March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Stories and Legacies Index Gateway

mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,874 Member
edited March 8 in Nominated Threads
index.jpg

As a librarian, two of my greatest loves in life are reading stories and archiving information into a meaningful and easy-to-use fashion. As a Simmer, I love reading (and creating!) stories that follow Sim creations going about their lives within the various worlds of the Sims games. But it can be a bit overwhelming; there are a multitude of great sites out there dedicated to storytelling using Sims games, but I haven't found any place that acts as a proper hub to bring these sites together, and make it easy to navigate between them and bring more exposure to budding authors.

That is why I have founded the Stories and Legacies Index, a virtual library located on Wordpress which aims to catalogue every user-submitted website focused around storytelling using any of The Sims games. Currently it has over 350 links in its main listing, and another 250 links in its archive listing.

What can you do at the Stories and Legacies Index?
  • Get an organized, alphabetical listing of Sim stories and Let's Plays;
  • Find a listing of completed stories, short stories, and collaborative projects;
  • Use the Subject Search to get a listing of stories by author name, game version, challenge, genre, or subject;
  • Check the References section for a great selection of threads around these forums for the Simlit enthusiast;
  • Feeling artistic? Feel free to submit link-back banners or badges or banner art for the rotating banner art gallery!

Why should you add your story to the The Stories and Legacies Index?
  • Your story will be listed in the largest single directory of Simlit, which attracts readers of Simlit for its ease of use to discover new reading material;
  • Attention will be brought to any new stories, completed stories, or other writing milestones you reach on the Stories and Legacies Index nightly newsfeed and Stories and Legacies Index Gateway threads on the Sims forum;
  • All stories or video Let's Plays, regardless of Sims game used or style/format, are welcome! It doesn't matter if you are a brand-new author or a seasoned writer, and it only takes a few minutes to fill out the submission form to submit your work!

plumbob.png

The Stories and Legacies Index - Discover links to over 600 Sim stories, get updates and news on registered stories, and submit your own Sim stories to the listing!
sali_adbanner3.jpg
Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
Check out my Simlit at Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3!
My Simlit Discussion/Updates | The Fringe | Short Story Challenges
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,874 Member
    edited March 2017
    links.jpg

Every good library needs a reference section! Here you can find essential forum thread links for the Simlit enthusiast!

plumbob.png

Writers' Lounge - This is the main hangout thread for the Sims 4 Stories and Legacies forum! Everyone is welcome; it doesn't matter what game you use to write your story, you will be embraced with open arms to chat about Simming, writing, and all manner of other topics! Hosted by @CathyTea and @friendsfan367 .

Sims and Friends: Share Your Stories!! - This is the main hangout thread for the Stories and Legacies forum! Everyone is welcome; it doesn't matter what game you use to write your story, you will be embraced with open arms to chat about Simming, writing, and all manner of other topics!

The Stories and Legacies Index Gateway - This thread is the "gateway" for the Stories and Legacies Index in the Sims 4 Stories and Legacies forum; the Stories and Legacies Index Newsfeed gets reposted there, so if you would like an easy way to get notified of just the news, I recommend clicking the gold star on the Stories and Legacies Index Gateway thread to keep updated!

A Quick Guide to Simlit - This is the place to go if you are new to the world of Simlit! This is an amazingly in-depth, yet incredibly easy-to-understand guide on all sorts of Simlit topics; everything from setting up story websites and editing pictures to the best ways to advertise and promote a new story. The thread is also very open to questions and adding new content as needed! If you are interested in starting a story, check out this guide! Hosted by @Julyvee94 .

Sims 3 Challenge List - Looking for new inspiration for a story? This is the new, updated, and maintained challenge directory for Sims 3! The "Stories and Legacies Index" of challenges, this is the place to go to look up challenge rules! This is an excellent place to get ideas for stories! Hosted by @Meeshelby .

Sims 4 Challenge List - Looking for new inspiration for a story? This is the new, updated, and maintained challenge directory for Sims 4! The "Stories and Legacies Index" of challenges, this is the place to go to look up challenge rules! This is an excellent place to get ideas for stories! Hosted by @Meeshelby .

Reading Circles - Reading Circles are small groups of writers who dedicate time to read each other's stories and have discussions with each other. If you are a new writer, joining a Reading Circle can be a great way to get those "first few readers," and they are also a great way to make friends or for those who enjoy reading but don't know what to read to get a dedicated set of stories to follow. If any of these things sound up your alley, definitely check it out! Hosted by @CathyTea .

Freezer Bunny Book Club - Do you enjoy reading Simlit but you don't know where to start? Then check out the Freezer Bunny Book Club! Every week a different story is featured, with open "coffee hour" discussions taking place all day every Friday. Hosted by @CathyTea . Currently on break.

What Happened in Your Sims Game Today? - This thread, located in Sims 3 General Discussion, is all about sharing the stories happening during gameplay of various versions of Sims games. Fans of Simlit will enjoy browsing through the thread and following the different interesting stories of a variety of Simmers and their Sims! Hosted by @emorrill .

What Happened in Your Game Today? - This thread, located in Sims 4 General Discussion, is all about sharing the stories happening during Sims 4 gameplay. Fans of Simlit will enjoy browsing through the thread and following the different interesting stories of a variety of Simmers and their Sims! Hosted by @cupcakesims .

The Interactive Reality Game Show Community Thread - A discussion and hang out thread for interactive game show Sim stories and their community. If you enjoy interactive game show stories, feel free to check it out! Hosted by @Turner .

Monthly Simlits: A Short Story Challenge - If you enjoy writing Simlit but are looking for a challenge, I'd highly recommend checking out the Monthly Simlits: Short Story Challenge thread! Every month is a different theme that you must use to write a story, using 1-12 pictures from any Sims game and 500-1500 words. It's a lot of fun! This thread is a continuation of the previous Short Story Challenges thread. Hosted by @Pegasus143 , and @SilentWolf101 .

The Poetry/Song Lyrics Illustration Challenge - Another great thread for Sim storytellers who like to stretch their imagination and practice their in-game photography skills, this thread is dedicated to the creation of choosing a poem or set of song lyrics and illustrating it using the Sims game of your choice! Hosted by @PalmArrow .

Choose-Your-Own-Simventure - Did you enjoy Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books as a kid? Are you interested in writing your own interactive fiction using Simlit as your medium? If so, this thread is the place to go for finding prompts to get you started! You can feel free to suggest new prompts or reserve one that has already been suggested! Hosted by @pronterus .

The Pen Pal Project - Looking to take your writing in a different direction? The Pen Pal Project is a collaborative project with allows two Simmers to pair up and write a story together by exchanging pen pal letters between their Sims. This allows for even cross-game version projects! If this piques your interest, then check it out! Hosted by @CathyTea .

Simlit Celebrations and Discussions - Do you love Simlit? Do you want a place to discuss fan favorites? Do you like the idea of sharing what's on your Simlit reading list lately? Then this discussion thread is for you! This thread is all about sharing your enthusiasm for Simlit with others, so feel free to jump in and discuss your favorite stories, and what about them makes them your favorites! Hosted by @AdamsEve1231 .

The Art of Sims Storytelling - This thread is all about discussing writing using the medium of the Sims games. Topics of discussion here include the process of writing Sims stories, the Simlit community, imagery and themes used in Simlit, the history of Simlit, and a variety of other subjects! Feel free to pose discussion topics and answer questions! Here writers can discuss their different approaches, outlooks, and philosophies. Hosted by @MedleyMisty .

The Feedback Thread - This thread is the place to go if you want to get specific feedback on your Simlit writing. Please be sure to check out the guidelines, both for requesting feedback and providing feedback. This thread is designed to promote helpful constructive criticism at the request of authors! Hosted by @CathyTea .

"It's Done!" - Have you recently finished a story? Come here to celebrate this amazing accomplishment with other Simlit authors! Hosted by @CathyTea .

PurpleDaySims - Have you recently lost a beloved Sim in your story? Feel free to drop by this thread and honor their memory by letting us know more about their life, what made them so special, and feel free to share any personal stories about them! Hosted by @CathyTea .

The Kindness Bench for SimLit Writers and Storytellers - Feeling discouraged, frustrated, down, and just in need of a little inspiration and encouragement? The Kindness Bench is a place where you can post if you are in need of a little positive energy coming your way. When writer's block, game glitches, plot complications, or drops in readership strike, if you need friendly encouragement, then come sit on the Kindness Bench. (I can't tell you how much this thread has helped me out... in fact, the Stories and Legacies Index is still here thanks to the encouragement of those on the Kindness Bench! It's an excellent resource!) Hosted by @CathyTea .

The Writer's Hangout - Contrary to it's title, this thread isn't a hangout thread, but a promotion thread. Looking for a place to promote your new story chapters without feeling like you are interrupting a conversation or spamming? Then this is the place for you! The promotions on this thread also typically include graphical splash banners, so if you are the kind of reader that likes a "cover image" to catch your attention, this is a good thread to browse for reading material, similar to browsing the book covers in a bookstore!
    Post edited by mastressalita on
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    edited June 2017
    Doing Amendments in the Stories and Legacies Index

Here is a tutorial on how to do Amendments (that means to submit a change to information for an entry already listed in the index).

There are no longer separate forms like there were on the forums. This a) breaks the coding on the site so the submission form can't work and therefore isn't possible to do anyway and b) in hindsite just seemed clunky to me when one form with an extra box for "new entry" or "amendment" makes for a much easier and cleaner presentation.

This information is right on the front page of the site, under the submission Guidelines. I have now put it in bold text, since it seems no one is able to find it.

tut01.jpg

Here is an example of filling out a submission form when you want to amend (change) information.

tut02.jpg

Note the area on the form where it says "Is this a new entry or are you amending a previous entry?" There is a drop-down box. You simply pick "Amendment" since that is what you are doing -- you are just making an amendment (changes) to an entry already in the index.

Fill out the form with the things that are staying the same the same, but with any changes made on the form. In my example, I changed the frequency field. My entry is "Weekly" but I've changed it to "Monthly" in this tutorial example.

Many people are super excited about the searchable subject tags that are now on stories! If you want to add them to your story, this is the field where you type those in. Check the Subject Search page to see the subject tags already available. It is always best to pick tags already in use before asking for several new tags to be made (I will make new tags depending on if I feel they have a broad use/appeal). Tags that WON'T be used are the name of your story (if someone knows the title of your story, they can type the title into the search box on the front page of the site), names of specific characters from your stories, and really specific subjects (going slightly broader on a subject topic so it can encompass a few more stories is a bit more helpful. For example, for my Cat Chronicles I am using a subject: animals tag, not subject: cats, which is far too narrow.) Good tags are any challenges that apply to your story, any genres, and specific subject topics that play heavily for your story (for example, don't pick the subject: aliens tag if an alien appears in a single chapter; if your main character is an alien, however, this is a perfect use of the subject: aliens tag!)

While subject tags aren't required for an entry, they are helpful for readers to filter content and search for stories based on genres, topics, and challenges that interest them, so adding them in a good idea!

Finally, you will find a generic "Additional Information" box. Here you can explain your changes if you need to (for example "I have moved my website to a new URL" or "I needed to change my update frequency" or "I would like to add some search tags". As you can see in my example, I've also added a short (think "Tweet-length") synopsis of my story to add to my entry. This was something not possible in the forums due to character limitations on posts, but now I can include them since the index is on Wordpress, so if you want to add one, just type one up there (again, Tweet-length, don't go out of hand!) and it will be added to your entry!

And that's it. Hit Submit, and I will get the form the same as I would any other entry. The fact it is marked as an "Amendment" tells me it is already in the index, and I need to make changes to the entry. It's that simple!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    edited June 2017
    Thread Etiquette

Please note the Stories and Legacies Index Gateway threads are not open advertisement threads. If you are looking for places to openly share a story link on the forums, check out the Writer's Hangout or Have a story blog or fan-site? threads.

If you have a link you want to submit to be listed with the Stories and Legacies Index, please check the first post of this thread to go to the Stories and Legacies Index Wordpress. The Guidelines and Submission Form can be found there. Do not post your link to this thread.

Authors registered with the Stories and Legacies Index may get highlighted in the nightly newsfeed. The purpose of the newsfeed is to encourage folks to go to the index to check out these works; please don't hotlink your story in these threads if you are featured in the newsfeed. The newsfeed states that folks can find your work listed with the index, and if they go there to get it, they may find lots of other interesting new stories to read in this massive virtual library, too. The newsfeed is not only to spread Simlit news, but also to make people more aware of all the amazing stories and resources available if they visit the Stories and Legacies Index link more often.

Thanks for understanding!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    edited January 2017
    *reserved*
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    *reserved*
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    *reserved*
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    *reserved*
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    *reserved*
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    *reserved*
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    The Stories and Legacies Index welcomes four new members today! Thanks to @Eliavah , @jaynnick , @Tacoman763 , and @fabtiffsim for submitting links to their stories! Please be sure to visit the directory listing at the Stories and Legacies Index to check out their sites!

The Monthly Site Updates section has also been updated for the day with all registered members updates for April 7th! Happy readings!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    edited April 2016
    The Stories and Legacies Index welcomes @RosemaryMariee to its listing today, so be sure to drop by and check out her work!

Remember, if you have a Sim story, please do stop by and add the link to your work, we'd love to have you in the listing!

The Monthly Site Updates has also been updated today with all story updates from registered members of the Index for April 8th, so be sure to check them out! Have a wonderful Friday!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    The Stories and Legacies Index welcomes @RosemaryMariee to its listing today, so be sure to drop by and check out her work!

Remember, if you have a Sim story, please do stop by and add the link to your work, we'd love to have you in the listing!

The Monthly Site Updates has also been updated today with all story updates from registered members of the Index for April 8th, so be sure to check them out! Have a wonderful Friday!

Oh, awesome! I love @RosemaryMariee 's stories! In fact, I'd love to give them a shout out! Can I do that here, @mastressalita ?
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    @CathyTea : There is a thread where I keep track of shoutouts, which is located here. There is a little form there you post with the story name, author, URL, and optionally your reason for a shoutout.
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    @CathyTea : There is a thread where I keep track of shoutouts, which is located here. There is a little form there you post with the story name, author, URL, and optionally your reason for a shoutout.

Thank you! Would you remind us of that on the Writers' Lounge every now and then? Or I guess, I could, too! I'll fill it out tomorrow!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    I really should, because both February and March I was the only one that did Shoutouts (thankfully a few other people have placed them this month so I won't have to be the only one again!) The whole purpose for this thread is trying to raise the awareness of some of the threads that are over in the Stories and Legacies section that are being missed by the folks that never step outside of Sims 4 Stories and Legacies. There are some cool and useful things for the SimLit community at large over there, too!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    The Stories and Legacies Index welcomes two new authors, @KaytayRoall who is writing a Sims 3 Going Solo Challenge and @JadeKadoa who has submitted two Sims 4 legacies! Please stop by to check out their work and to submit your own story links!

All updates from authors registered with the Index have now been added to the Monthly Site Updates, so stop by to see the latest updates for some weekend reading!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    The Stories and Legacies Index welcomes a new submission by @Tigerblu11 , The Soul Connection, a new fantasy/horror/drama series! Please drop by and check it out!

If you have a Sim story, please drop by Stories and Legacies Index and add your link! All stories are welcome, no matter the style or the game used! Don't be shy to add your work!

As a bonus of registering your work with the Stories and Legacies Index, all your chapter updates get featured as they are released! Here are all the updates of registered authors that were released today, added to the Monthly Site Updates section! Enjoy all those new chapter releases!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Here is this week's installment of my reader's advisory column, Weekly Reading Roundup!

Edition #15: Call the Doctor!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Today the Stories and Legacies Index has welcomed @remi_narrow , who is doing a legacy challenge for The Sims 4!

As it is National Library Week this week, please do stop by Stories and Legacies Index, the official SimLit library on these forums, and add your story to our shelves if you haven't already! Collection growth won't happen unless the authors make the effort to add their lovely story links!

All those authors registered with the Index that have released new chapters today now have their releases listed on the Monthly Site Updates! You can scan this section to quickly see all the new releases for not only today, but up to the past month!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Today the Stories and Legacies Index welcomed @BlackenedHole , who is writing a Sims 3 ISBI/Rainbowacy, and a new story by @Simslover163 , a Sims 4 legacy! Please drop by and check them out, and as always, if you have a story and haven't submitted your link, please do add it to the listing, we'd love to have you!

The Monthly Site Updates has been updated with all releases for today by authors registered with the Index. Enjoy!

Finally, for National Library Week I'd like to remind readers that if they have a story they love, please take the time to drop by the Monthly Story and Legacy Shoutouts Thread and give it a shoutout! It can really brighten an author's day to know that their story is enjoyed!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    The Stories and Legacies Index has updated its Monthly Site Updates section with all releases for today for any authors that have their works registered with the Index.

Want your updates featured? Then please come come register your story!

The Stories and Legacies Shoutouts Thread received two shoutouts today, which is awesome! Thank you to @Spottydog714 and @Sterretjeee for leaving shoutouts. @Marialein received a shoutout for Amazon Challenge Tribe Naheli and @IchigoUsagi received a shoutout for Project A.N.I.M.E.. If you have a story you enjoy, please do drop by and leave it a shoutout!

Finally, today for National Library Week I would like to remind readers of these various resources for story information and recommendations around the forums!

Weekly Reading Roundup - This is a readers' advisory thread where every week, a selection of SimLit on a various theme is sampled and then key information such as the current length, a plot summary, the writing style, and some of the highlights are briefly discussed. This can be a great way to learn a bit more about a story to see if it would be the sort of thing that would catch your fancy, similar to reading the blurb on the back of a book! All featured stories are also arranged by subject in the first few posts of the thread.

The Writer's Hangout - Want to promote your story but don't have the time to chat? The Writer's Hangout is a place welcoming of link-dropping notifications of your new chapters, so feel free to drop and run... here, it's totally okay! This is also a great place to scan for story titles, since most folks here use graphical cover images on their ads which may help catch the attention, much like the cover of a book.

Book Club - Do you love reading SimLit? Join the book club hosted by CathyTea! Every week is a new story for you to enjoy, with guided discussions available every Friday! There is also a listing on the front post of all past titles, which can be used as a great reference if you are looking for something new to read!

Project Index - This thread invites readers to sample works listed in various linked indexes in the opening post, and then to discuss their readings on the thread. This can be a great way to learn more about the SimLit in the community, share your reading experiences, or ask for recommendations!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    The Stories and Legacies Index is updated with all new chapters and videos posted today by all registered authors. Check them out!

Today for National Library Week, I'd like to remind everyone of these useful threads around the forum for SimLit authors, new and old!

A Quick Guide to SimLit - This guide by Julyvee94 is excellent for those getting started in SimLit! If you are thinking about writing SimLit and have no idea where to start, this guide will get you pointed in the right direction!

Short Story Challenges - Do you love short stories, or just want to try your hand at theme writing? Check out the Short Story Challenges hosted by Carewren123, where every month there is a new theme to write about in 500-1500 words using 1-12 screencaps. Challenging, but so much fun both to read and write! This thread is warm and welcoming of all authors, so even if you are a new writer, we'd love to have you! This is a great way to get practice; I can say I believe I've become a better writer myself from challenging myself with the short story themes each month!

The Art of Storytelling - Looking for thoughtful discussion on focused topics about writing SimLit? Then check out the Art of Storytelling thread! Whether you are a new author or have finished legacies under your belt, all are welcome to share their experiences and ask questions! This can be a very insightful thread for the SimLit writer!

The Writers' Workshop - Looking for some guided help on your stories? Need some critical feedback or other guidance or help with writing? Then check out the Writers' Workshop to get specific help on your work from other writers in the community!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    edited April 2016
    Today the Stories and Legacies Index is proud to welcome @pixiejuice , who submitted a Sims 4 story, Postcards from Sierra Nova, an "ongoing drama/romance/sci-fi following several interlinked families over the years as Earth encounters its first extraterrestrial war." Please drop by and check it out, and add your own story links if you haven't already!

The Monthly Site Updates are now updated to have all those Friday releases by all registered index authors, so have fun getting started on your weekend reading!

Today is the last day of National Library Week (well, unless you are unfortunate enough to have to work your library job tomorrow... wah wah, my Saturday to work fell tomorrow, so guess who gets to deal with the programming rush?) I'm a bit frazzled from the library conference I attended today, but I think today I'd just like to remind everyone of how fortunate we all are to have such an awesome community of SimLit enthusiasts here on the forums!

Please be sure to check out both the Stories and Legacies and the Sims 4 Stories and Legacies sections of the forum, and leave your pre-conceived notions about the game you play at the door: both of these sections welcome Simmers from any Sims title to stop in and make themselves at home, and each have their own great resources available for the SimLit community!

If you are looking to make friends and build community with other SimLit authors, Sims and Friends: Share Your Stories!! from the Stories and Legacies section and Writers' Lounge from the Sims 4 Stories and Legacies section are both great threads that you should definitely visit!

And if you enjoy live chat, I have set up a chatroom on IRC located here. It runs in a browser window, requires no registration or software, you simply type in a username and hit connect! I'm usually around in the evenings Mountain US Standard Time, and if anyone wanted to set up a time to chat, send me a PM and I'm always willing to try to work something out as schedule allows!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Today the Stories and Legacies Index has added two stories by @Eileen0001 , a Sims 2 story called Cederville Heights and a Sims 4 Simblr story, Delios Legacy, so please stop by, check them out, and add your own story links to the Index if you haven't done so yet!

The Monthly Site Updates also has been updated for the day with all new chapters released today by registered authors, so check it out! There were lots of releases today!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    The Stories and Legacies Index has updated the Monthly Site Updates with all registered authors' updates for today, so be sure to check it out if you want a listing of the newest chapter releases!

Want your new chapter releases featured? Then please go submit your story to the Stories and Legacies Index! I'll monitor your releases automatically using Wordpress Reader, Blogger Reading List, EA forum notifications, YouTube subscriptions, and Tumblr Dashboard!

There will be no new Weekly Reading Roundup edition this week, as I've been working hard on preparing my Blogaversary post for next Tuesday, but I encourage everyone to go there and check through the past editions for some excellent reading material! A new Weekly Reading Roundup edition will be returning May 1st!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top