We have a new survey live for you to provide feedback on the new EA forums! Click here to read more.
March 1st - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

All packs prices increased by on many countries

Comments

  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited January 2018
    @Loanet i agree majorly with you on that. its totally unfair that some countries have to pay more even ones like me that is just north of them. the saddest thing is if they had a system like steam where you can buy cards and such to buy the games it might not be a problem but people having to use other means to get the game ie credit cards or other gift cards which is hard because even with the credit cards gift cards you're left with some money or now a lot of money if you buy gp since its plumming 25.99 cnd! which means you need to buy a 50 now in order to get it with the taxes which brings a total of 29.37 almost 30 bucks. they're making it hard on the people that don't get the luxury of have the ea card.

    I'll bet you ANYTHING that was the idea they had in mind when they priced those gift cards. Hardly any games are a round number, so you'll always have money left over. But they get your money either way. It makes me sick to my stomach that a lot of these people basically rent you the game. It's not really yours.

    $9:99 vs £9:99? Does EA think I'm simple? That I really do have no idea about exchange rates?

    Regardless, this price hike for non-American countries is a sleazy move and more importantly, a sign of things to come. America is where the majority of players live, so they rise elsewhere. And when their major player base doesn't peep because "It's not my problem", EA swoops in with a cunning price hike for them with regards to GPs and SPs in a few months after the next sale so that they mesh with exchange rates.

    Noticed how Cats&Dogs was more expensive than the other packs when it came out? Well, now it's not - but that's because the other packs rose to meet it AFTER THE CHRISTMAS SALE.

    If we don't work together - and that means the US players need to stop standing around leering smugly because nothing has changed for them YET - then our prices will remain higher and theirs will rise too. It's a sleazy business practice and EA is certainly not the first to pull it off, but it is still greedy when EA makes as much money as it already does from Sims. It's not exactly making The Sims at a loss.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited January 2018
    Loanet wrote: »
    @Loanet i agree majorly with you on that. its totally unfair that some countries have to pay more even ones like me that is just north of them. the saddest thing is if they had a system like steam where you can buy cards and such to buy the games it might not be a problem but people having to use other means to get the game ie credit cards or other gift cards which is hard because even with the credit cards gift cards you're left with some money or now a lot of money if you buy gp since its plumming 25.99 cnd! which means you need to buy a 50 now in order to get it with the taxes which brings a total of 29.37 almost 30 bucks. they're making it hard on the people that don't get the luxury of have the ea card.

    I'll bet you ANYTHING that was the idea they had in mind when they priced those gift cards. Hardly any games are a round number, so you'll always have money left over. But they get your money either way. It makes me sick to my stomach that a lot of these people basically rent you the game. It's not really yours.

    $9:99 vs £9:99? Does EA think I'm simple? That I really do have no idea about exchange rates?

    Regardless, this price hike for non-American countries is a sleazy move and more importantly, a sign of things to come. America is where the majority of players live, so they rise elsewhere. And when their major player base doesn't peep because "It's not my problem", EA swoops in with a cunning price hike for them with regards to GPs and SPs in a few months after the next sale so that they mesh with exchange rates.

    Noticed how Cats&Dogs was more expensive than the other packs when it came out? Well, now it's not - but that's because the other packs rose to meet it AFTER THE CHRISTMAS SALE.

    If we don't work together - and that means the US players need to stop standing around leering smugly because nothing has changed for them YET - then our prices will remain higher and theirs will rise too. It's a sleazy business practice and EA is certainly not the first to pull it off, but it is still greedy when EA makes as much money as it already does from Sims. It's not exactly making The Sims at a loss.

    Do you understand how international trade works?

    You pay what ever price listed in a store or local Origin or download center for the game in your country. That store sends EA the price EA has listed for all the games - the same equivalent price it is for everyone - then that store sends Tax money in that country it is in to where it goes, and any other charges to where they go. EA sees the same money they always get - that has not changed as they charge the same price as always - but the store you bought from handles everything over EA price - not EA. That extra charge over what you paid before and what you pay now never leaves your country.

    The only way EA could gain more money is raise prices on all their Sims 4 games equally in all countries - not just some places, and not others - it is part of the Fair Trade Laws - EA's price has not changed, but your countries tariffs and other charges are what changed. It is more than just the type of currency you use - it also depends on the economy and government of your country raising and lowing fees as well on international trade.

    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

  • FirandeFirande Posts: 816 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Loanet wrote: »
    @Loanet i agree majorly with you on that. its totally unfair that some countries have to pay more even ones like me that is just north of them. the saddest thing is if they had a system like steam where you can buy cards and such to buy the games it might not be a problem but people having to use other means to get the game ie credit cards or other gift cards which is hard because even with the credit cards gift cards you're left with some money or now a lot of money if you buy gp since its plumming 25.99 cnd! which means you need to buy a 50 now in order to get it with the taxes which brings a total of 29.37 almost 30 bucks. they're making it hard on the people that don't get the luxury of have the ea card.

    I'll bet you ANYTHING that was the idea they had in mind when they priced those gift cards. Hardly any games are a round number, so you'll always have money left over. But they get your money either way. It makes me sick to my stomach that a lot of these people basically rent you the game. It's not really yours.

    $9:99 vs £9:99? Does EA think I'm simple? That I really do have no idea about exchange rates?

    Regardless, this price hike for non-American countries is a sleazy move and more importantly, a sign of things to come. America is where the majority of players live, so they rise elsewhere. And when their major player base doesn't peep because "It's not my problem", EA swoops in with a cunning price hike for them with regards to GPs and SPs in a few months after the next sale so that they mesh with exchange rates.

    Noticed how Cats&Dogs was more expensive than the other packs when it came out? Well, now it's not - but that's because the other packs rose to meet it AFTER THE CHRISTMAS SALE.

    If we don't work together - and that means the US players need to stop standing around leering smugly because nothing has changed for them YET - then our prices will remain higher and theirs will rise too. It's a sleazy business practice and EA is certainly not the first to pull it off, but it is still greedy when EA makes as much money as it already does from Sims. It's not exactly making The Sims at a loss.

    Do you even know how it works?

    You pay what ever price listed in a store or local Origin or download center for the game in your country. That store sends EA the price EA has listed for all the games - the same equivalent price it is for everyone - then that store sends Tax money in that country it is in to where it goes, and any other charges to where they go. EA sees the same money they always get - that has not changed as they charge the same price as always - but the store you bought from handles everything over EA price - not EA. That extra charge over what you paid before and what you pay now never leaves your country.

    The only way EA could gain more money is raise prices on all their Sims 4 games equally in all countries - not just some places, and not others - it is part of the Fair Trade Laws - EA's price has not changed, but your countries tariffs and other charges are what changed. It is more than just the type of currency you use - it also depends on the economy and government of your country raising and lowing fees as well on international trade.

    Can any Spanish or Italian Simmer confirm that the price has indeed increased for them? If yes, then please, @Writin_Reg, explain how THAT would work, since these countries use the Euro which is stronger than the US Dollar, so we actually already pay more than, say, US citizens for packs. I don't know the first thing about Economics so I won't delve into that - what you said made no sense to me whatsoever but that's because I admittedly don't know how this works. What I do know is that I used to defend EA and still would on certain fronts, but when I saw this I just thought it was absolutely ridiculous. I agree with Simmers asking why, if everything you're saying is true, only TS4 DLC is affected, and not other EA games... and I don't think I have read a convincing argument in response to that question. Also, there are some currencies that are stronger than the USD, yet still pay the same 9,99 price. I do kind of get why EA would adjust prices for some countries - I'm so sorry, UK Simmers, but your currency really has reached an all-time low... but again, why only for TS4 DLC?

    I mean, as I said I am not an Economic or anything, so whatever I say, someone will know better. But I am an EA customer, and even though I am not from one of the affected countries, seeing this made me feel even more hesitant about buying Sims packs than before. It makes me think that if currency worth matters so much, then why would I pay €10 and not €8 for a stuff pack? I am in the US now, though, for a few months, and was thinking of taking advantage of the USD and buy some packs here - but now, I'm honestly not sure I will anymore. No matter your reasonings, all it does for me is to bring to light EA's greed. Even if unjustified, that's how many Simmers will feel about this. And I honestly don't think it's that unjustified at all. That explanation, people are saying what more do we want? Personally, I'd be interested to know why ONLY TS4 is affected by this. And what the heck they were thinking when adding Spain and Italy to this list.
    Origin ID: Fierande | Simlit | Tumblr

    fgQIHTb.png
  • TeoKnowsBestTeoKnowsBest Posts: 81 Member
    I just buy codes from G2A since they are a lot cheaper and the site is safe. For example, Cats and Dogs is 24 euros there.


    Origin: TeoKnowsBest
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited January 2018
    Never mind - I cannot explain without getting into politics - and that is forbidden on the forums. All I can suggest is looking into economics, World Trade Organization, tariffs and trade laws.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited January 2018
    The Eurozone countries are definitely the most interesting. The Euro has risen since 2017 and currently one Euro is worth $1.22 USD.

    The Canadian dollar-USD exchange rate is more or less exactly where it was when the Sims 4 released. Heck, even the Brazilian Real has stagnated since this game's release and holds more or less the same value.

    Infact, the British Pound only fell when we compare to 2016 or earlier. If we compare to 2017, it's actually back on the rise vs. the dollar and is still worth significantly more than the US dollar. (1.39 USD)

    They may list currency value and exchange rates as reasons but it sure isn't looking like they are.

    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • princess_kaguyaprincess_kaguya Posts: 508 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    America is where the majority of players live, so they rise elsewhere.

    sims 4 has a very big fan base in brazil and look what they've done to us. maybe they did it on purpose cuz they know the fans will buy anything they release, specially here where the majority of the players are kids/teens with easy access to their parents credit cards lol
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,069 Member
    edited January 2018
    @princess_kaguya @Loanet

    From my website statistic, the most of the download was done from :
    • USA
    • Brazil
    • Thailand
    • Germany
    • UK
    • France

  • princess_kaguyaprincess_kaguya Posts: 508 Member
    @princess_kaguya @Loanet

    From my website statistic, the most of the download was done from :
    • USA
    • Brazil
    • Thailand
    • Germany
    • UK

    im happy and sad at the same time. we're so gullible. :'(
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited January 2018
    It's not about the law. Internet law about digital downloads is fuzzy as the devil's eyebrows. EA is the kind of company to be very legal about its price rises.

    I notice that all the people who think this is all fair and good are from countries who haven't had price rises.

    The Euro is not the Pound, no matter what you think. The Euro is not acceptable currency in the UK. Currency and exchange rates and taxes is not a viable reason to raise the price further - ESPECIALLY not when EA is already making money hand over fist from The Sims. £7:99, the previous price, translates to $11:07. Funny, that... it ALREADY cost more for us in the UK just to download a bunch of code from an online site. Strange how it's usually cheaper to buy online.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    I refuse to be the fool that pays more than anywhere else in the world. 10£ stuff packs translate to a lost sale from me. I thought that 7.99£ was pushing it as it was and was hoping for a discount. At 10£? No chance.

    And no, trade laws did not change recently in the UK, the pound is back on the rise and our price did not rise to meet the USA's price, it rose above it.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    I refuse to be the fool that pays more than anywhere else in the world. 10£ stuff packs translate to a lost sale from me. I thought that 7.99£ was pushing it as it was and was hoping for a discount. At 10£? No chance.

    And no, trade laws did not change recently in the UK, the pound is back on the rise and our price did not rise to meet the USA's price, it rose above it.

    Exactly my thoughts.
  • LadyTachunkaLadyTachunka Posts: 1,454 Member
    edited January 2018
    lol console people arent safe with from this! they upped the console prices as well.

    sketch_by_starsharmony-dc0pwoc.png?1
    8a35839c629b9a9f3643198909b278c0.gif Been simming since the end of sims 2~Sims Gallery ID:BSAAWaifu
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Someone mentioned they may be trying to make by money from the Star Wars fiasco and I can't help but wonder the same. A quick google to see what news there is about EA shows Morgan Stanley recently downgraded their stock outlook from overweight to equalweight.

    I also forget which title it was, but I remember seeing an article stating Sims 3's earnings directly funded another EA title and paid for it's development. People often forget this is the biggest and best-selling franchise under EA (perhaps all the sports titles combined outdo it, but I don't know), so if they're strapped for cash and want some more, this is the game they'll come crawling to.

    All speculation of course, but yeah after looking into the currency exchange rates, it's clear something isn't adding up here. I'm just not seeing what the price increase is supposed to correlate with amongst these countries.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited January 2018
    Haiden wrote: »
    I logged in this morning and my game was updating. I was browsing the extra content and was just about to buy laundry stuff when I noticed the price hike. Well that's a sale they have now lost as I cannot condone a 50% price increase. People can say what they like, but I'm saying EA had a dismal 2017 with sales from their 2 big IP's (Star Wars battlefront and need for speed) tanking. They lost a ton of revenue with the removal of micro transactions from those games with them not even reaching their projected sales figures and now they trying to make it up by raising prices of sims 4 dlc micro transactions to attempt to make up for their short fall.

    Honestly Battlefront 2 was a total flop. EA was obligated to take those microtransactions off because they are so greedy, it's unbelievable that some kids were spending more than 10.000$ or whatever on loot boxes, people complained loud and I believe there was even a petition to get Disney to revoke the EA's Star Wars game rights . If they made good games instead of this online trash they are constantly remaking every year they'd have better revenue overall and a better reputation.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • VraieVraie Posts: 196 Member
    Ok, so UK person here.

    First the general confusion over what currencies are what and what they're worth kind of boggles my mind.
    I'm so sorry, UK Simmers, but your currency really has reached an all-time low..
    Sorry to the person who said this, I'm not picking on you, but I fail to see how that has any relevance to any of the Euro discussion. The Euro is a bigger unit of currency than the $US but a SMALLER unit of currency than the £UK EVEN following the post-brexit currency crash. Moreover, the value of the £ dropped in June 2016. It's been down to $1.33ish for almost two years. In recent weeks it's gone back up to $1.37 which is still low but HIGHER than its lowest point which was $1.29, back in 2016.

    In reality, UK people have done well out of EA. In real terms we have actually had content cheaper than the US because of the difference in relative costs of living between the countries. Although $1 doesn't = £1, if you look at general costs, wages (theoretically) etc, where a person in the US might earn $7, a person in the UK might get £7. So I have always been surprised that we didn't have a £10 price tag on the stuff pack when the US had a $10 one. In my experience in other things it's normal for them to sell a $10 item in the Uk for £10 and absolutely nobody blinks an eyelid at it. I imagine most of the people on here already do this without knowing they do because they don't look at the comparison on a regular basis.

    I'm not too fussed by the price rise - not because I have super cash to spend on games all of a sudden, actually in my case it's the opposite. But I don't ever buy packs when they're on full price anyway. Everything I buy is when there's a sale on and so I get the discount and it's fine. Of course, if they stopped running discount on these things then that would be a problem.

    Going back to the currency, and the £ and the €, it's currently €1.13 to the £. So even if the value of the £ has dropped, the value of the Euro is still less than it, and so any argument that the UK should have a price hike but Europe shouldn't makes no sense in the context of currency size.

    The thing I don't understand about this is that when the £ was 1.6$, that would mean that $10 was the same as £6.25. We've actually been paying more for the packs since 2016 in the UK BECAUSE the value of the £ dropped, even though the price didn't change. Our economy changed so in context with inflation, more of our money was going on the game than previously. That had nothing to do with EA, it had to do with the value of the £, and most of all, the Brexit vote, which killed our currency and IS a reason to be angry. But I would have thought that EA would have taken more money (being a US company) since the value of the £ dropped against the $...unless the problem is with the regional branches not making enough profit to feed back to the mother company.

    In which case, if the UK deserve to get price hiked because of the dropped currency, I suggest getting angry with people who voted Brexit rather than EA. As for the other European countries, if it were all of them, I would hazard a guess that maybe the reason Europe is also affected may connect with the EU itself and how product is traded within that zone. But it's more complicated than just about the Euro. Denmark and Sweden also don't use the Euro, and Norway isn't in the EU although does have similar custom rules...those are three other currencies to take into consideration in this. I am pretty sure Poland don't use the Euro either. So we don't have a situation where it's all about Eurozone countries. It's specific countries in the Eurozone plus some not in the Eurozone. Which suggests this is more to do with individual countries and their specific economies and trading than it is the collective. And just because all these countries (even ours at present) are in or trade with the EU, it doesn't mean that they don't have their own individual economies and circumstances.

    tl;dr - It;s not just about currencies. That doesn't make sense, and nor do any of the arguments about the weak pound, because half the listed European countries don't use the Euro and the Euro is still smaller than the £ anyway.
  • FirandeFirande Posts: 816 Member
    edited January 2018
    Vraie wrote: »
    Ok, so UK person here.

    First the general confusion over what currencies are what and what they're worth kind of boggles my mind.
    I'm so sorry, UK Simmers, but your currency really has reached an all-time low..
    Sorry to the person who said this, I'm not picking on you, but I fail to see how that has any relevance to any of the Euro discussion. The Euro is a bigger unit of currency than the $US but a SMALLER unit of currency than the £UK EVEN following the post-brexit currency crash. Moreover, the value of the £ dropped in June 2016. It's been down to $1.33ish for almost two years. In recent weeks it's gone back up to $1.37 which is still low but HIGHER than its lowest point which was $1.29, back in 2016.

    In reality, UK people have done well out of EA. In real terms we have actually had content cheaper than the US because of the difference in relative costs of living between the countries. Although $1 doesn't = £1, if you look at general costs, wages (theoretically) etc, where a person in the US might earn $7, a person in the UK might get £7. So I have always been surprised that we didn't have a £10 price tag on the stuff pack when the US had a $10 one. In my experience in other things it's normal for them to sell a $10 item in the Uk for £10 and absolutely nobody blinks an eyelid at it. I imagine most of the people on here already do this without knowing they do because they don't look at the comparison on a regular basis.

    I'm not too fussed by the price rise - not because I have super cash to spend on games all of a sudden, actually in my case it's the opposite. But I don't ever buy packs when they're on full price anyway. Everything I buy is when there's a sale on and so I get the discount and it's fine. Of course, if they stopped running discount on these things then that would be a problem.

    Going back to the currency, and the £ and the €, it's currently €1.13 to the £. So even if the value of the £ has dropped, the value of the Euro is still less than it, and so any argument that the UK should have a price hike but Europe shouldn't makes no sense in the context of currency size.

    The thing I don't understand about this is that when the £ was 1.6$, that would mean that $10 was the same as £6.25. We've actually been paying more for the packs since 2016 in the UK BECAUSE the value of the £ dropped, even though the price didn't change. Our economy changed so in context with inflation, more of our money was going on the game than previously. That had nothing to do with EA, it had to do with the value of the £, and most of all, the Brexit vote, which killed our currency and IS a reason to be angry. But I would have thought that EA would have taken more money (being a US company) since the value of the £ dropped against the $...unless the problem is with the regional branches not making enough profit to feed back to the mother company.

    In which case, if the UK deserve to get price hiked because of the dropped currency, I suggest getting angry with people who voted Brexit rather than EA. As for the other European countries, if it were all of them, I would hazard a guess that maybe the reason Europe is also affected may connect with the EU itself and how product is traded within that zone. But it's more complicated than just about the Euro. Denmark and Sweden also don't use the Euro, and Norway isn't in the EU although does have similar custom rules...those are three other currencies to take into consideration in this. I am pretty sure Poland don't use the Euro either. So we don't have a situation where it's all about Eurozone countries. It's specific countries in the Eurozone plus some not in the Eurozone. Which suggests this is more to do with individual countries and their specific economies and trading than it is the collective. And just because all these countries (even ours at present) are in or trade with the EU, it doesn't mean that they don't have their own individual economies and circumstances.

    tl;dr - It;s not just about currencies. That doesn't make sense, and nor do any of the arguments about the weak pound, because half the listed European countries don't use the Euro and the Euro is still smaller than the £ anyway.

    I was defending Simmers from countries whose prices increased, especially Italy and Spain because they are Euro countries. I wrote that particular sentence because we all know that the Pound DID drop in overall value compared to game launch value in 2014. The fact that it rose back up between 2016 and 2017 doesn't really matter in that discussion - I was not saying that it was FAIR that your prices increased. What I was saying, and I'm also fairly sure I used "kind of", is that I kind of, in a way, understand why EA would up prices if the Pound lowered in value compared to launch. I used the Pound as an example as that seems to be the only currency from all that have had price increases that has indeed lowered in value. This was not between the Euro and the Pound, by the way, but between the Pound and the USD. Since the Pound has lowered in overall value compared to 2014, there might have been a certain degree of reasoning behind this one - which there isn't at all for most of the other countries, whose currency has not decreased in value at all. Again, might have been, because there's still so many other factors that make this EA decision very, very questionable to say the least. That's what I was saying. I still don't agree, but there's at least something to this. Again, still don't agree. But please, read and maybe quote my entire post as I DID not agree with EA's decision at all.

    ETA: Would also like to add that why would the Euro even have a price increase when we already pay €10,- for stuff packs and our currency has actually risen since the game's launch? Like you, I never saw this as a problem because even though we technically pay more, with earnings and everything €1,- pretty much equals $1,-. But I don't understand the logic behind that argument at all. All I was saying, in that one sentence, is that since the Pound's value decreased EA's argument of currency changing KIND OF does apply to it - which it doesn't to the other currencies.

    So again, as I find it hard to word myself correctly here: I DO NOT agree with EA's decision as my post in its ENTIRETY makes clear. I think that if this is indeed about currency values, then why only TS4 DLC, why now, and why for countries whose currency hasn't even decreased (by much) since launch in 2014? What I meant with THAT sentence is that EA's argument could only kind of be applied to the Pound - but then again, why not up all prices when the pound really hit the ground back in 2016? That's what I was saying.
    Post edited by Firande on
    Origin ID: Fierande | Simlit | Tumblr

    fgQIHTb.png
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Vraie wrote: »

    In reality, UK people have done well out of EA. In real terms we have actually had content cheaper than the US because of the difference in relative costs of living between the countries. Although $1 doesn't = £1, if you look at general costs, wages (theoretically) etc, where a person in the US might earn $7, a person in the UK might get £7. So I have always been surprised that we didn't have a £10 price tag on the stuff pack when the US had a $10 one. In my experience in other things it's normal for them to sell a $10 item in the Uk for £10 and absolutely nobody blinks an eyelid at it. I imagine most of the people on here already do this without knowing they do because they don't look at the comparison on a regular basis.

    Dual-citizen here, and I'm afraid you may be mistaken here. Infact, it's the opposite.

    The first time I was employed in Germany, I had to do a double-take at my annual income. It was half of what I would make in the USA, and yet I was living very comfortably, moreso than I would in the USA. It took me years to process that Germany - despite having average incomes half that of the USA - offers the same standard of living, if not better. If you do a quick google search you'll find the annual incomes of USA, Germany and the UK listed at $59,039, $33,652 and £27,600 respectively. If we're including all factors, it's really not that simple and an argument could easily be made that your American counterparts have more expendable income, even if they do have more expenses. (boy I sure do miss not having healthcare) Just because the UK currency is valued higher does not mean the British have "done well out of EA." Even if they had, I would argue it does not justify EA suddenly raising the price on them at a moment where it's unjustifiable just because EA forgot to raise the price at a time when it was. That's your fault EA, not the fault of the customers, so it's ridiculous to expect them to foot the bill now.

    In which case, if the UK deserve to get price hiked because of the dropped currency, I suggest getting angry with people who voted Brexit rather than EA. As for the other European countries, if it were all of them, I would hazard a guess that maybe the reason Europe is also affected may connect with the EU itself and how product is traded within that zone.

    Again, speaking as a dual-citizen, I've never noticed or heard of a difference in how these companies sell video games. We're talking about virtual merchandise here. This isn't exactly something that has to go through customs and gets taxed. We're not about to see major news headlines about some guy trying to smuggle Sims 4 activation codes into the EU or something. It would be fully understandable if EA were selling American-style jeans to EU, a recent EU legislature raised the taxing on jeans in customs, and EA had to raise prices on those customers to stay afloat, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. It's virtual property, it is not regulated by any customs.

    This is made further questionable by the fact that this is solely affecting the Sims 4.
    Let's assume for a moment that Spain has such high business taxes that EA needs to raise the price of their products in order for business in Spain to be profitable. Okay....so why is only the Sims 4 affected? That simply makes no sense. Absolutely nothing about the alleged justifications for this price change makes sense. They name Spain - an EU member - but then don't name Germany, Netherlands, Austria, France or any other EU members using the Euro. They name currency values and exchange rates, but there's no correlation between those countries and their currency values changing. You name economic policies, but virtual property are not regulated by customs or import taxes or anything. Additional tax fees or costs of running a business in said company are possible, but once again they only raised the price on Sims 4, so this doesn't add up either. It makes no sense for them to want to turn a profit on Sims 4 but to want to accept a loss on ALL their other games.

    I would love to hear evidence that sales in these countries are somehow more difficult or expensive for them, but that's just it: I feel the "burden of proof" is on EA to tell us why these price changes are neccesary rather than desired. Despite this, all EA is giving us is absolute radio silence and a short list of reasons that make no sense given the evidence provided. The only trend I see between the countries on the list is that those countries are both some of their best customers and their worst (Spain for example is not a big purchaser of video games), but I see zero correlation regarding their currencies. Customs or export costs make absolutely zero sense either since we're talking about virtual properties.


    A bit of personal opinion speaking? I can't help but wonder if this price change was specifically targeted at Sims 4 because it's one of their best sellers (if not the best) and - again personal opinion - I find this community faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar more complacent than any other video game community I've ever encountered. Today we're complaining and acting outraged, next month I'm gonna see 80% of you all buying the new GP without even thinking twice about it. Had they done this with Star Wars Battlefront, it would've been an internet-famous scandal where their reputation actually divebombed even lower. But the Sims...? They can do it here and the most they can expect is a "shame on you, I'm gonna go fetch my credit card and I expect you to think about what you've done while I'm gone!"

    I would love to find a rational reason for the change. I would love to believe people aren't as greedy as I think they are, I really would. When I try to explain this price change though, nothing is adding up. There's zero common link here. The burden of proof is truly on them, but as of yet they've yet to disclose exactly why they've done this, and yes, I am absolutely going to speculate it's to mitigate losses from other games by exploiting one of their most popular and complacent franchises.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    I forgot to mention (or really just didn't think I would ever need to defend why I'm complaining about a price increase of 100%), but in Brazil, where the change was extreme, there're a few projects rolling around to significantly lower the taxes on video games in general. The first of them, already approved by the senate with heavy support from the majority, define our games taxation on the same level of overall art, from 72% to 9%. This is a huge step to the industry. The gamer community here is large, this is the 6th most populated country afterall, and the feeling is that more changes are about to come given how loud we're shouting about the old polices for imported games as well -- they are extremely high since ages ago, there's no new taxes as excuses, the market would never accept this.

    My bet is that EA is exploiting this wave to not only adjust the prices up by the currencies but also to, when the lower taxes come, maybe recede with the prices just a little so they can cash this new profit, keep the game's cost a bit higher and still end up as benevolent for it.

    Another factor that may be influencing are the console's game prices, which are like 3x more expensive than pc games here. Elevating one so the console people don't uprise sounds so fitting for the company. Well, now they are the same, both high. Other stores were already doing it.

    I'm just not able to accept these practices because "that's how it is" as some are suggesting, I'm not that dead yet. Maybe it's cultural but I don't give companies free pass for greed, never did; they gotta give something in return, fairly.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited January 2018
    Why is everybody's pro-hike argument "Oh, the price rise doesn't matter because YOU CAN AFFORD IT." What kind of argument is that for EA getting greedy?

    Oh yeah, and as for taxes? Do they know ANYTHING about the hoops these big internet companies will go through to minimise the taxes they pay? There are a lot of contraversies about online companies getting out of paying taxes because nobody can pin down exactly which country they're based in. EA is no different.

    "Oh, but it's a business. Are you denying them their right to make money?"

    No. They can make money, I suppose. In exchange for a good game and fair content. Point is, I'm saying that EA is in the entertainment industry; it's not a plum bank. The money it makes is its reward for a good game, so that it can make more and better games for its gaming consumers, not so that it can invent more ways to make more money. And you know what? They're ALREADY making money! Did Battlefront 2 result in them losing face? Well, why should Sims players have to shell out more if they fouled up what is their JOB?!

    Are some players saying I have a choice? That's only true in the most basic of senses. I can choose to have less content in my game and an incomplete experience, or I can pay the inflated price, and EA knows it. There is actual gameplay material in all Stuff Packs. If I don't buy it, my gameplay experience is less than that of other people.

    In case they haven't noticed, EA does not have an automatic RIGHT to my money. But they behave as if this is what they believe.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    Firande wrote: »
    In reality, UK people have done well out of EA. In real terms we have actually had content cheaper than the US because of the difference in relative costs of living between the countries. Although $1 doesn't = £1, if you look at general costs, wages (theoretically) etc, where a person in the US might earn $7, a person in the UK might get £7. So I have always been surprised that we didn't have a £10 price tag on the stuff pack when the US had a $10 one. In my experience in other things it's normal for them to sell a $10 item in the Uk for £10 and absolutely nobody blinks an eyelid at it. I imagine most of the people on here already do this without knowing they do because they don't look at the comparison on a regular basis.

    In some states the minimum wage is already legally upped to 15$/h, while in UK it is 7.80£ now I believe. While I get to enjoy free healthcare, as a person that is not currently severely ill, I find myself having less disposable income than an American.
    In fact competition for jobs is higher here too. In USA in some states you can still find work having dropped out of highschool, while here it might be difficult to find employment after college. I'm funding my husband's education and it will take us every little scrap of what we got to get him through college and university as otherwise we'll be stuck living on one wage and will not be able to afford a child. Which is a much higher issue than not affording video games.
    Firande wrote: »
    In which case, if the UK deserve to get price hiked because of the dropped currency, I suggest getting angry with people who voted Brexit rather than EA.

    Because those that voted Brexit were selecting "I want to live in poverty and see our currency crash" and not "I want independence for my country and the freedom to make our own laws".

    Another thing - if currency crashes you should either keep the price the same or lower it. Every time when a countries economy gets impacted negatively, it normally means that people have less disposable income, not more. Meaning they're less likely to buy entertainment products in general, let alone at raised prices.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited January 2018
    @mirta000

    Federal minimum wage in the US is $7.25. Only a very few states have state minimums that are higher than the Federal. There is only one out of the fifty states that minimum at $15 and I think that is California. My state still only requires the Federal minimum, although many jobs will start employees at $8 to $9 hourly. I am lucky to afford my gaming hobby with one income and my family of five lives comfortably on around only $36k per year, which is less than the supposed middle class median of around $50k.

    I understand some other countries are negatively effected. The price of the game and the dlc is dependent on multiple factors. Unless you work directly in the industry and know all the factors, your complaints fall on deaf ears.

    By the way, the US dollar can feel like it is worth differing amounts depending which state you live. I know where I live, I can get a 3 bedroom apartment for between $800 To $1500 a month. That same size apartment can cost $2000 or more in other states. I happen to live in a state with a low cost of living.
  • FredraFredra Posts: 42 Member
    LOL.

    Minimum wage in Poland is 9,60 zł/h (after taxes). With new prices of SP, I need work for It a little bit more than 5 hours. After closer look on SP, I'm pretty sure it's not worth it, skipping all economics and politicaly aspects.

    Launday Day:
    At first look we got ugly washing machines and dryers (they look exactly the same. Oh, sorry, not really - one of it get a little drop, second one waves. Besides, copy and paste.). Because list of new items look poor, they add dryers standing on washing machines. One item selling three times. Brilliant!
    (EA do exacly the same with men's hairstyles in Cats and Dogs)
    Next, wall decorations: ironing board, some towels and laundry tare. Still not enough stuff? Merge all those in one and publish as a new item. Brilliant!
    Next, carpets: just do the same what you do with wall decorations. Brilliant!
    Next, armature: Do you see this sink with bucket under it? Publish separated bucket as new item, also bottle from a bucket. Brilliant!

    Game play? Even after ignored bugs is just: meh. Sims doing laundry look cute for the first ten times, after it it's just meh.

    Ok, what about "Luxury Party"? Is it worth 5 hours of my work? I don't think so.
    Maybe "Fitness Stuff"? 41 objects and climbing wall, I can live with out this.
    "Backyard Stuff" and 6 kinds of wind bells - wow.
    "Bowling Night", ehh, I'm tired of it.
    It's a new recipe for making money: one activity, few chairs and several simple deco's (even better if you can duplicate them and name as a new one)

    After looking at this, I feel ther is something terribly wrong with EA logic. Making more, just ok stuff, is no the way for making money. Being greedy is not the way to make more money. I thought that they got that lesson at last year with Battelfron 2, with a lot of upset people after raised Cats and Dogs price.
    If you want to make more money, strat doing your work better


    sorry for my english, I'm still learing.
    ID: granatoweszklo

    Sorry for my english, still learning
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    "It's okay to raise prices because in the UK you can all afford to pay more, therefore you should pay more."

    You know it's only a few months before EA raises its prices in the US too now. Of course since US players currently sit there smirking and doing nothing because it's not their problem, who's going to back them up when it's their turn?

    Trust me, give it a few months and BAM.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top