Friday Highlights for September 21st are here! Head over here to check them out!
September 6 - It's Patch Day for The Sims 4 on Consoles Patch notes here.
Xbox One September 13 Patch notes are here.

Plumbob Pictures Challenge

phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 187 Member
edited August 2017 in The Sims 4 Lots
I0EF38V.png?1

U5yYcnp.png?1
The soundstage is ready for your creativity! Download the soundstage shell here and build a set. You aren't required to download the backlot or the superstar trailer, but you can if you want. I'd love to see any stories you make with them!

KhUTgSe.png?1
  • No Custom Content! Your films should reach as many Simmers as possible.
  • In-game cheats are allowed, like bb.moveobjects, bb.showhiddenobjects and bb.ignoregameplayunlocksentitlement.
  • You may not add windows to the outside walls, and existing doors/arches may not be removed.
  • Do not change the wall height! Your entry must fit properly inside the Plumbob Pictures Backlot!
  • Build your set entirely inside the soundstage shell. You can build rooms or partial rooms inside, but your entry must be uploaded as one room, and not as a lot.
Tips for uploading
Here is a tutorial on how to put enclosed rooms into your entry but still be able to upload the whole room shell.
It's a good idea to double check that the whole room is saved by placing it again after you upload it to your library.
  • You can submit more than one entry per challenge, but only one entry per person can qualify for a prize! The rest should be Unofficial.

5hOuVpg.png?1

The Plumbob Pictures Challenge is for builders and designers of any skill level. If you're a beginner and your concept is amazing, for example, you can still win an award! If you don't want to play for awards, or if you miss a deadline, you can still submit something as Unofficial. Since I'm the awards committee at the moment, everything I submit will be Unofficial. I'm in this for the ideas!

q2NMA0k.png?1

Enter to win a signature banner and the coveted Plummy Award! There are infinite categories, including:
  • Best Base Game
  • Best Pictures
  • Playability
  • Set Design
  • Film Concept
  • Quality Control
  • Best Actor(s)
  • Costume Design
Plummy Award winners recieve a Maxis nomination in the Maxis Thread.

Comments

• phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 187 Member
    edited August 2017
    @SimGuruDrake I reposted this post a couple extra times >.<

Would you please delete this post?
    Post edited by phantasmkiss on
    edited August 2017

edited August 2017

edited February 9
    Challenge 2: Romance (or Not)

OV1d9sy.png

Due Date: Wednesday, 28th February

In honor of Valentine's Day, let's make some pictures of love! Maybe a classic romance or romantic comedy is your thing, or maybe a tragic, doomed relationship. Maybe a thriller about obsession or maybe love that isn't romantic at all. Whatever you come up with, be creative and have fun!

Budget: Unlimited

Room Type: Career & Misc

Use these hashtags for your entry: #PlumbobSet #Romance

o7ZZqEq.png?2
    challenge no:
    Origin ID:
    Beginner, Experienced, Advanced or Unofficial:
    Gallery Name:
    Gallery Link:
    About the movie: Is your movie a comedy? Drama? Romance? Thriller? If you've got a plot, tell us about it!
    About the set: Anything else you'd like to say about your build
    Images (2 - 4 images):
    At least 1 as a Film Still, for your banner!
    Example:
    tumblr_inline_oq61yqHbrf1ukb6nu_540.png
    tumblr_inline_oq61v01f111ukb6nu_540.png
    tumblr_inline_oq6218uGp41ukb6nu_540.png

Download the soundstage here and build your set entirely inside it. You can build rooms or partial rooms inside, but your entry must be uploaded as a room, and not a lot.

Note: You don't need to make a rest area for your Sims. There's one in the Plumbob Pictures Backlot!

el6NpNW.png?2
    Q. What's that strip of lighter-colored flooring?
    A. That's where a staircase to the (optional) 2nd floor of the soundstage goes! You can paint over it if you want.

Q. What's that greenish spot on the wall?
    A. It's a green screen. You can paint over it if you want.

Things you can change
    Wall and floor covers
    Placement of green screen
    Lighting
    Objects

Things you can't change
    Placement or height of outer walls
    Paint outside the room
    Existing doors/arches

7ZAwUwa.png?1

Create the lead actor(s) for the film!

o7ZZqEq.png?2
    challenge no:
    Origin ID:
    Beginner, Experienced, Advanced or Unofficial:
    Gallery Name:
    Gallery Link:
    About the movie:
    About the Sims:
    Images (1-3 images):

Xqsu5yv.png?1
    ☆ ☆

9PkgEAR.png?1
    ☆ ☆
    edited October 2017
    edited October 2017

lGahGnn.png
    Plummy Award Winners
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 137,039 Member
    Your new Plumbob Pictures Challenge sounds great! :) I will look forward to seeing the sets!
    You may be best to keep those extra posts. They may be useful to use in the future.
  • Monkeys919Monkeys919 Posts: 8 New Member
    I've just gotta get my rank to member and then I'll post my entry as I can't at the moment lol. I have it all ready. Shouldn't be too long! :smiley:
    Yay! I'm looking forward to seeing it, @Monkeys919 !
    Monkeys919 wrote: »
    I've just gotta get my rank to member and then I'll post my entry as I can't at the moment lol. I have it all ready. Shouldn't be too long! :smiley:

Hello @Monkeys919 :) It is great that you are entering this challenge ! Because you are still a new member and can't post picture yet , you could upload your pictures to a photo sharing site such as imgur or tinypic , then right click the picture on the photo sharing site and copy/paste the image address link here,
    We can then post the pictures for you.
    I will look forward to seeing your set! :)
  • Monkeys919Monkeys919 Posts: 8 New Member
    So I decided to upload them to my new(ish) simblr and will link the stills. :smiley:

Challenge no: 1
    Origin ID: Monkeys919
    Beginner, Experienced, Advanced or Unofficial: Beginner (first time doing this :tongue:
    Gallery Name: Beach Set
    Gallery Link: https://www.thesims.com/gallery/9FA147EE8F0211E78EDB4AD0040C86D9?category=all&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=downloads&time=all&searchquery=monkeys919&max=50&maxis=false
    About the movie: It is set on a remote little beach that has a few beach huts as well as a small forest to one side. It is a romantic comedy that includes a recently divorced woman and her young daughter and a rich actor, of whom the main character is a big fan of. The story follows the budding romance that blossoms between the characters, despite the small interruptions from a needy child who wants her mothers attention at all times.
    About the Sims: The movie involves 3 sims: Katya & Sofia Cortez and Alex Deighton.

Katya - She is a recently divorced mother of one, who is in need of a get away from her daily life. She loves the sun, the colour pink and 'Only one Crown' the hottest tv show starring the one and only Alex Deighton, hence the signed poster in her room.

Sofia - She is a needy child that is obsessed with making a mess and she is always fighting off others for her mothers attention, especially after her father left.

Alex - He is one of the biggest stars on TV. He has finally managed to book a holiday to a private beach with only a few other people staying in the vicinity. He enjoys food, concerts and various historic novels.

Images (1-3 images):

I've posted them on my tumblr as I'm still a newbie (despite having the account for two years :tongue: )

http://dreaming-of-sims.tumblr.com/post/164868309166/stills-for-my-entry-into-the-plumbob-pictures

I really enjoyed doing this! I'm excited to see future builds and good luck to anyone else that enters!
    Monkeys919 wrote: »
    So I decided to upload them to my new(ish) simblr and will link the stills. :smiley:

Challenge no: 1
    Origin ID: Monkeys919
    Beginner, Experienced, Advanced or Unofficial: Beginner (first time doing this :tongue:
    Gallery Name: Beach Set
    Gallery Link: https://www.thesims.com/gallery/9FA147EE8F0211E78EDB4AD0040C86D9?category=all&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=downloads&time=all&searchquery=monkeys919&max=50&maxis=false
    About the movie: It is set on a remote little beach that has a few beach huts as well as a small forest to one side. It is a romantic comedy that includes a recently divorced woman and her young daughter and a rich actor, of whom the main character is a big fan of. The story follows the budding romance that blossoms between the characters, despite the small interruptions from a needy child who wants her mothers attention at all times.
    About the Sims: The movie involves 3 sims: Katya & Sofia Cortez and Alex Deighton.

Katya - She is a recently divorced mother of one, who is in need of a get away from her daily life. She loves the sun, the colour pink and 'Only one Crown' the hottest tv show starring the one and only Alex Deighton, hence the signed poster in her room.

Sofia - She is a needy child that is obsessed with making a mess and she is always fighting off others for her mothers attention, especially after her father left.

Alex - He is one of the biggest stars on TV. He has finally managed to book a holiday to a private beach with only a few other people staying in the vicinity. He enjoys food, concerts and various historic novels.

Images (1-3 images):

I've posted them on my tumblr as I'm still a newbie (despite having the account for two years :tongue: )

http://dreaming-of-sims.tumblr.com/post/164868309166/stills-for-my-entry-into-the-plumbob-pictures

I really enjoyed doing this! I'm excited to see future builds and good luck to anyone else that enters!

Your Beach set is great! @monkeys919 :)
    It was very nice reading the details about the movie, and about each of the characters in it. Katya is pretty, and Alex is handsome! It is a very nice picture of them sitting together chatting, and it is romantic that Alex gave Katya a red rose in another part of the movie <3 It is special and nice that they are looking into each other's eyes in another scene in the movie.
    It sounds like a great romantic comedy movie to enjoy watching ! :)
    Great pictures, @Monkeys919 ! You're sure to win an award! The committee is taking notes already. ;)
  • 24Lunaa24Lunaa Posts: 62 Member
    Whoa! This is such a creative competition idea! Honestly it sounds really cool. I think I'll give this one a go :)
    Gallery ID: 24Luna
    Check Out My Gallery!

• carolynrossercarolynrosser Posts: 426 Member
    I love this challenge! Two questions:

1. You mention that there's a place to put a staircase, for an optional second floor. Is it possible to add a second floor and still upload it as a room, rather than a lot?

2. No CC allowed in the room, but if I'm building Sims to "act" in my movie, can I use CC for them? I want to get those costumes right...
    6UGz4SO.jpg

Hey, @phantasmkiss, I just realized that I didn't tag you in my earlier post. I'm hoping you can answer this question for me:
    1. You mention that there's a place to put a staircase, for an optional second floor. Is it possible to add a second floor and still upload it as a room, rather than a lot?

Thanks for starting this fun challenge!
    6UGz4SO.jpg
    edited September 2017
    Okay, I had way too much fun with this. I was thinking that I'd make a lighthearted film, full of tiki torches on the beach, but I sort of got sidetracked. Here's some info on my finished film:

challenge no: 1
    Origin ID: carolynrosser
    Beginner, Experienced, Advanced or Unofficial: Experienced
    Gallery Name and link: A Doll's Kiss Soundstage
    Link to Imgur gallery
    About the movie: A DOLL'S KISS is a psychological thriller about a young woman (Diana Gold as Allegra Farthing) who arrives in a small seaside town to recuperate, after a recent stay in a mental institution. While there, she meets a dashing young aristocrat (Darrien Thayer as Baron von Flack) and a kindly old sea captain (Mike Horace as Sea Captain Denny)--but all is not as it seems. The film's reception was mixed; its odd, dreamlike quality and surreal storyline led to both praise and criticism.
    About the set: I created three different sets within the space--a beach, a topiary garden and a study for the sea captain--as well as a small lounge area for cast members. I really wished I had more room to expand into!

An overview of the soundstage:
    aw3f8p1.png

An early beach scene with Allegra and the baron:
    a4OZFBR.png

A shot from the film's surreal and controversial climax:
    VWgjEXS.png

Read the whole story on my Imgur gallery ! And thanks to @phantasmkiss for the most fun I've had all week! :smiley:

6UGz4SO.jpg
    Your movie story is so very,very creatively designed ! @carolynrosser :) Each of the scenes in the movie have been created and written about so very well! The poses used for the sims are done so well! The butterflies ending to the movie is very special. It was dramatic leading up to it! The three settings for the movie look great! It was very enjoy reading the story line of the movie and seeing sreenshots of it!
    You are so very creative! :)
    Thanks so much, @rosemow! I really appreciate your nice comments!
    6UGz4SO.jpg
    edited September 2017
    @carolynrosser

1. There isn't a way to add a second floor and still have it be one room, that I know of. If you find a way though, please share it and I'll definitely add it to my tips!

2. You can use CC on your actors, but they can't be entered in the competition because Maxis doesn't accept CC. Your No-CC set can still be entered, though!
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edit: The soundstage goes into the Plumbob Pictures Backlot. Those arches along one wall lead directly into the cast and crew's food, dressing, and makeup area, which is about the same size as the soundstage. No need to add a seating area, if you'd rather use your space another way!

Also, when the soundstage goes into the lot, the second floor is provided. This is a new challenge, and my first challenge, so I'm more than willing to adjust things. I thought people would be more likely to enter if they only had to download a room, instead of a whole lot.
    Thanks for explaining, @phantasmkiss! That all makes sense.
    6UGz4SO.jpg
    Thanks to @Monkeys919 and @carolynrosser for entering the first ever Plumbob Pictures Challenge!
    HCBnDyJ.png?1

@Monkeys919
    Best Director

I like your plot, and it seems fitting that it's about a celebrity (partly, at least) on our first challenge! Your characters have realistic backgrounds, especially with the child who doesn't want to share her parent's attention.

What I like best, though, is your photos! They're very polished, with interesting angles. They capture the emotions on your actors' faces, and in the first photo, I would have thought they were really outside!

o4aQR5J.png

@carolynrosser
    Best Film Concept

Good job getting all those rooms into such a tight space! You've got an elegant hedged off area, space for cameras and crew, a cozy looking study, and a lovely little sunset beach.

The photos here were enough to get me interested, and you have a blog post, too! Your plot had me thinking. In the Sims universe, about everything can happen. (Except diagonal stairs. Those don't exist.) How much is real, and how much is in Allegra's head? Whatever the answer is, it seems like she found peace at the end.

rfP6igf.png

Enjoy your movie posters! I'll have the next challenge up soon!