The final, special edition of the Friday Highlights has been posted here. Take a trip down memory lane with us.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gameplay Tips that makes the game more fun/realistic/unpredictable?

Is there anything you do in your game that adds more drama and complexity or increases the depth of your gameplay? Is there any details that greatly improved your gameplay experience?

- You can include interactions, in-game features, and playstyles that you discovered.
- It's okay to mention mods but gameplay that is entirely dependent upon mods (like Road to Fame and Go to School) is not part of the discussion.

I will start with some of my own:

- Use interactions base on your sims' personalities, a.k.a. not always use what will definitely work. I have a sim that flirts with every hot single guy she meets when she barely knows them, but her roommate does the opposite. Her roommate only starts flirting with guys after they have a high friendship level, and she will use "confess attraction" as soon as it is available. They both get a lot of rejections, but I think that makes the game much more realistic, since I always find romance in game predictable before.

- If it doesn't work, it doesn't. This has become my principle, and my gameplay improves so much after I figured this out. Whether it's romance or friendship or business, if it fails, just let it fail and move on. I used to try to justify everything and try again and again but it always seems forced. Sometimes I even cheat to get my sims to be partners or friends with a particular sim, but now I just accept that they are just not compatible.

- Try not to care about money too much. At first, when I play with a household that has a very limited fund, all I care about is leveling up their career and skills. I choose to let them stay at home every night to finish their daily tasks, and let them find collectibles/paint for money. I've missed out so much. Now I just don't care about household funds anymore. Some sims are rich from day 1; some are pretty comfortable despite not making the cut for "rich" sims; some started off poor and are career-oriented, but I wouldn't miss out all the fun things just to level up their career; some sims will stay in poverty and be fine with that.

- If you have Get Together, you can "Ask about another sim" "talk up another sim" (make them friends) "hook up with another sim" "trash another sim" and "ask to break up with another sim." I love these features, as it will actually influence the relaltionships between your sims.

- In CAS, I have "rules" for how each sim would like to dress up (I usually just memorize those but if it is something important I might write it in household bio). Some elders hate any dress that is shorter than knee length (*Cough* Miss Crumplebottom...I'm talking about you...). Some girls will never wear any outfit that shows her cleavage, while some others love provocative clothing. Some sims don't have their ears pierced so they will never have any earrings. Also, inspired by the Paragons, I start to give my sims and their best friends matching bracelets/necklaces. Not every sim are into that idea, but some do.

Comments

• Options
    loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,471 Member
    If something weird/random/unexpected happens, I've learned to supress my inner control freak (mostly!) and roll with it. For example, in my legacy challenge that I've been playing since day one, my latest heir - a really cute little kid - decided autonomously to dry some laundry... I bet you can guess where this going... Yes, up in flames. With much gritting of teeth I managed to stop myself quitting without saving and play the storyline out despite feelings of guilt :#
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    If something weird/random/unexpected happens, I've learned to supress my inner control freak (mostly!) and roll with it. For example, in my legacy challenge that I've been playing since day one, my latest heir - a really cute little kid - decided autonomously to dry some laundry... I bet you can guess where this going... Yes, up in flames. With much gritting of teeth I managed to stop myself quitting without saving and play the storyline out despite feelings of guilt :#

My sim child went up in flames yesterday because of the dryer too! However, his big sister managed to put him out before it was too late!!
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    When it comes to wardrobes I tend to have each sim have a signature colour or 2, as well as a style (goth, nerdy, casual etc) and make all their outfits fit that. I usually choose their style based on personality/job etc.

Sims without the Collector aspiration might still collect something in particular (loves animals so collects frogs/fish/aliens/insects or is a hippy into collecting crystals), or different items that go together (collectables and buy mode items that have a matching theme, like cityscape paintings & city themed snowglobes, or map and globes etc. for the veteran traveller).

I let sims choose their own friends/enemies/lovers by letting them be autonomous (I do have extra autonomy mods in too) and following Whims.

I have a mod in that randomises traits on each birthday instead of showing the trait/aspiration picker (you could also do this with external randomisers though).

I lock 5 random skills for CAS-created sims when I first play them (YA/teen) and 5 more when they reach adult age. For born in game they get randomised and locked at toddler/teen/adult birthdays. I might unlock a locked skill in elderhood as a rediscovered hobby etc. (This requires mods). This ensures that all sims I play have different abilities and may have to consider career/hobby choices from a more limited pool of options etc.

(E.G. Sim A has cooking looked, but not baking, so they use that as their main form of sustanance. Sim B has logic locked, so putting them in the science career is a terrible idea, but you can still do it for the lols if you want.)
  • Options
    loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,471 Member
    @EmmaVane, what autonomy mods do you have?
  • Options
    AmandèleAmandèle Posts: 378 Member
    I have a mod who reduces the chances of getting pregnant when trying for baby and it made my storylines way more interesting!
    The first time I used it, I was playing an adult couple and the wife wanted a successful lineage. I wanted her to be the perfect mother and raise a bunch of kids to become the rising stars of San Myshuno but it turned out she wouldn't get pregnant. She tried for almost 3 simweeks twice a day (luckily, my lifespan is set on long). In the end she did give birth to a little girl and let me tell you that baby has been the most loved simchild I ever had! Also the couple ended up adopted their second child which i usually never do.

I also like to follow the whims of my Sims to let them choose who they want to befriend.

Once I had a teen girl who I wanted to be shy. I couldn't choose between two boys to be her boyfriend and thought she wouldn't be the kind to seduce two persons at once. So I waited and eventually, one of the boys invited her on a date (even though they hadn't had any romantic interactions ever).

Also, I started to play with townies. Recently I started a save with Bob and Eliza Pancakes. I created their families (a widowed mother for Bob, 3 siblings, mother,father, nieces and nephews for Eliza). I randomized their traits and created a story out of it. It resulted in jealousy between sisters, family dinners turning to fights, argument about the will at Eliza's father's funeral and Bob convincing the husband of his sister-in-law (it's actually J Huntington, with whom he became best friend) to get a divorce...

I eventually realised the game could create a lot of drama itself without me working to make it happen. Since then, I enjoy it a lot more!
    Sorry for the mistakes, English is not my first language ^^'
  • Options
    SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,314 Member
    Whenever a fire starts, I sit back and watch it burn.
  • Options
    BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member

Same here.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I let autonomy assisted by whims play things out. I intervene to skill 'em up. I also randomise traits. To assist romantic relationships I have a group of male sims and a group of female sims meet at the same hangout and flirt with each other.

• Options
    AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    I'm similar when it comes to wardrobes. I only choose clothing that makes sense for the style and character of the Sim. An intelligent, classy female Sim I have will never wear extremely provocative clothing. At best, she'll only show a very slight amount of cleavage and that's only in her own home.

My main male Sim will never wear shirts with deep V-necks. Not his thing in the slightest and his hair is always in dreadlocks.

Hah, a big fire started in my Sims home yesterday. Took me 10 RL minutes to put it out. I might do your idea, though.

I may do this, except with pregnacies. Tired of taking care of toddlers. -.-
  • Options
    foussifoussi Posts: 642 Member
    I let the autonomy do its work.
    I have 8 sims in my household watching them interact without my interference is cool.
    For some Reason, all of them hate Miko.
    For example, some of them sit together in a group while there is that one lonely sim sitting somewhere.

• Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,966 Member
    I use the "Imperfect Sim Rule". This means that every sim must have at least one negative trait. If all the personality traits are good, I just make sure at least one of the character value is in red when sim becomes a young adult. It makes the game more interesting.
    Also, I make a graveyard (Generic) lot where I put the gravestones.
    +I put the family portrait in the every house. The Sims Mobile values I guess...
  • Options
    SimQueenie9SimQueenie9 Posts: 2,944 Member
    edited May 2018
    EgonVM wrote: »
    I use the "Imperfect Sim Rule". This means that every sim must have at least one negative trait. If all the personality traits are good,

What would you count as a "negative" trait?
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    I wind up getting bored with almost every household I play. It seems as there is not enough time in a Sim day and so much of it is taken up working, bathroom time and the length of time it takes to prepare and eat a meal.
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,966 Member
    I use the "Imperfect Sim Rule". This means that every sim must have at least one negative trait. If all the personality traits are good,

What would you count as a "negative" trait?

Mean, slob, lazy, somethings like that. If I can't find any negative traits, I let my sims get either bad manners, irresponsible, uncontrolled emotions, insensitive or argumentive.
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited May 2018
    When making Sims in CAS I make sure that not only do they follow a specific style and favour some colours, I also make sure that their hairstyles for each category fit. For example, if I use a long hairstyle for a female, and want to use a different one for her athletic attire, it will have to seem like they have the same lenght. Or if she has a fringe, every hairstyle must have a fringe, even if it is put "to the side".

For realism when in live mode:

- I usually only have one sim per household that knows how to cook properly and that is in charge of everyday meals
    - When a sim is pregnant, I get her to eat the most random things at odd times as if she had cravings
    - When decorating the rooms as toddlers grow up I do it thinking of how the specific sim would like their room to look, or how much control do the parents have in that household. Like if a parent has the neat trait they wouldn't allow posters on the wall, for example
    - When on a night out, after way too many drinks, I make my sims do odd/funny things that they wouldn't normally do to pretend they are drunk
    - Marrying two sims that are complete opposites or too similar doesn't usually have a happily ever after ending in my game

Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    RosalettaRosaletta Posts: 25 Member
    Randomization. All my sims have (more or less) random traits, aspirations and careers. That makes it more interesting for me, as I tend to pick the same traits over and over again if I pick them myself, and then all my sims feel like clones of each other.

I try to push my sims in the direction of their traits, as they tend to not do a lot of that by themselves. So if I have an active sim I make them exercise a lot, if he's mean I direct him to be mean to people, if he's a snob that'll influence how I build his house and his circle of friends and so on. I sometimes also feel they start doing these things more on their own after I have made them do it a bit.

I treat aspirations more like a life direction than a specific goal. What I mean by that is that I don't worry too much whether I actually fulfill them or not, I just imagine their aspiration to be the most important thing in their life. So a musical genius just loves music and wants to be good at it. A sim with big happy family wants to spend a lot of time with their family and make everyone happy. Fabulously wealthy wants to earn as much as possible. When I think about it like that it gives me more freedom to create stories for my sims, instead of feeling like I'm doing the same thing over and over again.
  • Options
    BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,613 Member
    Side tracking here, but I realized the “hook up with” option is missing from the rest. I still have talk up and ask about.
  • Options
    When making Sims in CAS I make sure that not only do they follow a specific style and favour some colours, I also make sure that their hairstyles for each category fit. For example, if I use a long hairstyle for a female, and want to use a different one for her athletic attire, it will have to seem like they have the same lenght. Or if she has a fringe, every hairstyle must have a fringe, even if it is put "to the side".

For realism when in live mode:

- I usually only have one sim per household that knows how to cook properly and that is in charge of everyday meals
    - When a sim is pregnant, I get her to eat the most random things at odd times as if she had cravings
    - When decorating the rooms as toddlers grow up I do it thinking of how the specific sim would like their room to look, or how much control do the parents have in that household. Like if a parent has the neat trait they wouldn't allow posters on the wall, for example
    - When on a night out, after way too many drinks, I make my sims do odd/funny things that they wouldn't normally do to pretend they are drunk
    - Marrying two sims that are complete opposites or too similar doesn't usually have a happily ever after ending in my game

I do the same for hair but it's quite hard. Lately, I challenged myself to create an only base game family and the mother ha d a fringe. It was awfully difficult to find matching hair and I gave up the fringe eventually
  • Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    I like to play a modified ISBI style -- I play only one Sim in a household and rotate households.
  • Options
    SlyvanasSlyvanas Posts: 855 Member
    MVWdeZT wrote: »
    I like to play a modified ISBI style -- I play only one Sim in a household and rotate households.

When you play like this how sufficient are the other sims in taking care of themselves? I tried a ISBI once before in the sims 4 and it was disappointing how the sims weren't like the sims 2 version. Doing that in sims 2 was hilarious and almost impossible to keep a family member from dying due to them not willing to eat or getting scared to death by a ghost lol!
    oxv0Rm8.png
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    AKLSimmer wrote: »
    - Use interactions base on your sims' personalities, a.k.a. not always use what will definitely work. I have a sim that flirts with every hot single guy she meets when she barely knows them, but her roommate does the opposite. Her roommate only starts flirting with guys after they have a high friendship level, and she will use "confess attraction" as soon as it is available. They both get a lot of rejections, but I think that makes the game much more realistic, since I always find romance in game predictable before.

- If it doesn't work, it doesn't. This has become my principle, and my gameplay improves so much after I figured this out. Whether it's romance or friendship or business, if it fails, just let it fail and move on. I used to try to justify everything and try again and again but it always seems forced. Sometimes I even cheat to get my sims to be partners or friends with a particular sim, but now I just accept that they are just not compatible.

These two are the ones that I try to follow. I like to roleplay each of my sims and I have a self-imposed rule to never use a social unless it 1) appears on the first menu or 2) I've haven't used it already in that conversation.
  • Options
    AKLSimmerAKLSimmer Posts: 78 Member

Tried this in my game and it is super funny!
    I use the "Imperfect Sim Rule". This means that every sim must have at least one negative trait. If all the personality traits are good, I just make sure at least one of the character value is in red when sim becomes a young adult. It makes the game more interesting.

I tried to use more negative traits too, but because there are too few negative traits in game, I end up using all positive traits for most of my sims. I do define some "flaws" in my sims' personalities, even if all of their traits are positive. I wish there are going to be more negative traits add to the game in the future.
    Side tracking here, but I realized the “hook up with” option is missing from the rest. I still have talk up and ask about.

I think if a sim is already married or in a relationship, you are not going to be able to hook him/her up with someone else.
    Amandèle wrote: »
    Also, I started to play with townies. Recently I started a save with Bob and Eliza Pancakes. I created their families (a widowed mother for Bob, 3 siblings, mother,father, nieces and nephews for Eliza). I randomized their traits and created a story out of it. It resulted in jealousy between sisters, family dinners turning to fights, argument about the will at Eliza's father's funeral and Bob convincing the husband of his sister-in-law (it's actually J Huntington, with whom he became best friend) to get a divorce...

I eventually realised the game could create a lot of drama itself without me working to make it happen. Since then, I enjoy it a lot more!

This sounds so fun! I also enjoy adding family members to existing sims (premades or my sims) and create drama between them:)
  • Options
    @AKLSimmer yes, I think creating family members adds a lot more depth to the characters (their relationships can define who your Sim is or explain his behaviour) and also gives you things to do when you start a new save (visiting family members, inviting them over for dinner, meet a new niece/nephew, mourn a deceased parent together,...)
    I do it all the time now!
  • Options
    breezydeerbreezydeer Posts: 111 Member
    I used to only give my sims positive traits. Now, picking the traits that match my sim best, even if they're negative, makes the game a much better experience :)
  • Options
    MaggiedollMaggiedoll Posts: 241 Member

When stuff like that happens I usually "save as" and give the new save the name of whatever happened, so that i can go back to the way it was before if I want to. Usually I end up just playing it out, though.
    I have waaaayyy too many save files.