Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New! Hotfix for ATI Radeon Cards, 8/20/09

A new hotfix is available from AMD which address the issues some users are having with The Sims 3:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Hotfixfor3DGames.aspx

Please note the following:
Note! This driver is provided as is and is not supported by AMD. It has not completed full AMD testing, and is only recommended for users experiencing the particular issue described above.

-Big Guy-

Comments

• rocketgirl080rocketgirl080 Posts: 7 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Hi! I had issues running the sims 3 with my video card (ati radeon 9550 / x1050 series), the game would crash as soon as the neighborhood screen came up, will this possibly fix that?
    thanks!
  • Checksky3Checksky3 Posts: 906 Member
    edited August 2009
    I was wondering if this is for the mobility graphics of those series of video cards, because i installed it and it doesn't work. Does anyone why it won't work or how to properly install it.
    Origin ID: CuddlesKatie
  • pekulikepekulike Posts: 171 Member
    edited August 2009
    This hotfix dosen't seem too good for the AGP cards either, seems like it is only for PCIE cards in those specified card ranges(ATI 2000,3000,4000.)

I found that it keeps moving the display settings down to 16bit instead of using 32bit through the CCC centre. and does nothing better for graphics quality while playing the game.(for crashes, I wouldn't know as do not have any.)

I am now using an older version of the 9.8 hotfix driver meant for AGP.

• spelunkerspelunker Posts: 145 New Member
    edited August 2009
    pekulike wrote:
    This hotfix dosen't seem too good for the AGP cards either, seems like it is only for PCIE cards in those specified card ranges(ATI 2000,3000,4000.)

I found that it keeps moving the display settings down to 16bit instead of using 32bit through the CCC centre. and does nothing better for graphics quality while playing the game.(for crashes, I wouldn't know as do not have any.)

I am now using an older version of the 9.8 hotfix driver meant for AGP.

I seem to recall ATI having issues with the ID device part of their driver packages about a year+ ago. Right about the release of the 3870HD, at least that's where I met up with it. What a headache that was. After much fruitless searching I tripped over some good info -There was something about the updates lacking the means to correctly ID the interface of the cards correclty. Me brain is rusty, but methinks it effected AGP ID more than PCI-e. It was long ago corrected of course, but perhaps that's what's occurring here again, that they haven't done a very good job with the AGP specific data in the update. *shrug*
  • catmom1987catmom1987 Posts: 440 Member
    edited August 2009
    Will this Hotfix correct my problem below? I have an ATI Radeon 3850 card.

Sometimes, about 70% of the time, when i first start playing, the edges of all of my objects are smooth, but after about 30 minutes of gameplay the edges will become very jagged, including the lines in the street and sims arms. If i save/exit my game and then re-start the game, the problem goes away and everything is smooth again. There's sometimes after re-starting the game that i can play for hours with no more problems and there's also sometimes where it keeps turning jagged after awhile of playing.

I have the smooth edges slider in game options all the way on high and anti-aliasing in my CCC is turned off.

• Checksky3Checksky3 Posts: 906 Member
    edited August 2009
    I have very pixelated shadows and bad AA as well. I downloaded the hotfix but when i did it didn;t ask me to restart and nothing was changed, I don;t know why.
    Origin ID: CuddlesKatie
  • GKRTrevGKRTrev Posts: 3 New Member
    edited August 2009
    wow i hope this fixxes my problem of blacked out sims in live mode
  • GKRTrevGKRTrev Posts: 3 New Member
    edited August 2009
    nope didnt fix it
  • panaikhanpanaikhan Posts: 384 New Member
    edited September 2009
    GKRTrev wrote:
    wow i hope this fixxes my problem of blacked out sims in live mode

I have only had issues with blacked-out sims, if I have been experimenting with textures or skins, and the Sim had one I have subsequently removed.
  • ShortyBooShortyBoo Posts: 160 Member
    edited September 2009
    I was hoping it would fix my issue with the screen turning black and the computer freezing, but it just says it fixes "graphic corruption" so I guess not. I have a Radeon HD 4850 I bought in February just to play TS3 on, but because of the black screen problem, I can't use it. I've been using my old Radeon x1900, which doesn't freeze my computer, but the graphic textures look pretty bad even on high settings.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • simaidan117simaidan117 Posts: 42 New Member
    edited September 2009
    I have the same problem as "Shortyboo" only i have an ATI Radeon HD3850, like you i got this graphics card especially fot the sims 3. It works brilliantly for about 20-30 mins then crashes and screen goes blank and i need to restart the computer, i dont know why this is happening but it really frustratin so im using my old Nvidia Geforce FX5200, this works but just and slowly and on really low graphics. What with the new ep coming out, they need to focus on gettin 1 problem sorted out before creating another! this is probably no help to anyone but i just want EA/Sims 3 team to try and solve this problem and keep us up to date on how the issue could be resolved and what there doin about it!!
    Please EA/TS3 FIX IT ASAP!!
  • CheranBCheranB Posts: 54 Member
    edited September 2009
    I tried this fix along withupdating drivers and running as administrator. My game worked great till 2 weeks ago and now nothing. I did all the updating after it quite working. I have ATI Radeon 3200HD. I tried all the fixes that tech support sent then they decided that the video card was not supported so tough. Now it stops working at the splash screen and I can't play at all. This game had been working great for 2 monthes without crashing even once. Anyone know what is going on??? I am getting desperate. I bought this compter just for this game.
    Help Please. I also dumped all folders and unistalled and reinstalled.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • BrowdunBrowdun Posts: 9 New Member
    edited September 2009
    I have the same issue as Simaiden and Shortyboo and Cheran, but it didnt used to happen, it only started recently after the latest patch

its not crashing to the desktop it completely crashes the computer someone please have an answer

much thanks

• aizjanikaaizjanika Posts: 56 Member
    edited September 2009
    I tried this and it didn't work. The install failed. It actually messed up my computer. My husband had to go in an uninstall all the graphics card stuff, then download and reinstall everything. He spent hours researching this and then figuring out how to do it. Pain in the butt.

The game is still crashing, except now it's crashing every 15 - 30 minutes of game play (even if I leave the game paused and leave the room) instead of once or twice a day or after at least a few hours of play.

It seems to be just the graphics that are crashing. I can usually still hear the Sims music playing or whatever, but my screen is just all colored stripes and I can't access anything. I have to shut down the computer manually and then turn it on again.
  • Cjdamon042Cjdamon042 Posts: 133 Member
    edited September 2009
    Not sure if this is related, but my nVidia 8800GT 512MB died recently so I had to buy a new graphics card. I got an ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB (which is my first time with an ATI product) and the game looks different in terms of shadows. I understand there are going to be some differences as ATI and nVidia are completely different, but are the shadows supposed to appear pixellated on ATI graphics cards? Everything is set to high so it's not due to low settings or anything. If it is because I'm using an ATI card, I guess I'll just have to get used to it (it sucks though), but if there is some kind of fix or whatever, any help would be appreciated.

Also, the game lags a significant amount more than my 8800GT did, even though my new card is supposedly more powerful. So what's up with that?
  • chakra0133chakra0133 Posts: 2 New Member
    edited September 2009
    I'm having the same problems after the last patch I'm showing blackout crashes, can still hear sounds in the back ground....the crash is every 5mins. into the game, i also notice one section of the game that i get hugh white mountain peaks blocks in the game, the game also moves slow, it takes a long time to load the funiture in furnished homes when game is in play mode...it appears when i click for my sim to do a task the screen blacks out for a few seconds and color lines of the game appears and it may go back to game mode for a few more mins of play and black out again this may go on for couple of plays and then the permenate black screen appears again with sound in the back ground just the visuals isn't there...i agree with one of the members on this forum before you create another game, expansion paks, lets take care of these problems with this one first...i am impressed with the game i just wish i could play it longer please...i would have report this earlier but i thought it was just me.....peace :?:
  • Summersethomes5Summersethomes5 Posts: 450 Member
    edited September 2009
    I had the same problem after the patch my game would run slower and after it crashed I lost my legacy family so I had to uninstall and reinstall without the patchs.

my game is back to normal now with just a little bit of lag time but Im rocking a 4 year old emachine W3507 with updated grapics card and more memory so thats to be expected

all my problems happened after the last patch and after I uninstalled it now I can't get any downloads to install but since I can still play Im not too worried about that
  • jlrs1963jlrs1963 Posts: 79 Member
    edited September 2009
    I came in to post a new thread about a problem I just started having this weekend. I don't know if the fix in this thread will work or not. Just after the game gets loaded and sometimes not all the way,it crashes and I get this error message:

VPU Recover has reset your graphics accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands

Have any of you gotten this message and do you know what it is and how to fix it?

I have an ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT card.
  • cdn82cdn82 Posts: 2 New Member
    edited September 2009
    I've got a Laptop that's a bit more then 4 years old now (craziness I know), and I have graphics issues.
    Crashes the computer outright.
    I have an ATI X600
    128 Video Memory
    1024ram
    3.2GHz P4

I had thought when I bought the game, that it should be able to support it. I'm pretty sure it was up to par on the specifications that they listed for the requirements to play the game. Looked at that before buying it.

Anyone have any thoughts to help me out?

thanks
  • SimsAddiction968SimsAddiction968 Posts: 1,218 Member
    edited September 2009
    jlrs1963 wrote:
    I came in to post a new thread about a problem I just started having this weekend. I don't know if the fix in this thread will work or not. Just after the game gets loaded and sometimes not all the way,it crashes and I get this error message:

VPU Recover has reset your graphics accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands

Have any of you gotten this message and do you know what it is and how to fix it?

I am getting the same message. Along with the black screen after minutes of playing. I have latest drivers and freshly formated system and reinstalled game.
    I spent the money on collectors edition and haven't been able to play for more than 5 hours straight. I'm ****** to say it nicely.

Edit: ati radeon x1650
    HI! My name is SimsAddiction968
    I discovered Sims 1 summer 2001 when my youngest was 1 yr old.
    I bought all Eps & Sps for Sims 2 as they were released.
    I even bought Sims games for our consoles and handhelds.
    I have bought all Sims 3 Eps & Sps as the were released.
    I have held my grandson while playing. He is now 5 and plays FreePlay.
    I have pre ordered Sims 4. I have the Sims 2 mouse and waiting on Sims 4 mouse.
    I have a Freezer Bunny tattoo and a bracelet tattoo of the Sims 2 aspirations.

YES! I am addicted to The Sims no matter the form.
  • jlrs1963jlrs1963 Posts: 79 Member
    edited September 2009
    jlrs1963 wrote:

I am getting the same message. Along with the black screen after minutes of playing. I have latest drivers and freshly formated system and reinstalled game.
    I spent the money on collectors edition and haven't been able to play for more than 5 hours straight. I'm ****** to say it nicely.

Edit: ati radeon x1650

I'm not getting a black screen a few minutes after playing, but I am getting a lot of black spots everywhere. I too, can't play as long as I used to, and either have to quit and restart the computer or just quit playing altogether for the time being.
  • KimmyJeanKimmyJean Posts: 72 New Member
    edited October 2009
    I am having this issue, too, and the fix did not work.

I can play for a little while but, like today, I started a game and completely changed up the house I bought, got groceries and books. The screen went black. I can hear the music in the background but I can't do anything to get the picture back. Nothing was saved. I had to start over.

I have to cold boot to get my computer to work again. I just bought this game a few weeks ago and I enjoy playing it but not knowing when it will black out on me is very frustrating.
  • CassiopiaCassiopia Posts: 44 New Member
    edited October 2009
    Try googling your card 'name' and add crashing to desktop or something like that. My old Radeon card did that and when I googled it it turned out that it was happening to heaps of people, not just on The Sims. Eventually someone suggested turning a setting off, and after that it didn't crash anymore. (Sorry, I can't remember what setting, but chances are that wouldn't help your specific cards). Anyway, my point is, if you google it, you can often find the answer and fix yourself.
  • DrakahDrakah Posts: 68 Member
    edited October 2009
    I have an ATI 4870, and I just finished upgrading to Windows 7.
    Microsoft installed its own ATI driver for my card, which left me with corrupted text graphics when opening the bookshelf to pick a book using the "Read..." function.

It looks like the new ATI drivers 9.10 has the Sims 3 fix, as well as 9.9 too. I am using 9.10 drivers and everything seems fine now :)
  • xerosscm98xerosscm98 Posts: 4
    edited November 2009
    excuse me,

Anyone has idea on the login and password?

I wanna download this hotfix, however it needed login so i had tried my AMD ATI register account but it didn't work at all.......OMG, what kinds of account n password it means?
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top