Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Fireplaces - risk of fire?

I ask because I've yet to have a sim light a fire in a fireplace but I want to, however without a fire dept. to call I'm concerned for their safety.

What are the risk factors for fireplaces starting fires? is it dependent on;
- any particular skill level?
- the fireplace itself? cheap one? expensive one?
- proximity of objects to the fireplace?
- also are the sprinklers effective at putting out fires?

I always install smoke alarms and sprinklers in the rooms where fireplaces are but I'd still rather not have to deal with a fire.
Gallery ID: babysquare

Comments

• CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited July 2017
    i think the main cause of fires with fireplaces is objects being too close. I had a fireplace in an apartment that would repeatedly light up the flowers on the table in front of it, until I wisened up and moved the table further back

i believe there's an upgrade to make them fireproof though? maybe you need a certain handiness level to do it but i can't confirm, my sim already had it at level 10 so i don't know.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    i think the main cause of fires with fireplaces is objects being too close. I had a fireplace in an apartment that would repeatedly light up the flowers on the table in front of it, until I wisened up and moved the table further back

i believe there's an upgrade to make them fireproof though? maybe you need a certain handiness level to do it but i can't confirm, my sim already had it at level 10 so i don't know.

I forgot about the fireproofing, thanks for reminding me. :)
    Also, sorry to be boring but can you recall how far/how many squares away the flowers had to be for them not to catch light?
  • surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member
    I used to have fires pretty often with fireplaces when I placed a rug half under the fire place and half in front. But with the family I'm playing right now, I've had the fire place lit since the wife was pregnant, all kids are young adults now and it only caught on fire once and it was while they were teens (normal lifespan)
    Maybe they toned it down? Fires are easy to extinguish so you dont need to worry too much:)
    OK, I'm also concerned as sometimes I have windows either side of a fireplace and long curtains covering them - which appear through the sides of the fireplace - is there a risk of the curtains going up?

I checked on Carl's sims 4 guides - fireplace upgrades are available at level 4, though not recommended.
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited July 2017
    BabySquare wrote: »

Also, sorry to be boring but can you recall how far/how many squares away the flowers had to be for them not to catch light?

i believe I moved it back a couple of squares. i didn't bother testing if only one square would have been enough, though
    another thing I could've done is just remove the flowers. I don't recall the table itself ever catching fire first, it always started with the flowers on top of it.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)

i believe I moved it back a couple of squares. i didn't bother testing if only one square would have been enough, though
    another thing I could've done is just remove the flowers. I don't recall the table itself ever catching fire first, it always started with the flowers on top of it.

Makes for an interesting image.

And thanks for the info - it's so I know how close I can place some armchairs.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    I ask because I've yet to have a sim light a fire in a fireplace but I want to, however without a fire dept. to call I'm concerned for their safety.

What are the risk factors for fireplaces starting fires? is it dependent on;
    - any particular skill level?
    - the fireplace itself? cheap one? expensive one?
    - proximity of objects to the fireplace?
    - also are the sprinklers effective at putting out fires?

I always install smoke alarms and sprinklers in the rooms where fireplaces are but I'd still rather not have to deal with a fire.

Get a Sim up in their handiness skill and have them upgrade the fireplace to fireproof, then no worries.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    Upgrading to fireproof doesn't work in my game. My Sim's still had fires. I think the objects were too close. I moved the furniture back, now I don't have as many fires. But yeah fireproofing isn't working as I thought (at least in my game)
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Woah, I didn't even know that fireplaces could actually catch fire :o I know it is possible in TS3, but I thought it simply wasn't implemented in TS4. Well, you always keep learning.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
    Upgrading to fireproof doesn't work in my game. My Sim's still had fires. I think the objects were too close. I moved the furniture back, now I don't have as many fires. But yeah fireproofing isn't working as I thought (at least in my game)

See this is what I'm worried about if I have furniture too close, or sims.
  • LittlestGamer168LittlestGamer168 Posts: 88 Member
    I've only ever experienced fires when my sims cook on the Yumcooker, or when I mess around with my sorcerer mod. But maybe that's because I never place fireplaces. My advice is to just avoid fireplaces, or try and find a mod.
    Why I play the sims is a question with a million answers.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2017
    I use them all the time, all of them. Leaving them unattended and lit for days usually guarentees you will get a fire. Don't forget to put them out. (Turn off) Going two or three days is a big no no if you are worried about it. Also, putting the spriknler box next to the fireplace on the other side of the wall can put the fire out, but what's the fun in that? :D
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SparklePlumleySparklePlumley Posts: 1,061 Member
    Place a smoke alarm next to your fire place, then place one sprinkler system box on the lot. You only need one per lot, and it doesn't matter where you put it, as long as a sim can access it, inside or outside. If a fire does happen, the alarm will sound, and the sprinker will turn on, and put it out.
    Place a smoke alarm next to your fire place, then place one sprinkler system box on the lot. You only need one per lot, and it doesn't matter where you put it, as long as a sim can access it, inside or outside. If a fire does happen, the alarm will sound, and the sprinker will turn on, and put it out.

Great advice, thanks. Though out of interest, if the sprinklers come on automatically why does a sim need access to the box?
  • applefeather2applefeather2 Posts: 4,003 Member

Great advice, thanks. Though out of interest, if the sprinklers come on automatically why does a sim need access to the box?

Good question. I never knew they needed access at all. *whew*
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited July 2017
    If you place the sprinkler box inside, you need one per floor. If you place it outside, it covers the whole lot.

You need one alarm for every room a fire might start, but you can hide it behind furniture or curtains if you want. Don't forget to add them to kids rooms if you have chemistry sets, and any room you have incense.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I've only had fires when a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 sim with low cooking skill decides to use the oven.
    Such good advice in this thread thanks everyone. :)
  • SparklePlumleySparklePlumley Posts: 1,061 Member

When you have a sprinkler box without an alarm a sim has to run outside and turn it on. If there is no sim to turn it on, I think it will turn on eventually but it takes a few sim minutes. The box is 1×2, so there is space for a sim to stand in front of it . If you use moo and try to hide the box it may not work, because of where a sim runs out side to turn it on, in some cases. I've never tested it, but its better to be safe. If you do test it, let us know the outcome.

When you have a sprinkler box without an alarm a sim has to run outside and turn it on. If there is no sim to turn it on, I think it will turn on eventually but it takes a few sim minutes. The box is 1×2, so there is space for a sim to stand in front of it . If you use moo and try to hide the box it may not work, because of where a sim runs out side to turn it on, in some cases. I've never tested it, but its better to be safe. If you do test it, let us know the outcome.

I hope I won't have need to test it but if I do I'll let you know. I'm placing the box inside as I understand it'll come on automatically that way, and of course smoke alarms present (I like to think it's a new simNation building regulation.)
  • pinkishpinkish Posts: 693 Member
    I usually put a row of tile in front of my fireplaces and anything else goes behind the tiles, IRL most codes require this in your home.
  • Livin in SimLivin in Sim Posts: 1,145 Member
    I have found when I upgrade a fireplace usually one square is enough space for objects. Any closer than that, and even upgraded fireplaces burn items. However I have put the small metal fences right in front of them to look like andirons, and they don't seem to catch. The sides of the fireplaces don't seem as bad, tho, I have actually put things closer. I've had curtains on windows in the square next to it, and so far...nothing. (Knocks on (fire)wood.) Type of fireplace, I'm not sure, but it is a trend in The Sims that cheaper items habitually burst into flames, haha.

I'm terrible about remembering to put them out, tho, so I usually go for the Autolight Upgrade as well. That way they are only going when someone is in the room. Plus I get the full advantage without having to remember to light them as well. I usually have them upgrade them as soon as they can, and have never had a fire start that way. I guess that's what would happen. I don't think they'd get electrocuted, but I could be wrong. I usually put the sprinkler box and alarm inside the chimney, since I like to make one, and they're hidden in there. I had no idea about the inside/outside thing with the sprinklers, wow, the more you know.

One time a Sim put a plate down right in front of the fireplace, upgraded, and it caught fire, catching the rug one space away, but the sprinklers worked. Don't want to wash dishes, just burn them, eh?
  • Saltysea21Saltysea21 Posts: 182 Member
    I think it happens if you have objects too close to a fireplace like curtains. I also had a fire start in my sims home from an incense holder and the ceiling light above the incense holder kept catching on fire! So I think it's the proximity of objects that are able more likely to burn.
    This is one corner… of one country, in one continent, on one planet that’s a corner of a galaxy that’s a corner of a universe that is forever growing and shrinking and creating and destroying and never remaining the same for a single millisecond. And there is so much, so much to see.