Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No Life State :( SimGuru Drake Confirmed

Comments

• Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    Awww, I'm sad. So... no dinosaur geneticists or dragon wranglers, either? How are we going to have Simrassic World Neighborhood without dinosaurs or without the Chris Pratt life-state? How are we going to fight the thread without dragons? It's like they've given up.
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    edited September 2016
    Brinn wrote: »
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

Ambitions-mummy, IP- mermaid, Showtime-genie and so on.

World Adventures - mummy, and Ambitions - simbot :smile:

You're right I was more concerned about getting a thought across.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • WindelyWindely Posts: 652 Member
    The team clearly stopped focusing on life states since TS4. It's sad because it has always been one of the major features in this franchise.
    Dina Caliente. ♡ TS2. ♡ Nina Caliente.
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    Neia wrote: »
    I don't understand why others keep saying they don't want supernaturals when the pack would be optional. I don't like the game being strictly stuck on realism and I think that's why I'm bored with it now

As long as it's a dedicated pack about supernatural, I'm fine with it, because indeed it would be optional. But if it's part of another pack (like in City Living for example), it wouldn't be that optional, and since supernaturals are not something I'm interested in, it would make the pack a bit less interesting for me.

Neia, you're one of the most awesome simmers on the forums, and so incredibly helpful with information that I'm always indebted to you. Totally adore you, so don't take this the wrong way, but I want to throw rocks at you every time you say you don't want supernaturals. LOL (little ones, that wouldn't hurt, just annoy... pebbles of love really :winks fondly: ).

Maybe they will include options that allow us to disable supernaturals. <3 I do hope for those, so the peeps that don't enjoy them can still use the items in the packs.

It's ok, supernaturals aren't the only thing I'm not interested in ;) There seems to be quite a lot of people interested in supernaturals so I think it's highly likely they will come one way or another at some point :)
    I don't understand why others keep saying they don't want supernaturals when the pack would be optional. I don't like the game being strictly stuck on realism and I think that's why I'm bored with it now

As long as it's a dedicated pack about supernatural, I'm fine with it, because indeed it would be optional. But if it's part of another pack (like in City Living for example), it wouldn't be that optional, and since supernaturals are not something I'm interested in, it would make the pack a bit less interesting for me.

Neia think about your most fervent wish you have for TS4. The thing you hope will be added to make it a much more special and rewarding game for you and then go into to the forum and have someone tell you they hope it's never added because they don't like it.

If it's something I really really want, the latest thing I want is to see it being shoehorn into a pack that focus on something else. Because it won't be the focus and it's fairly unlikely they'll do another one about it. So let's say school for example, I sure hope it won't come as superheroes school. And I'm not bothered active schools or seasons aren't included in City Living because I'd rather see those get a full pack worth of content.

I never said I hope they never add supernaturals by the way. They can make lots of supernatural packs if they want, I'll just wait for the more realistic ones I like, that's all. I skipped the Halloween one for example, or Making Magic for TS1, because I'm not interested in that, it's not a big deal. But I'd rather they don't shoehorn supernaturals everywhere, in packs where they aren't the focus. And especially if they aren't unavoidable or can't be disabled. I believe there's a lot of other ways they could add supernaturals, either in EPs or even GPs.

So going with that direction...now is it that previous EPs have all added an alternate life state and they didn't feel shoehorned in?

For me, they felt shoehorned in actually. Your mileage may vary of course.
    I expect a life state in an EP, why? Because they said that EPs are supposed to cover as many play styles as possible (the big ones probably being: Family/Generational, rotational, deviant and casual). Playing with supernaturals is a big part of a play styles, so it is fair that people that play mostly with supernaturals do not have to wait 5 or 6 EPs until there is something for them.

That's not what they mean by covering as many plat styles as possible and you know it.

So, according to your theory, this EP should have supernaturals in it. What about pets, seasons, generations, etc. because people love those too. Don't they get what they want in this EP according to your theory?

It's really different. EPs have always (until now) included an alternate life state. Ambitions-mummy, IP- mermaid, Showtime-genie and so on. They haven't gone about adding the things you mentioned in the same way. They didn't add rain to one EP and then add snow to another. They didn't add dogs in one EP and then add cats to another. Pets and Season have historically been separate EPs while Supernatural was the first EP to include so many life states.

But they told us in that interview that supernaturals in every EP were never meant to be a tradition, it just worked out that way. They never said that there would not be any supernaturals, just not to expect them in every EP.

We're talking about two different trains of thought.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright

Neia, you're one of the most awesome simmers on the forums, and so incredibly helpful with information that I'm always indebted to you. Totally adore you, so don't take this the wrong way, but I want to throw rocks at you every time you say you don't want supernaturals. LOL (little ones, that wouldn't hurt, just annoy... pebbles of love really :winks fondly: ).

Maybe they will include options that allow us to disable supernaturals. <3 I do hope for those, so the peeps that don't enjoy them can still use the items in the packs.

It's ok, supernaturals aren't the only thing I'm not interested in ;) There seems to be quite a lot of people interested in supernaturals so I think it's highly likely they will come one way or another at some point :)

Neia think about your most fervent wish you have for TS4. The thing you hope will be added to make it a much more special and rewarding game for you and then go into to the forum and have someone tell you they hope it's never added because they don't like it.

If it's something I really really want, the latest thing I want is to see it being shoehorn into a pack that focus on something else. Because it won't be the focus and it's fairly unlikely they'll do another one about it. So let's say school for example, I sure hope it won't come as superheroes school. And I'm not bothered active schools or seasons aren't included in City Living because I'd rather see those get a full pack worth of content.

I never said I hope they never add supernaturals by the way. They can make lots of supernatural packs if they want, I'll just wait for the more realistic ones I like, that's all. I skipped the Halloween one for example, or Making Magic for TS1, because I'm not interested in that, it's not a big deal. But I'd rather they don't shoehorn supernaturals everywhere, in packs where they aren't the focus. And especially if they aren't unavoidable or can't be disabled. I believe there's a lot of other ways they could add supernaturals, either in EPs or even GPs.

So going with that direction...now is it that previous EPs have all added an alternate life state and they didn't feel shoehorned in?

A mummy didn't fit in with going to Egypt?
    An imaginary friend didn't fit with kids in a generations theme?
    A mermaid didn't fit in with Island paradise?
    A simbot didn't fit with Ambitions and the inventor career?

I'd really like to know what you think they should fit with.
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member

I was thinking of TS2, I never played with any TS3 EPs so I can't comment on their life states. But in TS2, if you wanted zombies, you needed University, or Apartments to play Witches. And if what I read on the forum is right, magic was better done in Making Magic than in Apartements. I think zombies would be far better served in a GP with some graveyard or voodoo content for example, perhaps an alchemy skill.

Don't forget that EPs have limited ressources and a life state in an EP won't have all of them allocated to it. That's why I'd rather have school gets its own pack for example rather than be a small part of another one. Of course, I'm assuming people want life states that are more in-depth than a skin color and a funny walkstyle.
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    Polyrhythm wrote: »
    Aine wrote: »
    I can understand that, I don't want supernaturals in all my stories either, that's why I want options. Options to turn certain life states off, and more options for when I do include them in my stories. The aliens of Sims 4 is a good example - I don't play them because I want them to seem more human even when not disguised. The game limits the way they look as aliens and not disguised, and I really want a disguise to be more like changing skin tone, hair and eyes, but still look like they look when they are not in disguise. I can't even keep the facial features for their disguise, because the game won't let me, there's no option for it. This detail changes the whole thing for me, so I don't want to play them.

I believe this is possible by creating the alien as human to begin with, then adding the alien trait with cheats. You can then use full edit mode to set alien skintone etc, if you don't like the random one chosen.

Hmm, I dunno, would that actually work? Could you set a disguise etc? and would that disguise be able to have the same facial features?

The post I learned it from said that the human sim becomes a disguised alien (the human you designed is the disguise) and that the undisguised alien had the same features.

I haven't tested it, but it's worth a try?

Okay, but I don't understand, how does it work? If I create a sim a adds alien traits, how is the alien sim created?

Well once you add the trait they are an alien in disguise. You can change your sim out of their disguise and if you don't like their randomly asigned alien genetics (skin/eyes) you can use CAS full edit mode cheat and alter those details (and alien clothes/hair/markings etc) in CAS.

So, when you change them out of their disguise, the game assigns a random alien template? That kind of defeats the purpose of doing it, since I want the alien to look just like the human form, except with a different skintone, eyes or other details.
    Yes. That's the issue I had when trying to play as an alien version of Bob Pancakes...gave him the trait, and when he went into his alien form he didn't have his human body shape or facial features. Then when I disguised him again he didn't even look like Bob. Tried it with Nina, Bella, and Joaquin with the same results :/
    zZdaszT.png

Ah, so you tested it? Like I said, I didn't. I just read about being able to add the trait.

Yeah, that's my issue, I want the facial features to be the same as an alien as a human. It's virtually impossible to accomplish with how the game handles aliens. :(
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 963 Member
    They should have added a new life state. This new EP looks just like Get Together with (deco) skyscrapers.
    All Set. I'm done.
    giphy.gif

Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
    Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3

I was thinking of TS2, I never played with any TS3 EPs so I can't comment on their life states. But in TS2, if you wanted zombies, you needed University, or Apartments to play Witches. And if what I read on the forum is right, magic was better done in Making Magic than in Apartements. I think zombies would be far better served in a GP with some graveyard or voodoo content for example, perhaps an alchemy skill.

Don't forget that EPs have limited ressources and a life state in an EP won't have all of them allocated to it. That's why I'd rather have school gets its own pack for example rather than be a small part of another one. Of course, I'm assuming people want life states that are more in-depth than a skin color and a funny walkstyle.

Each TS2 EP had a life state. Sometimes playable, sometimes NPC but they were always there. TS3 had a life state in each EP plus an entire EP of their own. All of these life states were whole creatures doing what they were supposed to do. Two years into TS4....just aliens and that's a sort of.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Tradition or no, supernaturals are something very specific to certain playstyles and I think adding them on a non-supernatural pack without giving the fans the means to disable them, is a really bad move. You may like supernaturals, but there are many others who don't, or maybe just want to play a more realistic save where supernaturals don't exist. But they don't get the option to do so, unless they skip an entire EP that adds other useful, non-supernatural content. Besides, look what happened to aliens. Alien abductions and male pregnancy was tuned down immensely because of people complaining. You really want something similar to happen to other lifestates that are crammed in on another EP? If a Supernatural EP ever gets released, I'll be happy for both those who wants them as well as those who don't, because then they can just ignore said EP.
    Which is why I took the genies for an example. If you don't want them there is no way you'll ever see them (you have to find a dusty old lamp first which takes effort and even if you have one, you have to summon them). Freeing them is a sum of quite complicated routines. If you don't do that: no genie. If you do like the life state like me, it means years of enjoying them in your game (they completely blend in with the rest of your family and genies in your world won't perform any tricks when not controlled). My point is, in no way have life states that came with EP's been poorly done because of that and the supernaturally themed EP didn't have the better life states. There simply is no connection there. And the aliens didn't affect the quality of the rest of that EP, weather in Sims 3 is amazing and the festivals are fun. I think people are put off by experiences with vampires in Late Night and the aliens in GTW because they were a plague in the beginning. It's sad bad implementation has become an argument in discussions among fans. They just should think it through properly and implement those life states in ways that don't bother people who don't care for them.

I know people who loved the furniture in Supernatural by the way and regretted not being able to buy the EP in the beginning because they didn't care for the - then compulsory - supernaturals. So even a supernaturally themed EP will leave people who don't care for them sad.

If Maxis would bring in new lifestates with each pack BUT would make them so they are optional, I would be totally fine with it. In TS2 they did this very well, because they would have to be triggered by the player in order to show up on the world. Aliens in GTW should've been this way too, specially since they have their own world and everything! In order for them to show up on the Sims worlds, you should have to discover them first by travelling to their world. If you don't, then you have zero aliens in your world (unless you create them of course). But it doesn't happen this way, they are forced on the player. I may see a lovely townie going down the street and decide I want my sim to meet her and marry her but then I find out she is actually an alien. Same goes to the doctor career and finding out certain sims are aliens.

I'm not opposed to supernaturals being added to the game. I don't like to see people saying "I hope they never add supernaturals" and I would never say something like that because I know it means a lot to many people (just like I hate when people say "I hope they never add toddlers" when they mean so much to me and many others.) I just want options to bypass them! Either give me a toggle to turn them off like TS3, or make them so players have to trigger their appearance, or just add them on a Supernatural EP so I can ignore it.

My "issue" with supernaturals isn't because they are plague, it's simply because I don't want them in my game because they don't fit with my stories. And yes, people will still want to buy the Supernatural EP because it adds good furniture, but then they can't complain about their games being infested with supernaturals, because well, they decided to buy a Supernatural pack after all, so they knew what they were getting themselves into. I think both sides have to make a few sacrifices in the end.
    I love the supernaturals, but I hated everyone in town would turn into one. Like I hated it when all kind of relatives of my sims would turn into vampires when Late Night had just been released. Liking supernaturals in your game doesn't mean you want the whole town to turn into one ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited September 2016

In what way? I'm not sure what's meant exactly by 'shoehorned in'.

Sorry, should have read before asking, you explain it later in reaction to @PHOEBESMOM601 ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
    I expect a life state in an EP, why? Because they said that EPs are supposed to cover as many play styles as possible (the big ones probably being: Family/Generational, rotational, deviant and casual). Playing with supernaturals is a big part of a play styles, so it is fair that people that play mostly with supernaturals do not have to wait 5 or 6 EPs until there is something for them.

I have a feeling that Maxis think that silly costumes (like bear, racoon, tragic clown) are good alternative instead of new life states. They are not. In fact I would like to turn off these plum costumes.
    Is he new?

racoon_zpsgaj7nut1.png

I think the bears are rather funny to be honest, especially when they join in a pub :D But they've got nothing to do with supernaturals I agree. I prefer supernaturals that look human anyway. I really like that aspect of Sims 4 aliens.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • AuricchiaAuricchia Posts: 59 Member
    They should have added a new life state. This new EP looks just like Get Together with (deco) skyscrapers.
    All Set. I'm done.

I agree with you
    @Nymesand on Twitter nymesims4 on Instagram
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member

I have a feeling that Maxis think that silly costumes (like bear, racoon, tragic clown) are good alternative instead of new life states. They are not. In fact I would like to turn off these plum costumes.
    Is he new?

racoon_zpsgaj7nut1.png

I think the bears are rather funny to be honest, especially when they join in a pub :D But they've got nothing to do with supernaturals I agree. I prefer supernaturals that look human anyway. I really like that aspect of Sims 4 aliens.

Yeah, two words, road kill.

I like to keep my supernaturals human too, if that makes sense.

They have everyday problems, financial issues making that coin, Dealing with Insecurities.
    My Sorcerer isn't always going to be hovering over the cauldron with his nose in his spell book, collecting ingredients, either.

I Just say Supernaturals, and magic is basically a spice that gives the game an interesting kick.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • bythedreadwolfbythedreadwolf Posts: 832 Member
    Tradition or no, supernaturals are something very specific to certain playstyles and I think adding them on a non-supernatural pack without giving the fans the means to disable them, is a really bad move. You may like supernaturals, but there are many others who don't, or maybe just want to play a more realistic save where supernaturals don't exist. But they don't get the option to do so, unless they skip an entire EP that adds other useful, non-supernatural content. Besides, look what happened to aliens. Alien abductions and male pregnancy was tuned down immensely because of people complaining. You really want something similar to happen to other lifestates that are crammed in on another EP? If a Supernatural EP ever gets released, I'll be happy for both those who wants them as well as those who don't, because then they can just ignore said EP.
    Which is why I took the genies for an example. If you don't want them there is no way you'll ever see them (you have to find a dusty old lamp first which takes effort and even if you have one, you have to summon them). Freeing them is a sum of quite complicated routines. If you don't do that: no genie. If you do like the life state like me, it means years of enjoying them in your game (they completely blend in with the rest of your family and genies in your world won't perform any tricks when not controlled). My point is, in no way have life states that came with EP's been poorly done because of that and the supernaturally themed EP didn't have the better life states. There simply is no connection there. And the aliens didn't affect the quality of the rest of that EP, weather in Sims 3 is amazing and the festivals are fun. I think people are put off by experiences with vampires in Late Night and the aliens in GTW because they were a plague in the beginning. It's sad bad implementation has become an argument in discussions among fans. They just should think it through properly and implement those life states in ways that don't bother people who don't care for them.

I know people who loved the furniture in Supernatural by the way and regretted not being able to buy the EP in the beginning because they didn't care for the - then compulsory - supernaturals. So even a supernaturally themed EP will leave people who don't care for them sad.

If Maxis would bring in new lifestates with each pack BUT would make them so they are optional, I would be totally fine with it. In TS2 they did this very well, because they would have to be triggered by the player in order to show up on the world. Aliens in GTW should've been this way too, specially since they have their own world and everything! In order for them to show up on the Sims worlds, you should have to discover them first by travelling to their world. If you don't, then you have zero aliens in your world (unless you create them of course). But it doesn't happen this way, they are forced on the player. I may see a lovely townie going down the street and decide I want my sim to meet her and marry her but then I find out she is actually an alien. Same goes to the doctor career and finding out certain sims are aliens.

I'm not opposed to supernaturals being added to the game. I don't like to see people saying "I hope they never add supernaturals" and I would never say something like that because I know it means a lot to many people (just like I hate when people say "I hope they never add toddlers" when they mean so much to me and many others.) I just want options to bypass them! Either give me a toggle to turn them off like TS3, or make them so players have to trigger their appearance, or just add them on a Supernatural EP so I can ignore it.

My "issue" with supernaturals isn't because they are plague, it's simply because I don't want them in my game because they don't fit with my stories. And yes, people will still want to buy the Supernatural EP because it adds good furniture, but then they can't complain about their games being infested with supernaturals, because well, they decided to buy a Supernatural pack after all, so they knew what they were getting themselves into. I think both sides have to make a few sacrifices in the end.
    I love the supernaturals, but I hated everyone in town would turn into one. Like I hated it when all kind of relatives of my sims would turn into vampires when Late Night had just been released. Liking supernaturals in your game doesn't mean you want the whole town to turn into one ;)

I know that, I didn't say otherwise. I get that many like supernaturals but hate when they are so abundant. Some people even like certain supernaturals but dislike others. But personally I don't want any supernaturals even if they are rare, you know? Because there's always a chance they will show up (like the aliens in disguise). That's what I was trying to say anyway. But that doesn't mean I don't think they shouldn't be added at all. I just want options to not have them, but not buying an entire EP that has nothing to do with supernatural shouldn't exactly be an option, in my opinion. I also get that all previous games added lifestates in EPs, which is why I understand where you are coming from, but like I said, tradition or no, I never agreed with that method.
  • fakefake Posts: 613 Member
    @friendlysimmers said as zombies
    @friendlysimmers it's just that I want to have Life State Vampires On The Sims 4 City Living Expansion Pack Or As The Sims 2 Nightlife or As The Sims 3: Late Night
    @friendlysimmers you Bad if Zombie Fun Ok :'(
    I am sad for normal sims in The Sims 4 Expansion Pack I am sad :'(
    I am sad only normal sims in The Sims 4 Expansion Pack I am sad
    @SimGuruGraham can Add To The Sims 4 Get Together Not Life State Vampire The Sims 4 Get Together With New Update And New Life State Black Knight Take pictures if Black Knight Take This From Scooby Doo 2
    @dmel25 thanks for Concept Art Werewolf in The Sims 4 Thanks :)
  • XMachiaXXMachiaX Posts: 122 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »
    I'm really glad they've stopped adding new life states in each EP. That was such a bad trend started by TS2.

I agree with that. I think it's cool that they focus on one theme and don't add stuff that wouldn't match the whole concept.
  • BrinnBrinn Posts: 327 Member
    XMachiaX wrote: »
    elelunicy wrote: »
    I'm really glad they've stopped adding new life states in each EP. That was such a bad trend started by TS2.

I agree with that. I think it's cool that they focus on one theme and don't add stuff that wouldn't match the whole concept.

Personally I would like to have an occult state in each EP than having a supernatural EP. I didn't like the idea of TS3:Supernatural at all. And it's very selfish to say that it's cool not to add a new life states in EPs, because a new creature is just a small feature that is essential for many players. It's the same like if you say: "please, please no more toddlers! Focus on other stuff, because I never liked them!"