Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

It looks..c h o p p y

No offense but the shadows look amateurish. It is too choppy @SimGuruGraham

Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?

Comments

• jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    It's not finished. He said in an earlier tweet they will keep working on items till release.
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    It looks fine IMO :-)
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    It's not finished. He said in an earlier tweet they will keep working on items till release.

Oh he did? I thought they were in polishing stage

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • jenba72jenba72 Posts: 44 Member
    That's how tree shadows animate in game, too. It's probably just a limitation of the game engine.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2017
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    No offense but the shadows look amateurish. It is too choppy @SimGuruGraham

What do you mean? When the shadows move they have a little glitch/hitch with the animation? or the shadows themselves and how they look on the ground, because looking at them they seem to match clothes on the line when sun would cast a shadow. And if it were me I would be more concerned about the jagged edge of the pole...like smooth edges aren't turned on. But the little hitch is not present on the actual 'clothes' moving but only when the shadow sways/moves.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Savage_Patch_KiddSavage_Patch_Kidd Posts: 2,937 Member
    edited September 2017
    I fixed it for ya! <3

Laundry// choppywave

ImpeccableEarlyAmericanrobin-size_restricted.gif
    tumblr_oy1xa2eHV31uvsi7jo2_1280.gif
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »

Oh he did? I thought they were in polishing stage

It's not releasing until early next year, so it's still about 3-4 months out; pretty sure they don't want to have to go back and patch graphics like they did with the ball pit.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    edited October 2017
    I fixed it for ya! <3

memz O V E R L O A D

Laundry// choppywave

high quality memz
    Post edited by Wulfsimmer on

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    I'm completely lost. What looks choppy?
  • HowGreatThouArtHowGreatThouArt Posts: 1,662 Member
    Are you talking about the shadow jumping bug? Certain graphics cards have this problem (like mine!).
    aSE16f8.gif
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    I fixed it for ya! <3

memz O V E R L O A D

Laundry// choppywave

That's making me seasick! :#

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2017
    I am not seeing any choppiness or jagged edges - so I suppose it depends on your pc then. The animations are smooth and the pole shadows are nice and straight for me. Well in the one put up by Graham anyway. LOL.

It is like gentle breezes on a cool comfortable summer day.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    edited October 2017
    Shadows are choppy and some parts of shadows are jagged for a very long time now, so I don't know why people think it's a new thing with this object.

@Writin_Reg

Can I ask you your system specs?

I ask this, because I am running The Sims 4 on a high end gaming PC, and yes, the shadows are jumpy for me(Like in that .GIF) , so are some shadow edges jagged.

Personally it doesn't really bother me, but it's strange anyway.

Also strange I only have this problem with The Sims 4 and not in all the other games that I play. It's just a Sims 4 feature I guess.

They must have changed something, because when the game first came out, the shadows were indeed smooth, but it has been not like that for a very very very long time already.

For other Simmers: Jagged edges on objects (some windows also have jagged edges if you don't fiddle around with your settings) I solved by using the AMD ''SuperSampling AA'' method.
    Post edited by rudy8292 on
  • rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    edited October 2017
    Double Post.
  • KrispyNickyBKrispyNickyB Posts: 167 Member
    I honestly didn't think it looked that bad. Granted, I'm apprehensive with each stuff pack and release that it'll be what happened to Sims 3 all over again.
    Join me on Youtube !
    First Videos launching on October 3rd
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    its just a draft by the time the stuffpack comes out the finish clothes line might be diffrent than the draft
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    Shadows are choppy and some parts of shadows are jagged for a very long time now, so I don't know why people think it's a new thing with this object.

Writin_Reg

Can I ask you your system specs?

I ask this, because I am running The Sims 4 on a high end gaming PC, and yes, the shadows are jumpy for me(Like in that .GIF) , so are some shadow edges jagged.

Personally it doesn't really bother me, but it's strange anyway.

Also strange I only have this problem with The Sims 4 and not in all the other games that I play. It's just a Sims 4 feature I guess.

They must have changed something, because when the game first came out, the shadows were indeed smooth, but it has been not like that for a very very very long time already.

For other Simmers: Jagged edges on objects (some windows also have jagged edges if you don't fiddle around with your settings) I solved by using the AMD ''SuperSampling AA'' method.

It happened after they added the indoor lighting patch.
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
    Also what Writin_Reg said doesn't make sense. It's not our PCs that's the problem cuz we're just all looking at the same gif. I think she didn't look at the shadow which is the one that is choppy/jumpy. Everything else in the gif has a smooth animation.
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member
    Looks fine to me. It's quite mesmerizing, watching the clothes sway gently in the breeze. Takes me back to a time when I dreaded wash day as a young girl. :)
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Hmm. Maybe I'm not seeing what you're seeing, but to me, it looks like the "hitch" may just be the gif not looping entirely seamlessly. So the shadow looks like it's a little jolty because of a non-smooth transition between the end of the gif and the start of it playing again.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
    edited October 2017
    Triplis wrote: »
    Hmm. Maybe I'm not seeing what you're seeing, but to me, it looks like the "hitch" may just be the gif not looping entirely seamlessly. So the shadow looks like it's a little jolty because of a non-smooth transition between the end of the gif and the start of it playing again.

Yep - that is what I see too - other wise smooth as glass-

Dekay The shadows are not jagged for me.

My husband and I build our own gaming systems every 2-3 years- This ones an 8 core black edition 4.6 (tunable to 4.9) ghz super cooled gaming desktop on an Asus Z board with 16 gigs of high speed gaming ram - I presently have dual special edition Asus factory overclocked 750 ti video cards installed - but I also have a 960 ti single card I sometimes use instead - which I am not presently using. I don't have jagged lines or choppiness with either set up and why I suspected it might be certain systems. I have several friends that have even faster high end i7's and at least two that I know of have also complained of jagged lines in their shadows, one of which also runs a 960 ti card. That is what I was getting at.

In dreams - I LIVE!

Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Triplis wrote: »

Yep - that is what I see too - other wise smooth as glass-

Dekay The shadows are not jagged for me.

My husband and I build our own gaming systems every 2-3 years- This ones an 8 core black edition 4.6 (tunable to 4.9) ghz super cooled gaming desktop on an Asus Z board with 16 gigs of high speed gaming ram - I presently have dual special edition Asus factory overclocked 750 ti video cards installed - but I also have a 960 ti single card I sometimes use instead - which I am not presently using. I don't have jagged lines or choppiness with either set up and why I suspected it might be certain systems. I have several friends that have even faster high end i7's and at least two that I know of have also complained of jagged lines in their shadows, one of which also runs a 960 ti card. That is what I was getting at.

I think our definitions on 'choppy' is different here. :sweat_smile:

The shadows are not jagged but I think some of us are referring to the jumping of the shadow. If you watch the gif, the shadow seems to be in one position for a few seconds and then it jumps to the next spot. And then it jumps back cuz it's a gif loop.

The shadows are jumpy when played with the lighting option on high/very high. It is smooth and doesn't jump on low/medium.

I have a 960m and I get jagged shadows as well but I realized it depends on the angle your camera is looking at the shadow. You could try to look at the shadows of the trees and bushes in the game. They are very blocky/pixelated most of the time. The shadows of buildings are usually quite smooth and straight.
    FwDXXd5.gif
    edited October 2017
    Ummm I am sorry Dekay but I do not have the shadow jump or jaggedness. There is a very minor slight jump at the end of the gif when it rerolls to restart as Triplis mentions - but otherwise it looks like clothes hanging on a line swaying slightly in a light breeze. The shadows are smooth, sharp and clear.

I run my pc with All settings as high as they will go at all times and in Sims that is Ultra. My lighting is always on Very high in Sims 4. I love the new lighting personally. I know what you are talking about seeing I saw videos that people posted on You tube with jagged or blocky shadows and the jumping shadows - none of which I have at all in the game or in this gif.

I do wonder if it could be just laptops getting the issue - as I stated I run a gaming desktop - not a laptop - and possibly why I don't see issues.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited October 2017
    I like how we're in the development phase, a user has merely raised an issue that bothers them personally, and the majority of the thread are statements of "well I like it."

Guys, this is the development stage. If a user dislikes something, they should absolutely speak up. It does no harm if the shadows improve, even if OP were the only person on planet Earth that disliked them. I don't mean to be rude, but I don't see how these "I don't see the problem" or "well I like it" commentary is contributing to the topic.
    Ummm I am sorry Dekay but I do not have the shadow jump or jaggedness. There is a very minor slight jump at the end of the gif when it rerolls to restart as Triplis mentions - but otherwise it looks like clothes hanging on a line swaying slightly in a light breeze. The shadows are smooth, sharp and clear.

About 3-4 months ago I bought a new computer that - to my knowledge - was the second-best on the market. Found it cheap and grabbed it ASAP. I have maxed settings and a complete gaming setup: 144Hz monitor, top-of-the-line graphics card, and system specs tuned for better performance.

I get the exact same shadow jumping as everyone else here. Either you've got some mod that fixes that issue and you've forgotten it's even installed, you found some PC setting that alleviates the problem, it's a problem with particular graphics cards, or this whole thing is a work of fiction. Thing is though, if the Gurus are posting a video with jumpy shadows, it's probably universal. I'm sure if they could get smooth shadows in a simple manner, they would, because it's a much better presentation from a marketing perspective. A fix is possible, but to my knowledge I don't think there's any particular setting, graphics card, computer or other such hardware tweak that universally negates the issue; you have to personally fumble around with .ini settings (or let a modder do it) to get that result, and even then it has side effects.

There's only so much a good PC can do for you when the limitation (jumpy shadows) is hard-coded into the game itself. Having an excellent PC with an excellent graphics card will not change that; you have to manually find the lines of scripting that affect the shadows and change them appropriately.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"