Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Seasons: Snow Depth and Accumulation?

Comments

• pupunikpupunik Posts: 62 Member
    edited May 2018
    I'm hopeful of good news!
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    I'm cool with less accumulation. It gives more game play. My opinion is who cares if it's a small mound of snow it's performance I'm more worried about.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    simmer_jay wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    I said this in another thread but I'll just throw in my perspective here too.

Judging from some of the hints and the common use of the word "climate" by the devs, I think that there is a possibility that we're jumping the gun a little and still have yet to see how seasons actually work in Sims 4, and I think there will be a new twist to them. Climate is different and deeper than simple seasonal change. If each map has its own climate, then the seasons won't look the same in each one. For example, if Oasis Springs generally functions as a desert, it probably won't snow there at all, but in their "winter" season, it might rain a little. Willow Creek, which we saw in the trailer, gets at least a light snow in winter. But the devs have mentioned that blizzards are a thing, which can be assumed we haven't seen yet. It's very possible that if a blizzard hits, we'll see much more snow accumulation. And it's also possible that blizzards will be more likely in seasonally versatile areas like Brindleton Bay or Windenburg (for example) and the snow could look much different than in Willow Creek.

I just think that there's still a possibility that the devs haven't "shown their hand", so to speak, with the Seasons pack. Remember, they are always looking to do old things in new ways. This would be something never done before.

I will add that if the "flat" snow is indeed all we have, I agree it's disappointing, but I'm not going to stay with that conclusion just yet.

Now THIS is some logical thinking. Absolutely agree. But as others have mentioned, I sincerely hope they haven't limited blizzards and such to EP worlds like Brindleton Bay. I would assume those who purchase Seasons with just the base game can experience all forms of weather.

So let's think about this: how many base game worlds are there?
    WC
    OS
    MP

is there another? I can't remember. So what I think, along the lines of @LiELF 's post, is that each base game world will have it's own climate. WC will likely have all four seasons with extreme hot/cold weathers like northern countries, and OS will likely have a warmer climate, and I'm not sure about MP.

But I am definitely excited to hear more. And I absolutely hope that there is some sort of snow accumulation.

Base game maps are Oasis Springs, Willow Creek, and Newcrest. MP is from Get To Work.

I was wondering myself if Willow Creek will only get light snow because it was originally inspired by New Orleans, which doesn't really get cold winters. But I don't see them repeating the warm climate of Oasis Springs and we already know that it snows in WC because of the trailer. So that leaves Newcrest. Maybe Newcrest gets full on blizzards.

Oh! Newcrest! I forgot about that one.. and yes MP came with GTW. My bad. I've been focusing on my S3 legacy lately so I haven't launched S4 in a little while.

But I still think our logic makes sense. I'm super eager to see what they mean by highlighting the term "climate".
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @CK213 wrote: »
    alexandrea wrote: »
    It hasn't been confirmed yet, though. If EA confirms it, then I'll get get a little bummed, but until then... I'm hopeful that that's not the case. :)

I agree with that.
    It could be that they made announcement trailer with the build before the final build.
    But these low performance graphics are getting to me where the detail in meshes are concerned.
    Sometimes I feel like I am playing a game for high performance tablets. Everything is so blocky.
    They are doing a great job making it look good, just don't look at things too closely.

That’s because you basically are. EA has to make sure these games work on Laptops with intergrated graphics which is basically on par with Tablets, as they make up up the majority of the fan base.

While technologically is improving, more Simmers are moving from desktops to laptops and Windows tablets.

Not to mention, the PS4 and Xbox One aren’t as powerful as they seem. They’re weaker than an entry level Steam machine.

The Sims 4 is one big creative solution to make the game look new and modern while actually catering to weaker hardware than before.
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Erpe wrote: »
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    I believe EA/Maxis is trying to work within the boundaries of thier engine and no matter how much some want the weather to be as precise as it was with Sims 2 and 3, it may not be possible. We are so many packs in and this is nothing new for every pack has it's limitation. I am waiting for further info. I am not as excited as I was when I first heard it was coming out.
    I just have to disagree with this way of thinking because it can’t be true. EA/Maxis made this game engine and they knew what it should be able to do even before they made it.

They also knew very well that all experienced simmers wanted improvements on the previous games instead of simplifications. But simplifications were what they planned anyway. This just proves to me that they wanted a new and different game for the new generation of young simmers and didn’t care about their old customers for the previous games.

I won’t go into the discussion about TS4 Seasons because I don’t play the game anymore and therefore won’t buy it. Seasons May have other things that Seasons didn’t have in the previous games. So it may still be a good EP for those who love TS4. But it isn’t an EP that can make me reconsider my choice of not playing TS4 anymore because I don’t like simplifications at all. I need a more advanced game instead and alas I don’t think that EA ever will attempt to make it.

You can disagree, but for me the reason I say that is because if this engine was flexible they could have done more than what they did in this version or as someone had said they don't want to ruffle those with low end machines. Yes, they wanted a new different game but it may been influenced by what created for an failed product and all said is just an theory and only EA/Maxis can really make it clear why this game cannot execute features that was in older versions. To date I have only seen games outside of Sims 4 use old features and also incorporate new features. It would be embarrassing to compare snow fall from an older version such as Sims 2 or 3 to snowfall in Sims 4 Imho. Now some might overlook this case as it is done with other areas from previous packs because they are happy with it and some are not. For me Sims 4 is not technically complex and there I stand by my opinion EA/Maxis may be operating with the boundaries of it engine or just do not want to go outside of the box. I want an advanced game as well and Sims 4 plan is already laid out and I do not see this game going beyond its potential. Another problem is the fact players have experienced features from Sims 2 and 3 and it is hard for some to let it go but EA/Maxis is having an hard time closing Pandora's Box and I can't blame them looking at the technology that is afforded now. Some companies are now leaving the low end users behind and demanding mid to high level specs and I am happy for it.
    Other games usually don’t lose features when the next version of the game is released because those games mainly are meant to be sold to the same fans who played the previous game too. So the game companies know that they will lose too many customers if they omit popular features which the fans loved in the previous game.

But it is all about money. Making a big PC game now costs about the same amount of money as making a new top movie. But the movie is seen by many more millions of people and also sold on DVDs. A game like this one is only sold in about 6 million copies even though the US has a population of 325 million and Europe has a population of 741 million people (out of a world population of more than 7.5 billion people). So for EA to use more millions of dollars than necessary on developing this game wouldn’t pay off. More detailed snow costs a lot of money and work to make and like other simplifications and omissions EA did this because the game mainly is targeted at new simmers and if they came from the Sims Freeplay then they wouldn’t miss depth in the snow anyway. (The exact costs to make a big PC game differs a lot but according to some sources they are now about $80 million in average.)

EA has just focused on making new things for TS4 instead of using the money and resources to repeat old features from the previous games. We can love or hate this as we want. But I don’t think that we can do much to change it. The snow is just another example of features that were simplified for those reasons.
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    @LiELF
    That's a good idea, I thought the Winter Windenburg sort of ruled out heavy snow in other worlds but if it's indeed something they want to sell as a big feature later on, SimGuruGeorge would obviously show a picture that don't spoil the surprise. The climate in the different worlds could have extreme weather associated (Oasis Spring get heatwaves, Willow Creek heavy thunderstorm, and perhaps some other world get blizzards).

If that's indeed what they have in store, they may not want to show it all in the first trailer, and of course wouldn't say anything but we can't talk about it now. We didn't see blizzard after all, and we know they are in so we haven't see everything there is to see about the weather. We'll find out soon anyway, with EA Play, trailers, and even the release not that far !
  • AspenSimsAspenSims Posts: 603 Member
    Neia wrote: »
    @LiELF
    That's a good idea, I thought the Winter Windenburg sort of ruled out heavy snow in other worlds but if it's indeed something they want to sell as a big feature later on, SimGuruGeorge would obviously show a picture that don't spoil the surprise. The climate in the different worlds could have extreme weather associated (Oasis Spring get heatwaves, Willow Creek heavy thunderstorm, and perhaps some other world get blizzards).

If that's indeed what they have in store, they may not want to show it all in the first trailer, and of course wouldn't say anything but we can't talk about it now. We didn't see blizzard after all, and we know they are in so we haven't see everything there is to see about the weather. We'll find out soon anyway, with EA Play, trailers, and even the release not that far !

EA help already said it's a performance issue but the gurus won't talk about it.
    AspenSims wrote: »
    @LiELF

EA help already said it's a performance issue but the gurus won't talk about it.

EA help also said it would be out on the 18th of September, which is wrong.
  • celipoesiascelipoesias Posts: 433 Member
    edited May 2018
    It would be quite scary if I had to buy a specific expansion pack to enjoy the deep snow. Basically they would be conditioning the purchase of the expansions to other specific packs, and I do not see it in a natural and much less healthy way.

And about what another person said in a comment, I do not see any problem in complaining, shouting, making scandal if I am really very dissatisfied with certain thing. I do not have to be grateful for what the producers are doing, it's their job, they make a product, and I've spent my money on that franchise for years, when it does not reach my minimum degree of expectation, I will fight.

I fought for the ball pit, did you fight?
    Post edited by celipoesias on
    tenor.gif
  • rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    Please let's not argue about 'who's right, or who's wrong' in this thread.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Calling out others is not what this thread is all about.

We're only discussing the (from what it seems) lack of snow depth and accumulation in this topic.

If people do not want to read negative opinions/comments about this particular topic because it's killing their excitement about this Pack, please refrain from commenting and just move on.

Thank you.
  • SimmerNickYTSimmerNickYT Posts: 703 Member
    edited May 2018
    Maybe @LiELF 's explanation is right. Maybe we have only seen light snow for now. I could understand that in WC there would only be really light snow, because it's New Orleans inspired.

Regarding the picture in WB, maybe it's light snow again. In the picture the sky is blue and there are a few snowflakes falling. Maybe this is just very light snow we're seeing in WB.
    DeAFsKNU8AAd0VZ.jpg
    It makes sense that WB and BB would have heavier snow, but they don't want to address it yet because they're not basegame worlds. They may also want it to be a surprise, allthough I don't see the fun in that. And blizzards are included, but maybe just not in the basegame worlds.

However I'm still kind of sceptical. In the trailer you can see all of the snow being completely flat. There is not even a tiny bit of snow build-up.

Edit: Another thing. It would be unfair for players to only have blizzards in non-basegame worlds. What if you don't own those packs. Maybe Newcrest is the place for this though.
    Not so obsessed anymore with building in TS4!
    YouTube: https://goo.gl/PK7vxR | The Gallery: https://goo.gl/a5DZAK
    Twitter: https://goo.gl/QzQVUK | Origin-ID: SimmerNickYT
    hPtVNfA.png
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited May 2018
    Indeed, @LiELF might be right. Though in that case they’ve left the idea of making snow angels and building snow men only possible in deep snow.

(also, let’s keep this about the snow, not about simmers)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    I doubt they are hiding deep snow. Why would sims be able to make snow angels and snow men on flat snow then? Why would there be awkward lumps of snow to shovel on perfectly flat snow.

Look at all the stuff this game still doesn't have. Simple stuff that is problematic to add. We have waited nearly 4 years to get swings. I don't think they'll make amazing snow and hide it and then not want to talk about it.

At very least they could've responded with no the snow isn't flat.

Who knows, they say there are blizzards.
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    I doubt they are hiding deep snow. Why would sims be able to make snow angels and snow men on flat snow then? Why would there be awkward lumps of snow to shovel on perfectly flat snow.

Look at all the stuff this game still doesn't have. Simple stuff that is problematic to add. We have waited nearly 4 years to get swings. I don't think they'll make amazing snow and hide it and then not want to talk about it.

Perhaps because they don't want to make this only available in some worlds, and deep snow won't be in all worlds ?
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited May 2018

Perhaps because they don't want to make this only available in some worlds, and deep snow won't be in all worlds ?
    That would make sense though, only being able to make snow men and snow angels in areas where the snow is deep enough. And since you can easily travel between the different worlds in Sims 4 I can’t imagine that would be an issue. Anyway, time will tell ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited May 2018
    I don't know if I'm crazy but it does appear to me that, although the snow may not have a whole lot of depth, that it does accumulate or at least change dynamically in these pictures? I tried to take a couple of screenshots of different frames of the video. And unless I'm crazy I feel that you can see a dynamic buildup of frost/snow on the plants, the trunk of the tree on the right getting smaller, there's stuff around the upper middle windows that looks different to me, and also the snow changing from being kinda see-through in places to a full white cover. Although, yes, some plants should imho disappear entirely & there's definitely places that could use thicker snow.

Still, despite it not really having the depth many of you want, I feel that the seasons will at least change somewhat dynamically over time? I hope so anyway.
    JftDRIe.png
    Z5Yd4XN.png
    d2YHLg8.png
    62VTeYv.png
    FH20Mt6.png
    wutDldA.png
    obunyEN.png
    CnedXEU.png
  • Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    Low snow accumulation but we get allot of gameplay objects, seasons, weather, a Botany career, more holidays and the ability to make our own, tbh I'm okay with that, at least this time I can't lose stuff in the snow lol
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    I was thinking it will get deeper depending on the weather. Like some days it will be light snow, and if it snows, then it will get deeper.
    giphy.gif

Prink34320 wrote: »
    Low snow accumulation but we get allot of gameplay objects, seasons, weather, a Botany career, more holidays and the ability to make our own, tbh I'm okay with that, at least this time I can't lose stuff in the snow lol

Not being rude at all but what are the many objects everyone keeps talking about?

Ice skating rink
    Rollerblading rink
    Splash pool
    Sprinkler
    Swing
    Scarecrow
    Tree to decorate
    Weather machine.

These are all the objects they've shown with new gameplay. Is that a lot for sims 4?.

I wonder if we'll still have that stupid timer. Oh no! Better end your new year party, only 10 minutes left. XD
    That's honestly my most hated feature.

In which will it be then? It'll have to be in new crest or the other bg world or they'll have a lot of angry people.
  • loutredorloutredor Posts: 404 Member
    edited May 2018
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    I don't know if I'm crazy but it does appear to me that, although the snow may not have a whole lot of depth, that it does accumulate or at least change dynamically in these pictures? I tried to take a couple of screenshots of different frames of the video. And unless I'm crazy I feel that you can see a dynamic buildup of frost/snow on the plants, the trunk of the tree on the right getting smaller, there's stuff around the upper middle windows that looks different to me, and also the snow changing from being kinda see-through in places to a full white cover. Although, yes, some plants should imho disappear entirely & there's definitely places that could use thicker snow.

Still, despite it not really having the depth many of you want, I feel that the seasons will at least change somewhat dynamically over time? I hope so anyway.
    JftDRIe.png
    Z5Yd4XN.png
    d2YHLg8.png
    62VTeYv.png
    FH20Mt6.png
    wutDldA.png
    obunyEN.png
    CnedXEU.png

Of course it will appear progressively! I have no doubt about that.
    But it doesn't change the fact that snow that is just color on the ground would really be disappointing.

I have little faith in the theory that deep snow may exist in other worlds than the basegame worlds. It would then require two EP instead of one to experience deep snow. That doesn't sound like a good way to please the fanbase. But who knows.
    edit: And if there was deep snow in Newcrest, which is BG, there wouldn't be any reason not to show it in the trailer.

In which will it be then? It'll have to be in new crest or the other bg world or they'll have a lot of angry people.

If they went the "different climate for each world" route, I think San Myshuno, Granite Falls, Windenburg and Brindleton Bay could fit. Oasis Spring and Selvadorada are definitely out. Newcrest, Magnolia Promenade and Willow Creek share a similar theme and have palm trees so they would be a strech I think.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited May 2018
    @loutredor yeah I agree, I don't think the snow will get a whole lot deeper than this. Maybe in a winter ski pack or something, with deep snow on the mountains, or in a patch after seasons. Again, doesn't bother me personally very much, I find progressive/dynamic changes more important. But I hope for those that are bothered that they'll find a way to fix it.

ETA: although still, I think the snow in the trailer looks better than the one on the pic of WB they shared. And given the see-through areas on that shot, I kinda think that's an early winter picture. But I really, really don't know :/

DeAFsKNU8AAd0VZ.jpg
    CnedXEU.png
  • the_greenplumbobthe_greenplumbob Posts: 6,105 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    @loutredor yeah I agree, I don't think the snow will get a whole lot deeper than this. Maybe in a winter ski pack or something, with deep snow on the mountains, or in a patch after seasons. Again, doesn't bother me personally very much, I find progressive/dynamic changes more important. But I hope for those that are bothered that they'll find a way to fix it.

ETA: although still, I think the snow in the trailer looks better than the one on the pic of WB they shared. And given the see-through areas on that shot, I kinda think that's an early winter picture. But I really, really don't know :/

DeAFsKNU8AAd0VZ.jpg
    CnedXEU.png

I would just feel cheated if they include thick snow in another game pack - in seasons I expect thick snow to be present, we shouldn't have to buy another pack to complete the experience.
  • loutredorloutredor Posts: 404 Member
    edited May 2018
    You know, I wander if maybe they decided to do flat snow in order to be able to make footprints.
    Making footprints in 3D snow might be way more complicated. Were there footprints in TS2 and TS3? I can't remember x'D
    Post edited by loutredor on
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top