Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rural World?

I’m interested in playing a completely rural world and am having difficulty finding one that suits. Unfortunately, I also lack the skills and talent to create my own with CAW. I’ve put together some specifics of the things I’m looking for, so if anyone has some suggestions for me, I’d be most grateful!

I would prefer no required third party CC, but have all EP, SP (except KPST) and Store content installed.

The world I’m looking for is a non-island world in a temperate climate, preferably unpopulated, with lots placed but not built on. I’d like it to be comprised of primarily large residential lots (30 x 40 – 64 x 64) to place farms, orchards, and horse ranches.

My Sims will be mainly self-employed gardeners, nectar-makers, fishermen and horse breeders, along with a few alchemists, painters, collectors, etc. Because I want to keep it very rural and undeveloped, I don’t want a conventional large town center set-up; my plan is to use minimal (and smaller sized) community lots and RH’s or RH rugs in the world (e.g., City Hall, equestrian center, mausoleum, fishing spots/parks, consignment store/farmer’s market; no stadiums, business offices, schools, etc.).

A road-less or dirt road world would be ideal. I don’t plan to use personal vehicles or public transportation—Sims would walk or ride horses when they want to visit other lots. I understand the road-less option can make traveling time an issue, but adjusting Relativity mod settings should help mitigate this, especially if the world was not extremely large. Also considering utilizing Traveler for when my country bumpkins may want to vacation or travel to “the city” for some culture. xD

While I don’t want developed areas or the conveniences of more modern technology here, I’m not looking for a world that looks medieval in any way; just very simple country living. Kind of an Amish feel, I suppose. But not super-strict; some Sim families will probably have tractors. :mrgreen:

Any ideas or recommendations for me? Thank you. :)

Comments

• Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Hi :)

Wanting a world that isn't extremely large and yet not an island- not possible.

You want mainly large lots but not a main town center because you want to place small lots for the RH rugs?

There are several world builders who made roadless worlds- that aren't built up or have any lots.

I would ask in the Create a World section, too.

I remember a world made for horses... I just don't remember who or where or when though. :(

Good luck!
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    That sounds like one world I'm working on and I've got plans for another one similar to what you're looking for.I might not worry about placing lots in CAW though I could do it in a save file.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    Hi, @Rflong7! :)

It seems I’ve not explained things as well as I’d hoped. >.< I don’t think I know the correct terminology for a lot of this, but I’ll try. xD

It isn’t that I *wouldn’t want* a large world for this project, but more that I’m unsure about judging world sizes or how much of the terrain in any given world would be available for lot placement. Take Sunset Valley, for example—I’m guessing it’s considered a large map? But the distant portions are not navigable, so travel time from one end of the routable world to the other is less than it would be if the entire map was usable space, giving the impression of being ginormous, but without actually being what feels like an extremely large area... Idk if that sounds even more confusing? Probably does, lol. But if I understand what you’re saying correctly, then I *am* looking for an “extremely large” world.

The world I’m looking for would have primarily large residential lots, yes. And not a conventional large town center with all of the usual RH’s and community lots, but a much simpler one, consisting of only a few lots, smaller than the big residential farms and ranches. That would be where I’d place some small buildings like a consignment store, a “meeting hall” with the City Hall RH rug, etc., giving it an unincorporated village sort of vibe. Does this make more sense or is it still as clear as mud? :lol:

Yes, I’ve seen some really beautiful road-less worlds in my searches! :) As for adding lots to empty worlds myself, I think I’d have to place them using CAW since using the in-game World Editor seems to cause issues? I had considered tackling a remake of an EA world, but not only am I not confident in learning to use CAW, but I cannot get VSync enabled for the tool. Until I can find another way to limit the crazy FPS, attempting CAW isn’t an option.

This thread looks like it posted in the Create-A-World sub-forum... unless there is a different section that you meant?

That’s okay; maybe someone else will remember the world for horses now that you’ve mentioned it.

Thanks for the response and for the luck; I think I’m going to need it! :lol: And also, thank you for the amazing worlds you’ve shared—I’ve really been enjoying building in your Industrial Island world lately! Idk how you do it, but I’m sure glad you do! :)

@TadOlson –It sounds like you’re pretty comfortable with creating worlds to have projects planned out ahead of time. I haven’t got a clue about CAW, lol. But I would be interested to see what you do with your worlds! :)
  • Options
    flstriderflstrider Posts: 1,912 Member
    @starguru I am sure you may have looked but just in case check the The Sims 3 World Index at the top of this forum I think I remember seeing a world or two in there that may fit what you are looking for. Also Look up a creator named Rhodalle she has a couple of roadless worlds that may fit as well.

CAW does have a large learning curve but believe me there are so many tutorials available that really helps you with the tool, being an old guy and not extremely tech savvy I did learn from them. Unfortunately most of my worlds will not fit what you are looking for but there are worlds out there that may fit your needs. Something else to look for is any world with the word "Lite" in its title as those worlds usually are empty worlds ready to build on

Good luck in your search
    My World's thread linked in Sig
    NewSig.jpg

• Options
    @flstrider - Yes, the World Index was the first place I checked. :) And web searches led me to Rhodalle’s lovely road-less worlds—her terrain is absolutely gorgeous. StellaToronto’s is lovely too! I also found some very nice possibilities at My Sim’s Realty.

The learning curve for CAW is daunting indeed. :confounded: But I have noticed all the helpful tutorials the community has made available here and at MTS, and I know if I get stuck there are experienced world builders here that are willing to point me in the right direction; I’m very grateful. And even more so now as I think this is project is going to be one I’ll need to attempt myself, one way or another. xD Right now, my issue of not being able to limit FPS in CAW is my biggest barrier to using the tool—until I solve that, any fun hair-pulling moments will have to wait, lol.

No, your own worlds won’t work for this particular project, but I do like them very much, especially your Portaloosa and Notchcliff Isles—amazing! Thank you for the tip; I’ve only just begun to notice that I tend to go for “lite” worlds as I do enjoy building lots. And thanks for response as well; I appreciate you taking the time! :)
  • Options
    rotatarotata Posts: 180 Member
    The Town of Earl looks very promising. Lots of big lots and dirt roads on one side of the town. On the other side of the river - a trailer park, wharf and misc. Still in the process of decorating, plopping down farms and placing interesting lots.
  • Options
    @rotata - Sounds interesting; I’ll add it to my list of possibilities to check out. Thanks for the suggestion! :)
  • Options
    RowanerRowaner Posts: 36 Member
    There's an Amish world called Yoder's Glen. I've never played it but you might find it fits your needs. I don't have forum permission yet to post links so try searching the exchange for it.
  • Options
    @Rowaner – I was able to find Yoder’s Glen on the Exchange as well as the creator’s thread with some more screenshots; you’re right that it seems like it fits what I’m looking for in many ways. Thank you! :)
  • Options
    @starguru Hope it works out for you! Let us know if you can use it, and maybe post some screenshots. There's only a couple of pics of Yoder's Glen that I could find, and I'm quite curious about the general layout of the world.
  • Options
    General update: I did manage to find a program that will limit my FPS for the CAW tool, so… progress! xD Now that I can use it without killing my GPU, I’m struggling to figure out everything, lol. But it’s still interesting to play around with.

@Rowaner – I think CathrynMC’s Yoder’s Glen is absolutely charming! I want to check out a few other worlds that also seem promising before I decide for certain, but YG really does appear nearly perfect as-is for what I wanted, so thank you again for the find! And since you were curious, I took some screenshots while I was wandering around, so check out the spoiler for an overview of the layout and some pix about town. :)
    Yoder’s Glen is a rural town nestled in a rounded valley, far away from the rest of the world. I love how secluded it is!

1_zpsmkvknxsk.jpg

Here’s a closer aerial view so you can get a better idea of the size and layout of the routable land. It looks cozy surrounded by the mountains, but still feels open and spacious.

3_zpsmrfbvifx.jpg

It’s entirely pathed with dirt roads; that and the field terrain paints enhance that agrarian feeling. Score!

2_zpsocnbrtpe.jpg

This is the town center, with no visible RH’s (there is only a mausoleum buried in the basement of the building on the cemetery). It is minimal and simple—just as I’d hoped—with rustic market stalls (consignment), a nectary lot and a community center building that will work well as a city hall if I place a RH rug in it, all on relatively small lots. Ideal!

4_zps8frymxc5.jpg

Besides the mausoleum, the equestrian center is the only other RH in this world, and one of the few I definitely wanted.

5_zpsqlli3i8d.jpg

These are a few pix around town of the houses and adjacent areas, which I find especially appealing.

7_zpssq51mwu4.jpg

8_zpswzhwzytf.jpg

While the residential lots themselves aren’t all as large as I’d prefer, something that you can’t see from a wide aerial view is that there are many smaller surrounding lots with orchards and gardens which could make up for that.

6_zpswboz46be.jpg

9_zpsigtutfei.jpg

10_zpsn31jjuim.jpg

For anyone looking for a rural world for fishing, farming, nectar-making and raising horses, I would certainly recommend taking a look at this one. Overall, an amazing world and definitely a keeper! <3
  • Options
    @starguru Thanks for the pics! Yoder's Glen looks great. I especially love the scarecrow in the pumpkin patch. It also looks quite flat so you could probably put down some bigger lots for houses.
  • Options
    @Rowaner - NP, and I thought so too. :) There are several pumpkin patches like that throughout the world with scarecrows in them; very cute!

Yes, the terrain is flat in most areas with some gentle inclines, so placing a few bigger residential lots should be doable. I wish I could add them with the in-game World Editor tool, but the WE seems to bork routing and cause lag. So if I decide to add some larger lots, I think it will have to be with CAW so I could rebuild the routing afterwards. I guess I’m just going to have to figure out how that whole process works! xD
  • Options
    @starguru Do you know how to edit worlds in CAW? There's a tutorial here for getting already made worlds into CAW. It's not super complicated, but do take care to follow every step in the first method exactly. I managed to get it done so it's possible, but I made a mistake at one point where I clicked 'Save' instead of 'Save as', and basically wrecked my CAW program and had to reinstall it to get it working again ><
  • Options
    @Rowaner - I know nothing! :lol: But I did come across that tutorial and have it bookmarked for when I’m ready to give it a go; thank you. :) About the only thing I’ve done in CAW so far was played around with the SV Lite map to see how things work in general. I was able to delete roads and I managed to place a lot, but it ended up being raised to some ridiculous height... I think I pushed a wrong button somewhere! LOL I see much rage-quitting in my quest to learn how to drive this crazy thing! :p
  • Options
    @starguru CAW is really not user-friendly. I was using it to try and make a world of my own but had to abandon it because my computer wasn't good enough to handle the terrain tools. Now I've imported an already made world that has the right kind of landscape and texture painting that I want and I'm modifying the smaller things like vegetation and housing.
    Roads can be tricky but if all you're doing is marking out lots, that's pretty easy, and the building can just be done in game.
    If you haven't already seen it, Krrank has the best all-over CAW tutorial I've found.
  • Options
    @Rowaner – So I’m noticing! :grimace: I’m hoping that what I want to do just *seems* harder than it really is. But I also would think that if all I’m doing is adding a couple lots with no other changes it shouldn’t be too bad, once I successfully import the map. And I will definitely do my building in-game where I know my way around much better!

Okay, got that one bookmarked too now; it looks like it will be very useful. Thanks! :)
  • Options
    @starguru The import link might be a bit outdated so here is another to try - Import full neighborhoods into CAW I found this one to be a little easier to follow. Krrank's tutorials are also a bit outdated but give really good basic information. And always you can create a thread to ask questions here, you will find many builders here that are very willing to share their experience with CAW.
    NewSig.jpg

• Options
    @flstrider – Even the most basic info will definitely be helpful for nooby me, lol, but I’ll keep in mind that some things might not be up to date anymore. And thanks for the alternative import link; if one method of explaining doesn’t work for me, I can always try the other. :)
  • Options
    @starguru best of luck and remember, there are always people here to help out if you need!
    NewSig.jpg