Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Whims System Overhaul

PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
edited April 2018 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
There's tons of content that I'm hoping for Sims 4, and I know some of it is on its way. Content aside, in my opinion, the biggest thing that Sims 4 needs is an update / overhaul of the whims and aspiration points system.

Although at this time I prefer to play Sims 4, occasionally I'll dip back into playing Sims 2 or Sims 3. Then when going back to Sims 4, for me personally I notice the lack of depth of the whims. There have been many threads about the weaknesses of Sims 4 whims, and I'm not wanting this to turn into a Sims 4 bashing thread. Instead, I am interested in proposing some specific ideas to potentially improve the system -- I believe it's possible! Whether the development team decides to focus their attention on this or not remains to be seen. So here are my suggestions:

More Whim Slots
One of the biggest differences is the number of whims available to a sim at any one time. In Sims 3, they are called "wishes" and there are actually 5 - four can be chosen /"locked" and there's an open slot where a wish can be selected from a group of wishes available at the time.

In Sims 4 there are only 3 whims, one of which cannot be pinned, and changes upon the changing emotion (all the time). In essence that leaves us with really only 2 whims we can work toward. So I recommend adding *two* more whim slots. See how this might look below.

Activity-Related Whims
At least one whim should be generated somehow from the most recent activity the sim was involved with. This happens in Sims 3 and I'd like to see this happen in Sims 4. In other words, the more a Sim does something, the more they will get a whim related to what they're doing. If they go bowling, a whim should be generated to bowl a strike. If they are gardening, a whim should be generated to evolve a plant. Etc.

Deeper Whims
There are some whims that are more significant than others, and these "deeper whims" should be distinguished from the more fleeting whims (similar to how certain Wants in Sims 2 also affected the Influence meter). I'd love to see a tweaking of the whim system so that for new sims, there is always at least some deeper whim:
  • to create/enhance a significant relationship (not necessarily romantic, but possibly)
  • a whim/desire related to career/employment (depending on their stage of life)
Ideally there should always be at least one available "deeper whim."

It seems odd to me that I can move in a fresh Young Adult into a home and unless they have the trait of "Ambitious" or "Soulmate", they don't have any whims related to these major aspects of life. They will just happily exist in the here and now, perhaps wanting a dishwasher or dryer or to research Vampirism. Those whims are fine, but there need to be more significant ones, and not necessarily tied to their Aspiration, either. Just because my sim is an Outdoor Enthusiast doesn't mean they don't want a job or a family. And if the whim doesn't fit our story in mind, we can simply delete the whim.

My idea is this deeper Whim (maybe call it "Desire"?) would be distinguished from the others and outlined in a different color. How would this affect gameplay? If this whim is pinned, after a certain period of time, if it hasn't been fulfilled, the color of the outline might change, but more significantly, it will give a negative moodlet to the Sim, depending on their traits. A sim might get Sad that their Whim hasn't been fulfilled yet, or Angry, or Tense. Something like "Tense - from Unfulfilled Desires." And the moodlet might go away for a while, but come back again.

If players don't want to be tied down by these deeper Whims, or feel they are not going in the direction of the story they have in mind, all they have to do is delete the Whim. In this way it would more flexible than the Sims 2 (where if you didn't keep the Aspiration meter high enough the Sims would suffer from aspiration failure).

On the flip side, once a deeper Whim is fulfilled, it is worth significantly more points and/or there's a Happy moodlet from a Fulfilled Desire (similar to Sims 3).

Tied into this Whim upgrade is also adding more compelling Rewards for us to spend Reward points. I would also possibly tweak the points of these - for example, maybe make the Potion of Youth a bit more expensive, etc. This could be balanced with having more points available with the Deeper Whims.

Here's how the current Whim system looks now:

whims-now.png

And how it could look with an upgrade, with the "Deeper Whim" outlined around the edge (disclaimer: this is just quick and dirty Photoshopping):

whim-overhaul-idea.png

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Edited April 4th 2018 to update image links
Post edited by Pegasys on

Comments

• SimsayCDSimsayCD Posts: 95 Member
    I've personally never been much of a fan of the "whims" system. To me, they don't stand out the way the "Wants" did from TS2/TS3. They are more like "Optional things to do" to me... I truly miss the "Want and Fears" system from TS2. It felt so much more real. I think your idea is heading in the right direction, but I would love for the team to implement a "Fear"-like system along with more substantial whims.
  • aloadaialoadai Posts: 51 Member
    SimsayCD wrote: »
    I truly miss the "Want and Fears" system from TS2. It felt so much more real. I think your idea is heading in the right direction, but I would love for the team to implement a "Fear"-like system along with more substantial whims.
    I like this idea

• TentacrocaclesTentacrocacles Posts: 449 Member
    I actually really love this idea OP.
    SimsayCD wrote: »
    I've personally never been much of a fan of the "whims" system. To me, they don't stand out the way the "Wants" did from TS2/TS3. They are more like "Optional things to do" to me... I truly miss the "Want and Fears" system from TS2. It felt so much more real. I think your idea is heading in the right direction, but I would love for the team to implement a "Fear"-like system along with more substantial whims.

And I really really love the idea of throwing some fears into it too! That's what this game is really missing, I forgot how much I missed something going wrong from time to time and having a sim realize a fear and that putting them in a bad mood. Perhaps if this were implemented there would be some fleeting fears (similar to how there are fleeting whims) and them some more deep set fears that pop up from time to time (like having your birthday be forgotten as your birthday approaches) and you get a positive moodlet if it's not realized and is something worth noting (like a missed or bad birthday), or a really really bad moodlet if it is.
    A link to my most recent build in the gallery

tumblr_inline_okebxv2e9a1shjovd_1280.png
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I like your ideas @Pegasys and I agree
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • OpicanaOpicana Posts: 379 Member
    I love this idea!
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited February 2018
    No more happy moodlets. You might trigger DeservedCrit-- lol. Though seriously, the TS4 has got enough of them to the point its literally killing sims off with hysteria. Every little thing sims do will lead to them oh boy another happy moodlet, it isn't enough. Players are reporting sims dying from just wearing fresh/washed clothes which adds a final straw to their lifes after along with the other overstacked happy buffs.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    This is needed!
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • craftaholiccraftaholic Posts: 447 Member
    If we are going to make changes I would like for two things: my sim to stop asking for me to buy something we already own. and for my sim to stop asking for the same thing over and over again. I want a bee box (no, cancels that) ok I want to do karaoke ( no, cancels that) I want a bee box ( I just said no not more than two minutes ago!)
    Stop me if you've heard this one: a sim walks into a bar....player moves bar out of the way.....sim walks on without walking into anything else.