Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are we sure Sims 4 is the first game with complex emotions?

Comments

• Options
    barraakenobarraakeno Posts: 489 Member
    Jaline33 wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    In the Sims 1 - 3, Sims had "moods" rather than "emotions". Which range from bad, average and good.

So no, she is to depressed to play because her motives would be low. Not because a life event has put her in a depressed mood. Same goes to Sims 2 and 3 as well :)

The only other games that explored emotions was Sims 2 and Sims 2 pets on console. How you interacted with other Sims would either make them happy, sad, angry, flirty or shy.

It depends on how you play the game. If you used your imagination, the Sims emotions in Sims 1, 2, and 3 were just as real and valid as having a sign saying, "Loving" or "Angry" or "Sad", etc.

If we use imagination even a chess pawn has emotions. It's not about the imagination, it's about the game mechanics.
    Brazilian guy here, so my English is not that good.

fB7mWIn.gif
    Spinning toilets confurm3d!!!!11!!1!1!!!!11!
  • Options
    CandyCadetCandyCadet Posts: 517 Member
    @Scobre wrote: »
    I think this was my favorite moment seeing the effects from cheating.
    Screenshot-19_zps7jkqfosp.jpg
    Screenshot-22_zpschnfmmvs.jpg
    Screenshot-24_zpsny2dcphk.jpg
    Screenshot-20_zpso8rm7r3w.jpg

She crushed that dancer marrying her fiancee. XD Then she slept with the dancer again and boy was her husband mad. She eventually broke up with him, but the bad reputation stayed.

Those are reactions to cheating, but the Sims who was upset via the cheating, probably didn't stay depressed for long as I said earlier, a Simple positive moodlet can bring them out into a "semi-upset" mood. Wheras in 4, it won't/

LOL did you really not see the part where they mentioned the bad reputation system? That feature is more complex than your bipolar emotion system in 4.

Yes any positive moodlet can make them feel a lil better and bring them out of that bad mood but in 4, they're either gone and be put in a happy mood immediately after or it'll stay there if you don't make them do anything. The long-term effects never last in 4 whereas in 3, there is a specific time frame no one has ever figured out when it will end unless you try to dig deeper into the files.

Again, all lies.

Lol reputation systems have nothing to do with Emotions. And the "bipolar emotion" system is the exact same system in 3. So keep bagging both games, doesn't bother me.

And that second paragraph has already been proven false;

4hw7t0.jpg

I don't see the positive moodlets taking over the negative ones;

28-05-09%2011%3B48%3B46001.jpg

Yet I do here. She's no longer upset about her broken relationship because she heard a funny joke, and her mood is yellow which is slightly unhappy.

None of you are able to prove these as "lies" you just call them lies because you can't disprove them. These images are the exact opposite of what you are trying to tell me. And all you can say back is' "Not true" "all lies" "doesn't happen" when the two images show it has.

Wow what a great proof. I can see the "sadness" in the face of that sim. That is really amazing how sad they look. I think that is clear expression of a sim being upset.

I can't believe that sim in the Sims 3 picture is not even fully upset but only "semi-upset" after vomiting and having her heart broken at the same time.

Tell us more about this "complex" emotions. You sure do know a lot.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited January 2016
    CandyCadet wrote: »

Wow what a great proof. I can see the "sadness" in the face of that sim. That is really amazing how sad they look. I think that is clear expression of a sim being upset.

I can't believe that sim in the Sims 3 picture is not even fully upset but only "semi-upset" after vomiting and having her heart broken at the same time.

It's the same "dead" look that the Sims 3 was accused of having. XD Sorry that made me giggle. Oh well, it really doesn't matter. There is no changing anyone's opinion about any of the Sims games. I just want the Sims 4 improved on especially in regards to memories, traits, "mood"lets, reactions, and lasting character storytelling history. I want Sims to care about each other again. Not like I'm asking for the Sims 4 to be removed. I want it to combat the saying it has adapted, "remove, don't improve." I want the game to improve. Game mechanics is something it badly needs help on still. It's sad we can't even ask for the Sims 4 to be improved on without having drama anymore. If only I could harvest it and the passion and put it into the Sims 4. Then my Sims could be full of life and personality and variety of emotions again. Maxis heads said the Sims 4 would be a game of drama. I guess I want to know where is it because this Truman Show game ain't doing the trick?
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    Eighty-eight notifications!! I'm glad to see my post created a lot to discuss! :open_mouth:
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited January 2016

She crushed that dancer marrying her fiancee. XD Then she slept with the dancer again and boy was her husband mad. She eventually broke up with him, but the bad reputation stayed.

Those are reactions to cheating, but the Sims who was upset via the cheating, probably didn't stay depressed for long as I said earlier, a Simple positive moodlet can bring them out into a "semi-upset" mood. Wheras in 4, it won't/

LOL did you really not see the part where they mentioned the bad reputation system? That feature is more complex than your bipolar emotion system in 4.

Yes any positive moodlet can make them feel a lil better and bring them out of that bad mood but in 4, they're either gone and be put in a happy mood immediately after or it'll stay there if you don't make them do anything. The long-term effects never last in 4 whereas in 3, there is a specific time frame no one has ever figured out when it will end unless you try to dig deeper into the files.

Again, all lies.

Lol reputation systems have nothing to do with Emotions. And the "bipolar emotion" system is the exact same system in 3. So keep bagging both games, doesn't bother me.

4hw7t0.jpg

Yet I do here. She's no longer upset about her broken relationship because she heard a funny joke, and her mood is yellow which is slightly unhappy.

None of you are able to prove these as "lies" you just call them lies because you can't disprove them. These images are the exact opposite of what you are trying to tell me. And all you can say back is' "Not true" "all lies" "doesn't happen" when the two images show it has.

lol do you want me to post a video of a sad sim? Of course a sim who is chewing isn't going to have a frown. She does have a slightly down face.

Sims who are sad (and aren't chewing) sitting down will have a sad face.

urn-child-sad-sims-4-960x380.jpg

I applaud you for "trying" your best to discredit everything, but a quick google search will help educate you on how Sims behave when they are sad in both games since you seem unfamiliar with both.

Considering a sad sim in Sims 3 would have a dead space look on their face when eating.
  • Options
    You all keep calling me a liar or something, yet none of you are able to discredit what I'm saying.

So why is it so hard to go into your game, and show me that in Sims 4 a positive moodlet will override the cheating or death moodlets?

Why is it hard to show me that a positive moodlet won't make your Sim happier after a break up in Sims 3?

I've shown everything here already from both games, and yet you ignore it and call me the liar? When I'm pulling resources from both games?

Or is it just to hard to discredit?
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Sims with the "dead look" as Sims burn to death. They have no emotion while their friends are dying.
    04-13-15_1-25nbspAM-2_zpssupbojg1.png
    04-13-15_1-25nbspAM_zps8el4thq1.png

They only start moving when they start burning themselves.
    04-13-15_1-30nbspAM_zps5kvp5erq.png

Only one of the seven remaining Sims noticed that their friend drowned. Other Sims couldn't care less or remember that Sim.
    04-12-15_5-43nbspPM_zpswdcxqqqk.png
    04-12-15_6-02nbspPM_zpsvs1kpep6.png

But it was fun doing a survivor challenge in my Sims 4 game to test if Sims would have any emotion over deaths or not. It put my deviant style to good use.

@SweetieKaye Sorry about your thread notifications. My pictures probably won't even make a difference anyways. Thanks for making it to try to help the Sims 4 improve the game's mechanics.

I always found this angry poop picture amusing because the kid is smiling while playing with clay which looks so wrong.
    620719dc-b43b-4bf2-b2c9-55e37ef35704_zpsrqtde57s.png

Happy Sims during a fire. The sister was tense one moment, environment buff made her sister happy the next second.
    03-18-15_12-18nbspAM_zpsb5bzukpl.png
    Then mom is flirty and sister is happy the next 11 Sim seconds while the Smoogle's boyfriend burns.
    03-18-15_12-19nbspAM_zpseds1tdn3.png

No firefighter in sight.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I so wish gnomes would have emotions again too. These gnomes were great. <3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bnb4kJOv23Y

I always love watching the different ways to die videos for the Sims since I've been a deviant Simmer for all my Simming life now, so here are some for the first game.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN4wZ7k-wGI

Cool there is a Sims Medieval video too.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4OrtWeEcQQ&amp;feature=iv&amp;src_vid=fN4wZ7k-wGI&amp;annotation_id=annotation_3476060939
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    Scobre wrote: »

Yeah I have to disagree with that when there was trash they took it out they didn't have a big pouty face about it, they got rid of it.
    And Sims in 4 where all over the place they wouldn't relax and take care of their needs they just talked to death until all their needs were down I don't call that have smarter emotions/reactions.
    Yeah pretty much the Sims 4 has like a watered down version of the Sims 3 moodlet and trait system. I do agree I felt like I could relate to how the Sims reacted and felt in the Sims 3. But yeah sorry I do admit I liked the Sims 2 emotions the best. I'm totally ok with you liking the Sims 3 since I did have a lot of heart warming and scary moments in that game too. I think lack of reactions and negative boosts really limits the potential of "emotions" the Sims 4 could really have. Plus I badly miss the aspiration failures which was mentioned by SimGuruDaniel.

It is like I want Sims to care about each other and in the Sims 4 they don't. They almost have more expressions towards their gadgets than to their fellow family members and friends, so it makes me sad. It is like the Sims have turned into selfish robotic beings with this iteration and I don't like it. They don't really care about anything.

would the devs have included a friendship bar towards gadgets in TS4 like it was with cars in TS3 those TS4 sims would probably develop the most deep relationship with their phone, their stereo, their TV & their computer
    after that the relationship with their sink & their fridge & then their stove

other sims are to those TS4 sims not more worth than the pretty decor & annoying dirt in a room
    out of sight out of mind

:tired_face:

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options

Yeah I have to disagree with that when there was trash they took it out they didn't have a big pouty face about it, they got rid of it.
    And Sims in 4 where all over the place they wouldn't relax and take care of their needs they just talked to death until all their needs were down I don't call that have smarter emotions/reactions.
    Yeah pretty much the Sims 4 has like a watered down version of the Sims 3 moodlet and trait system. I do agree I felt like I could relate to how the Sims reacted and felt in the Sims 3. But yeah sorry I do admit I liked the Sims 2 emotions the best. I'm totally ok with you liking the Sims 3 since I did have a lot of heart warming and scary moments in that game too. I think lack of reactions and negative boosts really limits the potential of "emotions" the Sims 4 could really have. Plus I badly miss the aspiration failures which was mentioned by SimGuruDaniel.

It is like I want Sims to care about each other and in the Sims 4 they don't. They almost have more expressions towards their gadgets than to their fellow family members and friends, so it makes me sad. It is like the Sims have turned into selfish robotic beings with this iteration and I don't like it. They don't really care about anything.

Sims should definitely care more about their Aspiration. They should get Sad moodlets with "Fear of Failure" or something that doesn't force you to complete the Aspiration (since there's a large crowd that hate goals as it is) but at least they will care about it.

And when they die, how well they achieved their aspiration should determine their gravestone.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    @jackjack_k
    I'm sorry I couldn't finish reading whay you wrote because it was so riddled with falsehoods. Most of what you said matched sims 4 exactly, it's fine if you like the game but please what you wrote are all lies.

I'm not going to reply to you any further because it's painful to read the essays of lies.

Have a lovely day ^^

yaaaaas hunny drag ha!
    hot-okk.gif

Anyway, the emotions aren't even that complex if your sims needed the Jealousy trait to feel jealous lmao what a joke. Jealousy isn't even a real trait

If you know anything about dragging or reading, you have to bring the receipts. Dragging when you have nothing to rebut, is losing.

LOL this user pretty said everything you are. Don't need receipts to drag smh. If you know anything about "dragging" this person did it well

What am I? Someone who lays it down with evidence so people with conflicting ideas cannot prove me wrong? That's what a queen is supposed to do. Because they are a queen. Duh.

Dragging isn't only for the queens lmao you need to stop trying. You're so high up you don't even see it

That's where the term comes from. Just another dude using drag culture and doesn't even know about it. Go watch Paris is Burning or something.
    The idea of dragging comes from Drag Queens, and sure not only queens have to use it, but the principles of what dragging is still remain.

Saying that "ugh everything you said is false and i have nothing more to say to you" isn't dragging. Dragging is where you lay down the facts until the other person doesn't have a comeback.

So like you're saying I need to become a drag queen to drag somebody? LOL Anyway keep denying everything that user said. A lot of people know she is saying the truth.

Oh and don't even pretend you didn't read it the first few things she typed prior to that line lol

Lol you reading skills aren't showing. i never said you have to be a drag queen to drag somebody, I said the principle of dragging is still the same.

And I really don't care. All I have said is what happens in the game. If they want to get their knickers in a twist, and get emotionally invested that's fine.

And I didn't ignore what else they said. I've just said how all of that means nothing if a Sim in the Sims 3 can get over a cheating husband just by hearing something funny.

Funny how you only thought "ugh everything you said is false and I have nothing more to say to your" the only thing that you can use to prove that that isn't a drag. I can say the exact same thing to you and that you should really go back and read it unless you couldn't accept that you've just been dragged. You're so funny

And no, what you said about Sims 3 is all false either. The "cheating" moodlet will NOT magically disappear like Sims 4 does after being told a joke. They will still be there and the only way to get remove is to find another action to get rid of that which isn't that many in 3 (and for the cheating moodlet, there isn't any at all) but in 4, anything can. The emotion approach in 3 is more realistic than 4 as most of the emotions can only be remedied logically through time.

That's not even how the Emotion system works in 4, or how the Mood system works in 3. Care to try again?
    Nothing magically disappears in the moodlet system for either game.

The moodlet system is the exact same in both games. Just in Sims 3 results to your overall mood and Sims 4 results to an emotion, but they work the exact same way.

Which is one of the reasons I criticised it a launch, because they used an existing system to create a new one.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Sims with the "dead look" as Sims burn to death. They have no emotion while their friends are dying.

Only one of the seven remaining Sims noticed that their friend drowned. Other Sims couldn't care less or remember that Sim.

But it was fun doing a survivor challenge in my Sims 4 game to test if Sims would have any emotion over deaths or not. It put my deviant style to good use.

@SweetieKaye Sorry about your thread notifications. My pictures probably won't even make a difference anyways. Thanks for making it to try to help the Sims 4 improve the game's mechanics.

I always found this angry poop picture amusing because the kid is smiling while playing with clay which looks so wrong.

Happy Sims during a fire. The sister was tense one moment, environment buff made her sister happy the next second.
    Then mom is flirty and sister is happy the next 11 Sim seconds while the Smoogle's boyfriend burns.

No firefighter in sight.

All of those pictures are before the patch that made Sims react to everything on the lot. So when a fire happens, they now all run away, when previously only people near the fire would feel tense.

The Sim putting out the fire, won't get a tense moodlet because she's putting it out, and will gain a confident moodlet once it's done. It's usually only to the first person that puts out the fire.
    She's still feeling flirty because she doesn't have a tense moodlet since she's the one who put out the fire, but as you can see the other girl is feeling tense even though she has heaps of flirty moodlets.

The Angry Poop is annoying though, because there should be a difference. Like actually take a large poop? They pee when the take an Angry poop and it annoys me haha.
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited January 2016
    Meh. My sims in 4 just talk out their sadness in the mirror. After a couple of sim-hours (not days), they never feel that emotion again over that situation. I just love the complexity. Sad sims 🐸🐸🐸🐸 me off.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2016
    In the Sims 1 - 3, Sims had "moods" rather than "emotions". Which range from bad, average and good.

So no, she is to depressed to play because her motives would be low. Not because a life event has put her in a depressed mood. Same goes to Sims 2 and 3 as well :)

The only other games that explored emotions was Sims 2 and Sims 2 pets on console. How you interacted with other Sims would either make them happy, sad, angry, flirty or shy.

mood1
    muːd/
    noun
    a temporary state of mind or feeling.
    "he appeared to be in a very good mood about something"
    synonyms: frame of mind, state of mind, emotional state, humour, temper;

Sims 4 "emotions" are more temporary than any of the other games. They change rapidly and can be influenced by random objects so I'd use the word "moods" instead of emotions for that game.

As someone who has suffered from Depression, I did not find the Sims 4 portrayal of it very realistic.

In sims 1-3 if a sim dies or if a spouse cheats other sims will react to it. So I don't know where you got that from.

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong and Wrong.

Sims emotions are NOT as temporary as other games.

Example; In The Sims 2, you are cheated on. You slap your husband, cry, and then go back to being happy with the occasional crying spell.
    In the Sims 3, you slap your husband, cry a bit, but overall a funny conversation would be enough to put you from a miserable mood to a slightly unhappy mood.
    In the Sims 4, Sims will feel Very Sad for 3 days, and overrides all other moodlets. The only way to make your Sim happy is to mourn.

Sims in other games will definitely react to it, BUT in Sims 1 or 2, it doesn't change them from their default mood. A Sim could be cheated on, and then go and and play a video game with their kids like nothing happened.
    In The Sims 3, as I said earlier, a funny conversation is enough to make your Sims go from miserable (red) to slightly unhappy (yellow).

in the Sims 4, you could be have a bunch of different moodlets, but your Sim will STILL feel too sad because of the breakup.

4hw7t0.jpg

As you can see, she has heaps of positive moodlets but because she's been cheated on, that still takes priority.

She even took a flirty potion (that's been circled) and yet she sadness still takes over.

Everyone likes to fault the emotion system but it does a good job at taking life moments as priority.
    Of course your Sim may go from uncomfortable to happy in 5 seconds if they walk from a dirty room to a nice room.
    The Sims 3 does the exact same thing.

And I'm sorry you have depression, and I do as well, but there is a major difference between depression and sadness. The Sims 4 deals with sadness better than any other game (Sims will actually be in a state of sadness, not just cry every so often).
    I in fact can follow what you mean, but still it doesn't work for me that way (in 3 and 4, I'm not familiar enough with 2). You put 'imagination' between quotation marks as if it's something wrong, but for a player like me imagination in this game is equally important to what really happens (which at the end of the day always is an interpretation of some developer and developers and me don't always agree where it comes to emotions or characteristics). What's more, when the game dictates too much it hinders me.

I guess the difference for me (where it comes to bipolar) lies in the fact sims in 3 often have more neutral behaviour than in 4. It's true that sadness shows in occasional outbursts of crying - I hate them by the way, because it looks over the top and not sad to me, I prefer the sad face they pull - but in between they often have a straight face that allows me to still believe they're sad (or have another feeling about it). The fact I'm a very controlling simmer (I don't allow them to do things on their own too much even when free will is always enabled; I'm an active player, not a passive one) probably also will make a difference here. In Sims 4 their behaviour is far from neutral. They jump from mood to mood and it's always a pretty strong mood. and it's triggered by non emotional things.

When my sim in 3 loses the lottery he stomps briefly and then he's over it. I witnesses this recently and it made me giggle. Then I realized it was the exact same animation as in 4 (the stomping) and in that game it irritates me. How come? Because apparently I don't need the game to remind me for minutes and minutes how my sim feels about losing the lottery. He shows it to me and after that it's up to me what he does. He desperately needs money, so I sent him to a rich acquaintance to beg for some money. She turned him down, which made him miserable (he had a very miserable look on his face, which by the way again made me giggle). After that he was back to neutral and it was up to me again what he would do next. No, he didn't drag himself home with a 'funny' sad walk to sob under the covers, he jumped on his bike and drove to another rich family, invited himself in and stole their sports car (looking all sly and satisfied while doing so).

Playing Sims 4 for me meant dealing with sims who slipped from one extreme emotion into the other, without me really getting what was going on. My sim constantly was in some kind of mood, but it wasn't the mood I was feeling for them myself. Or it was, but it sticked too long. Or it didn't stick long enough but slipped into another mood while I wasn't ready yet with the previous one. Emotions in a game will always need quotation marks, because those pixels don't have real emotions. I, the player, do. Imagination is the core of this game, its strength, and the very reason many gamers don't understand what we like about it. It's why I'm a simmer, not a gamer.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited January 2016
    For me, the UI and moodlets in Sims 4 wouldn't bother me as much if I could actually see more emotions on the sims faces, and if their emotions were more satisfying and comprehensible. To me, it feels like the devs didn't have enough time to complete the emotion system, so they came up with the current one, which they could achieve faster. I wish they could make an overhaul of the entire system tbh.

There are pros and cons to both previous emotion systems and the current one. But I find that the current one seem 'simplistic. I don't know if it actually is coding wise, but it's effect that matters in a simulation and the feeling I get from my sims, how much I care about them etc. It can objectively speaking be the most complicated system in the background, but if I as a player is not feeling it or buying into the emotions, then it has failed. It's as simple as that, really.
    I completely understand if people have different experiences. We have different brains after all - we're all unique which informs our unique imagination and play style. But IMO nothing can be bad about improving things.
    Personally I would like more customization and options that I was a player have control over - in every aspect of the game. It's my all time dream to be able to customize every aspect of the game, and I'm not talking about mods, I'm talking about a game that has options built into it.

I believe that future sims games can learn from all previous incarnations of the game. I think there are still alot to be learned in the simulation business. One simply has to put in the work. I guess I don't see the work put into Sims 4. Yet. I still have hope they will improve things. But I don't buy into the 'sims 4 has the first complex emotions int he series' statement. Unless the system actually convinces me my sims have complex emotions, then they don't have complex emotions. Simulation is all about conveying complexity convincingly. If it doesn't, it falls flat.

I do believe they rushed it. But also believe they can improve it, change it, make it awesome.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member

No firefighter in sight.

All of those pictures are before the patch that made Sims react to everything on the lot. So when a fire happens, they now all run away, when previously only people near the fire would feel tense.

The Sim putting out the fire, won't get a tense moodlet because she's putting it out, and will gain a confident moodlet once it's done. It's usually only to the first person that puts out the fire.
    She's still feeling flirty because she doesn't have a tense moodlet since she's the one who put out the fire, but as you can see the other girl is feeling tense even though she has heaps of flirty moodlets.

The Angry Poop is annoying though, because there should be a difference. Like actually take a large poop? They pee when the take an Angry poop and it annoys me haha.

First it's not *just on the lot* it's everywhere, if you take your sims to the outside in the open and make them have a fight other sims passing by will stop and react.

Secondly, yes, people are spreading miss information about reactions, after the latest or so patch sims now react to things, but none the less if anyone sees their sims not reacting accordingly I thing they should post in the bugs section since it would actually be considered one now.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    Meh. My sims in 4 just talk out their sadness in the mirror. After a couple of sim-hours (not days), they never feel that emotion again over that situation. I just love the complexity. Sad sims 🐸🐸🐸🐸 me off.
    still, the sad emotion is the best from all those negative in TS4,
    the sims can at least write sad poems & browse obituaries while weeping

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    edited January 2016
    I don't ever care about reactions but I think this time it really says a lot. One of us is objective enough to see the real situation and the other has been bashing sims 3 and praising 4 since it's announcement while never bringing facts but merely opinions he tries to disguise as facts.

Face it thay you clearly don't know anytjing and your opinions arents fact. I have no problem pointing out sims 3's faults but that bar isn't as representative as in sims 4. It can be yellow and they will still act the same as when it was red... not because of the bar but because of what put them in that mood and it actually effects sims all around them.
    Post edited by 06Bon06 on
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited January 2016
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    still, the sad emotion is the best from all those negative in TS4,
    the sims can at least write sad poems & browse obituaries while weeping

I liked writing sad books with it, but someone here is stating their opinion as fact in order to make the emotion system into something it's not. People either like it or they don't. It is neither inferior nor superior, and it certainly doesn't warrant gloating, bashing, and derailing the thread into a smorgasbord of egotistical ranting. It's just a system that differs and is easily manipulated and forgotten. I'd hardly call it complex when it's as easy as I stated to manipulate. This thread actually started off nice. There was some nice nostalgia in it, I thought, but not so much a joy to read anymore.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    blueturtleotterblueturtleotter Posts: 867 Member
    edited January 2016
    Or course the sims do not really feel it is all an illusion but I felt 3 did it better with the moodlet system as it seemed more complex. I can look at my sim's moodlets and see he has been sunburnt, is fatigued from working out the previous day, is still embarrassed etc. In 4 it is only ever one emotion you see - there is no subtlety or complexity - they are only feeling one thing. That is not complex. I want to know my sim is fatigued from exercise still from yesterday etc.

I tried to play The Sims 4 yesterday and last night, but my sims keep just standing around doing nothing. I cannot cancel their instruction list. They do nothing and the NPCs do the same. It is such a great, bug-free game ... The Welcome Wagon people could not even leave my house as they could not move even after I cancelled the event!
  • Options
    azxcvbnm321azxcvbnm321 Posts: 532 Member
    Give it up Jack, you're just embarrassing yourself by making more and more ridiculous claims. They are not exactly the same because Sims 4 divides the "emotions" into subcategories like flirty or inspired. The strongest emotion overrides the others. No so with Sims 3 which is additive.
  • Options
    KatsKatsKatsKats Posts: 976 Member
    I don't see any real benefit of the Sims 4 emotions. They really don't add or subtract anything. Sure, they get sad or embarrassed and hide under the covers (sometimes) and slouch around for a bit. Or they get angry and stomp around and talk to the mirror. If they're feeling flirty, they may be more susceptible to romantic interactions, but it still takes 2 and if the other one isn't feeling it, then it's a no go anyway. They do their little actions and still go about their business. The only time I can't get someone to do something is if they're exhausted and they can't exercise because it's too dangerous (so much for dying from exhaustion) or they have writer's block for a couple of hours.

In Sims 2, at least, if they were unhappy because their needs weren't met, they'd just refuse to do most things. If they were angry about something/someone they'd get into a fight on their own. I have yet to see any of that happen in 4.
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    Well I have to strongly disagree with Sims 3 not having emotions whether or not anyone believes it I know my Sim was upset/depressed when his girlfriend cheated on him it was written all over his face as plain as day. He didn't go right back to be friendly with her either he stayed mad, enemies sims hated eachother, child sims would get upset when their parent cheated on the mother. The emotions were there and no one will convince me otherwise.

They were depressed based on the moodlet, that is correct. But because of the mood system in the Sims 3, Sims could react and feel the same way just because there was trash in the room. It puts Sims in a miserable mood. But there's no distinct Sad/Unhappy. Your Sim just goes into a red mood no matter if they have just seen their child die, or there's a broken appliance causing a mess in the room. They are both negative moodlets that cause the same response.

Oh come on! Have you ever played sims 3? Their behaviour completely changes when someone dies or when theu are cheated on. They act sad and depressed, they won't even be romantic with another sim.

While when there is trash they continue their daily lives, they give a smirk when they have nothing to do and will complain but it doesn't prevent them from doing activities or effect the way they behave. They might even tell another sim to clean up the mess.

Once again you are talking about sims 4 "oh my partner just woohooed in front of me... well I guess I should cry/be angry for 5 sec before the mpddlet is burried under nice decor and I have a friendly conversation with that partner and hug them... withing in minites we can woohoo too!yay!" Or the enemies that are always chatting away as friends.

I remember my sims in sims 4 reacting to death " oh he is dead... well that's a bummer. .. welp time to continue work and forget his existence except for random mourning but I shall remain happy!"

I already showed you a picture where Sad moodlets override everything else, including decorated moodlets.

4hw7t0.jpg

See? Yet in Sims 3, a funny conversation will be enough to get your Sim out of depression and into a slightly unhappy mood.

A few more and that Sim would have been back to normal. Yet in The Sims 4 nothing will get your Sim out of the bad mood until the issue is fixed.

As you can see in that image, the sadness about her cheating husband is still increasing just because he is in the same room. She won't forget until he's gone and they have had a break. It will just stay there otherwise.

In ts4 looking at an object can get you out of the depression...
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member

Again, all lies.

4hw7t0.jpg

lol do you want me to post a video of a sad sim? Of course a sim who is chewing isn't going to have a frown. She does have a slightly down face.

Sims who are sad (and aren't chewing) sitting down will have a sad face.

urn-child-sad-sims-4-960x380.jpg

I applaud you for "trying" your best to discredit everything, but a quick google search will help educate you on how Sims behave when they are sad in both games since you seem unfamiliar with both.

Considering a sad sim in Sims 3 would have a dead space look on their face when eating.

... Lol it's like you haven't played the sims 4. That's ironic
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited January 2016
    Here's the question I'd like to ask Jack:

If it wasn't for the fact that the game shows you the emotion in big letters with the appropriate color background...would you be able to tell what that Sim is feeling?

In other words, if the text telling you that the Sim is sad, happy, angry, etc. wasn't there, and all you had to go by to determine what they're feeling is their actions....could you tell that they're feeling whatever it is they're feeling?

I don't consider the emotions system in The Sims 4 to be better than the one in the other games for the very simple fact that apparently the development team felt we players needed help to interpret our Sims' emotions, pre-patch or post-patch. The bottom line is that you know that your Sim is feeling sad *because the game tells you so*.

And while they may walk into a room with happy objects and have a happy mood underlying the sad mood, again, the only way you know is *because the game tells you so.*

So, you can throw as many "facts" as you want as to why the Sims 4 emotion system is apparently "superior" to the Sims 3 system, but you can't get past the fact that the development team felt that telling us how our Sims feel at any given time was supposed to show us how much more complex the emotion system is as compared to the others. In effect, as was said by one member of the dev team....the other Sims didn't have emotions at all. Only the ones in The Sims 4 do...and by golly, they're going to TELL us what our Sims are feeling at any given time.

Yep, that's superior all right. Real true emotions.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!