Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lucy Bradshaw & Rachel Franklin talking about Sims 4

halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
edited August 2015 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
This is an interesting interview made last year with the two ladies.
at 16:52 the interviewer asks about their thoughts on the reception of the game which he said it is "Mixed"
What are your thoughts?

https://youtu.be/yOiYMtwINXI[/youtube]
Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
giphy.gif

Comments

• KiwicantdieKiwicantdie Posts: 1,305 Member
    Well, they've been honest. The one thing I like the most about this is how positive the felt about the game.
    KEBB11a.png
    Origin ID: Kiwicantdie
    Willow Creek | Evergreen Harbor
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    I liked how Rachel answered the question regarding death and how it's handled. That was then pushed aside when they said the modders make things they've never thought of... That annoyed me. I don't know why.

I turned off with about 7 minutes left.

--T
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    To7m wrote: »
    I liked how Rachel answered the question regarding death and how it's handled. That was then pushed aside when they said the modders make things they've never thought of... That annoyed me. I don't know why.

--T

Maybe it's time to replace some of their developers with some of the modders, if their own have no new ideas.

• To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    To7m wrote: »

--T

Maybe it's time to replace some of their developers with some of the modders, if their own have no new ideas.

Did you get impression too? I wasn't sure if that's what I'm feeling but I think it must be. That answer really irked me lol and I wasn't sure why.

--T
  • Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    Ah okay, they just haven't explained good enough what awesome capabilities this game has. I see. (does farting noise)
    This space is for rent.
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    First time I have seen this. I thought it was very interesting and it certainly hasn't put me off the game in any way. Indeed, I actually found it quite encouraging, especially in the light of the nature of the GT EP.

They both seemed invested in their project and for me they have achieved one of their goals of giving me a set of tools where I can exercise my imagination.

I especially like the part where they talked about emergent gameplay. I have had so much of this from this game. I spend ages setting up the environment, the initial starting conditions to create new situations and behaviours from my Sims which I also love making.

Didn't see anything not to like here.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • carla70carla70 Posts: 575 Member
    I think they also have to realize it is really hard to enjoy the game if your sims don't fit into the world themselves. The whole world plays a important role in the stories you want to create with your sims. I know for me personally playing my fantasy type of Sims don't really fit in the world when I look through their scenery.original.jpg
    Here are some Examples of my Own created world.
    original.jpg

My sims all Fantasy and Fairytale fit in this world. I created this world so they could have a place where they all belong. The whole world had this theme, I could get the same type of view from a car and also following them to their destination. The submersion in the game took it to a WOW factor and made it easy for my stories.

Sims 4 Doesn't provide the world editing tool for me to change any real atmosphere. I can get a shot of the sims and there in the background of all my fantasy type houses you see city buildings you see houses that doesn't fit the whole theme. You even have random Sims imposing. Load screens even make it worse. GTW not giving you the ability to tell your stories there hurts too. That ended up very linear gameplay and really just to have another sim become a doctor and do the same thing gets boring fast.

If they decide not to do a open sandbox world they should have a way to make your own. Not to mention putting back in the Sims stages of life.
    Just my opinion.
  • Alysha1988Alysha1988 Posts: 3,452 Member
    As executive producer of this trainwreck, I don't think I can sit and listen to 20 minutes of Rachel Franklin. The wound definitely has not had time to heal.
  • InvaderchickycatInvaderchickycat Posts: 809 Member
    carla70 wrote: »
    I think they also have to realize it is really hard to enjoy the game if your sims don't fit into the world themselves. The whole world plays a important role in the stories you want to create with your sims. I know for me personally playing my fantasy type of Sims don't really fit in the world when I look through their scenery.original.jpg
    Here are some Examples of my Own created world.
    original.jpg

My sims all Fantasy and Fairytale fit in this world. I created this world so they could have a place where they all belong. The whole world had this theme, I could get the same type of view from a car and also following them to their destination. The submersion in the game took it to a WOW factor and made it easy for my stories.

Sims 4 Doesn't provide the world editing tool for me to change any real atmosphere. I can get a shot of the sims and there in the background of all my fantasy type houses you see city buildings you see houses that doesn't fit the whole theme. You even have random Sims imposing. Load screens even make it worse. GTW not giving you the ability to tell your stories there hurts too. That ended up very linear gameplay and really just to have another sim become a doctor and do the same thing gets boring fast.

If they decide not to do a open sandbox world they should have a way to make your own. Not to mention putting back in the Sims stages of life.
    Just my opinion.

That is a lovely world. Is it available for download?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited August 2015
    I think the Sims 4 is trying to be like a sitcom game except without the laugh track thankfully. But yes very noticeable that is the interview in which they said the game is less of a life simulation game and more a game about drama. But drama without consequences or bad things is just plain boring.

But here is an interview a year later in which the Sims 4 is referred to more of a single Sim experience:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjvoWZvHpKs
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited August 2015
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    I can't listen to Rachel and Lucy. I have no respect for them as women gamers/developers/producers. They seem to be imitating "the big boys" and their mindset of this being a kid's game doesn't sit well with me. So much potential wasted by these two ladies...such a shame.
    Even Brianna Wu is a better female game developer.

Why do you both feel the need to emphasized the fact that they are women and they are in the video game industry? It's not relevant.

About the interview...to me is same old same old. I don't believe anything they say, they lied too many times and their speech is so corporate like that it makes me ill. Same goes for Ex-Broguru Ryan. The only guru I can listen too without feeling angry is Azure.

typos, typos everywhere...
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • PrincessSaturnPrincessSaturn Posts: 564 Member

I love how Rachel couldn't form a whole sentence until the other thing spoke the BS about players having gotten used to a linear path of gameplay. Its pretty sad that (even though she may just be putting out vague PR statements for EA and feeling differently) one person who has been involved in development for so long in a series generalizes and dismisses the core of the complaints while ignoring the progress that she's witnessed. Unbelievable.
    edited August 2015
    Actually it IS relevant. Even articles as late as last year still paint the industry as a mans world and many women do not hold top positions. There are articles all over the place about how females are treated in the gaming industry, with less pay, lower positions and harrassment among the top issues.
    It matters. Women need to shine if their talents are going to be recognised, not make a complete muckup of the game they're developing / producing.

No, they shouldn't have to pay special attention to be recognised just because they're female, but sadly, with a lot of the whole "frat boy" thing going on in the industry, so I've read, then it's sad, but true.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Sims with different traits play differently is she lying to herself or just the players.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • stacylynn79stacylynn79 Posts: 269 Member
    I haven't watched the video, and doing so might make me angry, so I'll pass, and save myself the cell data.

Based on the comments in this thread, I'll say this:

It sounds like they're giving the EA spin on a poorly developed game. They have no choice but to be positive about it, because what would u, as a player, think if they start bashing their own game. You would become even more disappointed and it would also hurt sales, because who would buy a game where even the ppl who make it hate it? I wouldn't - if I were unbiased about the game.

It sounds like they're trying to change what the game is about by lying to us. And, now, I guess all along it was supposed to be a linear game to begin with. And the cartoony graphics are because it's supposed to be a children's game, because, you know, forget all those pitiful adults who play it, we'll pretend they don't exist for the sake of explaining why we have the crappy parts of this game.

That's my angry two cents, and nothing can change my mind about this hot pile of 🐸🐸🐸🐸 they've given us, no matter how they try to spin it.
  • anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    Sims with different traits play differently is she lying to herself or just the players.

or have never played the game and not see that it sadly isn't so in sims4
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    @stacylynn79
    I haven't watched the video, and doing so might make me angry, so I'll pass, and save myself the cell data.

Based on the comments in this thread, I'll say this:

It sounds like they're giving the EA spin on a poorly developed game. They have no choice but to be positive about it, because what would u, as a player, think if they start bashing their own game. You would become even more disappointed and it would also hurt sales, because who would buy a game where even the ppl who make it hate it? I wouldn't - if I were unbiased about the game.

It sounds like they're trying to change what the game is about by lying to us. And, now, I guess all along it was supposed to be a linear game to begin with. And the cartoony graphics are because it's supposed to be a children's game, because, you know, forget all those pitiful adults who play it, we'll pretend they don't exist for the sake of explaining why we have the crappy parts of this game.

That's my angry two cents, and nothing can change my mind about this hot pile of 🐸🐸🐸🐸 they've given us, no matter how they try to spin it.

but even more depressing is the idea that those developers actually find their own product outstanding :confused:

& i guess it's the same video where they laugh about the question if they hired some psychologist & sociologist advisers to make real emotions for sims because they prefered instead to make it a cheap sitcom drama, which surely is enough for all the silly sims players :confused:

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    First time I have seen this. I thought it was very interesting and it certainly hasn't put me off the game in any way. Indeed, I actually found it quite encouraging, especially in the light of the nature of the GT EP.

They both seemed invested in their project and for me they have achieved one of their goals of giving me a set of tools where I can exercise my imagination.

I especially like the part where they talked about emergent gameplay. I have had so much of this from this game. I spend ages setting up the environment, the initial starting conditions to create new situations and behaviours from my Sims which I also love making.

You know what, knowing you use mods to make these Sims 'better' so they aren't bipolar, and or the failure states are more like the TS2 with Zerbu mods installed etc. I find it funny so many use those mods, but then praise the developers for helping their imagination when it is the mods that are helping them obtain a more sandbox game as in the past, and correcting emotions, whims, and reactions to be more inline with the older games. I'm sorry but I just can't support anyone anymore who says how great this game is and it's potential when they have altered the very things most of the people unhappy with the TS4 are griping about. No, it's not a great game if you play it as intended. At that is the problem. It is linear not only with it's linear career directives but in it's model of how to continue it, with one focus on YA.

It's restrictive, reactions and interactions aren't there, failure states don't exist, and way too boring. Let alone no longer a life simulator simulation animations but slot popping galore.

Now, we had this discussion on another thread but sorry you should say "disclaimer" I have mods installed to change everything they did in this game so I can enjoy it.

OK. They have made software that INCLUDES MOD SUPPORT. It is part of the game. It opens up another way of playing the game. It is another way to allow some players to exercise their imagination should they wish to do so. It allows the player to customise the game at varying levels - either by using mods or creating them themselves. I believe that this is a viable playstyle. You may not. There we have it.

As for the emotions part, this will be the third time I have explained this to you - I do not use mods that affect the emotions of the sims on my main game save. I can control emotions, moods etc to MY satisfaction by using the standard mechanics the game gives me. My sims are not bipolar as you are fond of saying (Oh BTW, I am), unless I decide I can somehow do a mimicry of that and indeed am working on custom trait to do exactly that. That will be for me and me alone. The game lets me do that! I have managed to make my sims very unique by careful micromanagement.

The mods I currently use are primarily for capping population, locking doors, so I can put multiple families on a lot, prevention of object fading when zoomed in, quick access to editing in CAS, quick sim switching, making a darker progress circle, so I can see it, disabling some walks that irritate me and a camera/lighting mod and more precise control over outfits. Currently, I don't have one mod by Zerbu installed.

I do use a whole pile of mods, more autonomy, Affective emotions, etc on some save games I have for experimental purposes which also exercises MY imagination.

I also have save files that I can run that are pure vanilla. These I use for experimenting so I can see the boundaries of the base mechanics to give me a frame of reference for when I do add mods that affect gameplay.

I paid about 25 quid for the base game and it has given me piles of stuff to do and I have found it absolutely brilliant for MY imagination and I am happy.

I do get significant amounts of emergent gameplay from the game as I actually play it, a lot.

In fact if you ever read any of my posts when I am giving advice in those short threads where someone needs some help. I will explain exactly what I do, what mods I have installed and try and make my instructions as clear as possible in order to help others enjoy playing the game whether they have mods installed or not.

Anything else or do I need to ship a vial of blood over to you?
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • KarmaKarma Posts: 837 Member

but even more depressing is the idea that those developers actually find their own product outstanding :confused:

Somebody should tell the special snowflakes that...well, you know...be a bush, if you can't be a tree...or something.

WsYdHZD.jpg

Cinebar wrote: »

You know what, knowing you use mods to make these Sims 'better' so they aren't bipolar, and or the failure states are more like the TS2 with Zerbu mods installed etc. I find it funny so many use those mods, but then praise the developers for helping their imagination when it is the mods that are helping them obtain a more sandbox game as in the past, and correcting emotions, whims, and reactions to be more inline with the older games. I'm sorry but I just can't support anyone anymore who says how great this game is and it's potential when they have altered the very things most of the people unhappy with the TS4 are griping about. No, it's not a great game if you play it as intended. At that is the problem. It is linear not only with it's linear career directives but in it's model of how to continue it, with one focus on YA.

It's restrictive, reactions and interactions aren't there, failure states don't exist, and way too boring. Let alone no longer a life simulator simulation animations but slot popping galore.

Now, we had this discussion on another thread but sorry you should say "disclaimer" I have mods installed to change everything they did in this game so I can enjoy it.

yes, mods altering the intented gameplay & mods adding gameplay where there is none included is not what i payed for as i bought TS4

additional to all those mods like the NoCulling mod, which save the remains of gameplay for simmers
    is especially the case MCCC not modding anymore, this is programming & game development already
    such mods let the developers out of their obligation to program TS4 in the first place
    & they enable the devs to just cash in on the work of modders

& i also think those modders, if they have at least little self respect shouldn't be part of that TS4 charade going on

edited August 2015
    OK. They have made software that INCLUDES MOD SUPPORT. It is part of the game. It opens up another way of playing the game. It is another way to allow some players to exercise their imagination should they wish to do so. It allows the player to customise the game at varying levels - either by using mods or creating them themselves. I believe that this is a viable playstyle. You may not. There we have it.

As for the emotions part, this will be the third time I have explained this to you - I do not use mods that affect the emotions of the sims on my main game save. I can control emotions, moods etc to MY satisfaction by using the standard mechanics the game gives me. My sims are not bipolar as you are fond of saying (Oh BTW, I am), unless I decide I can somehow do a mimicry of that and indeed am working on custom trait to do exactly that. That will be for me and me alone. The game lets me do that! I have managed to make my sims very unique by careful micromanagement.

The mods I currently use are primarily for capping population, locking doors, so I can put multiple families on a lot, prevention of object fading when zoomed in, quick access to editing in CAS, quick sim switching, making a darker progress circle, so I can see it, disabling some walks that irritate me and a camera/lighting mod and more precise control over outfits. Currently, I don't have one mod by Zerbu installed.

I do use a whole pile of mods, more autonomy, Affective emotions, etc
    on some save games I have for experimental purposes which also exercises MY imagination.

I also have save files that I can run that are pure vanilla. These I use for experimenting so I can see the boundaries of the base mechanics to give me a frame of reference for when I do add mods that affect gameplay.

I paid about 25 quid for the base game and it has given me piles of stuff to do and I have found it absolutely brilliant for MY imagination and I am happy.

I do get significant amounts of emergent gameplay from the game as I actually play it, a lot.

i think the main question is
    do you get significant amounts of emergent gameplay from the vanilla game ?

i hope you understand the difference between a mod altering an existing gameplay
    & a program that allows other programms to add gameplay in the first place to make that programm a game at all

& i payed 55€ for TS4, the initial price
    in the same way as i have payed for the first 3 games since 2000

it is hard for me even just to imagine what it means that this franchise come to the state where it is a lot wiser to wait for sales than to buy at the initial price
    & for me it is simply completely out of question that i could have waited for a sale to purchase TS4
    out of question

because this was until TS4 happened my main game, where i have spent most of my gaming money & gaming time
    to wait for sales just takes place in a completely different gaming universe

sales of a TheSims game means for me the death of TheSims - it's simple as that

if that is the case from now on with this franchise, then i just don't want to be part of it AT ALL
    if this is the wise way to deal with TheSims from now on then i not even want to play the previous games anymore
    why ?
    because this would cheapen my previous love for this franchise & my devotion

if things are that bad with this franchise that to wait for a sale of the base game is the wise thing to do
    then for me this is just simple the END OF THE SIMS as a game i play

then i move on to other games
    & TheSims franchise will be my past & no more my present

if the devs of TS4 & TS5 & all the future iterations (if there should be any) think that this is the right way to develop games,
    then i surely don't want to & just won't be a part of it