Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why are all my sims aging up with pigtails?

PlumDiddyPlumDiddy Posts: 551 Member
Is it because i use CC hair in my game?
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    Maybe. I get male sims aging up in pigtails and other female hair all the time. I use NRaas MasterController to take inactives into Stylist from time to time to change the hair. I'd try to figure out whether it was actually due to CC hair or not, but that's hard to test. However, the female hair my male sims age up into is always EA hair making me think it's not due to CC hair. And one theory I've heard is that some EA hair through various patches was made available to both genders, and never properly fixed.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Well, as a counterindication, I have never had this issue, and have no CC hair in my game. So, maybe?
  • PlumDiddyPlumDiddy Posts: 551 Member
    Thanks @TreyNutz i just wondered if this was a bug or because of my cc, or maybe i had bad cc. Idk. But like you, i just drag em into stylist and correct the hairstyle. And its always the EA pigtails with red ribbons lol. Even grandpa aged up into them the other day.

@Sindocat Interesting. Im thinking its probably a CC issue.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited April 2017
    I did have the issue, a long time ago, and I didn't use any mods or CC back then (you mean the female haircut I presume?). I don't know what caused it, it turned out to be just in that save. After I had moved to a new game the problem never happened again.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited April 2017
    We've been through all of this several times with that particular hair, I'm afraid, and it's not a CC or mod issue. But some players will keep telling us that it is anyway; can't say I blame them for jumping to that conclusion but we have proven otherwise. Others tell us that NRaas StoryProgression is the culprit, which is absurd and has since been proven false anyway. :/

The female pigtails unfortunately got released several times and exist in multiple patch and EP files as valid for both genders even though they don't show up in CAS that way. It's not just a theory. We think ITF has become a common culprit, but it happens to those to don't have the EP and it was reported on many times before the ITF/1.63 patch. This is why it is not effective to use usual tools such as EasyCASP Editor to restrict the hair to females or eliminate it altogether; EasyCASP only works on the first instance of CAS content that it can find and ignores subsequent duplicates in the game files, so that trick just doesn't work in this case.

There is a way to solve the problem once and for all by editing the game files with more advanced tools. I think S3OC might play a role here (that doesn't sound right now that I think about it, but it's one of the lesser used tools like that), but it's really complicated to locate the hairs within each file and make the required adjustments. A few of my colleagues at NRaas were able to do this successfully. The conclusion many keep coming to though is that it's not worth it, life is too short, and they just keep adjusting the affected sims with MC Stylist as they see them (or bring them into Testingcheats CAS or make them active and Change Appearance if not using mods).

For the record, I'm a heavy mod user, have all EPs, most of the SPs, and a pretty heavy load of CC, yet I have been lucky enough to never once have seen this happen in my own games (yet). But admittedly that doesn't prove anything and maybe it's still just a matter of time.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    I think it is a bad cc. I at one point had a few cc for my sims including hair and clothes. When they went into the shower, certain sims got horse legs and spaghetti arms... ew! I removed those from the game and the problem went away.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited April 2017
    I think it is a bad cc. I at one point had a few cc for my sims including hair and clothes. When they went into the shower, certain sims got horse legs and spaghetti arms... ew! I removed those from the game and the problem went away.
    Did you happen to read the post I made just above? :)

Yes, bad CC will cause distorted sims. But that's not the issue being discussed here, it's the imposing of what most of us would call a proper though not entirely popular EA female hairstyle onto inactive males upon their aging up and, in many cases, it doesn't create a very flattering or stylish effect for them no matter what their private or publicly disclosed gender identities might be (okay, to be blunt the pigtails don't look very nice with facial hair, sorry if that's at all insensitive or offensive to anyone). But it's not distortion and it's not caused by bad CC. Plenty of players with no CC or mods at all still get this unwanted effect.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited April 2017
    igazor wrote: »
    We've been through all of this several times with that particular hair, I'm afraid, and it's not a CC or mod issue. But some players will keep telling us that it is anyway; can't say I blame them for jumping to that conclusion but we have proven otherwise. Others tell us that NRaas StoryProgression is the culprit, which is absurd and has since been proven false anyway. :/

The female pigtails unfortunately got released several times and exist in multiple patch and EP files as valid for both genders even though they don't show up in CAS that way. It's not just a theory. We think ITF has become a common culprit, but it happens to those to don't have the EP and it was reported on many times before the ITF/1.63 patch. This is why it is not effective to use usual tools such as EasyCASP Editor to restrict the hair to females or eliminate it altogether; EasyCASP only works on the first instance of CAS content that it can find and ignores subsequent duplicates in the game files, so that trick just doesn't work in this case.

There is a way to solve the problem once and for all by editing the game files with more advanced tools. I think S3OC might play a role here (that doesn't sound right now that I think about it, but it's one of the lesser used tools like that), but it's really complicated to locate the hairs within each file and make the required adjustments. A few of my colleagues at NRaas were able to do this successfully. The conclusion many keep coming to though is that it's not worth it, life is too short, and they just keep adjusting the affected sims with MC Stylist as they see them (or bring them into Testingcheats CAS or make them active and Change Appearance if not using mods).

For the record, I'm a heavy mod user, have all EPs, most of the SPs, and a pretty heavy load of CC, yet I have been lucky enough to never once have seen this happen in my own games (yet). But admittedly that doesn't prove anything and maybe it's still just a matter of time.
    For me it happened with the family I played before I started my legacy, meaning before May 2010. So no, even if there may be a connection to ITF for some, that's not necessarily the case.

(the hairstyle is completely harmless by the way; after you've changed it into something a bit more masculine (or not, if you like men with long hair like me :mrgreen:), everything's fine)
    Did you happen to read the post I made just above? :)
    And mine ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I did have the issue, a long time ago, and I didn't use any mods or CC back then (you mean the female haircut I presume?). I don't know what caused it, it turned out to be just in that save. After I had moved to a new game the problem never happened again.

Good to know its happened to players w/out any CC. I remember this issue started for me once before but i couldnt remember if i had any CC hair in at that point or not. I guess its just a Sims3 thing. I plan to move my family to Riverview after the next generation though. So hopefully they can leave these pigtail problems in Sunset Valley :p

Thanks as always @igazor . right now im only playing with the base game + 70s 80s 90s stuff. So no ITF here and its happening. Im just glad i dont have to take out my CC hairs to try and find which one is causing the problem (which isnt a HUGE problem btw. Just more of an annoyance i guess).
    And i agree with you. The pigtails most certainly dont look good on a sim with a beard lol :D
  • budewarminbudewarmin Posts: 371 Member
    I had it happen when I had no CC before, have it happen with CC now. My sims men just like that hair tons and will wear it :P
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    budewarmin wrote: »
    I had it happen when I had no CC before, have it happen with CC now. My sims men just like that hair tons and will wear it :P

The same here, when I put male hair CC in my game I will get it, and when I don't have it, such as now, I will never see it on anyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top