Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

About the 'Legacy Challenge'

Kilov17Kilov17 Posts: 1,795 Member
After the 10,000 (for the 50x 50 lot) and additional 8,200 and having so little left.... I'm guessing one has to eat, sleep & take care of their sim's bathroom needs at/ in other places until one's sim has money to do SOMETHING? lol
I'm at a bit of a loss...

EDIT-
Additional:
I am guessing outside Testingcheats True and/or MODs type stuff, there's no way to clear a sim's Skills...? I have this sim I'd like to play in a Legacy but the Legacy Challenge I got more or less states they can't have prior skills... This is a Townie Spawn sim I edited a bit, she had the 'Mean' trait and while I agree it's a trait the game needs as we don't live in a perfect world so why should the Sim world be perfect either? lol BUT still I don't like the trait on the female sims so, I changed her traits and outfits too... Hair might be different-- can't recall. BUT a favorite sim of mine. Would love to play with on a solo basis but limitations make things more fun/ exciting IMO.

MissLori_zpsdtc2a9pr.jpg
Kilov17 (Gallery ID: SimOppresser)
JrTlDGw.jpg
Post edited by Kilov17 on

Comments

• AfterMidnightAfterMidnight Posts: 1,020 Member
    I recommend bumming it out at a park until you've got enough to buy a bed, toilet (or you can use a bush if there's one nearby) and a shower. If you have Outdoor Retreat, you can get a cooler for food so that you don't have to rely on other sims for mooching purposes. The barest necessities should be priority; everything else comes later.
  • Kilov17Kilov17 Posts: 1,795 Member
    @AfterMidnight Thanks; and you know... If I wasn't playing with the Life Span on Long (hope it's legal..) I don't think my Founder will/ would live long enough to have a home to have/ raise an off-spring and have a spouse in LOL. I don't want to play with aging off, not that I think it is/ would be actually within the rules of Legacy and I want to go 100% by the book lol.
    JrTlDGw.jpg
  • butterflyxgirlbutterflyxgirl Posts: 427 Member
    Even though everyone interprets the legacy challenge differently according to play styles, the general rules state that you need to have normal life-span on. I know that when I set up with the legacy, I'll get them a twin bed, a toilet, and a cooler. Everything else I get other places until I have enough money.
    @butterflyxgirl Oops! I got to fix that then... And I am glad I didn't get 'Go to Work' since aliens and abductions are part of it and the rules say you "no restarting after bad events", and my founder or any 'male' to follow getting abducted and giving birth to an alien I would consider a 'bad event'...
    JrTlDGw.jpg
  • kokoro80kokoro80 Posts: 651 Member
    You can change the rules to suit your personal play style. I am playing my legacy on long life span. And I don't necessarily stick to the rule of having to remain on the same 50x50 lot the whole time either. I get too bored staying in the same neighborhood and like the occassional change of scenery. I'm currently doing an alphabet legacy (26 generations) so that is a long time to be stuck on the same lot!

The first order of business for me when starting a new legacy is to buy a bed, the best one you can afford. I use the gym to take a shower, use the toilet and grab snacks from the vending machine.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2017
    I Generally start my Sim off in the open picnic near the library and Gym - after they get their land and get rid of all their money but 1800 dollars so they have what the rules I play by says for money. (I take their money and buy kids and toddler things for the library That way it helps other sims but does not aid my legacy sim in any way);

I have the Sim start skilling between the library and gym (they can also learn to paint at the art gallery easel and sell those paintings) - and eating in the open picnic area and make friends with potential mates. The gym has showers, toilets - and couches my sim can nap on. The library has skill books and computers. I also have my sim look for collectibles - learn to fish etc and sell it all. I have them keep just 2 of each seed and sell the rest too. When I have enough for the bare basics I have my sim get a job on the computer at the library and then spend one last day free skilling on something she/he needs for the job - then send the sim to their lot if they have work the next day - which they usually do. I go from there.

I also prefer the alphabet Legacy which goes for 26 generations - so my founder Sims first and last name starts with A and the last generations name starts with a Z.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    Gyms are great for showers/bathrooms and stuff. Keep an eye out for picnicers cause that's free food.

If u have granite falls pack the tent and shower are super handy as well as the bathroom/woohoo bushes in Get Together, i think??
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    BlueR0se wrote: »
    Gyms are great for showers/bathrooms and stuff. Keep an eye out for picnicers cause that's free food.

If u have granite falls pack the tent and shower are super handy as well as the bathroom/woohoo bushes in Get Together, i think??

bushes from Get Together are also a good place to nap in a pinch
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Aeriexo11Aeriexo11 Posts: 646 Member
    I also play my legacy on Long lifespan. I just don't feel like I can fully enjoy my sims on the normal lifespan, although sometimes I feel like long is "too long!' i miss being able to set each lifestage at different spans.
  • BeaEllaBeaElla Posts: 366 Member
    I play my legacy on a custom lifespan with Mc Command center. Normal is too short and long is just way too long.
    I started with a tent, a cooler, the shower from Outdoor retreat and a toiler which could only be used when alone on the lot lol.
    My chaotic simblr
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,495 Member
    Kilov17 wrote: »
    After the 10,000 (for the 50x 50 lot) and additional 8,200 and having so little left.... I'm guessing one has to eat, sleep & take care of their sim's bathroom needs at/ in other places until one's sim has money to do SOMETHING? lol

I used to have my Sim Founder use the gym to shower.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • SSDSSDSSD2SSDSSDSSD2 Posts: 217 Member
    Just sleep on someone else's property, in a way just live off of them until you get into a few future generations when you've made enough money for a real home, (maybe a mansion), and when you've got that done, have no association with them. That way you don't spend money other than if you want your property bill, and you get to have some luxury. (I'd stay in the Landgraabs home since they are also a 50×50).
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    SSDSSDSSD2 wrote: »
    Just sleep on someone else's property, in a way just live off of them until you get into a few future generations when you've made enough money for a real home, (maybe a mansion), and when you've got that done, have no association with them. That way you don't spend money other than if you want your property bill, and you get to have some luxury. (I'd stay in the Landgraabs home since they are also a 50×50).

In the older games unless your sim was invited to a sleep over that was pretty impossible as they would accuse the Sims of behaving in an inappropriate manner and toss them off their lot. So many of us that play by the older rules just don't do that. We either struggle to get by on the empty big lot or use public venues and parks. It is sort of old school playing and a habit for a lot of us. LOL. I would never consider doing that seeing in the older games that could destroy relationships that used to be hard to get back and were needed for promotions.

Old habits die hard - you could say.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• SSDSSDSSD2SSDSSDSSD2 Posts: 217 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    In the older games unless your sim was invited to a sleep over that was pretty impossible as they would accuse the Sims of behaving in an inappropriate manner and toss them off their lot. So many of us that play by the older rules just don't do that. We either struggle to get by on the empty big lot or use public venues and parks. It is sort of old school playing and a habit for a lot of us. LOL. I would never consider doing that seeing in the older games that could destroy relationships that used to be hard to get back and were needed for promotions.

Old habits die hard - you could say.

In the older games I played as an extreme player who'd get everyone pregnant. If they complained about me staying in their house and sleeping like royalty, no lie: I'd try getting them divorced or broken-up. All of that, and they'd probably raise my sims illegimate children with their now ex-wife. You weren't really going to get someone like my Sim living in poverty even if they were broke without a form of punishment.
    So, I restarted my Legacy; gave my founder a First & Middle name where the 'first name' goes. Most people have middle names and just makes the sim I play feel more 'real'.
    Anyway, put my sim in the library camping out; edited it so sims get the 'flirty' moodlit as it seems to me to draw out any attraction between sims that is or might be there and... BAM!

LegacySim2_zpsscyjarzu.jpg

Actually didn't noticed they were/ did some flirting... Was looking for my sims in this Legacy instead of picking a sim townie to chase after I'd let my sim pick, via the wish 'Kiss _____ for first time', but they flirted to the point it wont appear but--

LegacySim1_zps8p6uzr5i.jpg

I think this other wish that appeared and I think it confirms an attraction. And the sim he likes....

LegacySimCrush_zpsjz6uqft3.jpg

One of the librarians LOL.
    Think it will offer more of an interesting twist to wait for my sim to generally get the 'Kiss _____ for first time' also keep my sim to one romance as it's too easy in Sims 4 to get away with multi romances (not complaining given the 'Serial Romancer' ambition), and just I think it makes it more interesting.

Either look for 'Kiss _____ for first time' or that go steady wish my sim DID get... Also, I am keeping myself to only being allowed in the 'romantic category to 'force' my sim to only use Pickup Line ONCE only per opposite gender sim and Ask If Single any number as it's not really flirting IMO.

And I think I will stay true to the official rules I read... Rule breaking is too easy for me and too easy to run away with myself and go too far with it and in the end find I've ruined all the fun for myself...
    Kilov17 wrote: »

I used to have my Sim Founder use the gym to shower.

I edited the library bathroom... My sim spends so much time there it's too much to have to go from place to place to satisfy his needs... His career requires doing Reading and working on his writing skill in time....
    JrTlDGw.jpg
  • JestinaJestina Posts: 1,609 Member
    Try starting with zero and not leaving the neighborhood. Then it becomes kind of a challenge, until you get an easel and/or a garden going. Starting with some money though and being allowed to travel, you just use the easels on public lots. That's where a lot of challenges need to be changed somewhat as disallowing jobs is no hindrance. Most of the money making in TS4 doesn't involve jobs. You just paint, garden, and sometimes write books, because those pay more than actual jobs.
  • simmerlilly87simmerlilly87 Posts: 195 Member
    @Kilov17 When I started my legacy(like 2 days ago) I just picked the best bed i could, cooler(quick meals) and a toilet. I had my sim shower at the gym and if she was starving I'd have her go around parks to see if someone else had cooked. Parks are great to just visit at for hours cause of the people, fun things, bathrooms, and food.
    Origin Id: SimmerLilly87
    My Showcase Thread
    My Gallery: SimmerLilly87
    96rsyJ5.jpg
  • LaceyroseLaceyrose Posts: 587 Member

I'm now on generation #3 of my legacy sims.. I play strict patriarchy from Pinstar's version.. so that means, I have my sims on normal life, and play with no hacks, mods and cheats. And @Kilov17 .. you should not try and stop ' bad things ' happening.. as this is what will also keep your game fresh and fun !
    Here is how my new legacy family started.. Aaron and Ava Joy .. he wrote books, and she became an artist for their income.

01-14-17_10-20-57PM.png
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    I've never done a legacy playthrough before, but when it comes to dealing with your starting budget, starting with a little house with just a toilet, sink, bed, and fridge is a good money saver. Or, if you have Outdoor Retreat, just buy a cheap tent, set up a fire pit, cooler, sink, and shower stall, and build a little outhouse for the toilet. A stove isn't truly necessary because of the no-cook foods that you can get from a fridge or cooler, bathing with the sink just takes a few rounds of hand washing, and a tent works just as well as a bed if you can use one and has a few entertainment options as well.

Starting out with the bare bones on a tight budget is the easy part. Staying broke is actually the hard part of this game.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
    @Laceyrose
    When the sims go to have/ get their heir... Well, good thing Seasons are only available through an EP/SP only lol...
    But it's not all bad things I'm trying to keep from happening, just don't want any alien off spring. Other bad things are naturally welcome, just not the abduction of my household male sims. I like that there ARE occults but unless the Witch/ Warlock appears in Sims 4, I like playing just normal sims. (Was going to play a vampire but they are like the vampires in Sims 3 Supernatural not like in Sims 3 Late Night so, I'm skipping on it. I'm picky; the Witch/ Warlock for me would be a different story as they can't turn others like the vampire)
    JrTlDGw.jpg
  • LaceyroseLaceyrose Posts: 587 Member

@Kilov17 I am such a huge Sims fan .. and do have all of the different xpansions and packs.. so I do get the aliens and really love the vampires. I'm on gen 3 of my legacy.. and so far, there has only been 3 abductions.. 2 elder males, and my female vampire.. ( lol.. she came back ready to take it out on everyone ).. but, the 2 males did not come back preggers. And as for the vamps turning others into other vampires, the game does not allow it. To turn others, .. it would be your choice for this to be done.
    @Laceyrose I'm sorry, you misunderstood me; I was way too unclear, sorry... I mention vampires being able to turn other sims cause, my point was with just one vampire you CAN using/ through that vampire make more vamps and like in Supernatural, you can make vamps in CAS plus turn sims or have sims request to be turned (Late Night you only got more by having vampire townies turn sims or sims request it from them), so since you can make vampire AND get/ turn other sims into vampires, it makes having a Vampire less exciting for me-- While the Witch you can only Create, but they have no way to turn other sims into Witches period; so since you only have CAS to get them, I WOULD consider playing one. If the Vampires were more like they are in Late Night, I'd play them, but as is too easy to expand the vampire populous IMO... Easy isn't fun IMO.

As far as aliens, I don't even want the risk of ending up with a preggo male sim in my Legacy. The way my luck works, since I really don't want a alien off-spring, if my male sim is abducted HE will get preggo. I know cause many times in the past I wasn't ready to have my sims have a child at said point but they had the wish, I had them try for baby and the female got preggo EVERY time, only fails from time to time when I WANT a child... My luck is lacking.

So no Go To Work to keep from getting a Alien in my Legacy though the police career seems like it's exciting stuff....
    JrTlDGw.jpg
  • BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    tbh alien abductions are REALLY hard to trigger now a days, and let alone getting knocked up by one, at that. Not to mention, you have the option to send the alien child back to it's alien kind, if you don't want it.