Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you play Sims 4?

I'm looking for ideas on new ways to play the Sims 4. I've always been a family/generational player but without toddlers and with culling of ghosts, it's just sad and frustrating to try to play this game this way. However, I spent money on this game and there are some aspects of the game that I really like. So what I wanna know is, how do you guys play?

Comments

• Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Mod the hell out of it and play my way :grin:
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Seriously though. Yes, I use mods so I can set the game up as I like. I started in one game with two charismatic sims - one evil, the other good. I rotate between them and they both have the objective of ruling the world through the establishment of a cult network. I use mods to extend the GT club system for this.

My other faction are the aliens. If a male gets impregnated, I kill them when the alien baby is born - no exceptions (think the film Alien). I have lots of other dysfunctional stuff going on as well :) I also rotate to my 'civilian' sims who have been caught up in these events who still have to deal with the minutiae of life.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options
    FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    Black widow challenge B)
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    Black widow challenge B)

What's that? Just the basic rules? :smile:
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    Right now I don't have any mods in my game because my style of play doesn't lead to any culling or any of the other bugs others seen plagued with. I play one household and my main adult sim is completing all the aspirations, careers, collectibles, running a shop, managing a restaurant, etc. It's not a playstyle forced upon me because of the game's mechanics but the way I've played all versions. I've always played one family with no rotation.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    altg1229 wrote: »
    I'm looking for ideas on new ways to play the Sims 4. I've always been a family/generational player but without toddlers and with culling of ghosts, it's just sad and frustrating to try to play this game this way. However, I spent money on this game and there are some aspects of the game that I really like. So what I wanna know is, how do you guys play?

I don't believe I've lost a single ghost so far. I'm playing the Pinstar Legacy Challenge, however. One lot only, all the tombstones go in the back yard under a tree in the corner. And my Founder's wife invited his ghost to move in, so that's a first for me. I don't normally play ghosts. While I sorely miss toddlers, I refuse to allow that to force me into playing this game any other way. I've played the Sims since August 2005 starting with Sims2. The only real changes I've made in how I play since I began, is to play with High Free Will slammed all they way on. I also stopped playing with aging off, once Sims3 came along and we had Epic with those happy sliders allowing me to finely tune my Sims' lives, if you will. How long per age stage.

Yes, I'm that stubborn. I do confess I don't watch the baby come flinging out of the bassinet into an eight-year-old child. Even after all of this time (and I've had this game since release) I still find it jarring. Creepy. Revolting. Hope your reading this, EA. But I still focus on the family.

I suppose that's not much help to you. Or maybe it's just enough to set you free? I don't know. Sometimes we need a little work-around. I do find it hard to space the children in a family, but I've made whole families in the past and just took the eldest child to the cake when I wanted to and not worried about how much time was left on his 'clock' before he morphs on his own. That allows me to space them.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    MMXMMX Posts: 4,428 Member
    I sort of play it as an RPG where I aim to build skills, friendships and advance through careers, usually playing as one Sim. Old as dirt, but works for me.
  • Options
    GypsyPrinceGypsyPrince Posts: 118 Member
    You don't
    83PJQvj.gif
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited July 2016
    Playing with mods, making CC, and you might like the Minecraft rags to riches approach. Basically crafting with wood to furnish your house and collect and fish around the neighborhoods. Tough finding my styles to work well in the Sims 4 without the help of mods.

Usually I play the Sims games deviantly because I'm a major Sims pyro, building up houses and changing the neighborhood layout, with family, rotationally, and making my own bios for Sims and their families.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    rotationally!
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,596 Member
    Right now I don't have any mods in my game because my style of play doesn't lead to any culling or any of the other bugs others seen plagued with. I play one household and my main adult sim is completing all the aspirations, careers, collectibles, running a shop, managing a restaurant, etc. It's not a playstyle forced upon me because of the game's mechanics but the way I've played all versions. I've always played one family with no rotation.

That's me as well.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Options
    MMXMMX Posts: 4,428 Member
    You don't
    83PJQvj.gif
    Please tell me you didn't look for a thread like this just to post that.
  • Options
    IfreshyehIfreshyeh Posts: 1,403 Member
    I'm in your position right now. Every time I think of starting up the game, I just look at the little icon and do something else instead.
  • Options
    glorificaglorifica Posts: 258 Member
    i no longer play s4.

i'm naturally a deviant chaosplayer. not possible/fun in happylalaland so i stopped that.
    i tried challenges and for a while and they were fun. but it got repetitive and boring way to quickly.
    so i tried rotational play. again, fun for a while but got boring even more quickly.
    i even tried generational play. but honestly - whenever my simbabies age up to kids i lose all interest in and connection to them.
    i tried just doing cas but i'm reeeal bad at making sims after a certain image or person and the gallery is full to the brim with beautifus sims. but i just see no way of playing them.
    when all else failed i spent some time just building houses. that was nice for a while but with no terrain editing there is only so much i could do before it got boring again. and on top of that i've begun hating the neighborhood with there nonaccessible backrops, it just NEVER feels like my world.

so i just don't bother with s4 anymore. however i have tried to alter my playstyle, it hasn't made my game fun or enjoyable for more than a few hours. s4 is just a lifeless shell to me, it looks nice and shiny but the sims are robots without feelings and it's just sad.
    simming on through.
  • Options
    JerrelloJerrello Posts: 896 Member
    Rotational. My sims are all connected in some way with their own background stories. I kinda want to play a separate save with two of my main sims as kids and their father as a young adult to explain how they became who they are.
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I get bored to quickly to have formed a playing style for TS4
    I need vampires to spice things up.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    K1234554321K1234554321 Posts: 95 Member
    You can try the 100 boyfriend challenge... I don't know if this a real challenge or not I just came up with it XD :lol:
  • Options
    turmalina007turmalina007 Posts: 118 Member
    Yesterday I started playing with Mona Uniflora,a ghost sim and I am trying to create a story for the first time. When you play so slow to take pictures,you noticed how funny sims can be with those facial expressions :smiley:
  • Options
    LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    I play rotationally. I play each family for one sim week and then move on. I play all families in all neighbourhoods. My favourite part is to see who end up with whom, and how families intertwined. I give each sim a backstory and play with lots of drama. All of them have a specific life goal. Like Eliza Pancakes wants to own Chez Lama the restaurant, while her husband Bob just wants to chill. They have one daughter, who is a teenager and in a relationship with a male teenager from Windenburg.

It takes a while to get down a few generations, but it is super interesting to see how neighbourhoods change and families leave and enter.
    I have played this way since Sims 1 and I love it. Sims 3 made my game style very difficult so I am glad it's back!
  • Options
    wickedjr89wickedjr89 Posts: 1,777 Member
    edited July 2016
    I'm playing The Goth Family and planning on doing a legacy with them. I have mods but try to keep it to a minimum but MC Command Center is awesome with the no culling (I use the get_pop cheat so when it gets too much I can cull the sims I want to cull rather than the game taking those I care about/need for the story) and the pregnancy module for it so Sims in the background will get married and have kids on their own.

Right now they are mostly just living life, trying to get by and save money. Figuring out who the kids are (Made them have another-Elizabeth Goth, and then Mortimer was abducted by aliens and they got Sophia Goth, so now their is 4 kids) and what they want to do in life. Looking at potential future partners..

I plan on building them a bigger home on a different lot but they will need to get the money to buy it. Also thinking of maybe adding in some made-up sim religions. And thinking of things along the way, different events, scenarios, what they are thinking/feeling..
  • Options
    OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
    edited August 2016
    I play Challenges to make things a little more interesting until we get new game-play (family play, etc); and with the gameplay we have now, the challenges get updated and "add" to the rules and it's great. :)

There's a ton of challenges available, but could depend on your playstyle.

For me, I love the following challenges:

The Four Immortal Sisters Challenge:
    Basically you create four Sisters based off the four elements. Fire, Earth, Water and Air and they each have their own tasks, skills, etc to do. For instance, Fire has to go out and find guys to chat up and get pregnant so that she can fill the world with their offspring. None of them are allowed to get married and only Fire and Earth are allowed to leave the house. However, Fire cannot take care of her children, she can only take care of herself while pregnant, and then she has to go out and get another baby. (:

Water has to take care of the babies once their born, she has to cook and clean too. Then Air has to teach them to study, take care of them when their children, and Earth has to go out and fish to make money for the family along with the cow-plants you'll need to give them "Immortality". (they're not allowed to get jobs. Well.. only two can.. but you have to choose wisely and I just have my Air Sister get a job.. and I also made up a few extra rules for my challenge).

It's actually a really fun challenge, one of my favorites; and it keeps me on my toes because there's so much to do and usually when I'm playing, I'm like. D: "What do I do now?" but it's never like that with this challenge as I always have something to keep me busy. :)

The Legacy Challenge:
    You probably already know about this one... and I try to stay away from it a little too because I'm waiting for more expansion packs before I truly play this.. and... the T word. :o.

The 100 Baby Challenge:
    I'm actually having a lot of fun with this; and definitely when T releases, I'll be doing this challenge over, but it is allowing me to experience the kids content; and I'm excited to see how they are when they're teens, etc. But it does make me miss the little precious T a lot. :(

But those are just some of the ones I'm doing now.. and of course, I want to look into the Big Sister Challenge, Black Widow (I don't know.. I'm curious about it.. but haven't read anything on it yet), and the drifter challenge.

You can find more information about all these channels at this thread: It will have links to more information. (:

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/788042/list-of-challenges-legacy-and-other-for-sims-4/p1

Good luck and I hope you find something to make the game fun/interesting again for you. (:
    Post edited by OneAdorkableGirl on
  • Options
    Callum2000Callum2000 Posts: 802 Member
    I like to play different challenges created by other players. Heres a link to them if you wanted to check them out :)http://simscommunity.info/the-sims-4-challenges/