Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will Sims 3 Seasons lag my game?

I am thinking of purchasing The Sims 3 Seasons but I am afraid that it will lag my game a lot. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited September 2016
    Hi there. Seasons is the EP with the second heaviest drain on performance, Pets is first place winner. But its impact is totally going to depend on your computer system and how many other EPs you have in play. Some find that they cannot run Seasons at all, others that they can but the game lags whenever it snows heavily or something like that, and many don't feel the impact at all.

If you are on Windows and could supply us with a dxdiag report, we could make a more informed prediction. You would have to paste the results of the report in by sections into several responses as it will be way too long to fit into one. Also please mention how many EPs (and which ones) you already have.
    https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information

If you are on a Mac, please say so as that would require a different conversation.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    It's a good idea to figure out if your computer is up to the task, so I recommend doing what igazor said. :smile:

My computer is a pretty good one, and it plays Sims 3 pretty smoothly with about 3gb of CC (it's awesome if I take the CC out but I can't play without my CC), but I still get a bit of lag with the weather effects. When it's winter, I usually just cheat to get snow on the ground so it doesn't lag while it's snowing. Or sometimes I just keep all the weather effects off permanently, for some games.
  • Options
    clay22262clay22262 Posts: 14 New Member
    Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 10586) (10586.th2_release.160802-1857)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
    System Model: Inspiron 7347
    BIOS: A00
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4010U CPU @ 1.70GHz (4 CPUs), ~1.7GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 4020MB RAM
    Page File: 2089MB used, 4712MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: 12
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    Miracast: Available, with HDCP
    Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
    DxDiag Version: 10.00.10586.0000 64bit Unicode
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    @clay22262 You would need to post the rest of your dxdiag in sections in several posts. Esspecially the display device section of the dxdiag. We need to see your video card but I suspect it can't handle seasons. What I can read of what you posted your processor is weak to run this game and your ram is low for this game
  • Options
    Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
    Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
    Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
    DAC type: Internal
    Device Type: Full Device
    Display Memory: 2122 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 112 MB
    Shared Memory: 2010 MB
    Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
    Monitor Model: unknown
    Native Mode: 1366 x 768(p) (60.064Hz)
    Output Type: Internal
    Driver File Version: 20.19.0015.4331 (English)
    Driver Version: 20.19.15.4331
    DDI Version: 12
    Feature Levels: 11.1,11.0,10.1,10.0,9.3,9.2,9.1
    Driver Model: WDDM 2.0
    Graphics Preemption: Primitive
    Compute Preemption: Thread group
    Miracast: Supported
    Hybrid Graphics GPU: Integrated
    Power P-states: Not Supported
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
  • Options
    @clay22262 Your computer overall does not meet the requirements to run this game. The game could damage your Laptop. I would not add seasons or anything else to what you already have installed with this game. Invest in a cooling pad for your laptop if you don't have one. Don't play for long periods of time. You won't be able to play larger saves. You will eventually run into error code 12 for not having enough computer memory to run this game. You will probably have to start new games more frequently because your computer won't be able to handle larger saves.
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13 Will getting more ram help?
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    @clay22262 Adding ram to have 8gb ram instead of 4gb will help a little to where you may not get error code 12. That is if your computer is designed to add more ram and if your computer is not under warranty however your processor and video card are too weak for this game. Your processor and video card are one and sharing ram with windows 10, the game, origin and other programs. This game does require a mid range gaming desktop or higher end gaming laptop. Especially for the more demanding eps like seasons, pets, ITF and IP. You need a gaming video card to render these eps and you cant change video card or processor in a laptop. Adding more ram will just help with game error codes but wont help when it comes to running seasons
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I have to agree with @phoebebebe13 (of course), but just wanted to add something. On that particular processor even with more RAM added (if possible), one would unfortunately expect that the EPs released after Ambitions, which is most of them, actually won't even startup. Players then end up staring at a black screen until they eventually realize or are informed that the program has crashed. So we're not talking about quality of play or lag during weather here, but rather the likelihood that the heavier EPs just won't run as that processor just won't be able to keep up with the instructions fast enough that the game is throwing at it during launch.

For the base game only or with the earlier EPs though, here is a page that provides some tips for playing on systems with integrated graphics in case that's helpful.
    http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Onboard_Graphics
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net