Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Slow Downloads

I am also having slow download speeds from Origin. I have made sure every device, (phone, tablet, xbox, other pc's) are shut off. I have restarted my computer, flushed dns, restarted the router. Nothing seems to help me download games faster. The only apps running on my pc at the moment are origin and chrome. I made sure that nothing is syncing in the background such as adobe or msoffice. I am not using any proxies or VPN. I have run speedtests and verified that my computer is connecting at 30Mbps. I doubled checked my firewall settings to make sure Origin has a profile and run the application as administrator. When I start a download from Origin I notice that it starts at 25Mbps and then drops all the way down to 1.2Mbps. This is a painful experience to watch as a 10 gig game should not take me hours to download. I am at a loss and don't know what else to do.

Comments

• Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    Hello
    I am sorry that your cownloads are taking a long time to download. Perhaps try uninstalling and reinstalling origin and see if that helps,
  • Options
    GhedrainGhedrain Posts: 48 Member
    Thanks Rose, I will certainly attempt that.
  • Options
    A reinstallation of Origin did not help. I was able to download the origin installation file in under a second though. My game just will not download at anything more than 1.5Mbps.
  • Options
    I have been trying to find help for your slow download issue.
    A EA manager has some suggestions in this link.
    http://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin/how-do-i-get-the-sims-4-to-download-faster/td-p/4384096
    Perhaps try the suggestion to " Pause and resume the download "
    Also try doing a clean boot then downloading the game.
    I am sorry that it takes so long to download for you.
  • Options
    Yeah, I tried all of those things you linked when i first noticed the problem. I never would have needed to do a fresh game installation but I got a new computer. I just think something is throttling my download speeds with Origin. I am not experiencing the problem with anything else. I was hoping a techie on the Origin side could take a look at things and see if they needed to restart some equipment or just to tell me, sorry the servers are really congested. Oh well, only have to deal with it for a few days and then I'll have everything downloaded.
  • Options
    I am sorry :( The servers could be busy at the moment. It is the weekend so there could be a lot of people downloading. Perhaps try downloading at a different time of the day and see if that helps the download speed.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Slow downs can happen when too many people access a server therefore decreasing bandwidth and it also can be on your ISP end as well. If your ISP has a Speed app like Comcast does you can test the speed DL as well as upload speed.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    Also check what channel your router is on. I know it sounds silly, but from my experience in living in an apartment if too many residents are using the same channel it will affect your download and upload speeds. I recommend downloading the WiFi Analyzer app to your smartphone and use it to see how much traffic is using channels 1, 6 and 11. Once you see which of these three channels is the least used in your area, change it to that.

In my case, it seems like everyone in my complex is using channel 6 by default according to WiFi Analyzer. I switched my router to channel 11 and I haven't had any issues since.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I live out in the countryside and there are no other wireless devices out here. Our ISP ran fiber out to the house and we live in Europe so not weird Comcast craziness. I'm really not sure of the issue to be honest, everywhere else i download from is extremely fast. My steam games install so fast and use so much bandwidth that i have to manually throttle them if my son wants to do something on the network.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited February 2016
    Ghedrain wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions. I live out in the countryside and there are no other wireless devices out here. Our ISP ran fiber out to the house and we live in Europe so not weird Comcast craziness. I'm really not sure of the issue to be honest, everywhere else i download from is extremely fast. My steam games install so fast and use so much bandwidth that i have to manually throttle them if my son wants to do something on the network.
    Seeing you are in Europe I am going to guess you must have the appropriate cable modem or modem that is rated for DL speeds your ISP allows. Example; I use an cable modem that is rated to get up a speed of over 300 mbps(not going to get 300 mbps unless the provider has option for that speed) being I can achieve DL speeds of 90 mbps or better. If one use a modem rated at 30 mbps at the max that person will not get speeds above 30 even if the provider allows customers speeds of 31 mbps or better.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    AestheticSimmingAestheticSimming Posts: 15 Member
    Check out this video called "How to increase the download speed in Origin EA" on youtube by
    Dexterous Gamings
    it really helped me :smiley:
  • Options
    LoverGal623LoverGal623 Posts: 47 Member
    I noticed that recently too when all of a sudden it kept telling me first it'll take 36 hours to download a stuff pack, then 30 minutes, then 5 hours, etc...