims 4 in order to clarify with comparisons. I am not trying to jump in and say, "Sims 3 is plum, lol". That's not at all what I am trying to do. But I do want to be able to have my opinion without someone getting so offended that they feel the need to "prove me wrong" when there actually is no right or wrong opinion. No amount of screenshots are going to change my personal experiences or opinions about Sims 3. I see what I see and I just think it's an ugly game. There's really no room for argument there. Obviously, I'm not alone in that opinion, from what I see of other people's posts, but that certainly doesn't (nor should it) change your own personal perspective or experiences with it. I completely respect that you love the game and that you enjoy the art style. And many people agree with you, that's great too. There's just no need for this back and forth of derailing the thread over it because it will never go anywhere.

    Since the "ultra realistic" comment seemed to hit a nerve, I'll try to clarify what I mean and then, hopefully, I'm done here. :p

    I feel that the environments of Sims 3 were, for their time an attempt at being as realistic as possible, by using photorealistic art. This, in turn, clashed with what I feel is a strange, unmatching art style of the Sims themselves. I have seen videos, I have seen many screenshots, and every time I see a beach scene, I recoil because it all looks very glaringly mismatched to me, to the point of distraction. Now, I'll be fair and say that this may not be true of every environment, and the Sims 3 did have two separate teams in different locations so this might have contributed to inconsistency in the game's development. I don't really know, and it honestly doesn't matter. Sims 3 is in the past, it will never be my game, and it will continue on for those who love it. The end. :)

    I will just finalize by saying that criticism will not always be directed at just one game. Every Sims game has its issues. Sometimes people use their experiences with past games as examples for comparisons to clarify their point. These opinions should not be taken personally, nor should they be cause to derail a topic (like we're doing now, haha). If someone challenges me, I will most certainly defend myself because I do try to be fair in my perspective, and I expect the same in return. However, I also know that when I post in haste, my directness can come off sometimes as a little brash, so I will clarify if I can/wish to. But ultimately, people need to be allowed to have their opinions.

    Anyway... how 'bout that Sims 4 live mode?

    #Team Occult
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2018
    Sorry, I’m not going to read it all because 1. it’s not the subject and 2. this is ultra realism:

    book-of-the-dead-unity-realistic-graphics3.jpg

    If only I had that in a Sims game. Any Sims game. One thing’s for sure, it’s not in my Sims 3 game. Both Sims 2 and 3 try to be more realistic than Sims 4, that’s for sure (Sims 2 ‘wins’ that battle in some areas even and if anything, sims in 3 look the most realistic texture wise), but the fact everything in Sims 4 looks like rubber doesn’t make Sims 2 and 3 ultra realistic.

    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited July 2018
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

    I completely agree about the gameplay. I'm not defending the Sims 4 in that regard. It will never live up to Sims 1 and 2 for me.

    I'll just have to agree to disagree with everyone here about Sims 3 graphics. Of course I would quit a game that's terrible to look at. Why play a game with virtual people when I can't make them look nice? The lighting is probably the worst I've seen in a modern game (again, my job is literally making art for video games) but whatever.

    So anyway, the gameplay in Sims 4 is lacking and most here agree.
    I’m not even sure if we’re disagreeing about the graphics. I played Sims 3 on medium the first years (and had missed the option to smoothen the edges or what’s it called in English ;)) and that looked pretty bad. I didn’t mind back then - I also didn’t know any better I must add - but I couldn’t go back to that (play everything on highest now) so yes, looks do matter to me. The way however people keep insisting “The Sims 3 art style was certainly not its strongest quality, lol” comes across condescending to me (quoting LiELF there, not you). Because ‘lol’ I happen to really like that art style and prefer it to Sims 4’s (though I do manage to embrace and appreciate the cartoony look when playing fortunately). Besides, Sims 2’s and Sims 3’s art style are completely similar. If anything some textures in Sims 2 are even more realistic than in Sims 3. Yet the sims are not and it wasn’t a problem in that game then? The Sims 3 slating comes in inimitable ways sometimes, from my perspective obviously. I’ve never seen any strange discrepancy in the game myself anyway (nor in Sims 2). Preferring one art style doesn’t necessarily make another art style poor just because you happen to prefer it. I’d love the Sims 3 art style to return in a next iteration, with better graphics. And as for the sims, one of the reasons I can’t get into Sims 4 completely except for the game play (though really happy with how my vampire turned out, but I’m feeling so miserable about the males in the game :disappointed: ) is in fact the sims. If only people could get their head around the fact personal preference isn’t a status quo but just that, a preference. I’ve posted this comparison before and I’m convinced everyone will pick a different sim as their favourite.

    mrOUPkb.png

    But you’ll have to believe me that for me it’s most definitely the middle one ;) And he matches perfectly with his ‘ultra realistic’ (they aren’t ultra realistic at all) surroundings.

    As for gameplay, I think preferences play a part there too and I’m still trying to pinpoint why exactly it isn’t working for me in Sims 4. I still think for most people it really comes down to lacking personalities. Those were superior in Sims 2. I’d love it if they could find a way to tone down the emotion system and level up the personalities.

    [/quote]

    JoAnne, my preference is the middle Sim as well. I can't put my finger on it, but TS3 Sims appear to have more depth than the others. It's easier to make attractive Sims in TS4, however, they still seem so...flat...to me.

    Also, I still believe that, concerning game play, TS2 is still the best of the bunch. However, the Sims themselves are plain 🐸🐸🐸🐸. Even when TS2 was brand new, I had a really hard time dealing with the six heads, the huge, huge mouths, and the sledge hammer chins. I tried to play TS2 a while back. I took one look at one of the male Sims passing by and I turned the game right off. Thank goodness that there are now custom presets to help offset the issue.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    I think the sims 3 worlds are amazing compared to 4. how they look, the size of them. freedom to build and create.

    at least its not endless backdrops and illusions.

    the sims 4 worlds look nice but so much of it isn't real and you can't make changes to it off the lots. and those illusions and sound effects :#




    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon


  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Me, that's not the look of the game that bother me. It's the fact that sims are so shallow.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    edited July 2018
    marcel21 wrote: »
    I think the sims 3 worlds are amazing compared to 4. how they look, the size of them. freedom to build and create.

    at least its not endless backdrops and illusions.

    the sims 4 worlds look nice but so much of it isn't real and you can't make changes to it off the lots. and those illusions and sound effects :#



    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    jooxis wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    (we’re completely derailing, hope it’s not a problem; this all has got nothing to do with gameplay)

    I strongly disagree Sims 3’s graphics are ‘trash’. Calling it that annoys me to no end because it’s utterly over the top. On highest settings the game looks totally fine (understatement, I love taking screenshots in the game because I so often love what I see) and the lighting often is stunning as well. I understand the difference between art style and graphics, but I also understand the confusion because what’s the point in great graphics when they did such a sloppy job on some aspects like what CK213 is pointing out and the ugly legs I showed compared to the detailed legs in Sims 3? Or a ball pit with the most laughable balls in it in the history of gaming. What do I care about graphics when that’s the result?

    That being said, this is not the subject of this topic. Gameplay is. I don’t understand anyone quiting a game because of graphics anyway but that’s me.

    I completely agree about the gameplay. I'm not defending the Sims 4 in that regard. It will never live up to Sims 1 and 2 for me.

    I'll just have to agree to disagree with everyone here about Sims 3 graphics. Of course I would quit a game that's terrible to look at. Why play a game with virtual people when I can't make them look nice? The lighting is probably the worst I've seen in a modern game (again, my job is literally making art for video games) but whatever.

    So anyway, the gameplay in Sims 4 is lacking and most here agree.
    I’m not even sure if we’re disagreeing about the graphics. I played Sims 3 on medium the first years (and had missed the option to smoothen the edges or what’s it called in English ;)) and that looked pretty bad. I didn’t mind back then - I also didn’t know any better I must add - but I couldn’t go back to that (play everything on highest now) so yes, looks do matter to me. The way however people keep insisting “The Sims 3 art style was certainly not its strongest quality, lol” comes across condescending to me (quoting LiELF there, not you). Because ‘lol’ I happen to really like that art style and prefer it to Sims 4’s (though I do manage to embrace and appreciate the cartoony look when playing fortunately). Besides, Sims 2’s and Sims 3’s art style are completely similar. If anything some textures in Sims 2 are even more realistic than in Sims 3. Yet the sims are not and it wasn’t a problem in that game then? The Sims 3 slating comes in inimitable ways sometimes, from my perspective obviously. I’ve never seen any strange discrepancy in the game myself anyway (nor in Sims 2). Preferring one art style doesn’t necessarily make another art style poor just because you happen to prefer it. I’d love the Sims 3 art style to return in a next iteration, with better graphics. And as for the sims, one of the reasons I can’t get into Sims 4 completely except for the game play (though really happy with how my vampire turned out, but I’m feeling so miserable about the males in the game :disappointed: ) is in fact the sims. If only people could get their head around the fact personal preference isn’t a status quo but just that, a preference. I’ve posted this comparison before and I’m convinced everyone will pick a different sim as their favourite.

    mrOUPkb.png

    But you’ll have to believe me that for me it’s most definitely the middle one ;) And he matches perfectly with his ‘ultra realistic’ (they aren’t ultra realistic at all) surroundings.

    As for gameplay, I think preferences play a part there too and I’m still trying to pinpoint why exactly it isn’t working for me in Sims 4. I still think for most people it really comes down to lacking personalities. Those were superior in Sims 2. I’d love it if they could find a way to tone down the emotion system and level up the personalities.

    that ts3 sim is dowright gorgeous.
    I think the problem with ts4 sims is the textures. The ts4 sim 3d model is fantastically detailed in the face, however the changes made to it are kinda difficult to see because of the bland textures. moreoever, ts4 default eyes have specular added to them which is what makes them all have that glazed look.

    here's one of my characters vanilla, with cc, with cc+reshade

    tumblr_pck5ed0CCr1qijewwo1_1280.png


    As you can see, it's still very maxis match--it just has better textures. I agree with OP that a slight texture on items would go a long way. I really like the way Peacemaker does his textures.

  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2018
    @DreamaDove Thanks, I’ll pass the compliment :blush: (he’s an old man now)
    Can you please link me what CC you used because that’s exactly what I’m looking for! Is he in the gallery by the way? He’d make a perfect vampire.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Sims are all the same, and the REAL live mode (autonomy all the way) is absolutely horrible.

    Man I cannot even picture what it would be like if you just let Sims be autonomous all the time. They're so stupid they'd probably all be dead in a week.

    Mine typically don't die (they will feed themselves), they're just completely dumb (but the toddler for sure would be taken away).

    Seriously, the AI is pathetic. In a household of 8, I end up with Sims with a red social bar, and what do they do? ... chat on the computer or go talk to a plant. Dude, you have 7 LIVING PEOPLE WITH YOU. Oh, and the cat just ran away because everyone is ignoring him too.

    But no, left to their own they'll just play video games or make drinks all day. Even if it's an outdoorsy Sim, but we know that people who love the outdoors love spending all day on the computer, right? (/sarcasm off)

    You'd think they'd at least get whims to call a friend or invite a friend over when they're lonely, but nope too. Heck my unflirty Sim kept wanting to flirt with her wife too (what?). And apparently they want to make snowmen all Winter too (do you even have kids, people?) and they need 100000 dog toys.

    And god forbid they give the toddler some leftovers from the fridge when she's starving, no, let's give her a bottle instead... that should fill her up for a good hour. Oh, and let's stand in the cold with my light clothes on so they can freeze to death too (instead of going inside).


    Ugh. That pretty much sums up all my pet peeves about the game's ridiculous AI and whim system. Such a wasted opportunity.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Sims in Sims 1 and 2 wouldn’t need a week to die and I disagree that necessarily is the problem. Keeping sims alive is part of the gameplay and it would become boring if they 100% took care of that themselves all the time. For me necessary smartness lies in other areas. Like the way they respond to others, their memories and townies doing interesting things instead of just standing there or talk.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Charlotta11Charlotta11 Posts: 399 Member
    i hope they would add more personality to sims. I love how i can make sims look so nice and unique but then they all act kinda the same. More traits and if they would add fears like in sims 2.
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top