Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Supernatural expansion pack in the making. Will it be the next one?

NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
There was a video recently of a recording of a spooky soundtrack by Ilan Eshkeri, which is the main composer for TS4 expansions. The video and tweet was taken down, but here is an image of the tweet:

ilan.png

It leaked before October, so we thought it was going to be for a Halloween stuff pack or game pack, but now we know there is no spooky pack this quarter. The music in that video sounds like something that would play on cas or in a loading screen, and the only time these are added are in expansion packs. One of the songs was a chant with "dracula" being repeated, so it's a pack where at least vampires are featured. But some of the songs were less vampiric and could fit other supernaturals. The gurus hinted at basketball in the next expansion very early this year. How long would it take for this expansion to be released? If I'm not mistaken the expansions take 1 year to be developed, and they are already creating the soundtrack for this one. I don't believe there is a chance for it to be a game pack, because of the songs themselves and the scope of a supernatural pack. But they also hinted at toddlers in Dine Out, so when would a pack with them come around?

Comments

• TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    edited October 2016
    Interesting post - I like all your points but I have to point out that the Gurus have confirmed that Dine Out was not an intentional hint for toddlers, and they actually apologized for that. So we can't really use that as evidence.
  • timefeelertimefeeler Posts: 15 Member
    I was so happy to see this post! and I think it's interesting that it's been taken down...

Well, if we look at release patterns for The Sims 3's expansions... Supernatural was released in September 2012 and Seasons came just two months later in November 2012. I've heard they had two smaller teams working on each pack and that's why their releases were so close together. I imagine, and hope, that the same thing may be happening now.

We know that City Living is coming in November 2016 but gosh that's 11 month's since the previous one! I'm sure they have been working on more than just City Living in that time, and this post regarding some "scary new packs" is exciting
  • timefeelertimefeeler Posts: 15 Member
    also, considering that there was an 11 month gap between Get Together and City Living I hope that we will get at least three full expansions in 2017. I'm personally hoping for Seasons, Generations, or Pets next (we desperately need more family oriented gameplay) but I will be very happy to hear that a Supernatural type pack is coming
  • littlearchitectlittlearchitect Posts: 277 Member
    I don't get why they put the bottle in dine out cooking station. It's like giving us false hope. Sure they could add it for fun but they know how serious the community is when it comes to toddlers. Then, they apologized and explained it's not a hint. Okay, I will take it as chef using baby milk in the food. :D
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon__gif___fan_art__by_hazzaplumbob-dayfe38.gif
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Hmmm. Mad we're doing vampires first but whatever. Not really that significant anymore.

Not entirely true Get to Work and Get Together, took what 8 months in between... and then there's the quality of those packs which is debatable.
    City Living took over a year for obvious reasons.

I mean, I would Bet anything like Seasons, Supernaturals and pets would take the same amount of time (if not more) to create.

It would be best not to release it for halloween 2017 though. No supernatural should.
    But the fact he used "Spooky" to describe it... is a little unsettling and makes me have absolutely no faith in this pack.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    i clearly hope its just a rumor i would much rather see seasons and pets and a true vacation ep first
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
    I don't get why they put the bottle in dine out cooking station. It's like giving us false hope. Sure they could add it for fun but they know how serious the community is when it comes to toddlers. Then, they apologized and explained it's not a hint. Okay, I will take it as chef using baby milk in the food. :D

Not only a bottle but there was a mini stuffed bear on the other station. Quite weird right?
  • Omac16Omac16 Posts: 118 Member

Not only a bottle but there was a mini stuffed bear on the other station. Quite weird right?

It could have been a hint for Kids Room Stuff?
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member

Whatever the case, I'm glad EA are focusing on a Supernatural pack (aka like The Sims 1 days). Having a Supernatural included in almost every pack (some packs like OFB etc didn't) really felt forced and undercooked.

And when you think about it, the fact that most of the Supernaturals in The Sims 3 feel incomplete without the Supernatural pack, kinda shows that it's the best decision.

Aliens fit because of the Scientist Career. But Get Together, City Living etc. having one would have felt forced.
    I mean, take a look at Makin Magic and Supernatural and then take a look at Apartment Life.
    Which games do you think did Witches and Wizards better?

Also, I hope The Sims 4 doesn't make everything a lifestate. The Genie being a Life State really annoyed me. It felt lazy. It was easier to make it a Sim than animate a new creature. The Sims 2 on console nailed it though.

the-sims-2-20050902061607119-000.jpg
    latest?cb=20080816184033
  • MarionOpheliaMarionOphelia Posts: 58 Member

I have also been wondering about that Twitter status... thanks for posting this!
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    There was a video recently of a recording of a spooky soundtrack by Ilan Eshkeri, which is the main composer for TS4 expansions. The video and tweet was taken down, but here is an image of the tweet:

ilan.png

It leaked before October, so we thought it was going to be for a Halloween stuff pack or game pack, but now we know there is no spooky pack this quarter. The music in that video sounds like something that would play on cas or in a loading screen, and the only time these are added are in expansion packs. One of the songs was a chant with "dracula" being repeated, so it's a pack where at least vampires are featured. But some of the songs were less vampiric and could fit other supernaturals. The gurus hinted at basketball in the next expansion very early this year. How long would it take for this expansion to be released? If I'm not mistaken the expansions take 1 year to be developed, and they are already creating the soundtrack for this one. I don't believe there is a chance for it to be a game pack, because of the songs themselves and the scope of a supernatural pack. But they also hinted at toddlers in Dine Out, so when would a pack with them come around?

It's most likely a Gamepack not an Expansion Pack.
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Whatever the case, I'm glad EA are focusing on a Supernatural pack (aka like The Sims 1 days). Having a Supernatural included in almost every pack (some packs like OFB etc didn't) really felt forced and undercooked.

And when you think about it, the fact that most of the Supernaturals in The Sims 3 feel incomplete without the Supernatural pack, kinda shows that it's the best decision.

Aliens fit because of the Scientist Career. But Get Together, City Living etc. having one would have felt forced.
    I mean, take a look at Makin Magic and Supernatural and then take a look at Apartment Life.
    Which games do you think did Witches and Wizards better?

Also, I hope The Sims 4 doesn't make everything a lifestate. The Genie being a Life State really annoyed me. It felt lazy. It was easier to make it a Sim than animate a new creature. The Sims 2 on console nailed it though.

the-sims-2-20050902061607119-000.jpg
    latest?cb=20080816184033

There wasn't a Supernatural in every pack in Sims 2, but there was a new life state. (OFB had Servo.)

I never played Makin' Magic but a lot of people have said it's their favourite pack. That gives me hope that Supernaturals could be done well in Sims 4 even if they only come in one pack, even though I prefer having one new life state in each expansion.
  • bevillebeville Posts: 1,151 Member
    If soo, I hope it comes with a dark creepy world and we be able to turn off supernatural.
  • sb905sb905 Posts: 40 Member
    Even if they don't bring out a supernatural expansion pack I would really like to see some more supernatural sims in game currently we don't have much choice and even with City Living we won't be getting vampires.
  • SimChickeeSimChickee Posts: 402 Member
    I hope not, I never liked making magic or all those supernatural EPs.
  • Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    I wouldn't consider MM a supernatural pack per se just because it's primary focus was magic (witches and wizards). But it was my favorite EP of all time! Looking back it amazes me how much detail they put into making this whole world for magic sims and don't get me started on Magic Town. The festival grounds with all of the activities from riding the roller coasters, the magicians stage, magic duels, pet dragons, charms and spells for adults and children. My favorite object for children was the fairy box (I don't know why). I really need to play TS1 CC again.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • spotharrisspotharris Posts: 112 Member
    I think it could be the gamepack for the Q1. Music would be one of the last things added I think, so they're probably putting some final touches on it.
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    spotharris wrote: »
    I think it could be the gamepack for the Q1. Music would be one of the last things added I think, so they're probably putting some final touches on it.

Agreed. It's likely to be the next GP, whenever that is released. EPs take up to a year to put out and we're just getting one this week, so unless next fall qualifies as 'soon', it's more likely to be a GP.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • EscopeEscope Posts: 42 Member
    I really enjoyed Witches and Fairies in Sims 3, so I would be down.
    They also pulled that tweet and instagram post real quick when it came out, maybe they were concerned with people thinking it was a Halloween related thing?
  • katiekate105katiekate105 Posts: 2 New Member
    I am curious how they would make season work, in part because one of the benefits of 4 is they upload new content in the updates. Frequently tying it it in to whats tie of year it is. Like with the egg challenge and the sugar skull challenge. I really hope they do something w/the seasons, but frankly I am not sure how they would be able to still add content based on the time of year and have seasons, since this go around they are so big on making it 'realistic'. Pets will most defiantly happen (every game generation has had a pet EP). Curious how they will develop seasons
  • tori104tori104 Posts: 7,561 Member
    I loved loved making magic. I loved the new town, the special house lots, the wizard duels, the special vendors. And I hated witches in TS2 because yeah throwing them in with apartments seemed FORCED but at least they got cool evil thrones and a special lot if I'm not just making things up (it has been a very long time since I played ts2) but I loved the cheesy, classic vamp in TS2. I think TS3 did supernatural sims the right way for the most part; it was kind of annoying that EVERY sim seemed to become an occult sim if you left story progression to it's own thing but other than that I adored the supernatural pack. I'm so very sad they haven't added any quirky fantasy things to TS4. I feel like they think it wouldn't market well or something because they seem to believe majority of players are new to the franchise (I guess?) and wouldn't be into such reality killers as witches, faries, vamps, etc. I mean the aliens seem very incognito and maybe I'm just not as lucky but I feel like there are even less abductions than before.
  • GrynnGrynn Posts: 260 Member
    edited November 2016
    If there is ever a supernatural pack for The Sims 4, I hope it is more Makin' Magic than Supernatural.

See, I loved how Supernatural had a LOT of content, but my problem with the pack was the tone, Supernatural was way too "Twilightey", way too happy, fantastic, while Makin' Magic is more "Something Wicked This Way Comes", more dark, weird.

Makin' Magic also didn't have just the same old stereotypical things about supernatural creatures, it was original, look at Bonehilda by instance, unexpected, absurd, funny.

Also Supernatural is a very good example of how basing your work on ephemeral trends is a very bad idea.
    Zombies eating plants? they thought it could be a good reference at the time, now it just sounds stupid and dated, not to mention annoying.
  • SimChickeeSimChickee Posts: 402 Member
    Grynn wrote: »
    If there is ever a supernatural pack for The Sims 4, I hope it is more Makin' Magic than Supernatural.

See, I loved how Supernatural had a LOT of content, but my problem with the pack was the tone, Supernatural was way too "Twilightey", way too happy, fantastic, while Makin' Magic is more "Something Wicked This Way Comes", more dark, weird.

Makin' Magic also didn't have just the same old stereotypical things about supernatural creatures, it was original, look at Bonehilda by instance, unexpected, absurd, funny.

Also Supernatural is a very good example of how basing your work on ephemeral trends is a very bad idea.
    Zombies eating plants? they thought it could be a good reference at the time, now it just sounds plum and dated, not to mention annoying.

I don't like how you can't turn zombies off, yea I mean I like pvz and all but forcing me to endure a zombie hoard when the moon is full eating all my plants is ridiculous, sadly the only fix I've found is turning the moon cycle to something else permanently.
  • HucklekreeHucklekree Posts: 129 Member
    I really hope if a supernaturally themed pack is coming it comes out soon! This is very exciting, at least to me. This pets, seasons and farming would be it for me :)
  • Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    I would definitely welcome a MM reboot. Actually let's just reboot the original sims EPs. Back when they were about something.
    1FKDfKj.png