The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 Stopped Working

I just did the new update then I went to play, but when I choose my saved game it only showed 4 of the world's. Then when I chose a world it goes to the map but I get the Sims 4 has stopped working message then it shuts down. I had played this passed Sunday so I don't know what's wrong or what to do. Thank you for your time and help.

Comments

• james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Do you have mods/cc?
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,569 Member
    Hello
    If you have cc/mods in your game, move your mods folder to the desktop. Then start the game and see if the issues are still there. If it has helped with the issues, put your mods/ CC back into the newly generated mods folder that is in the sims 4 folder one by one or in batches and testing after each one to see which is the causes of the problem.

If the issues still remain, repairing the game may help. To do that, go to games library in Origin, right click on the sims 4 picture and click repair
  • swellowsswellows Posts: 7 New Member
    Hello, I am having a similar problem since the update, but with a few caviats.
    after the update installed, i played for a few minutes before realizing i needed to go grab a few more mods for something. post-update, game working fine.
    i downloaded a bunch of mods (more than i originally intended heh) and game would open and then display white screen/not respond/force close. Usually if the mods are causing trouble the game simply does not open for me. so i go and take out all the mods i just downloaded (all of them) but the game is still doing the white screen thing! I unloaded all the mods and then reloaded in a new mod folder, and while they were gone the game ran fine (as suspected). but when i put everything back, (to before today when i installed the mods) it won't load anymore. but it loaded a few hours ago after i had downloaded the update. I have quite a lot of mods- about 1900, but i have heard consistently that people can keep up to 6-7k before the game stops running. how can i fix this...?
    swellows wrote: »
    Hello, I am having a similar problem since the update, but with a few caviats.
    after the update installed, i played for a few minutes before realizing i needed to go grab a few more mods for something. post-update, game working fine.
    i downloaded a bunch of mods (more than i originally intended heh) and game would open and then display white screen/not respond/force close. Usually if the mods are causing trouble the game simply does not open for me. so i go and take out all the mods i just downloaded (all of them) but the game is still doing the white screen thing! I unloaded all the mods and then reloaded in a new mod folder, and while they were gone the game ran fine (as suspected). but when i put everything back, (to before today when i installed the mods) it won't load anymore. but it loaded a few hours ago after i had downloaded the update. I have quite a lot of mods- about 1900, but i have heard consistently that people can keep up to 6-7k before the game stops running. how can i fix this...?

Hello @swellows
    It sounds like you have broken mods. You will need to find the mods/cc that are causing the issues.
    Because you have a lot of mods/cc, use the 50/50 method. Put half of your mods/cc into the mods folder then start the game and see if the issue is still there. If the issue is not there, then you know that those items work okay with the game. Then you can test the other half of your cc/mods.
    If the issue is still there with the first half, you will need to keep testing them to see what is causing the problem. Then you will need to test the second half of your cc/mods too.
  • swellowsswellows Posts: 7 New Member
    > Hello @swellows
    > It sounds like you have broken mods. You will need to find the mods/cc that are causing the issues.
    > Because you have a lot of mods/cc, use the 50/50 method. Put half of your mods/cc into the mods folder then start the game and see if the issue is still there. If the issue is not there, then you know that those items work okay with the game. Then you can test the other half of your cc/mods.
    > If the issue is still there with the first half, you will need to keep testing them to see what is causing the problem. Then you will need to test the second half of your cc/mods too.

but i dont understand why it worked directly after i updated the game, but not after i added and then removed the mods. is there a reason for that?
    swellows wrote: »
    > Hello @swellows
    > It sounds like you have broken mods. You will need to find the mods/cc that are causing the issues.
    > Because you have a lot of mods/cc, use the 50/50 method. Put half of your mods/cc into the mods folder then start the game and see if the issue is still there. If the issue is not there, then you know that those items work okay with the game. Then you can test the other half of your cc/mods.
    > If the issue is still there with the first half, you will need to keep testing them to see what is causing the problem. Then you will need to test the second half of your cc/mods too.

but i dont understand why it worked directly after i updated the game, but not after i added and then removed the mods. is there a reason for that?

Sometimes odd things can occur with mods/cc. Items that were working previously, then cause issues. It would be best to use the 50/50 method to work out the cause of the issues that you are now having.
  • Sakura1291979Sakura1291979 Posts: 66 Member
    I don't have any of those things in my games.
    I don't have any of those things in my games.

Hello
    Try repairing the game and see if that helps.

Try playing the game in windowed mode.

Sometimes having a large amount of items in the sims inventories and household inventory can cause issues. Try removing some of the items from the inventories and see if that helps.

Try resetting your sims 4 folder and see if that helps. To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated. Exit the game and then copy back the "options.ini" or " options " file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders from the desktop sims 4 folder,
  • WilCat74WilCat74 Posts: 14 New Member
    I am also having issued with the game 'stopped working' after this last October update. It was working fine before the update even with mods & cc. I took out all cc and mods and tried running it without and the problem still persisted. I reset the sims 4 folder as well (as suggested above) and this also didn't work. I have noticed that the game stops working when any of my sims has to go to work then the game freezes and stops working. Any ideas what may be happening?
    WilCat74 wrote: »
    I am also having issued with the game 'stopped working' after this last October update. It was working fine before the update even with mods & cc. I took out all cc and mods and tried running it without and the problem still persisted. I reset the sims 4 folder as well (as suggested above) and this also didn't work. I have noticed that the game stops working when any of my sims has to go to work then the game freezes and stops working. Any ideas what may be happening?

Hello @WilCat74
    I am sorry that you are having this issue,
    Repairing the game may help. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair.

Try lowering your graphics settings, and your in game screen resolution and see if that helps.

Make sure that your graphics drivers are uptodate.

Sometimes having a large amount of items in the sims inventories and household inventory can cause issues. Try removing some of the items from the inventories and see if that helps.

Try playing in windowed mode.
  • Beachmaster1234Beachmaster1234 Posts: 3 New Member
    Hello. I have been playing the Sims 4 for a while now and something recently happened with my game. Last night i reset my computer, because of some Bluetooth problems. After i did that i opened the sims and all of my saves and custom content disappeared. I checked some help pages and forums but couldn't find the exact answer. When i went to documents/electronic arts/sims 4, and clicked on saves, they were all there. Also my mods were still there but nothing will show up in the actual game. My tray file was full of stuff but i don't know what that means. I am mostly concerned about my custom content because i can just remake my households. Everything was working fine before i reset my laptop last night. Can someone help me?
    @rosemow Thank you. Well, i've tried everything. Still stops working when a sims goes to work. I've repaired every time I restart. There is nothing in my inventories. Lowered graphics. Playing in windows mode. No mods or cc. Tried resetting the folders. Still happening. I don't know what else to do. It seems like the last update to the game did something and i just can't fix it and now can not play for very long without it stopping. :(
    edited October 2017
    Hello. I have been playing the Sims 4 for a while now and something recently happened with my game. Last night i reset my computer, because of some Bluetooth problems. After i did that i opened the sims and all of my saves and custom content disappeared. I checked some help pages and forums but couldn't find the exact answer. When i went to documents/electronic arts/sims 4, and clicked on saves, they were all there. Also my mods were still there but nothing will show up in the actual game. My tray file was full of stuff but i don't know what that means. I am mostly concerned about my custom content because i can just remake my households. Everything was working fine before i reset my laptop last night. Can someone help me?
    Hello @Beachmaster1234
    Try doing what is suggested in this link thread and see if that helps your issue
    http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/save-games-disappearing/

Also, go to game options and check that the " enable custom content and mods" button is ticked, which is found in :
    Options | Other | Enable Custom Content and Mods. If it isn't ticked, do that.Also check that the script mods allowed button is ticked as well. Exit the game. Then go back into the game again and see if the cc appears then .
    @rosemow Thank you. Well, i've tried everything. Still stops working when a sims goes to work. I've repaired every time I restart. There is nothing in my inventories. Lowered graphics. Playing in windows mode. No mods or cc. Tried resetting the folders. Still happening. I don't know what else to do. It seems like the last update to the game did something and i just can't fix it and now can not play for very long without it stopping. :(

Hello
    I am sorry that you are having this issue,
    Try having your sim quit his work. Then have him rejoin the work and see if that helps the issue.

If the issue remain, try starting a fresh new save game and test to see if the issue is occurring in that new save game also.

If the issue occurs in the new save game also, could you please post your DxDiag info here.
    To gather a DXDIAG on your computer, do this :
    Press and hold the Windows key and the letter R on your keyboard
    You will see a Run box in the lower-left corner of your screen
    Type dxdiag in the text field
    Click OK
    Click the Save All Information button, found on the bottom of the DXDIAG report
    Then copy and paste the information from where you saved it, to pastebin https://pastebin.com
    and post the link to the file here
    You will need to break up the pastebin link though by putting h.t.t.p. instead , because you are unable to post links because you are a new member.
    @rosemow

Thank you for the website. I tried everything on it and it didnt work. The only file in electronic arts is my sims4 file i have all my saves and custom content on but my actual sims game is not reading it! I have tried looking for a different sims file somewhere but i do not know which file the game is reading. Im very confused because i didnt change anything last night except for resetting my computer. I have no idea what the game is trying to read but its not my sims file in electronic arts. I also tried making a copy of my saves and putting it somewhere else and then making a sim and then exiting the game. That didnt work either. Any other advice?
    oh, and also the custom content and script mods button is checked. cc still not appearing
    @rosemow

Thank you for the website. I tried everything on it and it didnt work. The only file in electronic arts is my sims4 file i have all my saves and custom content on but my actual sims game is not reading it! I have tried looking for a different sims file somewhere but i do not know which file the game is reading. Im very confused because i didnt change anything last night except for resetting my computer. I have no idea what the game is trying to read but its not my sims file in electronic arts. I also tried making a copy of my saves and putting it somewhere else and then making a sim and then exiting the game. That didnt work either. Any other advice?

Hello
    Do you use One Drive? If you do, this can cause issues. Try seeing if there is a sims 4 folder there. It would be best to unsync the Sims 4 folder and One Drive if you do.

If you don’t use One Drive, try using the search bar on your computer to see if you can find another sims 4 folder or “ tray” or “ mods” folder that may be being used.
    @rosemow Quick Update: I did both as you suggested. I quit my sims' job and rejoined. I also saved as a new file and things seem to be going ok so far! omg. I will let you know if it continues on working as normal, but so far been playing for 20 mins and it's doing ok. Fingers crossed! Thank you soooo much for your help if this works!
    @rosemow Quick Update: I did both as you suggested. I quit my sims' job and rejoined. I also saved as a new file and things seem to be going ok so far! omg. I will let you know if it continues on working as normal, but so far been playing for 20 mins and it's doing ok. Fingers crossed! Thank you soooo much for your help if this works!

That is great! :) You’re welcome.
  • PinarakpinarPinarakpinar Posts: 4 New Member
    hey guys I have a problem about the game. I have the base game and 4 expansion pack, 3 game pack and 7 stuff pack. all of them are original, I bought them from origin. I have no cc or mods. I have just 15 gb on my disc C so since yesterday it keeps saying that I have insufficient memory for the game when I opened the sims 4. I ignore it and continue to play. Then about 10 minutes later, the screen freeze and it says that the sims 4 stopped working. this happens every single time. especially it happens while downloading a house when I try to place the house from the gallery. I don't know if it's keep doing this just because of my small storage in the disc C or if it is a software problem. I think if it is because of the insufficient memory it wouldn't close the game just like that.
    hey guys I have a problem about the game. I have the base game and 4 expansion pack, 3 game pack and 7 stuff pack. all of them are original, I bought them from origin. I have no cc or mods. I have just 15 gb on my disc C so since yesterday it keeps saying that I have insufficient memory for the game when I opened the sims 4. I ignore it and continue to play. Then about 10 minutes later, the screen freeze and it says that the sims 4 stopped working. this happens every single time. especially it happens while downloading a house when I try to place the house from the gallery. I don't know if it's keep doing this just because of my small storage in the disc C or if it is a software problem. I think if it is because of the insufficient memory it wouldn't close the game just like that.

Hello @Pinarakpinar
    Could you please post your DxDiag info here.
    To gather a DXDIAG on your computer, do this :
    Press and hold the Windows key and the letter R on your keyboard
    You will see a Run box in the lower-left corner of your screen
    Type dxdiag in the text field
    Click OK
    Click the Save All Information button, found on the bottom of the DXDIAG report
    Then copy and paste the information from where you saved it, to pastebin https://pastebin.com
    and post the link to the file here

You will need to break up the pastebin link though by putting h.t.t.p. instead of http, because you are unable to post links because you are a new member.
    I'm gonna do what you said but how will this help, can you give some info about it? what does this program do? @rosemow
    I'm gonna do what you said but how will this help, can you give some info about it? what does this program do? @rosemow

Hello @Pinarakpinar
    Posting your dxdiag information will show the hardware system details of your computer and this allows Tech simmers to look at it, and suggest ways to help with your issues, They can see how well your computer can handle the game and packs.
    The DxDiag doesn’t do anything, it just shows information which can then lead to help based on the information.
    h.t.t.p.s://pastebin.com/ff5drxgX

here, thank you already :)
    https://pastebin.com/ff5drxgX

here, thank you already :)

https://pastebin.com/ff5drxgX

Hello @Pinarakpinar
    I am so sorry :( but your computer doesn’t meet the recommended system requirements to play the game. Also your computer is using 32 bit version of windows which can cause issues. You have an integrated processor video card. It is using the same computer ram along with the game , origin, windows and other programs that you have on your computer, and that can cause your issues. You also don’t have much free hard drive space.
    If you have another computer with higher computer specifications it would be best to play the game on that.
    I am so sorry :(