Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Not enough disk space

JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
Hi,

Let me start by saying I'm not exactly a computer savant, so please be kind if my question shows ignorance.

I have a new computer with a C-drive and a D-drive. My Sims 3 games are installed on the C-drive (that happened automatically). Yesterday when I started my game, I got a pop-up that said something like the disk was almost full and therefore there might be problems with the game. I checked and indeed, the C drive is almost full:

C-schijf_zpspfl96x4a.png

(gebruikt = used (blue); beschikbaar = available (grey))

The D drive however is far from full :(

D-schijf_zpskptaaq1t.png

This happened before and at that occasion I moved Sims 4 to the D drive (it had also automatically been downloaded to C), but after I had done that, I had to redownload Sims 4 via Origin. I'm afraid the same thing will happen when I move all Sims 3 files and I don't want to have to reinstall that game. Can anyone help me. I'm rather frustrated I have a computer with bigger memory than I had, but on my previous pc I never ever had this issue.
There is an option there that says: 'compress this drive to save disk space'. Could I do that safely or will it harm my game?

Help... :'(
5JZ57S6.png
Post edited by JoAnne65 on

Comments

• GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    edited January 2016
    I really want to help you but this looks so weird :o Not weird, but just, I know nothing about it. My laptop has just one thingy with more less 1000 GB...

And about reinstallign the game: patch 1.69 really does nothing bad, for me.

Everyone, HELP JOANNE!
    She has to play sims because I want the continuing of Lance. And after that, generation 21 from her gorgeous Kobaynes.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2016
    My computer has an extra drive so to speak. A small one (232 GB) and a big one (931 GB). Unfortunately he automatically has installed Sims 3 on the small one and now I'm out of space :| I was better off on my old computer with just one drive, what's the benefit of buying an extra drive if this happens.

edit: I googled and found out what to do; I'm moving other folders now.
    Post edited by JoAnne65 on
    5JZ57S6.png
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    My computer has an extra drive so to speak. A small one (232 GB) and a big one (931 GB). Unfortunately he automatically has installed Sims 3 on the small one and now I'm out of space :| I was better off on my old computer with just one drive, what's the benefit of buying an extra drive if this happens.

edit: I googled and found out what to do; I'm moving other folders now.

You probably have an ssd for your C drive . hdd for drive. Save the sims 3 file from documents to desktop. Uninstall the game on C drive and reinstall it on D drive. EA gives you the option to custom install the game to a different drive.

Thanks, I might do that when I get in trouble again. But moving other folders from C to D cleaned it drastically ;) (I went from 903 MB available to 129 GB)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Yup, sounds like you have an SSD. Small SSDs are common. It's mainly for your operating system and any other program that would benefit from it vs the hard drive.
    https://youtu.be/YQEjGKYXjw8

A lot of pre built systems that include a SSD will be small with the operating system on it. It's set up to be the main drive so everything will automatically choose that drive.

If you want to avoid this than you will need to change your Origin settings.
    • Open Origin client
    • At the top Origin > Application Settings
    • Click on the Advanced tab and change location

If you're installing by disk then make sure that you change the path. It should ask you where you would like to install.

I would change your browser settings as well. I'm using Chrome but any other browser shouldn't be too far off.
    • Go into browser settings (under advanced)
    • Change Download location
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    Thanks, I might do that when I get in trouble again. But moving other folders from C to D cleaned it drastically ;) (I went from 903 MB available to 129 GB)

You can also redirect your documents folder to D Drive so when you save your game it does not bog down your C drive http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/redirect-folder-new-location#1TC=windows-7
    edited January 2016
    Thanks, that's really helpful! I'll do as you advise.
    @phoebebebe13 I wanted to do that but was afraid to, because that's where my Electronic Arts Sims 3 folder is in of course. Will the game automatically save to the right folder and not create a new one in C... :mrgreen: ?
    5JZ57S6.png
    Thanks, that's really helpful! I'll do as you advise.
    @phoebebebe13 I wanted to do that but was afraid to, because that's where my Electronic Arts Sims 3 folder is in of course. Will the game automatically save to the right folder and not create a new one in C... :mrgreen: ?

It should because all your doing is redirecting the file. Another method is if you use save as and get to many saves you can just drag the saves to D drive for storage just in case you need to go back to an older save.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Also, never defrag your SSD. It lowers the life of it.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    @phoebebebe13 Yes, that's what I've done now (and all the screenshots etc, which is why C is quite empty again now ;)). I've always dragged saves to Documents, but that's on the C drive as well. So now I've made sure that folder is on D.
    @Simasaurus09 Ok, thanks. I have done that yesterday I'm afraid (in my efforts to solve the problem;)), but I won't do it anymore now then.
    5JZ57S6.png
    @phoebebebe13 Yes, that's what I've done now (and all the screenshots etc, which is why C is quite empty again now ;)). I've always dragged saves to Documents, but that's on the C drive as well. So now I've made sure that folder is on D.
    @Simasaurus09 Ok, thanks. I have done that yesterday I'm afraid (in my efforts to solve the problem;)), but I won't do it anymore now then.

Yes the game can fill up your c drive quickly plus what ever else you need to go with windows. I wish I had a 500 gb ssd. I too have 250 and 280 gb ssds . Anything 250 gb and above is ok if you only run the sims 3 on c drive with windows and no other games. With 250 gb you will have to drag some files from the game to another drive. You can also drag your download sims 3 files to your other drive to free up more space and save your downloads for the game that way.