Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Olympus UI and Multiplayer Code in The Sims 4

Comments

• elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    edited May 2017
    And for sake of argument, let's assume @TwistedMexican and his suspicion are correct, and that the non-ideal online engine and the way the C++ and Python components communicate with each other is indeed the cause for these time distortion issues. I wonder if the Sims team has considered this possibility whilst looking into the issue. Last I checked, they wanted save files where the issue occurs, though asking for save files seems oblivious to the fact that this is a fundamental issue with the engine that could affect all users. (but what do I know, I'm no programmer. It may be more of a study of the various causes of the time distortion worsening based on player actions, such as having kids)

It's simply laughable to suggest that some community member managed to find out the cause for the "time distortion" issue, but the actual engineers working at Maxis have no clue what's going on.

And no that suspicion is very much incorrect.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    Triplis wrote: »
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    mirta000 wrote: »
    I will give you this one warning: Please refrain from making statements about what I do and do not think of this community.

The Sims 4 is a different game compared to the past iterations and we are treating it differently. From the content we produce to the way we market the product. You assumed that we were going to keep things the way they were before, that was not something we confirmed nor did we ever promise that we would do that with this iteration. What we have done is brought a new experience into the Stuff Packs, introduced Game Packs, and have been bringing new experiences with our Expansion Packs. We made the decision prior to The Sims 4 releasing to no longer have split teams (meaning not all at EARS) which has proven to be in the best interest of the game and having a stable product since all things are developed side by side and can be cross checked with one another.

However TS4 currently is more bugged than TS3 ever was. Meaning how is it a more stable product when it's boarderline unplayable?
    What does best interest for the game mean even? Best profits for EA? Or what the buyers prefer? Because one thing that is very obvious to me is that buyers are not asking for this slew of stuff packs and that a lot of people are feeling the content drought all the time, even though you release more often, because you're releasing less meaningful content.
    Ok, so I'd like to know what information you have that I am missing that confirms what you're saying.

"TS4 is more bugged than TS3" In what way?

"borderline unplayable" In what way is it unplayable?

"a lot are feeling the content drought all the time" What is a lot and who are they?

"less meaningful content" Isn't that just an opinion-based value judgment?

'What is a lot'??? Are you serious...OMG :D
    Yes, I'm serious. A lot isn't a definitive term for size. People can mean vastly different numbers by it.

Oh I am sure he meant 2 when he said a lot :)
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    All I know is that I can't play my game without bugs right now, time is still fu.. not working so I can't put my game on speed 3, if my sims go to bed the time again goes bonkers which is very annoying to say the least. When I edit my toddlers after being a baby they revert back to being a baby which leaves the mom pregnant again.

I've tried no mods, mods to fix it, repair the game, i'm done. I spend over 300 bucks for this game and i'm complaining?! Lmao, I don't think so. If you're happy with the game, good, you got your moneys worth, I did not and I expect to play the game without so many issues if I payed so much for it. That's not complaining, that's treating your customers like actual people. We work for our money if you haven't noticed, if I want to spend it I expect a good product and saying "don't buy it then" sounds awful to someone who has spend a lot of her money on the Sims series, since the Sims 1 to be exact, most of us build this game with our funding, if we are called complainers not only by you, but also guru's (you all know who i'm talking about) they don't respect from me.

The only reason i'm buying these packs (on 50% sale) is because I want my game to have more content since i'm bored out of my mind, I want to enjoy it, love it and spend hours on it like I used to but I can't because of the issues this game keeps having when new packs come out.

Fix your game, we aren't paying 5 bucks once, we're paying atleast above 10 bucks each time a pack comes out, we have a right to expect a good and functional game.
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    TSM looks almost identical to TS4 with a bit of TSF added in for some things... I mean they share a lot of the same objects from what I've seen and they have really similar graphics. TS4 is most certainly Olympus, maybe even with bits of Icarus mixed in, but it appears they also have built TSM with old leftover materials from Olympus. I remember some sort of 'Olympus' quest thing in TSF and there's code for Olympus (along with leaks online from 'Patrick' I think) in TS4.

New idea: they could both be Olympus... but TS4 is deeper rooted in it with bits of Icarus also implanted.

I just desperately hope TSM isn't free... if it is, it will cause an uproar from fans who paid for the very similar TS4.
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • LQSALVAROLQSALVARO Posts: 14 New Member
    So we're playing an online with a lot of restrictions game in an offline mode. I don't know what to think, honestly.

First of all I wanna say hello to all of you. I'm a spanish simmer and I've been playing The Sims since I have memory. I've got all the games. The Sims 1, 2 and 3 are perfects in their ways. All of them have meant an advance. But Sims 4 (Or I should say Sims Olympus) is really worth it?

It's obvious and I'm sure that we're gonna have Sims 5 in a few years because The Sims can't finish with this bad game. Until then, I just wondering how much time they can continue with all this lie.
  • Hadron1776Hadron1776 Posts: 330 Member
    emmaning wrote: »
    TS4 is most certainly Olympus, maybe even with bits of Icarus mixed in,
    I don't know anything about TS4 actually being Olympus, but I do know I see an Olympus folder in every GFX file:
    knsRAUG.png

I still haven't found the primary Olympus file they're apparently inheriting from

• Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »
    And for sake of argument, let's assume @TwistedMexican and his suspicion are correct, and that the non-ideal online engine and the way the C++ and Python components communicate with each other is indeed the cause for these time distortion issues. I wonder if the Sims team has considered this possibility whilst looking into the issue. Last I checked, they wanted save files where the issue occurs, though asking for save files seems oblivious to the fact that this is a fundamental issue with the engine that could affect all users. (but what do I know, I'm no programmer. It may be more of a study of the various causes of the time distortion worsening based on player actions, such as having kids)

It's simply laughable to suggest that some community member managed to find out the cause for the "time distortion" issue, but the actual engineers working at Maxis have no clue what's going on.

What you mean like with TS3 when modders like Nraas found and fixed multiple problems long before EA's engineers did?

There are a fair few modders among our community members, and modders are often coders themselves.
    raw
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    LQSALVARO wrote: »
    So we're playing an online with a lot of restrictions game in an offline mode. I don't know what to think, honestly.

First of all I wanna say hello to all of you. I'm a spanish simmer and I've been playing The Sims since I have memory. I've got all the games. The Sims 1, 2 and 3 are perfects in their ways. All of them have meant an advance. But Sims 4 (Or I should say Sims Olympus) is really worth it?

It's obvious and I'm sure that we're gonna have Sims 5 in a few years because The Sims can't finish with this bad game. Until then, I just wondering how much time they can continue with all this lie.

Hola y bienvenidos to the English speaking forums!
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited May 2017
    elelunicy wrote: »

The suggestion was less so that I adamantly believe the tech team has no idea what they're doing or something (that is in no way what I think; SimGuruNick has been very informative) while people such as TwistedMexican do, but rather more people = more progress. Different people think of different solutions, so more people often means more heads being put together to find a solution, and that usually finds solutions faster.

I'd also remind you that both Sims 3 and Sims 4 have had bugs fixed faster by modders than the actual tech team. This does not neccesarily mean the modders are more competent; Nick has commented before that musical chairs was not on their to-do list because they lacked sufficient enough reports to view it as an active, serious issue. Modders do not rely/depend on formal reports, they see a problem and fix it because they want to. Still, that's again a great example of how more heads together can be useful; if they were to start trying to officially fix musical chairs tomorrow, then contacting the mod team that addressed it would likely be helpful in this case since in all likelihood that mod team has spent more time focused on that particular issue than the official tech team has.

It's nothing to do with blindly claiming the tech team is incompetent or the like, but rather different individuals have different thought processes than others and different go-to methods for solving a problem. In that regard I doubt more people and more communication is ever a problem, as it's just more potential to find someone with the right idea of where to look to help to resolve an issue.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • brendhan21brendhan21 Posts: 3,427 Member
    Skobee wrote: »
    All I know is that I can't play my game without bugs right now, time is still fu.. not working so I can't put my game on speed 3, if my sims go to bed the time again goes bonkers which is very annoying to say the least. When I edit my toddlers after being a baby they revert back to being a baby which leaves the mom pregnant again.

I've tried no mods, mods to fix it, repair the game, i'm done. I spend over 300 bucks for this game and i'm complaining?! Lmao, I don't think so. If you're happy with the game, good, you got your moneys worth, I did not and I expect to play the game without so many issues if I payed so much for it. That's not complaining, that's treating your customers like actual people. We work for our money if you haven't noticed, if I want to spend it I expect a good product and saying "don't buy it then" sounds awful to someone who has spend a lot of her money on the Sims series, since the Sims 1 to be exact, most of us build this game with our funding, if we are called complainers not only by you, but also guru's (you all know who i'm talking about) they don't respect from me.

The only reason i'm buying these packs (on 50% sale) is because I want my game to have more content since i'm bored out of my mind, I want to enjoy it, love it and spend hours on it like I used to but I can't because of the issues this game keeps having when new packs come out.

Fix your game, we aren't paying 5 bucks once, we're paying atleast above 10 bucks each time a pack comes out, we have a right to expect a good and functional game.

apparenrtly you are supposed to think of it this way and just not play the game cuz its broken i guess? that is apparently the normal reaction you should have. for me personally i agree exactly but we need to just report the bugs,stop taking the game so seriously, and maybe do other things at least according to other people.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    edited May 2017
    brendhan21 wrote: »
    Skobee wrote: »

apparenrtly you are supposed to think of it this way and just not play the game cuz its broken i guess? that is apparently the normal reaction you should have. for me personally i agree exactly but we need to just report the bugs,stop taking the game so seriously, and maybe do other things at least according to other people.

There's no "supposed". You asked what other people do and feel. I told you what I do and feel, and what I know is helpful for Maxis (the reporting and answering questions part). I never said you're meant to be the same as me. You do you. It's ok.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • mock68mock68 Posts: 696 Member
    What is Olympus??? I've been trying to follow this thread but I've not a clue what Olympus is..
    mock68 wrote: »
    What is Olympus??? I've been trying to follow this thread but I've not a clue what Olympus is..

Olympus is the code name for an Online Sims game and is what The Sims 4 used to be, and still carries the code of.
    raw
  • mock68mock68 Posts: 696 Member
    Evil_One wrote: »

Olympus is the code name for an Online Sims game and is what The Sims 4 used to be, and still carries the code of.

Thankyou I thought it was another game...
  • ts1depotts1depot Posts: 1,438 Member
    edited May 2017

The person you responded has no idea what he's talking about. He is just parroting what a bunch of amateur detectives and armchair developers think they know, based on rumor, gossip and speculation.

EiFlric.png
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    ts1depot wrote: »

The person you responded has no idea what he's talking about. He is just parroting what a bunch of amateur detectives and armchair developers think they know, based on rumor, gossip and speculation.

Well, that was rude? Do you have any proof the person doesn't know what he is talking about?
    edited May 2017
    emmaning wrote: »
    I just desperately hope TSM isn't free... if it is, it will cause an uproar from fans who paid for the very similar TS4.

It is free***, or at least that's every indication thusfar and likewise a super common mobile game payment plan.

You can find footage of the gameplay on SimsVIP's youtube channel. It looks like your standard mobile game like Farmville or Fallout Shelter: you give your sim a command, you have to wait ~2-5 minutes until the command completes, then you give another command and you wait again...

***But if you really love giving EA/Maxis your money, you can buy little Sim dollars that you can use to rush any action and skip to completion, thus allowing you to play the game faster and unlock progress faster. This is precisely why so many of us have this attitude that mobile gaming is never about providing the customer with a nice gaming experience, but rather the game is an easy cash cow. I mean if half of the "gameplay" is the game telling me to go make a sandwich while I wait for my Sim to be done, that's not really gameplay at all.

The entire mobile game just looks like you just sit around and wait while watching your Sims do little animations, with no actual gameplay mechanics in sight...So basically it's Sims 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDTW9Dd7ORM
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited May 2017
    I have it. The game is micro transaction heavy ala the sims free play. It's not my thing. If it's aim is to make the sims 4 look good then It does that very well. I imagine though I'm not the target audience. I played it for a day and got bored. I am not a fan of waiting 6 hours real time while a sim sleeps and I wouldn't pay the prices to speed things up. But they have to make money Somehow I guess.
    Post edited by MidnightAura on

You're welcome.

In truth I wish it 'was' another game, that way TS4 would be much better than it is now.
    raw
  • GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    ts1depot wrote: »

It is times like this I miss @Colton147147
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    What's wrong with the current state of the game? I'm not following you on that point.

let's see, random issues:

1. Simulation lag (this is a BIG ONE. IT goes as far as whole saves being unplayable because sims just... Freeze without movement. It's like whole AI gets dropped over time)
    2. musical chairs still present in Dine Out areas
    3. Chefs getting stuck in dine out, not serving food, meaning practically the whole GP is worthless
    4. waterslide is bugged
    5. butler prevents you from entering speed 4
    6. speed 4 not working in most of City Living areas, sometimes speed 3 won't work either
    7. vampires are getting assigned as NPCs and burning to death
    8. vampires randomly dropping by, standing outside and burning to death (want to have a vampire? Whatever you do, don't switch your active household away from them)
    9. singing bug still present
    10. GTW careers having bugged progression goals, impossible to progress without cheating
    11. Get Together clubs resetting points and sometimes even members
    12. adults inviting children on dates (now this just gives really bad vibes to some people that experienced violence in their early lives)

there are many many more. Legitimately every piece of content I buy gets broken a few months in, leaving me unable to use it.

1: Mermaids get the burning moodlet WHILE underwater

2 diving caves have an issue that constantly reset sims

3 isla paradiso has an issue with the way some houses are built and cause lag

4 there is a high chance of crashing whenever mermaids check into resorts

5 Male merman have issues where they will use the swim animation of a mermaid, but have no fin

6 Sims 3 has a lag where the game freezes for a couple seconds, but FX continues to play, most commonly in Isla Paradiso

7 : Mermaids swim EVERYWHERE instead of taking boats, causing them to gain incredible muscle and take forever everywhere

8 Resort Workers have routing failures due to un routable roaches
    9 Fishing becomes glitchy if a house boat has a basement

10 Scuba diving in a houseboat with a basement can also glitch out

I filled out almost your entire list of sims 4 bugs with just a single expansion. I HIGHLY recommend you take a look again @cinrict old bug threads for your rose colored glasses, because sims 3 had a TON of issues.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
    What's wrong with the current state of the game? I'm not following you on that point.

1. Simulation lag (this is a BIG ONE. IT goes as far as whole saves being unplayable because sims just... Freeze without movement. It's like whole AI gets dropped over time)
    3. Chefs getting stuck in dine out, not serving food, meaning practically the whole GP is worthless
    4. waterslide is bugged
    6. speed 4 not working in most of City Living areas, sometimes speed 3 won't work either
    8. vampires randomly dropping by, standing outside and burning to death (want to have a vampire? Whatever you do, don't switch your active household away from them)
    10. GTW careers having bugged progression goals, impossible to progress without cheating
    12. adults inviting children on dates (now this just gives really bad vibes to some people that experienced violence in their early lives)

there are many many more. Legitimately every piece of content I buy gets broken a few months in, leaving me unable to use it.

5 Male merman have issues where they will use the swim animation of a mermaid, but have no fin

6 Sims 3 has a lag where the game freezes for a couple seconds, but FX continues to play, most commonly in Isla Paradiso

7 : Mermaids swim EVERYWHERE instead of taking boats, causing them to gain incredible muscle and take forever everywhere

I filled out almost your entire list of sims 4 bugs with just a single expansion. I HIGHLY recommend you take a look again @cinrict old bug threads for your rose colored glasses, because sims 3 had a TON of issues.

Who cares which one is buggier as long as both are in unacceptable condition? We could argue back and forth about this (mirta's list includes univeral bugs affecting the entire game while yours are exclusive to one expansion and don't harm the base game), but there's little point because even if you proved definitively that Sims 3 is buggier, that does not mean Sims 4 isn't buggy.

Both are in unacceptable condition. Luckily there's still time to fix Sims 4, but it remains to be seen if they will.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member

4. waterslide is bugged

Who cares which one is buggier as long as both are in unacceptable condition? We could argue back and forth about this (mirta's list includes univeral bugs affecting the entire game while yours are exclusive to one expansion and don't harm the base game), but there's little point because even if you proved definitively that Sims 3 is buggier, that does not mean Sims 4 isn't buggy.

Both are in unacceptable condition. Luckily there's still time to fix Sims 4, but it remains to be seen if they will.

I never said either are okay, just that sims 3 is buggier, my point is that people look through Rose colored glasses and don't realize it's been like this since the start of sims 3, but sims 4 has it a LOT better

Well also get bug fixes every month, albeit some new bugs will be introduced but that'll be like that in any game. In Sims 3 we had to wait 6 to 8 months for bug fixes..
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png