Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Any Tips or Solution for TS4 Stuttering? I did my best and it's still bad!

NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
edited August 2017 in PC - Technical Discussions
Hey there. Some months ago I was having insane stuttering in TS4, while TS3, GTA V and other benchmarks like the valley one were super smooth. The issues were getting worse with programs crashing and worse performance and I discovered it was an issue with my cooler. I bought a new one, now I have a respectable cooler and super low temps (60ºC max compared to the 90ºC+ I had before). But it turns out that temperatures are not the main source of stutters for TS4! Even with this new cooler and never exceeding 60ºC while playing, I have an intense amount of stutter while moving the camera around. If I don't move the animations are fluid.

I searched the web and this forum for tips and an answer... I turned off the online features, took off my reshade, repaired the game, reset the The Sims 4 folder and removed my mods, tried going back to 32 bits, and I even disabled the Nvidia audio driver like was suggested and updated to the most recent Nvidia drivers (which made the stuttering worse -- I was on 382.05 and updated to the new driver 385.28). I did everything. You know it's crazy now - I removed every pack with the origin command -disablepacks. It didn't make a difference, so the issue isn't even that having all the packs was affecting TS4. My last option, which I'll do now, is using DDU to remove my drivers and installing the driver 382.19, which I heard is more stable.

My specs are: GTX 980, i5 3570, 8GB RAM, 600W PSU and Windows 10 64 bits on Creators Update.

There are no viruses or malware of any sort, the disk is always defragged, I don't use a heavy antivirus (only Windows Defender), the temperatures overall are really tame (the GPU will get to 76ºC at extreme loads and that is the highest temp).

I don't know what is the cause of this issue. Does anyone know of a newer fix for the TS4 stutter or any known tip I haven't tried?

Comments

• NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
    Ok... As an update, I'm disheartened. I spent hours to clean install these very specific drivers... And it didn't make a difference. I don't know what to do anymore. Can it be a setting in-game that is known for being nasty like that?
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,577 Member
    edited August 2017
    It's the game.

For starters, make sure your sim doesn't have a lot of things in their personal or household inventory.

There's no fix for it yet. The only fix is that you play on a smaller lot or turn on laptop mode (which I know is a dumb workaround cuz you shouldn't have to do that with your specs) but I think laptop mode is fine. It's just the game's normal high/ultra isn't working as intended and could be broken.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited August 2017
    It's definitely the game and sadly only solution is to put up with it. Some (including myself) had the same stutter in ts3 also.
    Have you by any chance turned off or lowered your page file?
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

edited August 2017
    I DID IT! I fixed the game! Thinking it might be a setting I started by changing fullscreen to... Windowed fullscreen! And it fixed it! I got uncanny smoothness like I've never seen when before it was a stuttery hellscape! I encourage anyone in a similar situation to try running the game in windowed fullscreen, it might make your game smooth instantly specially if you have good specs and the game stuttered while you know it shouldn't! Even people with lower specs might bebefit from it! Please @DeKay and @chesterbigbird try this out!
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,571 Member
    It is great that changing to windowed fullscreen has helped with the stuttering in your game :) It will be helpful for simmers who have this issue to see if it helps in their game also.
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    I DID IT! I fixed the game! Thinking it might be a setting I started by changing fullscreen to... Windowed fullscreen! And it fixed it! I got uncanny smoothness like I've never seen when before it was a stuttery hellscape! I encourage anyone in a similar situation to try running the game in windowed fullscreen, it might make your game smooth instantly specially if you have good specs and the game stuttered while you know it shouldn't! Even people with lower specs might bebefit from it! Please @DeKay and @chesterbigbird try this out!

That's great. However they should really work on a permanent fix. From memory i think window mode made it a little better but when scrolling from a distance and over lots it still stutters.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

That's great. I might try this next time I open the game. I know it didn't work for me before, but wouldn't hurt to try again.
    832XG3D.gif
    I have to add that I only got this super smoothness with the in-game vsync. If I used the nvidia control panel vsync I'd still get stutters albeit less than before.
    I have to add that I only got this super smoothness with the in-game vsync. If I used the nvidia control panel vsync I'd still get stutters albeit less than before.

I'm using the in-game vsync too.
    832XG3D.gif