Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

To cheat or not to cheat, that is the question.

Okay, so. I want to know how many people cheat and how many don't. Sure, im not looking for an exact number, but Im curious how many people dont use any sort of money or needs cheat. Personally , I will never use a cheat that modify's my sims needs , because I feel like that is not for me to decide and defeats the entire purpose . I am also sort of uncomfortable using money cheats. It's doesnt fully bother me, but I would prefer not to.

Comments

• KlueniiKluenii Posts: 90 Member
    edited May 2017
    I play a legacy style game so for me money and needs cheats are both off limits for my game. I started out with next to nothing and built my home a room at a time as I was able to afford it. Now my family has more money than I know what to do with most of the time.

I wish it was possible to split family funds and let the spares take some of the family funds with them when they move out actually, it would be nice if my newly married family members could buy a home a little more like they were used to living in rather than being limited to the 20000 they get.

Needs are a little more difficult but even those can be satisfied without cheating with a little creativity. In my gameplay when starting out if I had a sim in need of something I didn't have readily available, it was time to head to a community lot to take care of that need.
  • DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member
    About 98% of the time I'm very anti-cheat. Cheating takes the fun out of the game for me, besides, it's easy to make money and keep Sims needs up. But that 2%, I'll right any wrongs I feel has been done to my sims... oh, double charge me for that pizza? Nope! Not gonna be able to do it!
  • BrownGamerGurl1BrownGamerGurl1 Posts: 1,136 Member
    DivieOwl wrote: »
    About 98% of the time I'm very anti-cheat. Cheating takes the fun out of the game for me, besides, it's easy to make money and keep Sims needs up. But that 2%, I'll right any wrongs I feel has been done to my sims... oh, double charge me for that pizza? Nope! Not gonna be able to do it!

lol! double charging on a pizza is just wrong :D
    @DivieOwl The whole cheating funds thing yanks the fun right out of the game for me. There is a house I built on the gallery, it costs 183k and has been downloaded over 2000 times, but I might never get the chance to actually have my sims live there, because I started a new save and I don't intend on ever using cheats of any kind anymore.I spent some hours on that house, my sims may never afford it :'(
  • DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member
    DivieOwl wrote: »

lol! double charging on a pizza is just wrong :D

Momma don't play that business in my game! Lol
    @DivieOwl The whole cheating funds thing yanks the fun right out of the game for me. There is a house I built on the gallery, it costs 183k and has been downloaded over 2000 times, but I might never get the chance to actually have my sims live there, because I started a new save and I don't intend on ever using cheats of any kind anymore.I spent some hours on that house, my sims may never afford it :'(

Share a link, I'd like to see it. My Sims generally are well off. Not as rich as my Sims 3 Sims, but they usually have a very nice house that suits them/their family, with plenty of money to pay bills and have fun. I've tried tamping down on making so much money, cause once my Sims are filthy rich, I lose fun. I've found my sweet spot to be around the 75,000 to 100,000 after they are in their dream home. Since Sims can lose money pretty quickly with bills and what not I just let them ride it out until the next generation or two needs to earn more.
    edited May 2017
    @DivieOwl :) Im not totally committed to the idea of giving up motherlode cheats, im going to start a new save with a four member, family and I am going to see how I feel about using them. Because they would need a bigger house. If I can get past it, I will have one non-cheat save and one where I allow it, for my sims to get their houses.

Here is the house : https://thesims.com/gallery/058566DC31F611E787ACD7A18CD2F0D0?category=all&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=downloads&time=all&searchquery=browngamergurl&max=50&maxis=false
  • John4estJohn4est Posts: 202 Member
    Sometimes I cheat, especially when I'm running a business... Like how many times a day do you really need to go to the bathroom??? He has to go while two people are at red-shopping cart status? Nope!!!!

I try never to cheat with money, at least. It gets addictive if you do it too often... I should probably remove some cheat mods...

Sometimes I make random townie sims and freerealestate them into houses. But I mark them unplayed and leave them be. Its nice to visit a decent house. And maybe one day I'll marry them and reap in the benefits. I just look at it like they are trust fund babies.
    2qwq9ah.jpg
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Unless I'm doing a poverty challenge, it's motherlode, motherlode, motherlode!
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • John4estJohn4est Posts: 202 Member
    I have a concern, though. Because I felt like I cheated, when I really didn't, technically... But I don't feel like I earned that $600,000 penthouse I just bought. Literally from rags to riches...

Okay so I had a single sim, moved him into a rank apartment and lived there normally for a while. During that time, I had the most fun.
    I wanted him to own a business someday and make loads of money without getting a traditional career.

So, I started him off selling things with the flea-market stand on street corners. Selling whatever I could find and use.
    -I eventually found out the most expensive thing I could sell on that table was the Voodoo doll ($950). I started buying a bunch of those, going out, and selling them at 300% margins, essentially making $3000 a pop. Day in, and day out.

Eventually I got enough money to purchase a small business in the Magnolia Promenade. I started out slow, selling cheap things, then replacing them with more expensive things, and so on, at 100% margins. The amount of sales pitches I had to give was insane at first.

Finally, I was able to buy the "Sure Sale" perk. - Now With this, there is a known exploit where if you queue them up one-after-another, it will not trigger the 4HR cooldown if they are still in the queue (it triggers after the first one, but he will still preform the action on the sims that were queued)

I started selling Ghost Writer computers, making $20,000 each, and using perks to restock them at $7500 each.

I kept doing this, over and over, expanding my store, buying more expensive items, made my neighbor move in with me to double my sales potential, until I made $600,000 (it took about 3-5 sim days)...

Another reason it didn't take that long was I noticed when he was restocking items, it would only charge the restock fee about 10% of the time. I figured, this is a glitch, but I will use it to my benefit.

Now, because I used a couple exploits, I feel I cheated big time and now I'm at end-game with that sim in the best house in the city...

I exited the game, because I stopped having fun grinding for money and using exploits.

Exploits aren't cheats, they are glitches... but Knowing I can do this, I can't not do it, because it's obviously the programmer's fault.

However, the only person I really cheated was myself.

I don't know. I stopped playing for now...
    2qwq9ah.jpg
  • vickyloovickyloo Posts: 134 Member
    Unless i am doing a challenge which doesn't allow me to use cheats i always use the motherload cheat XD. I did start a family where i decided not to use any cheats whatsoever and, i didn't realise how much stuff cost lol.
  • linkinsenpailinkinsenpai Posts: 25 Member
    Mostly I don't use cheats except for free real estate, and debug commands that I would rather not use, but my game is super broken.

My household has a lot of money, but no one in it has a job. This is because in my save, the patriarch's ultimate goal is to have as many children as possible, but in order to have kids with so many different women he has to move them in right before they give birth so he can keep the baby. Then, if they're single, all their funds go to him! All relatives also move back in shortly before they die so I can collect their urns, and so if they live alone their funds go back to the main household as well.

I have only used other cheats when it's necessary because my game is broken or because the household can't function without them. I always cheat the toddlers' movement skill because the house is full of stairs and otherwise they just starve, especially when I have 4 toddlers at once and only one parent. And sometimes when my sims go to sleep, their sleep need doesn't go up, so I have to cheat to make the need okay or else they pass out all the time.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    I've used cheats since the very first time they became available in Sims 1. Mostly money and motive cheats. I free real estate my sims into a home and then I motherlode to furnish it. My sims have jobs but I don't rely on salaries for giving my sims whatever I want them to have. :)
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    It depends on what I'm doing. If I've already made a house and I really like it, I cheat to buy the house (so that I don't have to build it from scratch) and I buy Collectibles rooms for the collections I have already completed, but not the furniture, which I work for.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • PurrdaleckiPurrdalecki Posts: 972 Member
    Sometimes I cheat, sometimes I don't. A lot of the time I do though. I play big families. I used to play without cheats and I had quite a big family, about, 6 - 7 sims or so including a kid, 3 YA's, a teen and a baby and everyone would be up at hours that.. Well, hours that I stay up to lol getting them washed, and fed, and they barely ever had any time for sleep. And then I discovered the fill all needs cheat. I do like a challenge sometimes, though. I don't allow myself to cheat the need of babies (there is a mod for that), or toddlers (usually), I try to let sims older than that do their own thang bc autonomy, but I will cheat their needs from time to time. I did play a save with a single sim though, where I didn't use any need or money cheats - I was expecting it to be hard, bc I started her off with like.. Idk, 500 simoleons, 400, and I just collected a load of harvestables and sold them but it's actually so easy to make money on the sims that way? Which I did not know? But it takes up most her day. I was gonna let her steal the random servings of burgers and that sims leave on picnic tables, but I thought that was too cheat-y. Instead she just eats some of the harvestables I pick her but *my goodness* she has to eat like 15 or so harvestables to satisfy her hunger need and she bites straight into lemons and it makes me cringe. The paintings I make her do cost quite a bit though, and I can never bring myself to sell them bc I do paint by reference and I find them *so* pretty. I'm thinking of getting her a kid, hoping I can still go without using cheats with a toddler in the house - I think I'll make her an eternal toddler, Idk why.
    tumblr_inline_o2epubgZOk1tbsl8q_500.gif
    My sims 4 studio with poses for download and stuff: click
  • I8PIKACHUI8PIKACHU Posts: 572 Member
    I don't use cheats. I think Maxis tries to focus on gameplay (not counting Parenthood) and enjoy starting out poor and working towards prosperity.
    soul-glo.gif
    Let your soul shine through.
  • thesimspiethesimspie Posts: 64 Member
    I sometimes cheat when I make sims that my played sims will marry so I can give them suiting skills, money, and houses.

Otherwise, I may use a rosebud or two on my played sims to pretend that their parents or relatives are giving them money as a gift. :p
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are," -Teddy Roosevelt

I'm reading the Infernal Devices. I haven't ever read the Mortal Instruments. I hope that's alright... ;)
  • DevinaleDevinale Posts: 209 Member
    I have recently started playing again, and while I'm making my story I'm using cheats, besides I have 8 sims in one house! I can't really manage that many. But as soon as my teens get better grades and stuff, I'm going to age them up, and move the other adults out :) and then the next generation will be without cheats :)
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    i've never really played with cheats
    aside from cas.fulleditmode and using them to correct glitches
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • PancakesandwichPancakesandwich Posts: 2,038 Member
    I rarely cheat, unless it fits into the story. And that's very rare.
    I do sometimes use money cheats to build my Sims a nice house fitting for their background, but I use another cheat to subtract most of it after the building is done.

There are also cases where I intentionally take away money my Sims somehow got, if I feel as if it was cheating to keep the money. In Sims 3 that would be the time portal for example.
  • butterflyxgirlbutterflyxgirl Posts: 427 Member
    @BrownGamerGurl1 I love your house! It's so gorgeous!

I don't like playing with cheats because it takes the fun out of the game for me. It's fun to do the journey for me. Occasionally I'll use moveobjects, but not often. I never use money or needs cheats.
  • JouvayJouvay Posts: 834 Member
    I avoid money cheats but have used motive cheats. I get impatient and don't want my sims distracted so If my sim is in the middle of doing stuff and has to pee , I give them a fix (motive cheat) and they're good to go. Really depends on my mood. When raising a family I avoid all cheats for the fun.
  • Hadron1776Hadron1776 Posts: 330 Member
    I tend to avoid money and needs cheats... unless I feel like knocking off one of my sims. >:)
  • JaiSeaJaiSea Posts: 907 Member
    I like my sims to earn everything they have. If I cheat and gave them everything from the beginning they'd have nothing to work for, no point in playing them. Cheating takes the fun out of it for me. And by the time my sims are able to earn all they've wanted they are ready to retire and I'm ready to do it all over again with the next generation.
    Check out my latest Multiplayer Let's Play! The Off the Grid challenge - single family addition.
    MPOTGthumbnail.jpg
    @butterflyxgirl Thanks you :)

Im so confused girly. I just don't know what to do about them. Because I feel like in real life there are people who dont have to worry about money , so why not have those in my game (with cheats of course). Thats the one reason using money cheats doesnt bother me.

But I could never see my self using motive/need cheats . That is just taboo for me.
  • LunaNovaLunaNova Posts: 1,239 Member
    I don't like cheating in my casual play BUT i'm a story teller. When it comes to setting up a story anything and everything goes! I like to make my sims work for it o even if they don't live a life full of money filled bliss they leave behind a house for their kids.
    tumblr_ox7j4tmNjd1wqkiw6o1_1280.png
    //Sims Tumblr Here-MoonPhase Simblr//Berry Sims Here- MoonBerry Sims//
    Let me make you a cute forum avatar [Closed right noww!! will re-open closer to cats and dogs!] //
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top