Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The sims resource

Is the sims resource safe to have a membership on?! I currently have one and I'm seeing all of these comments on how it has viruses and things from the ads(with my membership I don't get ads ) so I'm wondering if I should just cancel my membership and use tumblr and sites that famous sims YouTubers like life simmer uses?

Comments

• Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    I've had a membership with TSR for well over a year now. I couldn't handle the ads and the long-as-all-get-out-10-seconds-my-eye waiting. I've had no problems and no viruses and I download quite often from there.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    MoonandStars83MoonandStars83 Posts: 1,735 Member
    None of the download items on TSR will give you a virus. It's all safe to use.
    I voted for you, Kevin.
    640?cb=20100910030718
    My Sims 3 Exhange Studio
    My Blog // Click me if you dare.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    It's the ads that are fishy and should not be clicked on. Any site with ads has this problem. I don't have a membership and have downloaded from there with an ad blocker.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    I don't have a membership either, but there's mostly very 🐸🐸🐸🐸 stuff and the things that aren't their creators mostly also have a tumblr or blog so.
  • Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    I don't have a membership but I download from TSR all the time. Never had an issue. I would be cautious of the ads, but since your membership gets rid of them it's fine. But I mean, I've encountered bad ads on other sites too, on sites I generally trust (which is why I no longer browse without adblock). It's not just TSR. I've very nearly gotten viruses off of tumblr downloads (not to mention a lot these days use adfly, which DID give me a trojan and never gave me my download). I don't think it's much if any more risky than anywhere else online.

Frankly TSR is pretty much the only place I download from now, which kind of sucks because their TS3 downloads seem to have slowed way way down. But adfly, so much adfly elsewhere, TSR is definitely safer than that mess.

• Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    edited February 2017
    There's a script on TSR you can block to get rid of their anti-adblock nonsense, but I'd need to find what it is again.

Geez. You'd almost think that if they used less obtrusive, less dangerous ads, more people would whitelist them!

The TS4 content there is better than for other games (and TS4 creators are a lot more draconian about including meshes with recolors and retextures, so I have less of a choice), but I kind of wish I could stay away from TSR. It's both cringey and cute when I see a TS3 player who so, so clearly has just discovered CC and only through TSR. God bless them and their awful photoskinned clothing and distractingly-shiny Newsea hairs.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    HalalloverHalallover Posts: 124 Member
    I have never gotten a virus or anything bad from the sims resource. I've been using them ever since I started playing sims 3 and that was when Sims 3 had first came out. So I think it's pretty safe.
    2dihvli.png
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've downloaded tons of CC from TSR and love most of the stuff I've got installed though I usually convert to package files to install or use CC Magic for kitchen sets.I don't have a membership though I use a script to avoid the ads.I've had far worse issues with malwre from letting Firefox update automatically using a background service than from TSR.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited March 2017
    I would never take membership with TSR. Their business practices have been questionable, such as releasing the full real names and email addresses and some credit card information of subscribers publicly in the past. I wouldn't ever give them my personal details.
    The ads can also be dodgy, I would recommend a good ad blocker.

In the past, I've found a lot of the content to be just photoskinned rubbish, and / or badly created. A lot of the content that caused monster babies and horse people among other things, has come from there. I rarely if ever download from there, and if I want something, I stick strictly to one or two creators.

Edited for clarification.
    Post edited by Pary on
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    SimKeatsSimKeats Posts: 2,186 Member
    I haven't got anything bad from TSR in a long time. Once ages ago, I got something with bad CC. But one could compare that to the Exchange, now thats an easy place to pick up bad cc.
    IMO they DO have shady business practices, and I use ublock origin, which is like adblock. I don't mind waiting if it means not having my browser load like 20 ads at a time per page.
  • Options
    Oh the exchange is dreadful. I never download Sims from there, and I always use an alternate link if one if offered, unless it's someone I trust, like @Rflong7 and her worlds.
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    I can't stand photoskinned content. It's the reason I rarely download from TSR but there are a few talented creators there. When it comes to custom content hosting sites, I prefer modthesims. Sure the selection is slimmer but they have a much better screening system.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    Some of the items downloaded from TSR may not work. I've downloaded items that were broken. Wherever you download things you should check them with Custard and test things to make sure they are not breaking your game when you put them into it.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Pary wrote: »
    I would never take membership with TSR. Their business practices have been questionable, such as releasing the names and addresses and personal information of subscribers publicly in the past. I wouldn't ever give them my personal details.

In the past, I've found a lot of the content to be just photoskinned rubbish, and / or badly created. A lot of the content that caused monster babies and horse people among other things, has come from there. I rarely if ever download from there, and if I want something, I stick strictly to one or two creators.
    Wut...? Why did they do that? That's disgraceful beyond belief.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    I downloaded several hairs from TSR once. I have an ad blocker, so I didn't even see the ads, and definitely didn't click on anything except the links to the items I wanted and downloaded. But I seem to have gotten a virus attached to one of the items I downloaded. I noticed an immediate issue in my game and removed all the items I'd gotten from there, but a few days later, on Friday the 13th, the index file for my installed content seems to have been wiped clean. All of my store and CC items were still there, but the game couldn't read any of them. I had to let the game generate a new Sims 3 folder and reinstall all of my content, and revert to a save of my game from before in installed the hairs I got there. Custard didn't find anything wrong with any of the hairs either.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I would never take membership with TSR. Their business practices have been questionable, such as releasing the names and addresses and personal information of subscribers publicly in the past. I wouldn't ever give them my personal details.

I believe at the time it was in retaliation to what they assumed to be people downloading their pay files from the b.o.o.t.y. TSR used to put trackers into their files according to the folks at PMBD, when they were a pay site. None of the 614 people who's information was leaked in a document was ever proved to be a pirate.
    You used to be able to read about it all on tsr must be destroyed, but that's been closed down now that TSR are no longer a full paysite.

Edit - Also, I must edit part of my first statement. They didn't leak home addresses ( i used wayback machine to go back and check ) they released full real names, email addresses, and some credit card information.

I would just simply be very careful about ever paying them for a sub which might require personal info, that's all.
    Post edited by Pary on
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    I downloaded several hairs from TSR once. I have an ad blocker, so I didn't even see the ads, and definitely didn't click on anything except the links to the items I wanted and downloaded. But I seem to have gotten a virus attached to one of the items I downloaded. I noticed an immediate issue in my game and removed all the items I'd gotten from there, but a few days later, on Friday the 13th, the index file for my installed content seems to have been wiped clean. All of my store and CC items were still there, but the game couldn't read any of them. I had to let the game generate a new Sims 3 folder and reinstall all of my content, and revert to a save of my game from before in installed the hairs I got there. Custard didn't find anything wrong with any of the hairs either.

Custard doesn't find everything. It is just better than nothing. It is an old program that hasn't been kept up to date. It is helpful to see if anything obvious is attached and that's about it.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2017
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

I believe at the time it was in retaliation to what they assumed to be people downloading their pay files from the b.o.o.t.y. TSR used to put trackers into their files according to the folks at PMBD, when they were a pay site. None of the 614 people who's information was leaked in a document was ever proved to be a pirate.
    You used to be able to read about it all on tsr must be destroyed, but that's been closed down now that TSR are no longer a full paysite.

Edit - Also, I must edit part of my first statement. They didn't leak home addresses ( i used wayback machine to go back and check ) they released full real names, email addresses, and some credit card information.

I would just simply be very careful about ever paying them for a sub which might require personal info, that's all.
    Something similar happened to my husband once. A webmaster got cross because of his opinion (it had something to do with conspiracy theories) and then decided to reveal his identity. And I in fact got mad at my husband after that for using his real name and recognizable e-mail adress behind the scenes. "I've got nothing to hide" was his defence, which is true but when this happened that really bothered him a lot. You never know what fools run a website. A warning to all you kids out there ;) Anyway, that sounds really bad, even without the home adresses.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    dest01dest01 Posts: 283 Member
    So should I cancel the paid membership? And are wix sites like homegrown good for sims 3 cc?
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    @dest01: Wix sites will probably not harm your computer, but I personally hate the layouts of most of them. There's one in particular that probably degraded my vision and/or gave me the first stages of retinal neuropathy. I don't wanna name names but it was mostly TS4 content and quickly-made, garbage-tier afros and natural hair. Black sims deserve better. :(
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    @dest01 If it were me I would save the cash and wait the extra 10 seconds with an ad blocker.

If you change tabs while the counter is still counting down, it will pause until the tab is opened again. My trick is to pull the tab out to the side making a separate browser window and continue to do w/e on the other browser window open. If you have Windows 10, you can clip windows to the side of the screen. Hope this makes sense. :)
  • Options
    dest01 wrote: »
    So should I cancel the paid membership? And are wix sites like homegrown good for sims 3 cc?

I can't and wouldn't tell anyone what to do with their memberships or anything, but there are plenty of sites with quality CC.
    MTS, Tumblr has an awesome array, Around the Sims, some older creators that still have downloads on Dreamwidth etc

If you're wanting to host your own content, then most people use Tumblr it seems. There is quite a collection.
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    I've just wasted most of today tracking down a bad cc hair I downloaded from TSR>

I found the bad hair. I went through ALL of the hairs in my folder - about 70 of them. Then there were only 3 left and it was the last one of those 3 that I looked at. I think the chances of that happening are very small. :/

The answer is

NewSea-SIMS3-hair057-Cloud-p

I got it from TSR

Bad_Hair.jpg

When it is the ONLY CC hair in the game, and I put it on my sim toddler the game crashes as soon as I start to save. It does it EVERY time. It if fine in game though until I try to save.

I made a FRESH Sims 3 folder and the ONLY item I had in my mods folder was this hair.

When I put it on my toddler it crashes the game every time.

When I had it in my mods folder with lots of other CC it often saves OK and appears to be fine until you try to open the game and find the game crashes every time so that save becomes irretrievable corrupted.
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    @Karritz Same problem with this hair here. But I didn't remember its name so until now, I didn't know which file I should get rid of. Thanks for posting its name !
  • Options
    Candyd wrote: »
    @Karritz Same problem with this hair here. But I didn't remember its name so until now, I didn't know which file I should get rid of. Thanks for posting its name !

I just spent about 6 hours finding which one it was - that's how I found it's name. I had to find which one it was - or else get rid of all of my CC hair.