Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Help With Coffee Beans

Hi I saw this old thread here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/667705/what-are-coffee-beans-for#latest and tried w/the barista, but I don't see any options to use any coffee beans in this machine or in any of the coffee machines. The only option I've ever seen is to eat the beans raw. How do you use them in the machines? There is no option to add them or even use them from the sim's inventory.

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited July 2018
    In order to make beverages out of the beans (and herbs), you need to use the Uni EP barista station rather than a regular coffee maker. But it can't be on a commercial lot that is supposed to be staffed by a barista, you have to add the station to your home lot. The different options for brewing are then on the barista station coffee maker, not on the beans.

Or, since that doesn't fit in well in many cases and most of us don't really want pastry displays in our own kitchens, this mod allows the regular coffee makers to make the beverages also.
    http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523680

The beans also make decent crops for gardening, for sims whose skills are high enough. Some of them are very profitable as harvestables.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Sonshine77Sonshine77 Posts: 197 Member
    Thanks Igazor, but I DO have the barista station on my home lot and there is still no option to use the beans in anything. My only options are "drink half-caf caramel soy frothiccino ...." and "serve hot beverages." Under "try something else," there is "cinnamon lite....," lite chai....," "strawberry lite latte...," "soy chai....," "lite chai," and "strawberry frothiccino...." That's it. When I clicked on "serve hot beverages, there is nothing else. They just serve normal beverages that are hot. It does not use any of the ingreds in her inventory at all. There are a couple of other menus, but none have any options to use the coffee beans or herbs.
    edited July 2018
    I'm using the "Elitissimo At-Home Barista." Is there any other Barista station that I'm missing?
    edited July 2018
    Sonshine77 wrote: »
    I'm using the "Elitissimo At-Home Barista." Is there any other Barista station that I'm missing?
    That's a regular coffee maker regardless of the name it was given. What is required, unless you have the mod I linked to, is the entire barista counter complete with commercial coffee maker and pastry display all attached as you would see it in a Uni coffee barista shop.

It's a huge piece of furniture, not a small appliance, and probably shows up under Surfaces in Build/Buy (sorry, not in-game at the moment) either under Counters or Misc (or both). Although I think it should show up somewhere under Kitchen when looking by room as well. It might help you see it if you filter Build/Buy to the Uni EP.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Thanks again Igazor! I did finally find it and it's not really that big or at least the coffee maker part is not that big. It's only 2 tiles wide and has another tile deep to stand behind it to make the drinks. The one I found is called the "Quick Croissants Coffee Bar" and has all of the options to make all of the herb teas and energy drinks as well as buy the snacks. I found it under function/misc surfaces I will go ahead and get the mod though, so that I can get the same menus on the small coffee machines.
    edited July 2018
    No, it's not that large for a counter but I meant it's not an object you can hold in your hands like a standalone coffee maker is.

Love that mod. As much as I would enjoy having a never-ending supply of cheese danish in my (not overly large) apartment in real life, it just never seemed very realistic in the game and the surface object just doesn't fit in everywhere, even if turned back to front. ;)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited July 2018
    LOL I think we'd ALL love to have an endless supply of "goodies" regardless of what they are, but I don't think we'd like the consequences of that, lol. It (the barista) would fit into my sim's home (I kind of went overboard on expanding the house, lol), but still....
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    @Sonshine77 This is the Barista Bar that @igazor is talking about.

RC_RTN_002.jpg
    Yes, I know. I also have a mod to enable the Barista Bar options on the regular coffee makers. I did learn that the herbs in the coffee or other hot drinks don't do anything at all. The herbs DO work though when sprinkled on top of food or eaten raw although, when eaten raw there is a chance of getting herb nausea.
    edited August 2018
    Herbs brewed into tea (not coffee) using the UL Barista station or the mod should provide the same benefits as eating them raw or in food, only more subtly and perhaps for not as long.

Herb nausea is caused by low to medium quality herbs such as one finds in a grocery store. Growing your own higher quality herbs if any of your sims have the gardening skill or being lucky enough to find them for sale on the Al Fresco produce carts if you have that set will not do this or not nearly as often, am pretty sure that Perfect quality herbs never will. There is also an LTR that combats herb nausea, I believe it's the one called Simmunity. And one can also eat Sweet Grass (or drink Sweet Grass tea) to get rid of the nausea as well as buzz crashes, but then one still doesn't have the benefit that the original herb was supposed to produce so a third helping of herbs is required to try again. Weight gain can happen if the sim becomes Stuffed while working through all of this. :)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited August 2018
    igazor wrote: »
    In order to make beverages out of the beans (and herbs), you need to use the Uni EP barista station rather than a regular coffee maker. But it can't be on a commercial lot that is supposed to be staffed by a barista, you have to add the station to your home lot. The different options for brewing are then on the barista station coffee maker, not on the beans.

Or, since that doesn't fit in well in many cases and most of us don't really want pastry displays in our own kitchens, this mod allows the regular coffee makers to make the beverages also.
    http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523680

The beans also make decent crops for gardening, for sims whose skills are high enough. Some of them are very profitable as harvestables.
    Thanks for that! As much as I love that uni counter, I think it’s not really suitable for a normal kitchen with its display of cakes and pies.
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited August 2018
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Thanks for that! As much as I love that uni counter, I think it’s not really suitable for a normal kitchen with its display of cakes and pies.
    I used to just turn it the wrong way around on residential lots so that the pastry display was not visible. The coffee barista machine was still usable that way. But that was before icarus released his mod, I was able to regain all of that space back again and go back to using regular looking coffee machines since then. And sometimes, well quite often really, I still want to be able to serve regular coffee so with the mod the same device can do either. :)

While on the subject, I also have to highly recommend Sandy's CC coffee makers from Around The Sims. Some of them look like what we here in the US would call "regular" drip coffee machines. There has never been nor likely will there ever be a single serving coffee pod device (Keurig) in my kitchen. I make coffee by the pot thanks, high quality weak dishwater coffee like we Americans are supposed to drink in large mugs. Her drip machines fit in very nicely and come with animations that look like the carafe is filling up as the pot brews. My sims don't care of course, it all tastes the same to them, and they can get single cups or use the mod on her devices just like the EA ones. ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!