Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

FIXED - Save Game Error - FIXED

Sara74469Sara74469 Posts: 513 Member
I've playing the sims 3 for about an hour or so and I go to save the game and a pop-up appears. "An unexpected error has occurred while saving: Error Code 12. Please consult the readme for details." (I haven't looked at the readme yet since I would have to exit out of my game to pull it up.) Help.
Post edited by Sara74469 on

Comments

• TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    That means the game has run out of memory to save. TS3 is a 32 bit application and so cannot use more than 4 GB of RAM no matter how much you have installed. Typically though at 3.2-3.7 GB the game starts to give that error on saving.

You can try going to map view (as that takes up less memory) to save. Or try saving in Edit Town. If that doesn't work you (and it usually doesn't for me) you will probably have to quit and lose your work.
  • girlwhocriedtaylorgirlwhocriedtaylor Posts: 536 Member
    To prevent this from happening, try clicking "save" instead of "save and quit." I heard that this works. Everytime I've done this instead of save and quit it hasn't given me the error code. Also save often, especially after big events in the game like birth or sims aging up.

Also I'm 99% sure that if you do a lot of changing the sim's outfit (like in CAS) or appearance this can cause the error.
  • ajaxpostajaxpost Posts: 4,200 Member
    Hi @Sara74469, I'd agree with everything @TreyNutz and @girlwhocriedtaylor have said.

Error 12 is an age-old problem and I used to get it all the time with my legacy game - which over a couple of generations and travels to other worlds had bloated the save games to several gigabytes!

Eventually I found that some of the Nraas mods really helped improve the situation for me. 'Errortrap' which handles in-game problems much better than the EA code, 'Overwatch' which can remove redundant objects before they start causing errors, and 'Saver' which prompts me to save at regular intervals so even if the game does crash I've only lost twenty or thirty minutes of gameplay.

I would recommend looking at crinrict's incredibly helpful 'Answers' blog page for these errors: http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/03/error-save-errors-error-12-13-or-16.html

And also check out the Nraas mods - they really do help keep the game error-free and, if you wish, can also add lots of great new features: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/

Good luck :)
  • roman2886roman2886 Posts: 702 Member
    I had this problem with my sims 3 save game you can prevent it here's what i did i deleted the thumbnails the dc cache folder the the sigs cache folder the the iga cache folder and the dc back up folder if you installed a custom don't delete the worlds cache folder and the installed worlds folder.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    roman2886 wrote: »
    I had this problem with my sims 3 save game you can prevent it here's what i did i deleted the thumbnails the dc cache folder the the sigs cache folder the the iga cache folder and the dc back up folder if you installed a custom don't delete the worlds cache folder and the installed worlds folder.
    Sorry, I am sure without meaning to you gave some not so great advice there.

If you delete the DCCache folder, you will instantly lose all of your sims3pack content, both custom and from the store. That's where it all lives, in bundles, after being installed by the Launcher.

If you delete a file called ccmerged.package from DCBackup, none of your premium EA store content will ever work. The rest of that folder is fair game, though clearing it out isn't really going to help with Error12s much.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Sara74469Sara74469 Posts: 513 Member
    Thank you everyone for answering :)
    I tried some of these and my game is working better now :smile: